Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I've said this before but I don't think you can really take away much about how Paper Mario games sell based on the gameplay but rather the timing and marketing.

Paper Mario 64 came out at the end of the N64's lifecycle.
TTYD came out on one of the worst selling Nintendo consoles.
Super Paper Mario was the first Mario game on the Wii and had the "Super" branding.
The Origami King came out during early COVID which saw a general boost to gaming software.
TTYD remake is coming out at the end of the Switch's life cycle and already after another Paper Mario game came out.

That is to say, if TTYD doesn't outsell TOK, it has less to do with quality or audience reception but instead just how these games are positioned on the market.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly this, I wish it would do like 10 mil to show Nintendo this is the only direction we would ever want in a future Paper Mario.
But sadly this will sell just fine but nothing to show Nintendo this is the direction fans of PM want the games to go in :(
Nintendo is absolutely not expecting 10 million, or even anything above 5 million. If it meets or even slightly exceeds expectations, it will be a sign to Nintendo.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand sales might be stifled by the fact that it's the end of the Switch's life cycle. On the other hand there's not much else to buy for Switch at the moment so it could be helped by that.

I'm expecting to be disappointed though after Hifi Rush and Dead Space. These things come in threes.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
I've said this before but I don't think you can really take away much about how Paper Mario games sell based on the gameplay but rather the timing and marketing.

Paper Mario 64 came out at the end of the N64's lifecycle.
TTYD came out on one of the worst selling Nintendo consoles.
Super Paper Mario was the first Mario game on the Wii and had the "Super" branding.
The Origami King came out during early COVID which saw a general boost to gaming software.
TTYD remake is coming out at the end of the Switch's life cycle and already after another Paper Mario game came out.

That is to say, if TTYD doesn't outsell TOK, it has less to do with quality or audience reception but instead just how these games are positioned on the market.
You could factor in the fact that first party Switch games have seen a massive increase in sells and the console itself is on its way to becoming the highest selling console of all time. I personally would have thought that TOK would have had sold even more tbh.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
damn, I had no idea that goombas are sentient chestnuts. All this time, I thought that they were sentient mushrooms.

Aren't Kuribos the chestnut enemies from Super Mario World?

Pretty sure all goombas are kuribo, and the SMW enemies are galoombas, or kuribon on the SFC. I always assumed Goombas were mushrooms and Galoombas were chestnuts.
The goomba family:

Kuribo (Goomba):
BEnSAb3.png

They were based on shiitake mushrooms, but for some reason whoever named them decided to name them kuribo or "chestnut person."

Kuribon (Galoomba):
QDHwN3l.png

These SMW Goombas actually look like chestnuts. Kuribon also means "chestnut person."

Kakibo (Goombrat):
mV7icHR.png

Kakibo means "persimmon person."

Kakibon (Goombud):
mnYkQXs.png

A Galoomba variant of Goombrat (also persimmons).

Igabo (Burrbo):
d97RZis.png

Igabo means "burr person."

Takebo (Gamboo):
WJR8vdP.png

Takebo means "bamboo person."

Mushrooms, chestnuts, and persimmons are fall foods in Japan.
GUXmHnp.jpeg

Last edited:

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Sadly this, I wish it would do like 10 mil to show Nintendo this is the only direction we would ever want in a future Paper Mario.
But sadly this will sell just fine but nothing to show Nintendo this is the direction fans of PM want the games to go in :(
This is a remake. Nintendo aren't idiots, even TOK numbers will be a huge success. They know what fans want, they just like to try different things. But if this sells well now that SMRPG sold well they might reconsider.
If anything they wouldn't remake both of these games if they didn't believe in the formula.

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
So I think I read somewhere recently that the original OST will be available as a badge option, I just hope it's early on.

I also noticed some sound effect changes, like the Shine Sprites and Keys sound the same now, but I recall the Shine Sprites having its own little sound byte, at least in the US version. I wonder if the original OST badge will retain the original effects as well.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
So I think I read somewhere recently that the original OST will be available as a badge option, I just hope it's early on.

I also noticed some sound effect changes, like the Shine Sprites and Keys sound the same now, but I recall the Shine Sprites having its own little sound byte, at least in the US version. I wonder if the original OST badge will retain the original effects as well.
From clips I've seen, it looks like it's in the badge shop in Rogueport for 1 coin so as soon as you have control after that first cutscene in town square you should be able to go up there and get it.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
The goomba family:

Kuribo (Goomba):
BEnSAb3.png

They were based on shiitake mushrooms, but for some reason whoever named them decided to name them kuribo or "chestnut person."

Kuribon (Galoomba):
QDHwN3l.png

These SMW Goombas actually look like chestnuts. Kuribon also means "chestnut person."

Kakibo (Goombrat):
mV7icHR.png

Kakibon (Goombud):
mnYkQXs.png

Igabo (Burrbo):
d97RZis.png

Takebo (Gamboo):
WJR8vdP.png

GUXmHnp.jpeg
Funny enough, the Hungarian word for mushroom is gomba.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Have never played this before, but it looks very entertaining. People really seem to love the old one.

Pre-ordered.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Had no idea he was such a fan. It's amazing how people can convey their passion for something without any words.

Oct 27, 2017
10 days! I'm also very happy and weirdly surprised of the big amount of publicity Nintendo is giving TTYD. Hope this translates in big sales!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Marketing has been pretty solid from what I've seen. As good as you could expect at least. Coming out at a pretty light game release time as well.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Marketing is great and in line with other first party releases so it won't be what makes the difference at this point.

What'll push it beyond is to see how much the WOM over the years really paid off. the cult classic status and constant fan fervor is the unique part of this game's situation.

Oct 27, 2017
Marketing is great and in line with other first party releases so it won't be what makes the difference at this point.

What'll push it beyond is to see how much the WOM over the years really paid off. the cult classic status and constant fan fervor is the unique part of this game's situation.

I'm curious how much Twitch/YT/streaming will play into this. Obviously, streaming wasn't a thing in 2004 and the game has been hyped ever since (and hasn't been around since the Wii, where you could still play your GCN disks). I've only seen streamer reaction vids, but big streamers seem pretty excited, too.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how much Twitch/YT/streaming will play into this. Obviously, streaming wasn't a thing in 2004 and the game has been hyped ever since (and hasn't been around since the Wii, where you could still play your GCN disks). I've only seen streamer reaction vids, but big streamers seem pretty excited, too.
Yup. Marketing is normal, reviews should be good. The game won't bomb, but it's the difference between if sales are "normal" for a Mario spinoff (like 2-3m) or if the special situation with this game's WOM causes it to punch above its weight. Streamers will play a big part in that.

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
Maybe we should do what the Pikmin fanbase did last summer and take over Times Square with Paper Mario promos.

www.ign.com

Pikmin 4 Fans Take Over Times Square With Twerking Olimar - IGN

With Pikmin 4 launching roughly a week from now, fans of the series are staging a Times Square Takeover by purchasing 15-second ad slots on Times Square Billboards to promote the franchise, with the most famous example being a video of a twerking Captain Olimar.

Suichimo

Mar 17, 2021
The goomba family:

Kuribo (Goomba):
BEnSAb3.png

Kuribon (Galoomba):
QDHwN3l.png

Kakibo (Goombrat):
mV7icHR.png

Kakibon (Goombud):
mnYkQXs.png

Igabo (Burrbo):
d97RZis.png

Takebo (Gamboo):
WJR8vdP.png

GUXmHnp.jpeg

Thankfully we have Carlito to help distinguish between the multiple different types of Goom.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaDXXqGQYkI&pp=ygUOY2FybGl0byBnb29tYmE%3D

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
Maybe we should do what the Pikmin fanbase did last summer and take over Times Square with Paper Mario promos.

www.ign.com

Pikmin 4 Fans Take Over Times Square With Twerking Olimar - IGN

With Pikmin 4 launching roughly a week from now, fans of the series are staging a Times Square Takeover by purchasing 15-second ad slots on Times Square Billboards to promote the franchise, with the most famous example being a video of a twerking Captain Olimar.
I am responsible for one (1) TTYD sale. If anyone wants me to do more than that, they can pay me

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I'm glad I've not checked in on any of the marketing for this since it was announced, really. But now I'm starting to get excited again. It's been years since I did a playthrough of this and my next is just around the corner again.