• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
That sale on the Season Pass is the ultimate 'fuck you' to anyone who bought their game at launch. That's pretty insane.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Anyone have any idea why my 1060 always goes full power memory/GPU clock when I am browsing with Chrome?
Just being on the site without scrolling or opening a new page it will underclock to the base value of 189/400 Mhz, but when I do anything, it will go up to 1500/4000 Mhz
It means that the gpu temp is always in the 40° range in 2D Mode, instead of 30° when idle.

I mean I can play some old games (X3) and the temp doesn't go above 36°

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Äkschually, Star Wars belongs into the fanatsy genre narratively.
48c.jpg

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Also -47% for Croft Edition bundle. Square baby what are u doing, it's a great way to piss off your early buyers if you discount a season pass before even first DLC released.
Time to do what Namco does and have a season pass pre-order dlc to keep early buyers happy.

Speaking of which, pre-ordered SC6 for 45 bucks. I was hoping to preorder the deluxe edition for a good price but it doesn't seem like that will happen before release and I just didn't want to spend over 50 bucks on a pre-order.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
To be fair, it's a fairly dumb trope in SciFi that everything is super white, all the way back to Star Wars. This game not even bothering to hire a few tocken minorities isn't a good look.
I'll agree though that these kinds of threads are barely productive, just looking to put something in the pillory, so all in the forum can show their collective outrage.

There are some "token" minorities, though. Two of the main cast are biracial and some of the supporting cast are POC.
It was also addressed by Chris Roberts not long ago.
I think it mainly is an issue with Chris Roberts trying to get his friends and longtime working buddies roles and trying to hire some of his idols.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any idea why my 1060 always goes full power memory/GPU clock when I am browsing with Chrome?
Just being on the site without scrolling or opening a new page it will underclock to the base value of 189/400 Mhz, but when I do anything, it will go up to 1500/4000 Mhz
It means that the gpu temp is always in the 40° range in 2D Mode, instead of 30° when idle.

I mean I can play some old games (X3) and the temp doesn't go above 36°

I don't know if there's an option with Chrome, but Firefox will do the same non-sense with me. The solution is to disable hardware acceleration in the Firefox options. There's literally zero difference in my experience and has no impact on my CPU usage. Feel like this is a remnant of an era that's now obsolete. Hardware acceleration just keeps the GPU cranked up as far as I'm concerned.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It also stretches to much earlier than Star Wars. DS9's 'Far Beyond The Stars' episode exists for a very good reason.
Just recently saw that episode. Such an amazing concept for a story, and so much more effective because they had a POC as captain. DS9 continues to be the very best of ST, the more I see of it. Even its last few seasons are shaping up to be great, whereas both TOS and TNG started to get lame near the end of their respective running times.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I don't know if there's an option with Chrome, but Firefox will do the same non-sense with me. The solution is to disable hardware acceleration in the Firefox options. There's literally zero difference in my experience and has no impact on my CPU usage. Feel like this is a remnant of an era that's now obsolete. Hardware acceleration just keeps the GPU cranked up as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks, I try it. There was a hardware acceleration option in Chrome.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
I think it mainly is an issue with Chris Roberts trying to get his friends and longtime working buddies roles and trying to hire some of his idols.

i don't think Chris cares for political correcteness, he just wish to make his game with a (great) cast he likes

+ fanservice like this

jqdrmrg6twycltqy1kp1lmfrr.jpg

Jan 2, 2018
AoW3 comes with Durante's Seal of Approval, if that means anything to you.
Means a lot actually,I also just checked the game page on PGW to be sure It doesn't suffer any major issues.
Though I must say- the recent Steam reviews really killing the game for some shady email stuff? Do I have to create a user in order to play the game or it's just the online stuff?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! checking it right now and I actually own some of the games there from many years of humble store purchases and accumulating backlog lol.
There's a lot of good ones out there. All with 1,000 hours of gameplay or more... Infinite backlogs are always my goal with any game.

But, re: the account stuff for AoW3, I'm not sure.

I used the GOG version and it had a registration for a Triumph account, but they were bought by Paradox. And per GPDR or w/e, Paradox recently updated the EULA and it does sound pretty scary... but also, Paradox runs a store through the same account, so a lot of that information is neccesary when using a storefront, is how I understood it. So I'm assuming the Triumph account has been replaced by a Paradox one and folks are freaking out.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Anyone else generally not enjoy boss fights? My favorite games are generally open world RPG/adventure games where bossfights for the most part are a minor part of the game so I dont mind a few. I always come to a boss and think to myself "god damnit I just want to go back out there and explore! and do quests!". Anyways this just hit me last night when I beat the last boss of Darksiders 1 on the hardest setting. It wasnt even a hard boss but the mechanics of the first part of the boss are dumb and it just made me think that I rarely like boss fights.

Some games have some cool boss fights though. WoW for example really some crazy ones that always left me in awe the first time I played them.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Anyone else generally not enjoy boss fights? My favorite games are generally open world RPG/adventure games where bossfights for the most part are a minor part of the game so I dont mind a few. I always come to a boss and think to myself "god damnit I just want to go back out there and explore! and do quests!". Anyways this just hit me last night when I beat the last boss of Darksiders 1 on the hardest setting. It wasnt even a hard boss but the mechanics of the first part of the boss are dumb and it just made me think that I rarely like boss fights.

Some games have some cool boss fights though. WoW for example really some crazy ones that always left me in awe the first time I played them.

Yup, either they are badly designed hp sponges or they are the "flagship" encounter types where 90% of the game design got dumped into and the rest of the game feels like a slog to get to those overdesigned "cool" bossfights.

I play mostly Strategy and 4X games, they don't have boss fights.

For RPG's:
Witcher 3 Bosses were bad hp sponges or gimmik-laden
Baldur's Gate bosses felt okay. If you knew their weaknesses they were not different to normal encounters.
Star Ocean Bosses were BAD. If you don't know their weaknesses or when to attack where you could hack at them for half an hour. In contrast to the excellent gameplay with normal mobs, it always felt really bad design.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

95% of the time they're shit

But oh boy, those 5% of boss fights? Amazing.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I am really shocked that SE discounted both Season Pass for 34% and Croft Edition for 47%. It's 4 weeks old game, not a single DLC was released... WTF are they doing?

SSPssp

Oct 25, 2017
It must've bombed hard. I wouldn't be surprised if the base game is in the humble monthly early next year.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

Good boss mechanics are supposed to feel like natural extensions of ideas encountered earlier in the game, like a final test whether you understood something or not. Good bosses also reward problem solving, where you are supposed to adapt to a sudden unexpected change.
Of course, I feel as many things boss fights really only emerged from the limitations of technology. There is no way of getting these elements I listed across in a linear game, with no exploration, large levels and large variety of enemies. Games these days can do all of this in more natural ways, so having the player locked in a room to fight a big thing with a giant "health bar", even in games that literally don't have visual health bars for any other enemy, yeah, that's just dumb. I guess there's nostalgia angle, but I feel games didn't really, really get away from this for the nostalgia to be effective.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Absolutely despise bosses. And if they're going to be in there, I'm hoping they're super easy and I can blow past them on my first try. I mean, I've beat some brutally difficult bosses in my life, but they're something I try an avoid these days. Cause they suck. They're relics of the arcade quarter munching past and I don't enjoy a game's flow coming to a giant screeching halt by shit that's pulled from an 80s arcade game.

Emulators are one good cure (since you can hotsave your way through trash). I've often felt somebody should start a Steam review channel titled "Boss Free Games". Cause I tend to read reviews specifically for this purpose: seeing if it's littered with bosses people are complaining about difficulty on. It's be nice if somebody only recommended games that had great flow.

If a could change anything about video games, I would create a parallel universe where bosses flat out didn't exist. Yes, I REALLY hate them.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
There's nothing better in a videogame than a thrilling bossfight.

There's barely anythign worse in a videogame than an uninspired spongeboss who's only challenging becaue of adds

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty sad that after tweeting gmg twice about being unable to buy on their site because of "green guard" they can't be bothered to reply, even though they are very active on twitter and even have time to mess around.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017

I live for good boss fights. (Uninspired HP sponges are not good boss fights)

Sounds like you need to play more Falcom games, or Metal Gear Rising, or probably a bunch of other games I could think of if I thought about it : P

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone looking to get one of these Switch Pro controllers to use on the PC because they're cheap -- like me -- fair warning; they're only wireless when connecting to the Switch. For anything else, you're going to need a USB cable. It comes with one in the box, but if you prefer a longer cable or a wireless setup, you're going to need a longer cable or one of those Mayflash adapters, more than likely.

They sell a Xbox branded one on Aliexpress, but it looks like it'll have the same issues.

Oct 27, 2017
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLL YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS

...Yeah, you probably never heard about this one before, but this one was okay back then

Weird, that image says Parkan II.

Isn't Parkan II this one?

I enjoyed the games. :)
Extremely ambitious, with an insane scope and gameplay variety.
Buggy as hell, but you can't have it all. ;)

On a side note, I wish Boiling Point would return to Steam.
It's sad that developers Deep Shadows vanished from the face of the earth.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well, you said it yourself - bosses in Darksiders suck cause they suck. Good bosses require effort, it's easier to throw in some sponge and add qtes on top.

fuzzylogic

Oct 26, 2017
Age of Wonders is now on sale on Steam...is it good? I really like fantasy games but never really tried 4x games.

Be prepared for a rough start, if you're new to 4x games. This isn't particular to AoW, but expect to feel very dumb and lost for the first few hours. That's normal for 4x games. After a few hours everything will start clicking and your enjoyment will go up immensely. AoW3 is a friendly 4x game IMO. It was fairly painless to learn. I actually think Civ is (a little) more esoteric, personally.

Anyways, AoW3 is very good.

Deleted member 3856

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

All Corpse Party titles are coming to PC and that includes Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash.

Oh, nice. I guess never getting around to playing Book of Shadows and Blood Drive has paid off. Although that's one more Vita game I really wish I hadn't wasted money on lol.

Sucks that they're not porting the PSP remake of the original as well, though. It had more content and looked better than the version currently available on Steam.

manksalot

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Anyone looking to get one of these Switch Pro controllers to use on the PC because they're cheap -- like me -- fair warning; they're only wireless when connecting to the Switch. For anything else, you're going to need a USB cable. It comes with one in the box, but if you prefer a longer cable or a wireless setup, you're going to need a longer cable or one of those Mayflash adapters, more than likely.

They sell a Xbox branded one on Aliexpress, but it looks like it'll have the same issues.
Good to know. Fwiw, this is a nice thing about 8bitdo's controllers - work wirelessly with your switch, and also your phone, tablet, pc, raspberry pi...very versatile.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know one of those animated gif tools that lets you capture directly from your screen in motion?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Speaking of boss fights, I just finished two of them in Odyssey and got one of the endings and now my mind is full of fuck. Assassin's Creed lore is wild man.

Status
Not open for further replies.