• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
And the DLC expansion for Three Kingdoms comes out Thursday, along with the 1.2.0 patch.

Still no word if Empress Jia Nanfeng is amongst the playable factions, though now there's mods she might make her way in that way.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Good for them for announcing this in advance.

It's on sale right now.

Nov 4, 2017
Baltimore, MD
I feel like EA should release their games on Steam again to gain players and goodwill (and to earn money). They completely fell off the radar for PC players

It's all about Steam, EGS drama or Game Pass nowadays. How are their sharesholders ok with the current state of EA games on PC?

Most of EAs games have a dedicated fan base that will go wherever those titles are. Sims probably support the whole thing and its unlikely being on steam would net them many more players

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my. I think I clocked nearly 100 hours on DQ11 and I was at the "final" dungeon. Probably spent too much time messing around...

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, though that was a case where I felt more like I got the rug pulled under me (and I stopped playing the game like 10 minutes after that because fuck you game).
AHAHAAH 2 TIMES YOU SAY AHAHAHAHAHAH

More or less yeah (i think the real ending was like... 9?)

I wanted to buy the game some years back, but because of the negative response to the second part, I didn't. It seemed there was some cool story-related twist at the end of the first part but the complete second part held the game down. (didn't explore it more thoroughly because of spoilers)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to buy the game some years back, but because of the negative response to the second part, I didn't. It seemed there was some cool story-related twist at the end of the first part but the complete second part held the game down. (didn't explore it more thoroughly because of spoilers)
I really loved the first part, the second part (the repetition) you can easily do in minutes as you just need to do boss battles and can do loops in 10-20 minutes. But man, does it feel like a drag to do that to get the "final" final.

MatOfTheDead

May 30, 2018
Walsall West Midlands
hey PC era figured this was the best place to post basically my girlfriend has surprised me with a PC for my birthday later this month and it has the following specs
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G24
TeamGroup 240GB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive
Palit GeForce GTX 1660 StormX 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

now ive been out of the PC gaming scene for a while so im wondering if theres any worthwhile exclusives i might of missed and also what are the best titles to try this setup out with

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
hey PC era figured this was the best place to post basically my girlfriend has surprised me with a PC for my birthday later this month and it has the following specs
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G24

now ive been out of the PC gaming scene for a while so im wondering if theres any worthwhile exclusives i might of missed and also what are the best titles to try this setup out with

This PC will handle most of the stuff you throw at it 1080p/60fps/very high but you should look into overclocking that RAM to at least 2933mhz if possible (please be careful though lol) as Ryzens love high speed RAM and it will make huge difference (like 20%) performance-wise.

I've recently moved from i5-6400 to r5 2600 and I was shocked to find how many games are CPU bound these days i.e. Sunset Overdrive went from sub 30fps to locked 60, same for all Ubi games.

Oct 25, 2017
I just now realized that Microsoft bought the 3 most prominent developers using Fig and I really like the idea they bought them just to kill Fig.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Most of EAs games have a dedicated fan base that will go wherever those titles are. Sims probably support the whole thing and its unlikely being on steam would net them many more players

I think there's a decent amount of money being left on the table. Clearly, Origin is successful enough to justify giving Steam the cold shoulder, but that EA's back catalogue titles always fly up the Top Sellers list whenever they're discounted and it switched performance metrics from total number of accounts to total number of "installs" (i.e. installer downloads) suggests user growth is a problem.

With subscription options being in vogue and microtransactions supplanting DLC as the primary method of post-release monetisation, if Valve were to relax the Steam Wallet requirement for in-game purchases and keep it mandatory but allow alternatives, I'd put money on EA eventually following in Microsoft's footsteps and releasing its games on Steam with some sort of tether to its own service (most likely Uplayesque client integration).

Last edited:

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
AMD Ryzen 5 2600

Congrats! What kind of games are you into? What console games are you trying to avoid? (forza horizon 4 is great if you couldn't play it). Civ 6 is the first thing that springs to mind

Oct 25, 2017
what is this "im gamer" shit
iPt18DZ.png

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

These FIG things are strange. First Psychonauts 2 one now this one.

Those that invested in inXile's Wasteland 3 through its Fig crowdfunding campaign will receive a 132 percent return on their investment, rather than the performance-based payout outlined in Fig's usual equity crowdfunding program.

The Wasteland 3 deal sees investors receiving a dividend rate of 85 percent (as opposed to the campaign's original 70 percent rate), and results in a payout of $1,320.75 per $1,000 share.

I do not understand whether investors get $1,320 or $2,320 back. Is the share refunded on top of the payout? If not, isn't the ROI 32% rather than 132%?
Edit: If we account for inflation, the ROI is closer to 26%.

wmBXpHw.png

And where does that 85% dividend rate come from?
Edit: It must be the "dividend payout ratio", which means Fig sold the publishing rights and gave 85% of the money to investors.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Curious what you think about it. It's $29.99 on Cdkeys right now and I'm pretty tempted.
I've spent a couple hours with it now and I'm really enjoying AoW: Planetfall. If you're looking for a good 4X or just another AoW game, it absolutely delivers that.

Note that it can be pretty overwhelming if you're new to the genre though. There's a whooole lot of systems and tooltips flying around. Also a bit of jank in the UI, in terms of controls. If you've played AoW3 it will feel very familiar, but without that touchstone I think it'd be pretty confusing early on.

My one criticism is the VO for the campaign. It's pretty uniformly flat; not bad, but very standard, uninspired stuff.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I do not understand whether investors get $1,320 or $2,320 back. Is the share refunded on top of the payout? If not, isn't the ROI 32% rather than 132%?
Edit: If we account for inflation, the ROI is closer to 26%.

wmBXpHw.png

And where does that 85% dividend rate come from?
Edit: It must be the "dividend payout ratio", which means Fig sold the publishing rights and gave 85% of the money to investors.

I am more interested to hear investors if they are fine with that amount of money. In one hand those projects could "fail" or earn very little money compared to investments so getting back invested money and then some more sounds great. But in the other hand those companies were bought buy one of the biggest corporations in the world so compared to that amount of money investors got is not that big.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I am more interested to hear investors if they are fine with that amount of money.

On one hand:
  • ~ 25% ROI is not bad,
  • if Fig gave back 85% of the money earned by selling their rights, it is not too bad either. Their cut is only 15%.
On the other hand:
  • investors had no say in the decision to sell the publishing rights,
  • Fig investors are likely willing to take a risk because they believe in the product,
  • it is quite awful to get them out of the equation because a company with big money arrived.

At this point, the Fig investor program feels like a scam:
  1. invest in bare-bone concepts which might not even manage to be finished,
  2. four years down the development line, less than a year before release of the finished product, the biggest wallet arrives late to the party,
  3. "we want to invest in this reliable project"
  4. get scooped out of the party, thank you, good bye, sir.
Imagine you pay for a lottery ticket. If you lose, the loss is on you. If you win, you receive two tickets* back, and the $1M reward is paid to Jeff Bezos instead.
* in practice, you do not receive two tickets, you receive one ticket and a 25% discount on a second ticket.

tl;dr: Fig/Kickstarter are amazing tools for big wallets to offset the funding risk on individuals, and then scoop the most promising products just before release.

Last edited:

MatOfTheDead

May 30, 2018
Walsall West Midlands
Congrats! What kind of games are you into? What console games are you trying to avoid? (forza horizon 4 is great if you couldn't play it). Civ 6 is the first thing that springs to mind
i play a bit of everything on console i played forza horizon 4 for a little while but it got left to the way side. i havent played a Civ game since 3 and also wanna get into stuff like planet coaster and maybe a few RTS games

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
On one hand:
  • ~ 25% ROI is not bad,
  • if Fig gave back 85% of the money earned by selling their rights, it is not too bad either. Their cut is only 15%.
On the other hand:
  • investors had no say in the decision to sell the publishing rights,
  • Fig investors are likely willing to take a risk because they believe in the product,
  • it is quite awful to get them out of the equation because a company with big money arrived.

At this point, the Fig investor program feels like a scam:
  1. invest in bare-bone concepts which might not even manage to be finished,
  2. four years down the development line, less than a year before release of the finished product, the biggest wallet arrives late to the party,
  3. "we want to invest in this reliable project"
  4. get scooped out of the party, thank you, good bye, sir.
Imagine you pay for a lottery ticket. If you lose, the loss is on you. If you win, you receive two tickets* back, and the $1M reward is paid to Jeff Bezos instead.
* in practice, you do not receive two tickets, you receive one ticket and a 25% discount on a second ticket.

tl;dr: Fig/Kickstarter are amazing tools for big wallets to offset the funding risk on individuals, and then scoop the most promising products just before release.

That is why I never went to Kickstarter or Fig, I never trusted them and never will. When product is out I will be happy to get it. All of those developers care about investors and backers as long as they need their money. As soon as someone with bag of cash shows on their doors you know what happens. That is capitalism.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
They always ask for less than what they actually need in the campaign right. Wonder if it's even feasible for a bigger team to even request roughly what it would actually cost to develop the game instead of using crowdfunding as a temperature gauge for publisher investment.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
They always ask for less than what they actually need in the campaign right. Wonder if it's even feasible for a bigger team to even request roughly what it would actually cost to develop the game instead of using crowdfunding as a temperature gauge for publisher investment.

RRS managed to do it with Star Citizen XD But in reality no. Game like Psychonauts 2 done by studio in San Francisco is probably like $15+M if not more.

But many devs are honest about that. They tell you in advance that Kickstarter is there just to promote game. Warhorse did that for Kingdom Come, even Double Fine did that with Psychonauts 2.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Honestly the second part you can just rush through it there's only like 4 or 5 bosses you actually need to fight and you can head straight to them and turn encounters off(you can do this anytime during the game). Lots of other bosses show up more powerful but after the first two times round they just stopped being fun. It's still a great game I highly recomend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.