• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Also, can you explain how Pharah counters Sym? I've never seen anyone switch to Pharah to specifically counter a Sym before.
her long range is great to deal with turrets and her damage allows her to kill symmetra from a long distance, people don't play her much on pc cause she's pretty vulnerable to hitscans, and probably those curvy shields make her work harder, but she's the hardest counter to symmetra in a 1v1 situation, just as she's a nice counter to torbjorn

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Power creep happened because of heal creep. Remember at the start where Mercy's 60 hps was the strongest healing in the game? Now moira does 80 hps with her basic fire and even more once you include the orb and even more if you have ana backing her up with nade. I can't help but wonder how killable everything would be if they just nerfed all healing by a flat 20% or something.
As a main healer I can currently say I would quit the game on spot if they ever pull shit like this, healing rule is the hardest rule that can carry a team as it is, if they nurfed healing for even 2% I wouldn't wanna even look at the game ever again probably.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
her long range is great to deal with turrets and her damage allows her to kill symmetra from a long distance, people don't play her much on pc cause she's pretty vulnerable to hitscans, and probably those curvy shields make her work harder, but she's the hardest counter to symmetra in a 1v1 situation, just as she's a nice counter to torbjorn
Ah okay thanks, wish I knew how to play Pharah since good Symms are annoying as hell lol.

Speaking of which, you know any other (non-Pharah) Symm counters?
As a main healer I can currently say I would quit the game on spot if they ever pull shit like this, healing rule is the hardest rule that can carry a team as it is, if they nurfed healing for even 2% I wouldn't wanna even look at the game ever again probably.
Exactly, it's hard enough trying to keep everyone at full health with constant damage spam, nerfing heals would take all the fun out that role.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of which, you know any other (non-Pharah) Symm counters?
Before this meta i'd say at least 21 of the heroes(no joking, i play her a lot) but after this patch you have fewer options if either team is doing double shields lol

Usual counters are winston, reaper, pharah, brigitte(if you can outplay her, if you're gonna keep your shield up she'll just charge on it), and hog, since he can hook combo.

Dive heroes can be good(tracer, genji, dva) but you need to be smart and not fall for the turrets, as they were designed to deal with these heroes(but all of them can escape ther range), for supports, Moira might not be able to kill her but has a nice escape route, if you can hit shots, ana or zen work fine, and baptiste can win the 1v1 because immortality field gives you extra time to try.

If the enemy team has only one barrier hero, any ranged dps counters her as long as you keep your distance.

When playin 1v1s against symmetra your best option is killing her fast, if you got bad aim and your hero can't stun, the using cc/dashes to run is a better option. Symmetra is skinny but she is pretty harmless at long range, as long as you don't get in her beam's range you're good.

Beware of teleporters, if your team is getting destroyed by combos with those use D.va or winston to negate them, they might come with turrets and that technique can be pretty deadly

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Every time I play tank is a miserable experience. I'm trying to learn them, but just get absolutely melted every single time.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Winston Flying Aces is up, 200 OWL Tokens
m0qh8r6kgfj31.png

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
That skin doesn't look like it's worth 200 tokens. Especially compared to Mercy/Lucio skins. This looks like a basic OWL recolor.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Tokens don't roll over, do they? I think they gave out tokens once when they introduced League teams but I didn't use them. I don't even remember how to check.
league tokens stay there. you just have to go check under overwatch league. it also sucks that i stopped receiving it when i watched OWL. so i missed out on the zen skin and now winston.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Sorry for the off topic question! But I can finally upgrade my internet in October from 10 download / 1 upload to 50 down / 10 up (yay!), Being in the middle of Canada my ping to overwatch US servers is usually 80-120 on a wired connection.

My question is will I see any improvements? How much down/up speed is Overwatch using when playing? I know majority of my ping is from the large distance to the server but is there a possibility in lowering ping you think? Getting 5 times faster download and 10 times faster upload I'd love to see some improvements in my favourite online game. :)

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Lost all five of my support placements, placed 1599. Almost 1000 points lower than my tank placement. I thought I was better at support but I guess I'm a tank main?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Lost all five of my support placements, placed 1599. Almost 1000 points lower than my tank placement. I thought I was better at support but I guess I'm a tank main?
I know the feeling. Most of the time, I've played tank or healer in the 3 years OW has been out. I've mainly played DPS in Deathmatch. Ended up with DPS as my highest SR rank.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I know the feeling. Most of the time, I've played tank or healer in the 3 years OW has been out. I've mainly played DPS in Deathmatch. Ended up with DPS as my highest SR rank.

My DPS rank ended up the lowest, though also where it belongs honestly. I actually think all three ranks I got were pretty fair. Got mid-high silver for dps, mid gold for tank, and low plat for support.

Also, I realized I've played more games as dps in role queue beta than every other competitive season combined.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
league tokens stay there. you just have to go check under overwatch league. it also sucks that i stopped receiving it when i watched OWL. so i missed out on the zen skin and now winston.
Yep, I just logged in and checked; I still have the 100 free tokens they gave out.

Deathmatch on the Dorado map with Hammond is tons of fun. Lots of open spaces you can easily traverse, lots of ways to get the hook-slam combo on opponents, a wide mostly-open side to boop people off of, and two big health packs to grab when you get tagged. So long as you keep moving and don't get suckered into a stand up fight, it's easy to not die while stealing kills.

Last edited:

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet

Just finished my DPS placements and....same.

2450 for DPS
2435 for Tank
1590 for Support

That's insane. I really think I ended up paired with a bunch of bad people for my Support rounds though. Who knows how that happened but whatever.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I really hope that if you've placed on beta, that next season you stop getting the wild SR variations with placing and the few games after. Just because I don't want to tank my support SR with a loss or two after getting it into plat.

My dps SR is still changing by like 30-40 every game, and I've played like 10 games after placing.

edit: just played 2 more games, went down by 33 then back up by 33.

Last edited:

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Wow Symmetra needs a nerf.
I can't with her fans being like: "Yay, she is finally meta!" and complaining that Blizzard nerfed her just weeks later. She is clearly broken.

But problem with Symmetra is that she is very hard to balance. Only one change can make her OP and cancer or useless, and that's the case since day one.

Bigger problem for me might be current Zarya. She is being picked so much. She melts you in one second. And she is charging her Ultimate so fast. Even i am doing great with her and i barely played her. She went from high skill Hero to ez mode with one change.

Last edited:

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I can't with her fans being like: "Yay, she is finally meta!" and complaining that Blizzard nerfed her just weeks later. She is clearly broken.

But problem with Symmetra is that she is very hard to balance. Only one change can make her OP and cancer or useless, and that's the case since day one.

Bigger problem for me might be current Zarya. She is being picked so much. She melts you in one second. And she is charging her Ultimate so fast. Even i am doing great with her and i barely played her. She went from high skill Hero to ez mode with one change.

I've been a fan of Symmetra since launch and she's probably one of my most played heroes, and even I think she is broken as hell in her current state. It's unbelievable how good she is as a DPS right now, especially at lower levels. A couple teamfights in my placements came down to whether I got my beam at high charge before the enemy Sym.

I haven't seen a lot of Zarya in the games I've played but I can only imagine how ruthless she is at high energy now.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017

Sym and Zarya nerfs are on the PTR right now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ojiNSeCsU

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
Before this meta i'd say at least 21 of the heroes(no joking, i play her a lot) but after this patch you have fewer options if either team is doing double shields lol

Usual counters are winston, reaper, pharah, brigitte(if you can outplay her, if you're gonna keep your shield up she'll just charge on it), and hog, since he can hook combo.

Dive heroes can be good(tracer, genji, dva) but you need to be smart and not fall for the turrets, as they were designed to deal with these heroes(but all of them can escape ther range), for supports, Moira might not be able to kill her but has a nice escape route, if you can hit shots, ana or zen work fine, and baptiste can win the 1v1 because immortality field gives you extra time to try.

If the enemy team has only one barrier hero, any ranged dps counters her as long as you keep your distance.

When playin 1v1s against symmetra your best option is killing her fast, if you got bad aim and your hero can't stun, the using cc/dashes to run is a better option. Symmetra is skinny but she is pretty harmless at long range, as long as you don't get in her beam's range you're good.

Beware of teleporters, if your team is getting destroyed by combos with those use D.va or winston to negate them, they might come with turrets and that technique can be pretty deadly
Thanks for the tips.👍 But I'm gonna have to disagree with "Winston" being a counter because his Bubble allows Symm to quickly charge her beam then melt the squishies.
Every time I play tank is a miserable experience. I'm trying to learn them, but just get absolutely melted every single time.
Make sure to practice playing tank in QP do you don't affect teammates SR as you learn to play.

Also, I'd recommend going on youtube to watch guide, tip and VOD reviews of Tanks you're learning to play.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
First time doing competitive since like two years ago.
Support around 3600
Tank around 3100

Holy shit, the tank matches were utterly horrific, almost every game you could feel the tanks and healers doing their damnedest while chucklefuck damage players opt to roam alone, from afar, helping no one.

Shit me the second match had our genji drop out after two mins and then we almost took the first point of blizz world a man down basically proving his ineffectualness.

It's infinitely worse as a tank because constantly I'm thinking they're with me but then they run off or it was always just me and the other supporting units getting pushed in by aggressive actual comp plays by the other teams, meanwhile you can see your sombra behind the impending horde just lurking cloaked, waiting on something while you're horribly focused down by the impending steamroller.

A term I heard here last year about the non damage roles being "wiping the DPS players ass" was always a good laugh, here though it was more like the DPS defecated all over the corners of the map and then fled when you went to grab the toilet paper.....look it doesn't have to make sense, point is the tank life was no life to lead.

Edit: haha, now I can be trash dps, except our mercy goes AFK and their team gets the golden mouse and keyboard adapter widow, ahhhh yessir

Now I really remember why I just stuck to quick play

Last edited:

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
When are they going to buff my man Winston? He gets eaten alive by Mei, Reaper, and the DPS power creep. I feel like removing even 1 second off his shield would be a good start.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Yeah Sym is completely broken with the teleporter change. Her DPS is fine because she has so many direct counters and is also the only thing that can really destroy shield spam. But the indefinite teleporter means that 2CP is even more annoying to defend or attack, and you potentially get 2 more attempts at a payload.

Shooting it doesn't really hinder Sym either and in some cases helps her.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
^ Her DPS is not fine. It's too much. And she can charge it to level 3 in 2 second just by holding left click in the enemy shield.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Man, the Role Queue Beta SR fluctuates widely doesn't it? Just won one Tank match and gained over 100 SR and it catapulted me into Platinum right before the beta end.

Status
Not open for further replies.