Status
Not open for further replies.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
There are people out there that literally rush to claim all the free games, minute after they go live but are constantly trashing Epic and EGS... Just saying.
I get their free games though the browser store.

I will not actually play them until they get their shit together on their launcher features.

I did give them some money during the summer sale, though. I bought a bunch of dirt-cheap ubi titles that I can just launch via Uplay.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Aslong as I will still have the hardware I unironically see my backlog as something I can bite away on atleast a bit when retired.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped claiming EGS free games since they swooped in on the Shenmue release. Figured I didn't want to be a number in their metrics as by doing stuff like grabbing Kickstarters that had already been paid for they where also attempting to buy an audience and I refused to be part of that. It's not like I don't have more than enough to play already and I'll be able to get anything that was given away for peanuts eventually on other stores if I'm pacient.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
It's 100% the developer/publishers choice whether to go exclusive or not. I trust they are making the best decision for their own financial situation, and who can blame them for that in such a saturated environment?
I don't blame any devs for taking the deal.

But I also don't feel compelled to support them financially, since Epic is already doing that; I'd rather give my money to devs who are risking the more saturated market (and are offering me a better user experience on platforms I like in the process).

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But I also don't feel compelled to support them financially, since Epic is already doing that; I'd rather give my money to devs who are risking the more saturated market (and are offering me a better user experience on platforms I like in the process).
So they have to risk their livelihood to be worthy of earning your money?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
So they have to risk their livelihood to be worthy of earning your money?
I don't have enough money to buy every single indie game I might be interested in.

Given my limited resources, I give preference to those who I feel need my money more, because they don't get a financial safety cushion from taking Epic's exclusivity deal.

Does that make it clearer?

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Can we stop pretending that without Tim Sweeney Bobby Kotick, Randy Pitchford and others of their ilk would be starving to death?

If you guys care so much about the money game devs get, why not just buy a second copy of the game? Or does that only hold true as long as it isn't inconvenient for you?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
My son saved up about $1300 (Canadian) and wants to build a budget gaming PC, just the PC no monitor needed. Back on the old site a million years ago they had a thread just for this and I had built a kick ass PC at the time for about 1K.

I can't seem to find the equivalent here. I have not built my own PC in over a decade and just use what is provided by my work and migrated over to a console gamer so I am very out of the loop.

Anyone know if the same kind of thread exists here, bonus if it is for Canada

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
"I don't want to reward their business practices."

"So you literally want to murder them?"

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
My son saved up about $1300 (Canadian) and wants to build a budget gaming PC, just the PC no monitor needed. Back on the old site a million years ago they had a thread just for this and I had built a kick ass PC at the time for about 1K.

I can't seem to find the equivalent here. I have not built my own PC in over a decade and just use what is provided by my work and migrated over to a console gamer so I am very out of the loop.

Here ya go! Also has some Canada relevant info.

www.resetera.com

The PC Builders Thread ("I Need a New PC") v3 PC - Tech - OT

Welcome to the PC Builders Thread, where we talk about computer hardware! Whether you're upgrading your existing computer, want to build a new one, have a question, or just like talking about computers in general - we've got you covered! Now with even more ARGB! CPUs: BUY (5/2023) Best: Ryzen...

Hope you two figure it all all out and have fun :D

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

The PC Builders Thread ("I Need a New PC") v3 PC - Tech - OT

Welcome to the PC Builders Thread, where we talk about computer hardware! Whether you're upgrading your existing computer, want to build a new one, have a question, or just like talking about computers in general - we've got you covered! Now with even more ARGB! CPUs: BUY (5/2023) Best: Ryzen...

I think here they can help. I would recommend waiting a bit for the new gen to happen so that there is an idea of what the baseline of a PC is needed (and the new CPU / GPU generation to launch).

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Sure. I was more referring to the fact that when it comes to talk of exclusives people blame Epic, but it's 100% on the dev/publisher. It's like, Epic might be going door to door with a big bag of cash trying to buy peoples stuff, but they can't just walk in and take it, i.e. it's entirely the choice of the dev/pub to hand their stuff over. I don't blame the devs though. We don't have access to their financial situation. Maybe they feel they can't take the risk of not getting noticed or not getting enough sales as it will kill their company. Maybe they want enough security to make their next game while having enough leverage to keep their IP and get a good publishing deal if applicable, rather than getting screwed with a predatory deal from a big pub. It's not like they owe me their game on the platform of my choice. It's their game, they can do what they want with it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
From Gematsu:
August 22

10:30 a.m. PT / 1:30 p.m. ET – Warner Bros. Games Montreal Announcement – Gamers! You won't want to miss this first look at an exciting new game, and Q&A with its developers. (20 minutes.)

5:00 p.m. PT / 8:00 p.m. ET – Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League – Will Arnett hosts the highly anticipated video game reveal from Rocksteady Studios, creators of the Batman: Arkham franchise. (20 minutes.)

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Sure. I was more referring to the fact that when it comes to talk of exclusives people blame Epic, but it's 100% on the dev/publisher. It's like, Epic might be going door to door with a big bag of cash trying to buy peoples stuff, but they can't just walk in and take it, i.e. it's entirely the choice of the dev/pub to hand their stuff over. I don't blame the devs though. We don't have access to their financial situation. Maybe they feel they can't take the risk of not getting noticed or not getting enough sales as it will kill their company. Maybe they want enough security to make their next game while having enough leverage to keep their IP and get a good publishing deal if applicable, rather than getting screwed with a predatory deal from a big pub. It's not like they owe me their game on the platform of my choice. It's their game, they can do what they want with it.

I also don't oppose Remedy, Playdead and Ueda's studio's next games being EGS exclusive- because Epic is publishing them, and taking on a whole bunch of risks while letting the devs keep the IP. I don't particularly like the fact that they're gonna be exclusive- but that's more to do with my dissatisfaction with the EGS as a launcher. But in terms of moral high ground, in this case (where Epic acts as a 3rd party publisher) they are entitled to keep their stuff on their own storefront, same as Blizzard, Riot, until recently EA, etc.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
I'm f***ing sick of having so many games to play. It's beginning to feel like a second job. No matter how much you play, they never end, and new ones keep popping out all the time too. I'll never catch up. I don't know who can catch up. Even if you have no job/school/other obligation, there are simply not enough hours in a day.
Try not to stress out over how you engage in recreation. If the number of games you've got is worrisome to you, stop acquiring them (yes, even the free ones) and go play them instead so you can call them 'done'.

"But I'll miss out on—"

Yep, you will. You'll never get to see/do/play/engage with all the cool shit that exists within one human lifetime. Such is our lot! All you can do is accept it. :)

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
Does Epic expire free copies that aren't "redeemed" after a certain time period, like Humble?

I finally signed up for an account to nab Wilmot's Warehouse, but I genuinely don't know when I can be bothered to download and play it with so much else on the list ahead of it...

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really what they were saying
I don't have enough money to buy every single indie game I might be interested in.

Given my limited resources, I give preference to those who I feel need my money more, because they don't get a financial safety cushion from taking Epic's exclusivity deal.

Does that make it clearer?
Maybe less blunt than I was, but not really different from what I was saying. It's definitely your right to spend your money anyway you see fit, but I feel like it's the wrong reason to reward someone that is trying to sell you something.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Finally hit 2,500 on Steam

X0LKC54.jpg

Send help....jk

Oct 25, 2017
I finally like a souls-like game, which is remnant, but the world still feels empty and devoid of things that make me excited to push forward. At least the shooting is better than expected.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Also i tried Avenger Beta, i couldn't even finish mandatory second story mission how bored i was. Game is definitely not for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought remnant had good scores. Mechanically it feels okay but overall I think it's just snorefest.... at least so far. Beat first two or three bosses and I feel like I have just been shooting at targets that pose no real threat unless I fall asleep.

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone wants to check out the Avengers beta:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I thought remnant had good scores. Mechanically it feels okay but overall I think it's just snorefest.... at least so far. Beat first two or three bosses and I feel like I have just been shooting at targets that pose no real threat unless I fall asleep.
Feels like a lot of loot driven games fall into this area where they need to pad out the game to make the loot grind meaningful which ends up making the early game feel like a snoozefest. Felt the same way with the Borderlands 3 during the free weekend they had recently. That game legit put me to sleep in the mid afternoon that I played it....soooo boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.