• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
they aren't on the same footing because within the past four stages the non playoff teams didn't play well enough to get into the playoffs.
And they may have had they had this character that the playoff teams now have. I used my OT change hypothetical in the NFL to explain why this is problematic earlier. If you were eliminated from the post season on the old overtime rules and then the NFL changed those rules for the playoff teams you would be rightfully livid with that change up that you never had access to use. And it isn't as if houston and seoul were that far behind from philly or london.

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
remixamerica.jpg

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
finals will be LAV and XL. Seems very likely now with these two matches not being all that close. Fusion probably loses to XL and GLA always loses to LAV.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
And they may have had they had this character that the playoff teams now have. I used my OT change hypothetical in the NFL to explain why this is problematic earlier. If you were eliminated from the post season on the old overtime rules and then the NFL changed those rules for the playoff teams you would be rightfully livid with that change up that you never had access to use. And it isn't as if houston and seoul were that far behind from philly or london.
The other teams earned the right to use this hypothetical advantage because they demonstrated enough flexibility to get to that point. If any of the non-playoff teams become god-tier with Nu-Hanzo, they'll have to show it off in season 2.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The other teams earned the right to use this hypothetical advantage because they demonstrated enough flexibility to get to that point. If any of the non-playoff teams become god-tier with Nu-Hanzo, they'll have to show it off in season 2.
Thats not addressing the point. The other teams used flexibility with the previous rules but now are receiving special advantages that the others didn't have that may have stymied the current playoff teams chances of being that flexible. This argument makes no sense again, imagine arguing that NFL teams deserved the right to receive special rule changes during the playoffs because they won with the previous sets of rules during the regular season (quite a distinct set of rules none the less). There would be an uproar and a justified one at that.

And before you try to suggest the NFL doesnt have to worry about balance, it absolutely does. They go through tons of rule proposals and changes every single off season. They are right now as we speak. They just, rightly, choose to hold off on shaking things up this drastically during a season of play-let alone during the apex of their season.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

if the only reason a team didn't make it into the playoffs is because they didn't have storm arrow / leap hanzo then they don't deserve to be there in the first place. everyone had the same tools to work with last stage and the three stages before that and the best teams regardless of the patch are now playing on the current one. that's how everyone knew this was going to work from the get go. the other six teams didn't have the rug pulled out from under them about the playoffs being on a new patch so your hypothetical is dumb. well more dumb.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Thats not addressing the point. The other teams used flexibility with the previous rules but now are receiving special advantages that the others didn't have that may have stymied the current playoff teams chances of being that flexible. This argument makes no sense again, imagine arguing that NFL teams deserved the right to receive special rule changes during the playoffs because they won with the previous sets of rules during the regular season (quite a distinct set of rules none the less). There would be an uproar and a justified one at that.

And before you try to suggest the NFL doesnt have to worry about balance, it absolutely does. They go through tons of rule proposals and changes every single off season. They are right now as we speak. They just, rightly, choose to hold off on shaking things up this drastically during a season of play-let alone during the apex of their season.
These special advantages that exist in playoffs are not tangibly more significant than any other special advantages afforded by any of the stage patches. SFS had a great stage 3 because of an excellent early start with Sombra. Philly took advantage of the aggressive-dive style of stage 2. The likelihood of any non-playoff team being able to make it to playoffs solely because of Nu-Hanzo - and not because of a myriad of other factors - hovers around zero. All the teams that didn't make it would not have made it if the only difference was the updated Hanzo.

If regular NFL seasons were divided into fifths, and then rule changes could be implemented between these quarters, then I believe rule changes only for the playoffs would be completely justified. Again, there is nothing more significant about the Hanzo change than any other mid-stage change. But because the precedent in the NFL is "rule changes occur between seasons", then a change only for playoffs would be ridiculous.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
if the only reason a team didn't make it into the playoffs is because they didn't have storm arrow / leap hanzo then they don't deserve to be there in the first place. everyone had the same tools to work with last stage and the three stages before that and the best teams regardless of the patch are now playing on the current one. that's how everyone knew this was going to work from the get go. the other six teams didn't have the rug pulled out from under them about the playoffs being on a new patch so your hypothetical is dumb. well more dumb.
Thats ridiculous. Hes the current version of OW, saying they don't deserve to use him because they couldn't succeed with a different set of rules for how he operated prior is like saying someone gets an extra queen in chess because they beat their friend in a game of checkers the game before. Theyre completely separate sets of rules and using one to justify an advantage in an entirely different set of rules is illogical (and yes thats an extreme comparison but again, current hanzo is the best dps in the game). But yes I guess me pointing out how silly this is to do during an ongoing season is dumb despite the fact that literally no other legitimate competitive scene/league would ever dare completely rework the rules of competition during an ongoing season-tournament. Let alone in the playoffs.

These special advantages that exist in playoffs are not tangibly more significant than any other special advantages afforded by any of the stage patches. SFS had a great stage 3 because of an excellent early start with Sombra. Philly took advantage of the aggressive-dive style of stage 2. The likelihood of any non-playoff team being able to make it to playoffs solely because of Nu-Hanzo - and not because of a myriad of other factors - hovers around zero. All the teams that didn't make it would not have made it if the only difference was the updated Hanzo.

If regular NFL seasons were divided into fifths, and then rule changes could be implemented between these quarters, then I believe rule changes only for the playoffs would be completely justified. Again, there is nothing more significant about the Hanzo change than any other mid-stage change. But because the precedent in the NFL is "rule changes occur between seasons", then a change only for playoffs would be ridiculous.
Suggesting the best dps hero in the game currently is not a huge advantage to have is getting disingenuous (hes the #1 pick on PC-xbx-PS for the last 3 months). Suggesting a probability you have no way of quantifying to be near 0, when two other non playoff teams missed out by a mere two games, is also getting a bit much for me.

You can believe that rule changes specifically for playoff teams in your NFL scenario would be justified. The grand majority of fans would not which is why we don't see this sort of thing happen in any serious sporting league. Again I think changing things for each stage is completely acceptable and how it should be. But for the finale the rules should be played how they last were the previous stage, with any new changes coming the season thereafter. What teams did previously on an entirely different set of rules has no bearing on the whether they get special treatment with new ones.

Last edited: