• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Honestly i thought that it will be much worse. But at the end, it wasn't really that hard.
I am not sure can it be done in 25 days, it depends on how much you play. But Battle Pass also gives you personal XP boosters and few match boosters. I mean for 2 months it's not a problem at all, but 25 days is questionable if you don't play a lot.
It took me 40 days to hit 50, and that was with completing all of my quests each day (usually in bot matches) and using boosters whenever I had them.

It's definitely not do able in 25 days unless you're playing all day long.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I miss having general XP and gold boosts from VIP membership and those temporary XP boosters you used to be able to get. I think a good way to slightly buff the rewards of the battle pass would be to make the 5% personal battle pass XP boosters (which currently just makes the grind only slightly less of a slog than it is for free players) apply to general XP, champion XP, and gold from matches for the duration of the battle pass. It's still only a 25% bonus at maximum, but it's something.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
The other option is to buy the battle pass then just buy the remaining levels at the end of the season. You can buy one battle pass level for 70 gems. So if you got to level 30, you could buy the remaining 20 levels for 1400 gems.

Not really a good option though.

Honestly it's quite manipulative. The XP requirement escalates per level making it both increasingly difficult for players to hit level 50 and difficult to determine how long it will take. This is intentional, to leave a large number of players short of hitting their target. Players are likely to see their time as a sunk cost. Therefore, their time is held ransom to the cost of whatever remaining levels they have.

I'd argue that Battle Passes are about as manipulative as loot boxes to be honest.
Yeah, sucks because some skins look so good.

Ok, another question. If I buy a chest, do I get all the items shown or only one randomly picked from that pool?

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
On the loading screen showing the character cards before a match why do some people have a crystal arrowhead symbol instead of their character portrait?

It seems random.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Certain champions and skins don't have portraits drawn for them yet. They add more every few patches.

Some of the original artwork for some characters are still missing?

I've also seen it not give me a portrait and then suddenly (with the same character) I have a portrait.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
The other option is to buy the battle pass then just buy the remaining levels at the end of the season. You can buy one battle pass level for 70 gems. So if you got to level 30, you could buy the remaining 20 levels for 1400 gems.

Not really a good option though.

Honestly it's quite manipulative. The XP requirement escalates per level making it both increasingly difficult for players to hit level 50 and difficult to determine how long it will take. This is intentional, to leave a large number of players short of hitting their target. Players are likely to see their time as a sunk cost. Therefore, their time is held ransom to the cost of whatever remaining levels they have.

I'd argue that Battle Passes are about as manipulative as loot boxes to be honest.

I respect your viewpoint there. I made a point of stressing that in the eshop thread, didn't really hit the mark. There's a massive time investment for hamster wheel like training with the BattlePass ideas. I've jumped into both this AND Fortnite, late into both seasons, and I feel like I need to keep running on the wheel to get my reward effectively. There is joy to be had, but at times it's blurred by the exhausting demand of playing a game at length, less like a game and more like work, for visual "rewards".

Skinner Loot Boxes, all in the same... .

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Some of the original artwork for some characters are still missing?

I've also seen it not give me a portrait and then suddenly (with the same character) I have a portrait.

Did you equip a different skin?

I figured that but it is strange that some of the starter character skins aren't there.

They only introduced the portraits in the last major patch before open beta, so there isn't exactly a determinable prioritization when it comes to making them for older champs or skins. The only guarantee is that new skins will have portraits (except for the battle pass's baffling silly hats they introduced after removing the head/body customization system).

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
So, Moji is this game Pyro, huh?

Kinda yeah in that she can melt a lot of folks if she catches them by surprise. Kinda nah, in that she lacks a lot of what makes Pyro interesting, like projectile blowbacks, angular attack bonuses, fire --> melee bonuses and the like. She's more just kinda hold 2 buttons and sometimes put up a shield or run away. Plus the sheer range on her fire combined with her scamper move makes positioning almost non-factors.

She can't actually set people on fire either. That's Fernando's duty, or Tyra with her fire bomb. Fernando doesn't pull Pyro like damage, but his fire is really good for spreading cauterize, and Tyra's fire bomb is a menace to anyone who wants to play the objective. That monstrosity does percent-based damage so even health happy tanks will be ruined in moments. Not to mention it halves healing and can be further bolstered with a cripple and more damage with one of her talents.

A lot of folks think Tyra is average to below average except for her fire bomb, and it's easy to see why.

Last edited:

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Just played my first game in handheld mode and was so impressed I needed to post about how impressed I was. It ran great and controlling it wasn't to bad. I probably wouldn't play rank I'd stick to tv and my pro controller but I'm definitely happy laying in bed and playing casual in handheld mode.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda yeah in that she can melt a lot of folks if she catches them by surprise. Kinda nah, in that she lacks a lot of what makes Pyro interesting, like projectile blowbacks, angular attack bonuses, fire --> melee bonuses and the like. She's more just kinda hold 2 buttons and sometimes put up a shield or run away. Plus the sheer range on her fire combined with her scamper move makes positioning almost non-factors.

She can't actually set people on fire either. That's Fernando's duty, or Tyra with her fire bomb. Fernando doesn't pull Pyro like damage, but his fire is really good for spreading cauterize, and Tyra's fire bomb is a menace to anyone who wants to play the objective. That monstrosity does percent-based damage so even health happy tanks will be ruined in moments. Not to mention it halves healing and can be further bolstered with a cripple and more damage with one of her talents.

A lot of folks think Tyra is average to below average except for her fire bomb, and it's easy to see why.
Yeah, is not a pyro clone, but is the hold a button to get kills character of the game.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Is anyone seeing these really good bundle packs in the Paladins store in the "featued" section? It might be PS4/PC only (on the former myself) since the other two platforms are still waiting on the latest update that changes a couple UI things.

Just yesterday I was advertised a "Star Pack" that contained Ruckus's Star Slayer Skin, a Diamond Chest, and 400 crystals for $4.99. Normally 400 crystals alone is $7.99, a diamond chest is 300 crystals, and the Star Slayer skin was like 600 crystals, so by the game's normal monetization standards, that seemed like a really good deal. I bought it, and later that day I was advertised the melting cheese grover skin for like 500 crystals as some kind of deal. The Star Pack was nowhere to be found.

Today, there's a new deal. Goddess Lian, two diamond chests, five gold chests, and 200 crystals, again for $4.99. That's in the realm of something like 1600 crystals worth of stuff, for the price of a 200 crystal purchase. This one has the additional caveat that it's "only available until level 40", which is weird, as I'm level 95.

I haven't seen anyone else mention these, and they seem oddly frequent for how good the deals are (compared to the usual Paladin's deals), with the only catch being that you have to pay using real money-- no crystals.

I do however recall seeing a couple posts on the reddit not too long ago regarding good deals that I had never seen, despite logging in daily. I'm wondering if maybe these are pre-planned deals that--through the magic of Paladins QA--are being pushed to some players early, or do they have some kind of targeted deals system? I have neither of the advertised skins, for instance, but I one of the reddit posts I mentioned showed a similar bundle containing Chancellor Mal'Damba, who I do have.

It's strange, but I find the prices agreeable compared to the typical crystal values, so I suppose they're getting my money :P

Mission accomplished, maybe?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Yeah, is not a pyro clone, but is the hold a button to get kills character of the game.

Oh, absolutely. Vivian too. She has a 70 round LMG, cards that can refund her bullets, and a talent that increases her damage if you sustain fire for two seconds. Not to mention her super that adds two energy rockets to your barrage every second and only goes away when she dies or if they're destroyed. Pop up her little shield and she's basically just a turret. Any time she gets the play of the game, I'm usually left wanting to end myself. Why pick Evie or Bomb King or whoever when I could just sit there, hold a button, and get 3 kills?

Fortunately, if you're any good at flanking, a Vivian is usually easy to take out, but it's still frustrating how effective she can be with such a braindead playstyle.

I've been playing this game since the alpha and I still don't know what Gold does lol

Not much. You can buy characters with it if you don't have the champion/founders pack. You can buy recolored outfits and champion mastery cosmetics with it. And then you can blow the rest on character level XP to get their special title or gold weapon or whatever.

I'm still sitting on my hoard in the hopes they introduce something more worthwhile, but it's at 1.5 million and not getting smaller :\

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, absolutely. Vivian too. She has a 70 round LMG, cards that can refund her bullets, and a talent that increases her damage if you sustain fire for two seconds. Not to mention her super that adds two energy rockets to your barrage every second and only goes away when she dies or if they're destroyed. Pop up her little shield and she's basically just a turret. Any time she gets the play of the game, I'm usually left wanting to end myself. Why pick Evie or Bomb King or whoever when I could just sit there, hold a button, and get 3 kills?

She's more like a heavy. Yeah. I think that i like playing ass Maeve the most. Although getting triple kills is challenging due the lack of burst damage...

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Is Maeve a nightmare on console as much as she is on PC? A good Maeve can cleave an entire team in two...

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Still the best skin. I wish I had more time to actually play this game, it's low on my list, but I'm still glad I got this thing.
Like, I actually fucking love using the ult and hearing that shit kick in while I hunt people down.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Is Maeve a nightmare on console as much as she is on PC? A good Maeve can cleave an entire team in two...
Is the only character I have mayor trouble playing as while in handheld mode. She Is very fun while on dual analogs, but not OP. I can see how she would be a powerhouse with a mouse, though. Like a good scout.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County

Only two things wrong with Maeve. One is the dumb effectiveness of her Street Justice talent (adds on percent damage to an easy to use move that ignores most shields)--which is getting a slight nerf--and the other is that her double jump isn't affected by cripples, letting her escape the likes of Jenos's crippling void grip completely unaided.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Only two things wrong with Maeve. One is the dumb effectiveness of her Street Justice talent (adds on percent damage to an easy to use move that ignores most shields)--which is getting a slight nerf--and the other is that her double jump isn't affected by cripples, letting her escape the likes of Jenos's crippling void grip completely unaided.
You know that something is wrong when a talent is stupidly better than the alternatives.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
I respect your viewpoint there. I made a point of stressing that in the eshop thread, didn't really hit the mark. There's a massive time investment for hamster wheel like training with the BattlePass ideas. I've jumped into both this AND Fortnite, late into both seasons, and I feel like I need to keep running on the wheel to get my reward effectively. There is joy to be had, but at times it's blurred by the exhausting demand of playing a game at length, less like a game and more like work, for visual "rewards".

Skinner Loot Boxes, all in the same... .
Just play for fun man. Both games are great if you get a certain skin or not.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018

Still the best skin. I wish I had more time to actually play this game, it's low on my list, but I'm still glad I got this thing.
Like, I actually fucking love using the ult and hearing that shit kick in while I hunt people down.

This was part of the VIP program, right?
I wonder will it ever be available again.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Bought this on Switch and have been enjoying the occasional session here and there. I admire how well it runs, really is something on handheld. Coming from Overwatch, I feel like the game is trying too hard adding all these customized talent trees and stuff. For me at least, I just want to get in and play as a character, but I guess Overwatch makes me expect that. Another thing, what's up with the uneventful way games begin and end? Watching someone's winning killstreak just feels so empty when they don't have any music playing. Am I the only one that feels this way?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was part of the VIP program, right?
I wonder will it ever be available again.
I'm pretty sure they said the vip stuff would come back. I somehow got enough points to get it despite not logging in or ever subbing to that. I REALLY want the VIP seris mummy they had too, that shit was really good. And those are basically the only two champions I play so SHRUG

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Zhin is alot worst. Meave is more manageable if your team stick together.

Yeah I've found Zhin can be ridiculous on console for some reason. I don't think he's too threatening of a character generally but you don't need to be especially accurate with his sword swipes to hit something. Whereas in contrast, due to dual analog aiming, a lot of people have trouble hitting you.

Additionally, if you use his spinning attack (I forget the name) to pass through an opponent, you get 400 damage plus an extra strike for free, simply because console players cannot turn around fast enough. Same with Evie too. Shoot them from one side, teleport behind, shoot them again, teleport back (wormhole). You can get 1600 damage for free, and by the end of this situation they're usually disorientated and weak, so they'll just try and run away - you can finish them off as they run or fly at them pursue, and kill.

Super easy.

jkqrfnS.png

I've played more games than that with her now though, stats aren't updated for whatever reason. Still that 5.3 KDA comes from console players not being able to react to high-mobility characters, particularly at mid levels of play.

With this said, whenever I play other Evie's or Zhin's, they're pretty free. Evie's tend to be straight up awful on console, and Zhin's are easy to deal with if you just pursue them when they billow. That's their only escape gone, and billow isn't too fast unless they have the movement speed card.

Last edited:

Sasha Nein

Oct 29, 2017
Picked this up recently on the Switch and now I'm playing against people really enjoying it! Loving Ying, her playstyle is really unique. It feels so good to one-on-one somebody using her clones and swapping while still having a high healing stat.

I haven't looked into changing any of the cards yet, does levelling up unlock those? Also, I've seen on YouTube that there is an additional passive thing next to people's names, but I don't see that in my games. Is that unique to ranked or am I just blind?

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
The game is really competent on Switch, it's quite impressive. Playing very well on both handheld and docked mode.
Currently enjoying Rocket-Dino, Not-Hanzo, Mirror-Girl, and Not-Genji, will keep digging and check loadouts, cards, etc...

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up recently on the Switch and now I'm playing against people really enjoying it! Loving Ying, her playstyle is really unique. It feels so good to one-on-one somebody using her clones and swapping while still having a high healing stat.

I haven't looked into changing any of the cards yet, does levelling up unlock those? Also, I've seen on YouTube that there is an additional passive thing next to people's names, but I don't see that in my games. Is that unique to ranked or am I just blind?

I'm having an amazing time with Ying. I love her method of healing, the shatter mechanic is super useful and she's got a surprisingly effective weapon. I get to play her a lot since almost nobody ever wants to be a support or frontline. The only time I don't play her is when my daily quest tells me to play something else for 2 games or a miracle happens and someone picks a support (I always wait a little bit to see what people pick) although then that just means I have to play Frontline since nobody likes to play them either. Good job I love Ruckus.

It's definitely worth playing with your loadout. You have all the cords unlocked from the start. You pick five and then assign ranks to them until you've maxed out your points at 15. I've put most of mine into making my illusions more effective.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

There's an option in the settings to display card based passive cooldowns, maybe that's what you mean? Otherwise, I don't know.

Sasha Nein

Oct 29, 2017
There's an option in the settings to display card based passive cooldowns, maybe that's what you mean? Otherwise, I don't know.

I just thought about it and assume it's actually showing the talent that person has picked! You can mouse over it (on the PC version) to read it - are we able to do that on the Switch?

90fa1b843b.jpg

It's definitely worth playing with your loadout. You have all the cords unlocked from the start. You pick five and then assign ranks to them until you've maxed out your points at 15. I've put most of mine into making my illusions more effective.

Thanks I'll take a look! So far I'm playing: Ying, Seris, Evie (when no Flank) and Tovald (when no Frontliner).

Last edited:

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question. Apologise if this has been asked before but I could not see the answer and don't want to hunt for hours.

Does progress carry between Switch and Xbox One? If I buy the Switch Founders pack do I get access to that content on Xbox and vice versa?

Thanks!!!

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Quick question. Apologise if this has been asked before but I could not see the answer and don't want to hunt for hours.

Does progress carry between Switch and Xbox One? If I buy the Switch Founders pack do I get access to that content on Xbox and vice versa?

Thanks!!!
Not yet, but I believe this could be among the most asked questions to the devs.

I think, down the road they will announce something regarding account unity.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
Not yet, but I believe this could be among the most asked questions to the devs.

That is a shame. Had fun playing on Xbox One last night, trying the game for the first time. If that Founders pack carried over I would have jumped on the Switch version today.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I just thought about it and assume it's actually showing the talent that person has picked! You can mouse over it (on the PC version) to read it - are we able to do that on the Switch?

90fa1b843b.jpg

Never noticed that, but I guess there's no way to hover over them on PS4 anyway...

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Just play for fun man. Both games are great if you get a certain skin or not.

Yeah, ultimately that's the psychological barrier to leap over. Which is admittedly tough. These games are designed specifically to draw money from passionate fans, and I've usually avoided these types of games for that specific reason.

I'll see how much I cave, versus how long I keep playing, haha!

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I swear Willo is best thing that happened to this game. I adore her voice.
Can't stop spamming her voice lines. "Wow, you are great!", "Ha, just kidding." XD

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yes you do. Since battle royale is free, you can download battle royale on Xbox and play save the world and other founders activities once you log in.

Source: Myself. I bought this stuff on PC and simply downloaded it on xbox and logged in.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
If I don't spend any more crystals, I'll have just enough to get Battlepass 2 without having to open my wallet

Noice. I bought a 16k crystal bundle back when they were discounted just before the official release. Been trying to keep my crystal count above 2k, in case of bueno bundles. Prolly gonna have to drop it by half to get the event bundles though, and then Battlepass 2... phew.

Tried getting the epic skins out of the pirate and eastern chests today (to help strengthen my diamond chest pool), but to no avail. Bought like 4 of each and got nothing but rare emotes, MVP poses, and one rare Skye skin (Skye is probably my least used flank, and one of my least used champs over all :\). Bunch of crystals down the drain, and me feeling like a dummy. Should have waited to get the Lian bundle and opened those gold chests first.

I just hope the deals stay alive in time for my $10 sony rewards PSN code to come through. Damn digital thing takes like 2-4 days.