• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I really hope that this game will be a big success on Switch and they will be rewarded in the end. The amount of work and care they have put into the Switch port is good to see.
It was already a huge success (apparently the Switch port was responsible for TW3 sales being up over 500% YoY in December 2019, as an example).

stepee

Jan 29, 2018
Does this maintain separate settings for docked vs. handheld, or do you have to change it each time you undock if you don't want the same settings for both?

It will save the settings. They are in game settings you can change any time and it will save whatever you had last selected switching between docked and undocked.

And wow what a patch! One of the biggest improvements I've seen made in a game via a patch (not counting something like an X enhanced or pro patch or a complete redo like ff14). It's too bad that it didn't release like this as it's so much more impressive now that you can really see all the detail left in when playing portable.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
God I gotta make room on my SD again it was hard to play with how smeared the screen looked but with the graphic options I'm interested again.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
how is the game performance wise? still havent downloaded the patch yet, but i seen updates about visuals (which is amazing) but peformance?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
how is the game performance wise? still havent downloaded the patch yet, but i seen updates about visuals (which is amazing) but peformance?

Performance during gameplay is apparently better than it was on PS4/XB1 when it launched then. Fairly comparable to their performance now I believe.

During some cutscenes it can chug pretty badly though.

Edit: for some reason I thought you were asking about the game in general, not the patch. I think they noted that they enhanced performance in the patch notes but I don't think anyone has noticed a major difference.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Y'all thought Switch wouldn't be able to run TW3.

And now it runs better than before hahaha.

Way to go and slap someone's face.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Glad this is out. My switch is hacked, but I don't like messing with the game files. Already looked great using reverse NX, but the AA blur is so noticeable even with the docked resolutions on the small screen.

Can't wait for it to finish downloading.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the patch is up when I wake up but it's sounding great. Hope with cross saves it means I can play handheld at work during lunch and then "docked" on my ultra settings pc when Im home.

Seriously surprised because the patch sounded too good to be true

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
What are the best visual settings for playing in handheld mode?
I like AA off, depth of field off and Sharpness low.

ERFJd9sVUAAOzrA

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ah

Show boost is lower than I would have expected for the existing versions then

I would have expected sales to double

Here's the thread:

It's probably important to note these numbers are almost certainly revenue, so while the (physical) sales revenue only went up 63%, it could have been double the units if the games were more heavily discounted.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
That's true, but isn't that a reason why Panic Button should have tried to preserve the framerate of the faster paced games they have ported?
Not if they wanted the game to look as close as the others as possible. Most people tend to notice a bigger difference in reduced visuals than they do in framerate. And you are making it seem like they had a choice with witcher 3 like they were gonna make the switch versions 15fps or something.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Not if they wanted the game to look as close as the others as possible. Most people tend to notice a bigger difference in reduced visuals than they do in framerate. And you are making it seem like they had a choice with witcher 3 like they were gonna make the switch versions 15fps or something.

They were able to keep the framerate essentially the same as on other platforms, rather than even reduce it at all. That's what I mean.

I'm not trying to downplay Panic Button's work, I'm just of the opinion that other porting houses have done more impressive conversions at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
Ok some updates on mod interference. I downloaded a heavily modded save file that had a lot of scripting, model swaps, cheated items etc. None of the extra content that is extraneous to the main files makes it over (obviously) but also none of the changes to NPCs and main characters that were to happen given they just swap out existing files. So it seems playing with QOL mods like auto apply oil and auto loot on pc should be no problem when switching between platforms.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
They were able to keep the framerate essentially the same as on other platforms, rather than even reduce it at all. That's what I mean.

I'm not trying to downplay Panic Button's work, I'm just of the opinion that other porting houses have done more impressive conversions at this point.
lol they didn't have a choice. If wither was 60fps on ps4 ther is a high chance it would have been 30fps on switch with as many bells and whistles as possible

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
lol they didn't have a choice. If wither was 60fps on ps4 ther is a high chance it would have been 30fps on switch with as many bells and whistles as possible

It could average in the low 20s instead of 29-30. I don't presume to know what they'd do if TW3 was a 60fps game but the graphical results they achieved with the same framerate look better to me than what Panic Button achieves while halving the framerate.

Oct 26, 2017
More Cross Save testing. It seems I either have an outdated Steam install, or a Save made on Switch can't be used on Steam, as it gives me the following Error:

"Can't load save game as it was made in a newer version" Guess we'll have to wait until an Update hits PC for this to work.

Using a Steam Save on Switch works fine btw, just not vice versa at the moment.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
It could average in the low 20s instead of 29-30. I don't presume to know what they'd do if TW3 was a 60fps game but the graphical results they achieved with the same framerate look better to me than what Panic Button achieves while halving the framerate.
Yep. And Witcher 3 in portable mode runs at a higher average resolution than Wolfenstein 2, which is probably the blurriest game I've played on Switch.

Not gonna lie, after the Saber Interactive ports (also counting Vampyr), I think Panic Button was a bit overrated. There are also other ports from other studios that impressed more than what Panic Button delivered.

Also on the subject of ports, I would love to see Saber tackling something like Assassin's Creed Origins or Dark Souls 3 on Switch.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Wonder if cross saves work, even if I modded my steam version to death
Ok some updates on mod interference. I downloaded a heavily modded save file that had a lot of scripting, model swaps, cheated items etc. None of the extra content that is extraneous to the main files makes it over (obviously) but also none of the changes to NPCs and main characters that were to happen given they just swap out existing files. So it seems playing with QOL mods like auto apply oil and auto loot on pc should be no problem when switching between platforms.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Damnit.....I'm going to have to play the witcher 3 soon aren't I? I really hope this becomes the standard for multiplatform games going forward. This is making me REALLY want to get the switch version now based off this addition alone.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Played the game for 30 mins. Handheld only.
Turned the blur options off. AA on. Sharpness high. Looks pretty good with those settings.

More Cross Save testing. It seems I either have an outdated Steam install, or a Save made on Switch can't be used on Steam, as it gives me the following Error:

"Can't load save game as it was made in a newer version" Guess we'll have to wait until an Update hits PC for this to work.

Using a Steam Save on Switch works fine btw, just not vice versa at the moment.

hmmm it works for me. both ways.

Oct 26, 2017
Played the game for 30 mins. Handheld only.
Turned the blur options off. AA on. Sharpness high. Looks pretty good with those settings.

hmmm it works for me. both ways.
Yeah, i had something wrong with my install, redownloading a few files fixed that and it works now swimmingly.

Absolutely amazing. Going from a heavily modified game on PC, to Switch and back again. No telling what mods like Fast Travel from anywhere might do, but other than that, it works a charm.

Also, Hierarch Square is definitely not 30fps in Handheld. It runs about the same, but with high sharpening and AA it looks muuuuuch better.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Can't wait for people like DF to find the best optimal settings for this.
I wish that they would have given a 30fps cap removal setting even if it wouldn't have helped much

lampshade

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought it on steam a few weeks ago, but this was enough to convince me to buy it on switch today. It's not often that I double dip.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Well I don't know the update is good, but I can't stand the shimmering without AA, and the difference between off and low sharpening is almost non existant on the captures I made. High is XB2 level of oil painting effect. So... This update was only good for the touchscreen stuff really