• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
You claimed Aepsis cant turn someone into a racist. You claimedyou know what you talk about (Sepsis). I just clarifiedthat both statements are false.
Well okay, let's hear your point of view then. You seem to imply you've gone through this like this guy has. Did it turn you racist or are you racist now? Why do you think that is or isn't the case?

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Forgetting how to be empathetic doesn't make you racist. That would mean you have a disregard for everyone. That's not what racism is. Racism is literally the disenfranchisement and oppression of a group of people based solely on the color of their skin or race. Again, that shit is learned, not innate in any person. Disease can not create knowledge that has to be learned to exist in the first place.

It's like saying that sepsis could suddenly give you the knowledge to do a 1080 spin on a skateboard. It's physically not possible. Yes, sepsis can make you forget how to walk, but it will never give you that knowledge if you never had it.
So god didnt create two but three: Adam, Eve and Racist?

Racism isn't an idea born out of nowhere. It is strongly linked to empathy, understanding of one another and the fear of change.

A socially stable child with a healthy empathy won't turn into a racist. Of course enviorment is also playing its role, I wont deny it but to claim its the only factor is false. If its constantly taught racism and isnt raised to question authorities then its very likely its prepositions wont help much. Which does not mean it will always turn to become a racist.

Interesting enough: Social studies is what america disregards most in its most significant stage (which is preschool/kindergarten) compared to other countries.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Well okay, let's hear your point of view then. You seem to imply you've gone through this like this guy has. Did it turn you racist or are you racist now? Why do you think that is or isn't the case?
It effected other areas, but thank you for your not existing concern.

If compared to my countries political standing many would say I am too welcoming. I totally supported Merkel when she "opened the borders" and was actually rather disappointed at her backing out of decisions she had made toward a very welcoming refugees stance. Im not happy with the situation, its better than uk and us and that seems to be standard these days.

Is it more or less welcoming than before? Unchanged. Maybe more, because it became more of a topic than it was prior. (Politically seen.)

Cant deny I was pretty mad at everyone and everything post hospital thought.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
It effected other areas, but thank you for your not existing concern.

If compared to my countries political standing many would say I am too welcoming. I totally supported Merkel when she "opened the borders" and was actually rather disappointed at her backing out of decisions she had made toward a very welcoming refugees stance. Im not happy with the situation, its better than uk and us and that seems to be standard these days.

Is it more or less welcoming than before? Unchanged. Maybe more, because it became more of a topic than it was prior. (Politically seen.)

Cant deny I was pretty mad at everyone and everything post hospital thought.
If it didn't turn you racist I'm not sure why you're insisting it turned this guy racist or was some excuse or ever brought it up to begin with. You backhand other people for saying illness doesn't make you racist; when surprise, it didn't make you racist either. You can't claim other people don't know what they're talking about, when your own experiences prove what they've said is true.

Never said I didn't care that you are well now; I'm glad you are. However I can still take offense at the things you say, again illness doesn't give people a free pass for life to say whatever they want without consequence.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
If it didn't turn you racist I'm not sure why you're insisting it turned this guy racist or was some excuse or ever brought it up to begin with. You backhand other people for saying illness doesn't make you racist; when surprise, it didn't make you racist either. You can't claim other people don't know what they're talking about, when your own experiences prove what they've said is true.

Never said I didn't care that you are well now; I'm glad you are. However I can still take offense at the things you say, again illness doesn't give people a free pass for life to say whatever they want without consequence.
I didnt say it turned this guy racist. You claimed that sepsis couldnt do that, which is simply wrong.

Sepsis/Meningitis/Brain damaging illnesses can significantly change a person's personality.

I also never claimed its a free pass, however you need to understand where someone is coming from in order to judge. He has now the chance to change, whether he will or not we will see. It might as well be not as drastic or be little over time, but achange is a change.

And the chance to this change means a lot. For this individual but also for the minority.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
I didnt say it turned this guy racist. You claimed that sepsis couldnt do that, which is simply wrong.

Sepsis/Meningitis/Brain damaging illnesses can significantly change a person's personality.

I also never claimed its a free pass, however you need to understand where someone is coming from in order to judge. He has now the chance to change, whether he will or not we will see. It might as well be not as drastic or be little over time, but achange is a change.

And the chance to this change means a lot. For this individual but also for the minority.
I think I understand enough in order to judge a racist for being a racist. I'm not letting him nor you make excuses because of 'illness causes racism' as that's complete bunk. You keep saying I need to understand where he's coming from but you've ignored all my posts about where I'm coming from and why this may be upsetting. The only thing you're focusing on is this feeling you have that illness causes racism - even though your own experience proves this isn't true and you don't even think that's the case with this guy.

So you just ignore, shame people to prove what? But I guess 'the minority' should be grateful that somehow racism can be cured by money. And also 'the minority' should understand that some people are just racist because they got sick. I'm sure all the other minorities will be glad that this one racist may change his ways while they are suffering due to medical debt because they weren't asshole-ish enough to yell at the right white savior celebrity.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
I can't even deal with this thread.
hey guys what's going o-

It's great this can be treated with such derision and contempt by posters that they feel the need to make drive-by comments without actually saying anything of substance. It's not hard to see why minority voices are silenced when everything is a joke for some people.

People bend over backwards to make sure racist gets a payday and to wash away all his actions. Minorities are ignored, shamed or laughed at. Hang this thread up on the mantle as an example of everything absolutely backwards and upside down with how society functions. There's your good deed; hope everyone is proud. You did it again, round of applause and pats on the back all around.

/exhausted.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the kindness we're suppose to follow? Swearing and dismissive?

The conversation hasn't moved past this and tensions eased but to answer your question in good faith (rather than as an easy attempt at reigniting angst), there was nothing substantive in the post I was replying to. Just dismissing my post as "pseudo-intellectual bullshit". So yeah, I emotionally responded in kind.

Any chance of engaging with the more substantive posts in the thread or is it just the drive-by today?

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The conversation hasn't moved past this but to answer your question in good faith, there was nothing substantive in the post I was replying to. Just dismissing my post as "pseudo-intellectual bullshit". So yeah, I responded in kind.

Any chance of engaging with the more substantive posts in the thread or is it just the drive-by today?

So you think it's wrong for other people to dismissive of assholes, but when someone's mean to you, you think you have the right?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
So you think it's wrong for other people to dismissive of assholes,

This premise so far removed and twisted from the original context I don't even know where to begin. There was a very specific angle about values regarding healthcare and the idea that any form of discussion of "worthiness" is a Road we shouldn't venture down. My post was not about condemning people who are "dismissive of assholes" or a plea for everyone to be nice to assholes. That is a huge reach you've made in search of a cheap gotcha moment hours after the conversation has evolved and positions were clarified in good faith.

Not spending any more time on this anachronistic sideshow. Feel free to take any further silence as the interwebs win you seem to need. Bye.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We are all just people feeling very vulnerable in pain and undignified and probably a little scared, we have family who are worried about us and depend on us.

Not spending any more time on this anachronistic sideshow. Feel free to take any further silence as the interwebs win you seem to need. Bye.

LOL. There's that garden variety dismissal and insults that the "nice warrior" spews. No concern for the fellow Era member and their anger at this topic and how poorly they're treated.

I don't understand why some of you people just can't admit that you find it easier to sympathize with white people, no matter how horrible they are? But no, a fellow forum member being snippy is where people draw the line

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is a nice story. I'm for whatever ends up maximizing the amount of love in the universe.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And how does that translate to saying he's undeserving of good healthcare?

You can be for UHC and still think anyone giving sympathy towards this guy is not an ally. Which they aren't allies btw
How does this not translate into saying that this guy doesn't deserve treatment? Right now people donating money is the only way he is going to get that. So if you say he doesn't deserve money you say he doesn't deserve the life-saving treatment. I'm not talking about UHC

How does this not translate into saying that this guy doesn't deserve treatment? Right now people donating money is the only way he is going to get that. So if you say he doesn't deserve money you say he doesn't deserve the life-saving treatment. I'm not talking about UHC
He already got about 10 times the amount of money he needed and cash is still flooding in. Dude made fucking bank off of his terrible character.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not going to read this entire thread but from what I've gathered Patton Oswalt has the privilege of spending his money on anyone he so chooses, saints and sinners alike. He happened to choose this one guy who happened to be his troll and I respect him for that. Maybe the comedian thought there was a bit of irony in the act of saving the life of one of his vocal critics, who knows. This does open up commentary about our health system in general though.

Oct 31, 2017
Good on Patton, but this guy hasn't learned anything:

He was rewarded for being an asshole, why would he learn anything?

Fucking Christ, how far does your head have to be up your ass to call AOC's story rhetoric when you begged to have your medical bills paid and she worked to achieve her current position?

The people who take this as a feel good story have their heads up their ass too

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Money is limited, being a paramedic it's your job to save lives with your skills. People just think that money could have been used on someone that show examples of being a decent person. It's that guy's money in the end, he can, and will spend it how he wants.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
From what I've read his life was already saved. The GoFundMe was for the medical costs from his ER visit from not taking care of his own health. He goes to the VA now; doesn't need thousands of dollars to do that. So people donating aren't saving his life, just cleaning up his medical debt.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Thread has run it's course, so we are closing it for now

Status
Not open for further replies.