Status
Not open for further replies.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Borderlands traditionally a big streamer draw? The times I've watched it (via Giant Bomb), it's a really slow, monotonous shooter with jokes you can't make out because someone is (rightfully) talking over them.

Seems like its draw to be very much in playing it vs. watching it, but maybe that's just a me thing.

Well, the previous games are like 5-7 years old, so the landscape was pretty different then streamer wise.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Is Borderlands traditionally a big streamer draw? The times I've watched it (via Giant Bomb), it's a really slow, monotonous shooter with jokes you can't make out because someone is (rightfully) talking over them.

Seems like its draw to be very much in playing it vs. watching it, but maybe that's just a me thing.
I don't know if it's a streamer draw, but there are a built in stream feature that you can activate to interract with your viewer. Like this.

NkEeJ40.jpg

Twitch itself also has an addon/extension for BL3 where you can view streamer's status.

JDqsN4P.png

So it seems that BL3 has been already built for streaming purpose.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here who has some good starting tips for Yakuza 0?

I picked up an old save for this, from last year, where I think I had just beaten chapter 1. And know I'm pretty lost for what to do, and where to go?

I'm not finding a quest log or something like that, so I'm mainly just running up and down the streets now, getting into fights that honestly aren't that fun.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
So I'm having an issue with the wishlist always hiding at least one game for me, no matter what I do. It says I have 383 items in my wishlist but when I go to the bottom of it there are only 382.

Is anyone else having the same problem? You can check if there are any hidden apps on your wishlist here: https://www.steamwishlistcalculator.com/

It seems as soon as I reach 100 items one item is deleted/hidden for some reason.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019

I picked up an old save for this, from last year, where I think I had just beaten chapter 1. And know I'm pretty lost for what to do, and where to go?

I'm not finding a quest log or something like that, so I'm mainly just running up and down the streets now, getting into fights that honestly aren't that fun.
If you don't move Kiryu for a while, a text box containing some clues about the objective will appear on the screen. You also can see it in the pause menu.

Maybe I can help you if you tell me what the texts are.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So I'm having an issue with the wishlist always hiding at least one game for me, no matter what I do. It says I have 383 items in my wishlist but when I go to the bottom of it there are only 382.

Is anyone else having the same problem? You can check if there are any hidden apps on your wishlist here: https://www.steamwishlistcalculator.com/

It seems as soon as I reach 100 items one item is deleted/hidden for some reason.
Mine showd 88 unlisted. Steam wishlist borks when one has lots of wishlisted games.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's usually a pink icon on the map showing where to go IIRC.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is friday the craziest gaming release day of the year or what?

Links Awakening Remake, AI The Somnium Files, Untitled Goose Game and Ni No Kuni all come out that day.
And Sayonara Wild Hearts just the day before.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
What is your Steam ID?
My wishlist is currently empty so it won't show anything just yet, but I'll try to reproduce it once again!

Is it showing any unlisted apps for you?
Mine showd 88 unlisted. Steam wishlist borks when one has lots of wishlisted games.
Yeah, I had about the same amount initially but every single one of those were apps that have been removed from the store. When they're removed from the store they're not removed from the wishlist per se, so I used a method to get rid of them. That may be the reason I'm seeing this, but it's rather odd nevertheless.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is friday the craziest gaming release day of the year or what?

Links Awakening Remake, AI The Somnium Files, Untitled Goose Game and Ni No Kuni all come out that day.
And Sayonara Wild Hearts just the day before.

AI comes out today (15 hours according to Steam).

I'd add Jenny Laclue, Shante and Overland though, as it seems like a decent amount of games are releasing to coincide with Apple Arcade. Though only Overland is confirmed so far I think for the PC version.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
What is your Steam ID? What is the hidden item? Maybe copy-paste the list of appIDs to find the missing one:

9atP7f3.png
I managed to reproduce it by simply adding 100 items to my empty wishlist:

r5b7i6tqx34kttkmx.png

1097840 is the AppID for Gears 5, which is now completely invisible on my wishlist.

So it definitely seems like 100 items is causing issues for some reason. And it has always been #28 that becomes hidden. Really, really odd!

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

AI is on Wednesday. NiNo on Thursday.

I'd add Jenny Laclue, Shante and Overland

Overland is marked for Thursday.

Is it showing any unlisted apps for you?

No unlisted app but my wishlist is small.

1097840 is the AppID for Gears 5, which is now completely invisible on my wishlist.

Interesting. Definitely a bug.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
also Overland on the 19th

and since you mentioned Link, aka the Switch, also Puzzle Quest Remastered on the 19th. September is fucking stupid this year.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to reinstall NFS Most Wanted. About 30 minutes in: riiiiiight, that's why I stopped playing. I never learn my lesson. The loop of a two-minute race followed by trying to get rid of cops for 10 minutes really wears me down.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm
I wonder if i didnt put this in the last highlight thread.....

shame on you, the asthetic alone is amazing. Granted that is a WANK store icon tho.

Uzzy Fate of Atlantis starts of like a wet fart, I dont want to fast travel to tombs I already did and then play stupid Layla, I just want to do supernatural shit with Kassandra which is what I was promissed.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
shame on you, the asthetic alone is amazing. Granted that is a WANK store icon tho.

Uzzy Fate of Atlantis starts of like a wet fart, I dont want to fast travel to tombs I already did and then play stupid Layla, I just want to do supernatural shit with Kassandra which is what I was promissed.

The start ain't great, but it picks up really quickly once it starts proper. Just push through.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
wait what... is Fate of Atlantis supposed to be pre-end game? Because
Deimos is back / evil again, whichever doesnt mesh with what you do/can do with him in the main story.

I am annoyed now.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Deimos is back / evil again, whichever doesnt mesh with what you do/can do with him in the main story.

I am annoyed now.
Fate of Atlantis continues the story of the main game, so it's post end-game.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
The problems I have with the EGS is that it doesnt fit my gaming style.

I am playing most games that I dont play with mouse/KB on my TV. BPM, while not perfect,is configured so that I start it and it changes my audio output to TV speakers. I have a somewhat nice menu where I can browse what I want to play. And then start the games with my controller. While I am playing and want to see where collectibles are (e.g. in Hellblade), I just open the guides section with my controller.

My gaming style for those kind of "console games" doesnt work with EGS. I dont want to resize the windows, move it to the right screen, press alt+Enter again, change sound output etc.
That should be a relic of the past.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you set BPM to change the audio output to TV speakers? I can't seem to find that option and that would be the final nail in the coffin for total ease of use with regards to a couch gaming PC setup.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

I am annoyed now.

It's a flash back to when Deimos was around and evil. That's all.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017

It shows you on the pause screen what you're supposed to do next, or if you stand still long enough. Is what google told me, it's been a while since I played it last.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

I can't keep track of all the games mate. Some even get their release dates announced during the new month the highlight thread is for.

EDIT: I double checked and I have it listed but it'll be in the October thread.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Wok
I started looking into the hidden games using that Wishlist Calculator link to see what these games are, I was wonder if you happen to know why some of these got delisted?
SolForge
Beast Boxing Turbo
Painkiller Gold
Puzzle Quest 2
Q*bert
Gigantic

Is this game's store page bugged?
store.steampowered.com

Sometimes Always Monsters on Steam

Join a cross-country bus tour as a newlywed author, and combat vicious rumors that you're a plagiarist. Truth isn't important, when you control the narrative.

Also this got delisted =_=
It is up on GMG though...

This can still be watched :3
No subtitles though it seems?

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I started looking into the hidden games using that Wishlist Calculator link to see what these games are, I was wonder if you happen to know why some of these got delisted?

There could be many reasons. For instance, Gigantic was discontinued, because it was not profitable:

Lionheart was discontinued because the dev is abusive:

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Wok
SolForge
Beast Boxing Turbo
Painkiller Gold
Puzzle Quest 2
Q*bert
Gigantic
after some googling:
solforge and gigantic shut down
painkiller gold got painkiller hd and qbert got qbert deluxe
I remember when puzzle quest 2 got delisted but I still don't know why it did
Couldn't find anything about why beast boxing turbo isn't available anymore, it's like the devs completely forgot it existed

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get Rami, he is cheering for Epic Store and yet he has some issues with this

He also respects journalists and it is on their side while those same journalists only cover indie games that are already big hits or from established developers.

And yet he has a lot of issues with Steam who is actually only Store that is trying to solve discoverability issues for indie developers.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I don't get Rami, he is cheering for Epic Store and yet he has some issues with this

Rami is not cheering for Epic: he is cheering that Valve might get pressured to lower their cut. He has no stake in Epic specifically.

And yet he has a lot of issues with Steam who is actually only Store that is trying to solve discoverability issues for indie developers.

Valve is not working on discoverability for indie devs, but because it would be economically stupid to own an ecosystem and not have an automatic recommender. Consumers ask for it, content creators ask for it, and Valve is squeezed in-between: if they do not work on it, some other store like GOG might.

If the GOG 2.0 launcher is amazing and they have that flagship game set for release next year, it can get scary for Valve faster than one would imagine. The game would drag players, and the launcher would retain them. With all this data, GOG could work on discoverability after the release of Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Rami is not cheering for Epic: he is cheering that Valve might get pressured to lower their cut.

Valve is not working on discoverability for indie devs, but because it would be economically stupid to own an ecosystem and not have an automatic recommender.

He did push Epic store more at the beginning. And Valve is trying to solve discoverability issues because developers (mainly indie ones) asked them to do something. Look at PS Store or Xbox Store those are also ecosystems where nothing is done to even try to solve issues that those stores have.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a known time for the new beta client to launch? I would assume it's 10am PT when the store updates but have no idea.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Rami is not cheering for Epic: he is cheering that Valve might get pressured to lower their cut. He has no stake in Epic specifically.

Valve is not working on discoverability for indie devs, but because it would be economically stupid to own an ecosystem and not have an automatic recommender. Consumers ask for it, content creators ask for it, and Valve is squeezed in-between: if they do not work on it, some other store like GOG might.

If the GOG 2.0 launcher is amazing and they have that flagship game set for release next year, it can get scary for Valve faster than one would imagine. The game would drag players, and the launcher would retain them. With all this data, GOG could work on discoverability after the release of Cyberpunk.
Wok, it always seems that you talk as if Steam hasnt been working on discoverability since even before Steam Greenlight with your statements. Valve has been in the front of algorithm discoverability for years in the gaming aspect! Mainly because they noticed that the main advantage of PC gaming compared to console gaming (at that time) was much longer tail sales, so it was important to make people to notice older games (and later with greenlight (which iirc the backend ended up mostly becoming discovery queues, as a lot of my ignore games come from it somehow) and direct, due to the explosion of games).

The renewed focus on more discoverability (which again, they havent stopped in the last years at all, unlike some indie say) in the last year comes from the issue of less growth (due to most of the big "new" markets being already exploited with China and Russia) that is outstripped by offering (reminder Valve wanted harsher standards for Direct) thus needing to make it easier for both people to find games and sell more.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Wok, it always seems that you talk as if Steam hasnt been working on discoverability since even before Steam Greenlight with your statements.

Because I am not satisfied with anything released before the "interactive recommender". I cannot help to think that discovery queues were a dead end. Maybe I am ungrateful, and all these stumbles were necessary to achieve what we have now. I have huge expectations for Deep Dive, and what will come afterwards.

Last edited:

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Because I am not satisfied with anything released before the "interactive recommender". I cannot help to think that discovery queues were a dead end. Maybe I am ungrateful, and all these stumbles were necessary to achieve what we have now. I have huge expectations for Deep Dive, and what will come afterwards.
im gonna say you shouldn't have huge expectations for anything in life

you will always be let down

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think DQs were a dead end and actually helped quite a bit to understand how everything works (plus you know, there being more algorithms inside the store that enhance discoverability like the one they changed last week). I am just seemingly annoyed at you saying they havent worked on discoverability just because you dont like how it worked :P

About Deep Dive, I am not so high on it (I already tried the beta and it was OK, mainly the backwards research one for indie games, the rest was a big Kay). There also seems to be another coming Steam Lab related to reviews btw, which actually makes me wonder what kind of weird stuff they worked on before creating Steam Labs.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Then what do you suggest to do?

Algorithms will always favor one or the other. At one point Indie-devs want their game to be shown, even if it might be utter bs. How can an algorithms even determine if an unreleased game e.g. "looks good" or has promise if there are no previews and only screenshots?

I personally do not have any clue how Valve will have a solution, when no one actually offers any other ones. Valve said that their new algorithm actually worked and helped devs. (Some) devs said their numbers got lower.
What if its both though?
For some devs their numbers might be up now, for others their numbers might be low.

And sorry, when I say that, but often I check out the Twitter profiles of some who complain and I see kinda uninteresting games that, personally (I am only talking about my personal opinonhere) do not really look special.

How should an algorithm even work with unreleased games though? You only have Screenshots, maybe a video and a description. The other part is on the dev to promote their game.
Valve cant know whether Zelda Clone A or Zelda Clone B is the better game unless people click on it from outside sources or because it is tagged as Zelda clone.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: Also just my personal stance, if I just generalize this forum. You see so many people talk about how developers should be supported, but my thread that FinalBoss Games, developers of Wrack closed got literally not even one reply.
The Argentinian abuse of regional pricing had several pages and literally people selling those keys in BST, some of which I remember from EGS threads and talking about how they are happy devs get more money with EGS.

Last edited:

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
you will always be let down

No. :p

Then what do you suggest to do?

From my point of view, it is convenient to see some ads for potentially interesting games on the main store page, and some banners on the game pages, like:

eylo6u7.png

or:

gpYPpb6.png

It is not intrusive. If it is relevant, then it is fine. In contrast, discovery queue has always been a chore: it is slow, the results are not relevant, I might as well draw a random number and try to access the store page with the corresponding appID. If that is what the leader store in PC gaming offers, it is a shame.

To get more relevant results, we have two options: content-based filtering and collaborative filtering.

Content-based filtering? I am okay with what Valve is doing ("More like this"), even though projects like Deep Dive could have been worked on long before now.

Collaborative filtering? That is what I want. As a consumer in an ecosystem, I want personalized suggestions. Valve knows everything about my gaming habits: playtime, page impressions, etc. Fine, why cannot they show me personalized suggestions of games? The "interactive recommender" is their first attempt. The daily player peak is greater than 15 million, show me what players similar to me are playing, Gabe. I know I am unique, but I am not that special that you cannot find people like me in your playerbase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.