• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
They're trying to actually make tanks a role people want to play, so good on them for that.
Yes, that's fine. But the changes to tanks and general game balance across the board have already done that, mission accomplished. The problem is now they're going too far with it. If all the bright, shiny new toys in the game belong to tanks, that single tank slot in the roster is going to lead to even bigger role queue headaches than DPS have dealt with.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I've played enough Destiny to know that whenever a developer removes a contentious reward system, the new one is just going to be hands down more brutal to engage with.

Did they go over how they intend to account for the broad range of characters vs. the characters that players actually want to play on the Battle Pass? Because if it's just going to be "Oh, you have 100 levels that we might cover 30% of the roster on per season" that's going to be the easiest Battle Pass to ever pass on.

I play Winston, Moira, and Ana for the most part. I'm not going to be dropping money on a battle pass that only has legendary Reinhardt and Lucio skins in a season.
Isn't that a good thing? If a battlepass comes without any skins you want, you can just skip it and save your money

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
They absolutely should not be doing that.

Supports take up as many spots in a match as DPS yet there's less than half as many support characters as DPS, even with the new support coming out this year.

Plus, by the end of this year, in an almost four year span year span since Baptiste released, there will be two added DPS, THREE tanks not counting Doomfist, and only one new support.

We should be getting at least like 5 supports in a row.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I wonder what happened to OW2 site.
Also no new reworks at all for 2nd beta? Not even Moira or Sym?...

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

They've said Sym should be getting a lot of changes, but not a rework, since rework implies new animations and sound effects.

Not sure if it'll make it to this beta or next.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Cool that Blizzard just lied about how they are treating this game, they are just shutting down the original overwatch and just expect me to download the F2P version of Overwatch. Blizzard was one of my favorite developers for like 20 years and now everything they have done for the past 2 years has been too piss me off.
what did they lie about?? when they first announced OW2 years ago they said it would replace OW1
the goal of this new beta is consoles, cross play, and server stability. reworks take time. Moira specifically i know they were mentioning some options but were running out of buttons for things. also Sym has had like 3 reworks already. she used to be a support hero and give people shields

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
what did they lie about?? when they first announced OW2 years ago they said it would replace OW1

No, they never actually said that, its one of the frustrating things that has lead to a ton of misconception of the game. They've said OW1 players will be able to play with OW2 players, they've said the there will be 1 OW community, but they've never made it clear that OW1 would be going away most of us are just inferring that.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Stolen from Reddit

14tgcpo1j4691.jpg

6dt6apo1j4691.jpg
If this summary on the video is accurate then damn, guess I gotta spend all my credits during Remix 3. Was hoping I could use them on new OW2 stuff.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, they never actually said that, its one of the frustrating things that has lead to a ton of misconception of the game. They've said OW1 players will be able to play with OW2 players, they've said the there will be 1 OW community, but they've never made it clear that OW1 would be going away most of us are just inferring that.

I'm not really sure what's ambiguous. They've always said that it will be the same maps and same modes for OW1 and 2 players, meaning the same progression regardless. The only thing that would be ambiguous would be that maybe there would be an OW1 executable that just ran the same game as OW2 for some reason? But the one thing I felt they were always clear on is that Overwatch 2 was the new thing and everyone would be playing the same game modes and maps together for PvP.
For all original players of Overwatch, you will get to play on all of the same maps as Overwatch 2 players, including all of the brand new maps. And you will get to play with all of the same heroes. It will be a shared multiplayer environment where no one gets left behind

How can that be taken any other way, other than the PvP would be the replaced regardless? Feel like the old model would only have added a 2 to your title screen and launcher if you bought the PvE maybe. But they've been clear to me that PvP was going to work the exact way it is working

Oct 8, 2019

the goal of this new beta is consoles, cross play, and server stability. reworks take time. Moira specifically i know they were mentioning some options but were running out of buttons for things. also Sym has had like 3 reworks already. she used to be a support hero and give people shields

They sure as hell didnt say spend your coins now because they are going away when OW2 comes out. They still havent said that

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? They always said it would replace OW2. What did they lie about?

I feel like you're wetting way too angry over some of this and letting your emotions cloud the facts.
Honestly I thought when Jeff announced it on stage it was pretty clear, but you know all things considered, had Blizzard not been so fucking quiet about this game until these past recent months, people may still have remembered that or had it even further clarified than it previously was.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I thought when Jeff announced it on stage it was pretty clear, but you know all things considered, had Blizzard not been so fucking quiet about this game until these past recent months, people may still have remembered that or had it even further clarified than it previously was.

Yeah, the old guards mentality on radio silence was just terrible. The idea that we simply would have not gotten anything until holiday 2023 when the PvE campaign was fully ready would be madness.

While I think they were very clear on that point about PvP, it's still weird how we had a 41 minute event and STILL we're getting details from random interviews. So while the new team are doing a lot better with communication, there's still a lot to be done.

Last edited:

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty undeniable that the messaging and advertising for this game has been extremely poor and confusing. A lot of it has needed reasonable inferences from the community, and if you're not tapped into said community, it's easy to be left in the dark with the official communication.

In a lot of ways, the game's refocusing appears to be a reset for the franchise and dev team. 2020 and 2021 have clearly played more havoc with the development than any of us could've anticipated.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the old guards mentality on radio silence was just terrible. The idea that we simply would have not gotten anything until holiday 2023 when the PvE campaign was fully ready would be madness.

While I think theybwere very clear on that point about PvP, it's still weird how we had a 41 minute event and STILL we're getting details from random interviews. So while the new team are doing a lot better with communication, there's still a lot to be done.
That is just classic Blizzard lol. They've done that shit for a long time with WoW. Including the most recent Dragonflight expansion.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The messaging when they initially announced was that OW 1 players would be playing with OW 2 player implying some separation.

But that means same balance, same progression, same modes. There's no other way around that. So it was either what they're doing with OW2 replacing OW1, or there would inexplicably be two executables that play the same game, but still not a choice to play "OW1 PvP" or whatever.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The messaging when they initially announced was that OW 1 players would be playing with OW 2 player implying some separation.
Respectfully I just don't agree. Messaging was in no way perfect, but I did not get an implication of separation. This article is from 2019 and while it also is not explicit in OW1 going way, it speaks of the clarification they got about OW1 players and everything moving over to OW2:

www.gameinformer.com

Blizzard Officially Unveils Overwatch 2, Details New PvP And PvE Modes

After many leaks, Blizzard detailed exactly what players can expect from this ambitious sequel.

It's towards the bottom. I remember this because we all, pretty sure you included, had arguments about what do they actually mean back when it was announced.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty undeniable that the messaging and advertising for this game has been extremely poor and confusing. A lot of it has needed reasonable inferences from the community, and if you're not tapped into said community, it's easy to be left in the dark with the official communication.

In a lot of ways, the game's refocusing appears to be a reset for the franchise and dev team. 2020 and 2021 have clearly played more havoc with the development than any of us could've anticipated.
yes messaging has been awful. communication has been poor over the past few years. recently it's gotten a lot better and this "event" is more like a fresh start from a comms perspective. like weekly official blog posts and maybe monthly dev update videos would help a lot so people wouldn't need to chase outlet interviews and reddit AMAs.

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Respectfully I just don't agree. Messaging was in no way perfect, but I did not get an implication of separation. This article is from 2019 and while it also is not explicit in OW1 going way, it speaks of the clarification they got about OW1 players and everything moving over to OW2:

www.gameinformer.com

Blizzard Officially Unveils Overwatch 2, Details New PvP And PvE Modes

After many leaks, Blizzard detailed exactly what players can expect from this ambitious sequel.

It's towards the bottom. I remember this because we all, pretty sure you included, had arguments about what do they actually mean back when it was announced.

?
Since Blizzard didn't want to leave any of its players behind, all of the new PvP content in Overwatch 2 can be played in Overwatch 1. That's right, you don't need Overwatch 2 to play Overwatch 2's PvP content, you just need Overwatch 1.

I've literally have been correcting dozens of people on this issue for the past 2 years. They muddled the messaging terribly. All they had to do was to say OW2 would replace OW1. and this was before the 5v5 announcement as well. I always thought it would be replaced because their main goal was to keep the community together but a lot of people were confused on it.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
yes messaging has been awful. communication has been poor over the past few years. recently it's gotten a lot better and this "event" is more like a fresh start from a comms perspective. like weekly official blog posts and maybe monthly dev update videos would help a lot so people wouldn't need to chase outlet interviews and reddit AMAs.
They've been doing something close to weekly blogs, during the leadup and during the first beta. There's been a break recently, prior to this reveal event. Hopefully something akin to that will continue after October

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think we knew from the beginning that OW1 and OW2 would be on the same servers as far as PvP goes, and that you'd be able to tell an OW2 player by the skin use, essentially. Jeff was very clear that they didn't want to separate the player base.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just assumed that Overwatch 2 would be replacing the whole install file for Overwatch 1 on all platforms since it is supposed to use a new engine.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
No loot boxes is huge for me. I hate loot boxes in the way they implemented them, i'd much prefer to just buy the skins I want outright than spend $40 hoping I get the skin i want. It was a huge reason I stopped playing.

This change alone has me way more interested in checking out 2.

Oct 8, 2019
What? They always said it would replace OW2. What did they lie about?

I feel like you're wetting way too angry over some of this and letting your emotions cloud the facts.

Tell me where they announced in the original announcement that they are going to force me to buy the best skins with actual money? Tell me where they are not going to carry over the original cash you got from Overwatch?

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No loot boxes is huge for me. I hate loot boxes in the way they implemented them, i'd much prefer to just buy the skins I want outright than spend $40 hoping I get the skin i want. It was a huge reason I stopped playing.

This change alone has me way more interested in checking out 2.
People are attached to Overwatch's lootboxes in particular because you didn't need to spend money at all to get what you wanted. Duplicate items from openimg boxes and simply leveling up by playing the game earned you credits, with the latter giving you yet another lootbox which could give you- you guessed it- more credits. The majority of event items were also recycled in their respective events and the Anniversary after awhile, so even if you didn't get enough credits in time to get the skin that year, you knew for a fact it was coming back at least twice next year.

Honestly? So long as you played like 5-10 games a day for a year or so, you'd be able to eventually have everything you want with thousands of credits to spare. All I wanted to do was max out Lucio's cosmetics. I have everything of his, and 21k credits and 200 lootboxes to boot. I never spent a dime on lootboxes themselves.

This model is great for people who are willing to play the long game and be patient. But it wasn't making Blizzard money.

Tell me where they announced in the original announcement that they are going to force me to buy the best skins with actual money? Tell me where they are not going to carry over the original cash you got from Overwatch?

Not having information at the time =/= lying.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think we knew from the beginning that OW1 and OW2 would be on the same servers as far as PvP goes, and that you'd be able to tell an OW2 player by the skin use, essentially. Jeff was very clear that they didn't want to separate the player base.
Yea, the intention was always made clear. I think any tepid response at this point would be due to the delay in the release. I think we were expecting this updated version of OW a couple years ago? Maybe more now. A lot of interest in the franchise as a whole has been lost in the delay, and it being mostly the same game at this point is...idunno. Best of luck to them.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

They didn't announce anything about a future F2P model at the original announcements? It wasn't even planned to go F2P at announcement and with the old guard, so I'm not sure how this is lying exactly?

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
People are attached to Overwatch's lootboxes in particular because you didn't need to spend money at all to get what you wanted. Duplicate items from openimg boxes and simply leveling up by playing the game earned you credits, with the latter giving you yet another lootbox which could give you- you guessed it- more credits. The majority of event items were also recycled in their respective events and the Anniversary after awhile, so even if you didn't get enough credits in time to get the skin that year, you knew for a fact it was coming back at least twice next year.

Honestly? So long as you played like 5-10 games a day for a year or so, you'd be able to eventually have everything you want with thousands of credits to spare. All I wanted to do was max out Lucio's cosmetics I have everything of his, and 21k credits and 200 lootboxes to boot. I never spent a dime on lootboxes themselves.

This model is great for people who are willing to play the long game and be patient. But it wasn't making Blizzard money.

Part of the problem is that I only played occasionally. I never really accumulated enough to get what I wanted. I think last I played, I had enough coins to buy a skin i'd want, but it'd wipe me out again and it'd be a while before I could buy another.

It's a bit silly, but if I saw an event with a skin I wanted, i'd be more likely to play often because i'd want to buy that skin and then end up playing a bunch so I could play with the skin. Instead, what would usually happen is I'd see skins i'd want, but the chance of me being able to get enough currency during the event felt like a long shot without grinding in a way that wasn't really how I was wanting to engage with the game. So it made me want to play even less because I knew I wouldn't be able to get the skins i'd want.

It seems like it would have been for the best to have both approaches. Buy skins with free currency, and buy skins for a set price with paid currency. There's a lot of games that take that approach.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, the intention was always made clear. I think any tepid response at this point would be due to the delay in the release. I think we were expecting this updated version of OW a couple years ago? Maybe more now. A lot of interest in the franchise as a whole has been lost in the delay, and it being mostly the same game at this point is...idunno. Best of luck to them.
Gonna be honest, I don't know what people who say this doesn't look like a sequel really want. Even if it came out two years ago, what were they expecting, a complete abandonment of the gameplay and art style that defines the franchise???? The whole point of any sequel, I thought, was just more of what you liked in the original. Like, no shit it looks similar. Every sequel in most franchises looks the same unless you're deliberately Final Fantasy'ing or Zelda'ing it.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh battlepass instead of the loot box system they have now is awful, you would get what you wanted if you just saved up gold with this system.

Oct 8, 2019
The definition of "lie" is not "information I don't like."

They didn't announce anything about a future F2P model at the original announcements? It wasn't even planned to go F2P at announcement and with the old guard, so I'm not sure how this is lying exactly?

No Blizzard just has a habit of announcing something in some interview and then acting like the game is still the same as when they made some big announcement. Do you seriously buy the idea that the massive changes Warcraft III Reforged from the original announcement was because "Oh it turns out that fans dont want better cutscenes and changes that better setup the story of WoW"

They then said that they werent doing this but not in some video but in some interview at like Blizzcon 2019.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No Blizzard just has a habit of announcing something in some interview and then acting like the game is still the same as when they made some big announcement. Do you seriously buy the idea that the massive changes Warcraft III Reforged from the original announcement was because "Oh it turns out that fans dont want better cutscenes and changes that better setup the story of WoW"

They then said that they werent doing this but not in some video but in some interview at like Blizzcon 2019.

I mean that's WoW.

This is about Overwatch.

We knew in Blizzcon 2019 that Overwatch 1 and 2 would be folded into the same client. The only thing at the time we knew was paid was the PvE, which would be the only thing separating players from one another. The only thing that's really changed is that instead of a presumed single dollar amount for all the PvE content, it's being divvied up in the Battle Pass system.

Blizzard's communication with this game has been lackluster and scattershot. However, so far they have yet to outright lie or mislead anyone.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

We're talking about Overwatch.

You accused them of lying about something they did not lie about.

It's fine to not be happy with the decisions made for Overwatch 2 but making up things and accusing the developers of lying really isn't the way to go about expressing that unhappiness.

Oct 8, 2019
I mean that's WoW.

This is about Overwatch.

We knew in Blizzcon 2019 that Overwatch 1 and 2 would be folded into the same client. The only thing at the time we knew was paid was the PvE, which would be the only thing separating players from one another. The only thing that's really changed is that instead of a presumed single dollar amount for all the PvE content, it's being divvied up in the Battle Pass system.

Blizzard's communication with this game has been lackluster and scattershot. However, so far they have yet to outright lie or mislead anyone.

Activision Blizzard is one of the biggest video game companies in the world, at what point do we cross the line from incompetency to something they are intentionally doing? They had lackluster communication with Warcraft, Diablo, and Overwatch. The only reason Starcraft isnt included was because they havent put out anything recently.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Activision Blizzard is one of the biggest video game companies in the world, at what point do we cross the line from incompetency to something they are intentionally doing? They had lackluster communication with Warcraft, Diablo, and Overwatch. The only reason Starcraft isnt included was because they havent put out anything recently.
No one is arguing that the communication for Overwatch 2 has been great. Far from it, it's been an absolute nightmare.

But having shit communication doesn't mean they lied.

Like... you know what a lie is, right?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
No conversion of OW1 credit to OW2 credit? My head is spinning. I never wanted to spend credit on items I could potentially pull - I didn't engage with that on principle - I always hoped I'd be able to spend the credit on Battle Passes and such in the future. Going fire sale on last-gen skins sounds boring - I want OW2 Battle Passes and Mythics with OW1 credit.

But it was just a hope. What are ya gonna do, right? Can't be too generous to the people that stuck with OW since the 2020 drought, overflowing with soon-to-be-outdated credit.

Oct 8, 2019
No one is arguing that the communication for Overwatch 2 has been great. Far from it, it's been an absolute nightmare.

But having shit communication doesn't mean they lied.

Like... you know what a lie is, right?
Shouldnt this be a problem they fixed years ago after Reforged happened, then Immortals happened, now Overwatch 2? How does this happen so many times in so few years?

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldnt this be a problem they fixed years ago after Reforged happened, then Immortals happened, now Overwatch 2? How does this happen so many times in so few years?
I mean, yeah sure. But again, everyone already agrees with you that the communication has been terrible and should be better. Although for Overwatch's case, things have improved since the beta, with weekly blog updates and now this reveal event with a roadmap so we can see what's coming up.

If WoW fans are still suffering for poor communication, then I hope they fix that.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well for starters, everything you mentioned are distinctly different from each other. Development is difficult, doesn't matter how much money you have or throw at the problem. Reforged was scaled back, Shadowlands was scaled back, and OW2 has seemingly been aimless until likely the recent past year or two. It happens, it sucks, but what would you prefer Blizzard to do? They could NOT accomplish what they originally announced. They've acknowledged this and are trying to put their best foot forward with what they have. You can be upset at them for it, that's fine. But they didn't lie or deceive you like this was all the ACTUAL plan from the start.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
So that new Watchpoint pack isn't a pre-purchase for the PvE portion? I don't know who it's for other than the three people who don't own Overwatch 1 but also deeply care about beta access to OW2 and want two mediocre skins from owning the first game.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So that new Watchpoint pack isn't a pre-purchase for the PvE portion? I don't know who it's for other than the three people who don't own Overwatch 1 but also deeply care about beta access to OW2 and want two mediocre skins from owning the first game.
Honestly just look at it like it's some form of a starter pack for a f2p game. You get 2k credits, 2 unique skins, the first premium battle pass, and OW1 if for some reason you don't already have it despite being discounted for years. Value wise, it's not bad at all for what you're getting. The battle pass, credits, and skins alone cover the $40 imo.

Me and my friends bought it as soon as it went live.....and I have 0 regrets. Would do it again. The skins included are NOT the skins you get for having owned/played OW1 prior to OW2's release. Don't be silly, they are premium skins. Space Raider Cassidy and Soldier look amazing.

Oct 8, 2019
Well for starters, everything you mentioned are distinctly different from each other. Development is difficult, doesn't matter how much money you have or throw at the problem. Reforged was scaled back, Shadowlands was scaled back, and OW2 has seemingly been aimless until likely the recent past year or two. It happens, it sucks, but what would you prefer Blizzard to do? They could NOT accomplish what they originally announced. They've acknowledged this and are trying to put their best foot forward with what they have. You can be upset at them for it, that's fine. But they didn't lie or deceive you like this was all the ACTUAL plan from the start.

The go to example is Peter Molyneux, the guy tries to play himself off as this dreamer, who thinks big, and then announces stuff that he wants to do, then surprise it doesnt show up in the game, then he promises that next time his going to do better, and then that game comes out and the stuff he promised isnt in the games.

This peaked with Milo, a so called demo that's clearly all bullshit because Kinect could never do what Peter was claiming it could do.

Its clear that it had become a habit that Molyneux would just say anything to make the game he was making the most innovative game of all times, this wasnt a recent development with Peter, he got his start lying to Commodore about what company he ran.

This is the problem I have with Blizzard, this is 3 different franchises, with 3 different directors, and at some point it stops being incompetence, and instead makes me question if Blizzard has become like Peter Molyneux a guy who will say anything to make a buck.

I have put hundreds of hours into Overwatch I have played it pretty much every day for four years, and now I question why I even still want to support Blizzard, why I should continue playing Overwatch after supporting Blizzard since the original battle chest in 1996.

wowpedia.fandom.com

Warcraft: Battle Chest

Warcraft: Battle Chest is a compilation which includes the first two games and the first expansion set in the Warcraft series.

Last edited:

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Now if only we had a point of reference for what 2000 OW2 credit is worth compared to a Battle Pass and a Mythic skin (do we?)

I could guess 1000 OW2 credit costs $10 and that that's roughly what a paid Battle Pass would cost, but 🤷 Blizzard is already selling the next-gen currency, some context should go with it vs relying on assumptions.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Okay Charred Knight

You keep making these charges about Team 4 when you have failed to demonstrate even a basic understanding of Overwatch 2's features. Are you here just to be mad at Blizzard, or are you going to finally answer where Aaron, Geoff, or anyone else has deliberately lied or misled anyone about Overwatch 2?

Like, either put up or knock it off with the derail.