Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been going through a bunch of PC titles since getting my Index, and I've got to say Space Junkies is super fun, but it seems the population is basically dead. I've never been matchmade against more than one person, which seems a shame as it's a really fun game. Is there a reason it doesn't have many players?
Yea there's a lot of "competitive" MP style VR games. But it seems to me the better market right now is single, co-op or party style games. Player populations even for big AA, even AAA releases on mainline consoles can die pretty quickly. So it just doesn't make sense when your potential audience overall is in the single million digits. Assume you can even capture 5% which is really good. And it's still a small damn number to support a MP focused game long term.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
There are not alot of VR players online so I think we/they tend to gather at a few select games. Pavlov VR and Onward are in my opinion the two best MP-games and there are always people playing those.
Yeah, just seems a shame when it's quite different and interesting. Onward is great but very intense and serious.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
What would be a good reasonable priced HOTAS controller for Flight Simulators and Space sims?
Looking to get more out of my vive.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Thanks! Way cheaper than expected, had my limit at 100-120 eur

yeah, it's really not necessary to spend much. Outfits like Virpil that offer replications of real-life F16 and Su-57 sticks know they have their customers over a barrel and in prime whale condition. Even the Warthog HOTAS which is held as the gold standard for high-end sticks is rather subpar quality and breaks easy. T-flight is best for doing what is required out the box with the widest range of compatibility.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
All I need now is a comfortable new chair, something that works for extended gaming and editing session but shouldn't cost the world....

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
I need som tips.

I'm having five co-workers over for some VR next week. They have already tried it twice, last time for about a year ago, so they have played a lot of the early stuff, like Brookhaven, The Lab, Space Pirate Trainer, Richies Plank Experience, Audioshield, Fruit Ninja, and perhaps some more. They are in no way gamers, so the games need to be fairly easy and quick.

Beat Saver is a given, and I'm also thinking Super Hot.

But after that I'm kinda out of ideas. Nowadays I mostly play games that doesn't work for groups of beginners, like No Mans Sky, Pavlov and Zero Caliber.

Is Five Night At Freddys good if you have 5 minutes to scare the shit out of someone? What about Loco Dojo, is it any good?

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I need som tips.

I'm having five co-workers over for some VR next week. They have already tried it twice, last time for about a year ago, so they have played a lot of the early stuff, like Brookhaven, The Lab, Space Pirate Trainer, Richies Plank Experience, Audioshield, Fruit Ninja, and perhaps some more. They are in no way gamers, so the games need to be fairly easy and quick.

But after that I'm kinda out of ideas. Nowadays I mostly play games that doesn't work for groups of beginners, like No Mans Sky, Pavlov and Zero Caliber.

Is Five Night At Freddys good if you have 5 minutes to scare the shit out of someone? What about Loco Dojo, is it any good?
I have mentioned this in numerous threads but FORM is a great little game, only about 90 mins long and is a great experience that could only be done in VR. I have had multiple people play it and end up completing it.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
What about "keep talking and nobody explodes"? If you didn't play that previously that is a fun one to do with a group.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
I need som tips.

Five Night's at Freddy's is indeed a great game for a quick scare. I've shown it to a few people who historically didn't jump or freak out in other horror titles that NOPE'D out pretty quickly.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
I need som tips.

Diner Duo or Panoptic are good fun for groups.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I need som tips.

Do you have a rift? The lightsaber dojo in Vader Immortal is really fun and easy to pick up.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the PCVR version of Sairento will be getting the contents from Sairento Untethered (for Oculus Quest).
The first batch of contents will consist of 2 maps and scheduled to come 2 weeks later.

store.steampowered.com

Save 60% on Sairento VR on Steam

VR was made for this. Perform triple jumps, wall runs, power slides and slow time down while blasting away at a foe before landing to deliver a blade attack on another. Kit yourself with katanas, firearms, bows, throwing glaives and legendary relics. Keep upgrading as you play. PURE CYBER NINJA FUN.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
So I just got a quest last weekend. Any recommendations for games?

It seems fairly thin library at the moment but I've got my eye on Beat Saber, Superhot and Space Pirate Trainer.

Especially good if any are free because most of my money went on the headset.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got a quest last weekend. Any recommendations for games?

It seems fairly thin library at the moment but I've got my eye on Beat Saber, Superhot and Space Pirate Trainer.

Especially good if any are free because most of my money went on the headset.
You'd be better off asking in here:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/oculus-quest-ot-there-are-no-strings-on-me.117550/

But on top of the ones you already mention I would get Vader Immortal, Robo Recall and Job Simulator.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Vive Cosmos review embargo is up, scores are kind of all over the place.

It seems the requirement for a brightly lit room in order for tracking to work, and terrible controller battery life are the biggest dings against it. Releasing a $699 tethered headset in 2019 with simply increased resolution and analog stick controllers seems like a hard sell to me. But then again it's still $300 less than the Index so who knows. I wouldn't personally get one after dealing with HTC's terrible customer service for the past few years.

Anyone picking one up?

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Can't believe how badly HTC seems to have dropped the ball with the Cosmos. From lack of clarity in advertising to pricing and the hardware/software issues, it's clear that HTC is moving further and further into the background. Not sure who will pick up the torch and give Oculus some real competition.

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about starting up Skyrim VR with mods and did some reading up...

I had no idea that there was so much drama a year ago regarding the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.
Like, wow + Holy shit + where the hell was I when all this was happening.

Oct 25, 2017
From what I pieced together:
The latest version of USSEP (v4.2) caused marriage and adoption bugs in Skyrim VR.
An earlier version (4.12a) didn't have this problem.
Skyrim VR players and the mod developer Arthmoor got into a fight over this.
Everyone ended up with black eyes.

And now the current solution is:
1. Get the latest version of USSEP from Nexus mods
(https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/266)

2. Get the USSEP SkyrimVR fix from Nexus mods that was created by some helpful soul in a SkyrimVR reddit post
(https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16768)
(https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/8et5q2/skyrimvr_ussep_413_stopgap_fix/)

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I currently have a PSVR and have purchased a laptop with a RTX 2080 so looking to get into PC VR. I've got my eyes set on an Oculus Rift S as it is on Amazon Australia for AU$630 compared to the HTC Cosmos at AU$1300 and the Valve Index would cost around AU$2000 to get imported. Should I expect a minor or major visual upgrade on the Rift S VS PSVR?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I currently have a PSVR and have purchased a laptop with a RTX 2080 so looking to get into PC VR. I've got my eyes set on an Oculus Rift S as it is on Amazon Australia for AU$630 compared to the HTC Cosmos at AU$1300 and the Valve Index would cost around AU$2000 to get imported. Should I expect a minor or major visual upgrade on the Rift S VS PSVR?
It'll be a pretty substantial upgrade in many areas. But yea the visual upgrade in clarity alone should be quite good.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Ever since I played Arizona Sunshine for an hour, beat 2 levels with a friend, most fun I've had with a game in years. Now I'm saving for my own headset.

I don't currently have the most powerful PC, pretty outdated with a 1060 6B, 16 GB of ram (1666 mhz) and an i5 without OC. I know getting an Index would be dumb for me, because I wouldn't only need that, but also buying a another PC.

So I'm torn between the Rift S, the Quest, the Rift CV1 or waiting and see if HTC fixes the Cosmos.

What do you say Era?

When I tried Arizona Sunshine I tried it on a CV1 I think, it had 3 of those base stations thingies and I thought it looked pretty cool, it's just that I was way more focused on the inmersion it provided than the graphics or resolution shown.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ever since I played Arizona Sunshine for an hour, beat 2 levels with a friend, most fun I've had with a game in years. Now I'm saving for my own headset.

I don't currently have the most powerful PC, pretty outdated with a 1060 6B, 16 GB of ram (1666 mhz) and an i5 without OC. I know getting an Index would be dumb for me, because I wouldn't only need that, but also buying a another PC.

So I'm torn between the Rift S, the Quest, the Rift CV1 or waiting and see if HTC fixes the Cosmos.

What do you say Era?

When I tried Arizona Sunshine I tried it on a CV1 I think, it had 3 of those base stations thingies and I thought it looked pretty cool, it's just that I was way more focused on the inmersion it provided than the graphics or resolution shown.

Your PC is no where outdated here for VR. Its not state of the art, but it can run VR well imo. most VR devs ain't going to have their games limited to the highest end PCs because of how small that market is, unless they seriously hate money.

Oculus has ended production for CV1 just recently, so even if you buy it second hand you might have issue with the warranty period with Oculus. Haven't tried the Cosmos but that's stupidly expensive so personally I wouldn't choose that.

While the Rift S is like a side-step to CV1, I personally recommend it over the CV1 based on the point that it is still in production and ease of set up. The biggest downside is that Rift S has a lenses are fixed at 63.5mm for IPD, so if your IPD isn't anywhere near that range you might experience blurry visual, distortion etc.

I love the Quest too and while the Oculus Link allowing you to play PCVR games on it sounds appealing on paper, I will recommend waiting till the Oculus Link actually releases and we hear some reviews from actual users (reddit, youtubers etc). If it works well as advertised then Quest is an easy recommendation. And it has IPD adjustment

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

What do you say Era?

Quest seems like the best option overall these days with the Link thing coming. So you get to play wireless VR now without needing to upgrade your PC and once you do upgrade you just plug the Quest into it and have PC VR too. Plus you can just plug it into your current PC if you're not sure about upgrading yet to see which games will run with that. At least some of the VR games should work fine with that.

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
Right now I would hold out to see how well Quest Link works, and also to see if any similar devices not locked down to the Oculus eco-system will be announced.

If you are not interested in the idea of stand-alone VR I'd go for the Index.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Quest seems like the best option overall these days with the Link thing coming. So you get to play wireless VR now without needing to upgrade your PC and once you do upgrade you just plug the Quest into it and have PC VR too. Plus you can just plug it into your current PC if you're not sure about upgrading yet to see which games will run with that. At least some of the VR games should work fine with that.

Your PC is no where outdated here for VR. Its not state of the art, but it can run VR well imo. most VR devs ain't going to have their games limited to the highest end PCs because of how small that market is, unless they seriously hate money.

Oculus has ended production for CV1 just recently, so even if you buy it second hand you might have issue with the warranty period with Oculus. Haven't tried the Cosmos but that's stupidly expensive so personally I wouldn't choose that.

While the Rift S is like a side-step to CV1, I personally recommend it over the CV1 based on the point that it is still in production and ease of set up. The biggest downside is that Rift S has a lenses are fixed at 63.5mm for IPD, so if your IPD isn't anywhere near that range you might experience blurry visual, distortion etc.

I love the Quest too and while the Oculus Link allowing you to play PCVR games on it sounds appealing on paper, I will recommend waiting till the Oculus Link actually releases and we hear some reviews from actual users (reddit, youtubers etc). If it works well as advertised then Quest is an easy recommendation. And it has IPD adjustment

Terribly good and informative responses. Thank you both of ya!

I need to check my IPD but as someone who wants to share and show his VR set to friends and family, I'm gona go with the option with IPD adjustment on the Quest.

Also, I've heard that its materials feel higher quality than the ones on the Rift S.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've been going through a bunch of PC titles since getting my Index, and I've got to say Space Junkies is super fun, but it seems the population is basically dead. I've never been matchmade against more than one person, which seems a shame as it's a really fun game. Is there a reason it doesn't have many players?
I really like Space Junkies as well. Very unfortunate it never had much of a user base.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Do VR games ever go on sale like regular PC game or PSVR games do? If so, where do I look/ follow/ search for them.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
IPD adjustment on the Quest leaves a lot to be desired - it does not display you the IPD like Vive, Index or Pimax does. You need to fiddle with the knob by trial and error and it is not immediately apparent that you set it right.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As someone with an IPD of 70 and experience with another fixed IPD headset (PSVR) I'd just like to say my biggest issue was eye strain. After just half an hour of using PSVR my eyes would feel fatigued almost like if I were sleepy. My peripheral vision was also pretty small due to being further from the sweet spot but the eye strain was by far the biggest issue. I'll never buy another fixed IPD headset again if I can avoid because it makes me not want to play.

On the other hand I could go for 5 hours on a CV1 and Index without getting the eye strain that PSVR would give me in just half an hour

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Do VR games ever go on sale like regular PC game or PSVR games do? If so, where do I look/ follow/ search for them.
Yes but there's not a decades long back catalog so sales are less frequent and usually not as steep.

IPD adjustment on the Quest leaves a lot to be desired - it does not display you the IPD like Vive, Index or Pimax does. You need to fiddle with the knob by trial and error and it is not immediately apparent that you set it right.
I don't know my IPD number anyway so I just move it until it feels ok.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Any guesses what game he could be talking about? Most seem to think its Asgard's Wrath seeing as that comes out soon. Game looks pretty but the combat looks a bit simple though as we know videos don't necessarily communicate the feel of something in VR well. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it ain't anything Valve related as nice a surprise as that would be considering the forthcoming review, though who knows maybe we'll get a shadow drop ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FYI he's a reviewer for RoadtoVR.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Any guesses what game he could be talking about? Most seem to think its Asgard's Wrath seeing as that comes out soon. Game looks pretty but the combat looks a bit simple though as we know videos don't necessarily communicate the feel of something in VR well. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it ain't anything Valve related as nice a surprise as that would be considering the forthcoming review, though who knows maybe we'll get a shadow drop ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Stormland....?

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
In addition to native steam alerts, I use GG.deals and isthereanydeal.com to track a couple other sellers (and they sync to your Steam wishlist).

I'm at a loss for how to track Oculus store sales other than watching these subreddits:

atom519

Oct 28, 2017

FYI he's a reviewer for RoadtoVR.

Has to be Asgard's Wrath since releases this week. I remember reading impressions from E3 (?) saying it wasn't very fun, but maybe it's been cleaned up a lot since then.