PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about replaying the games.

Honestly, as much as I want to, I do not know if (full game spoiler) I have the heart to accuse anyone else other than Ferenc and Guy in chapter 1 and 2.
Also, glad to see that I managed to keep Ursula alive in my playthrough.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Thinking about replaying the games.

Honestly, as much as I want to, I do not know if (full game spoiler) I have the heart to accuse anyone else other than Ferenc and Guy in chapter 1 and 2.
Also, glad to see that I managed to keep Ursula alive in my playthrough.

I have the same difficulty thinking about replaying the game. There are a few checks I'd like to clear, and maybe I'd do some things differently in Act 3, but I don't really want to live with the consequences of
accusing other characters of the murders

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same difficulty thinking about replaying the game. There are a few checks I'd like to clear, and maybe I'd do some things differently in Act 3, but I don't really want to live with the consequences of
accusing other characters of the murders
Yeah, judging by how act 2 played out in my playthrough, I myself am really interested in seeing how it turns out if I never got Ferenc killed and got the abbot to tighten his grip on the peasants.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stop thinking about the ending sequence, it really is beautiful.

I really wish they let you walk around though

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I have been playing this (still early), but I really like what I have played so far. Text heavy games need to be really engaging for me to keep playing, but it is really good so far. The artstyle is quite beautiful as well. Having the art be in the style of medieval artwork is a really neat idea! The characters are well written, and I actually end up having my choices impacted by how i feel for them.

Very impressed to say the least

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game yesterday, one of the games of the year for sure.

My only issue was that Act 3 dragged, was too linear but the payoff was immense at the end

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I started playing last night, was inside the Abbey and stopped a bit for dinner. All of a sudden I hear a dog crying in the distance, I thought it was mine so I went to check, he was fine sleeping. After that my sister tells me a dog was crying, asked me about ours and I told her he was fine. I went to the rooftop to check on neighborgs but nothing. Went out to the street, no dog in sight.

It was this stupid church lol I don't know why it has this dog crying sound!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Act I last night. Didn't get the outcome I wanted - I solved the cipher puzzle and the abbot gave me permission to dig up the grave but I ran out of time to do so before the final interview, and as a result I left town with the Abbot absolutely despising me instead of having a murder weapon to show him. Still KIND of got the outcome I wanted out of the investigation but not the way I wanted it to happen. The world state at the beginning of Act II is just dismal as a result, woof.

wayward_

Oct 29, 2020
Just finished - my God I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this but I once I started playing I could not stop. Absolutely phenomenal.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
I went through Act 1 and Act 2 in just a few days and was absolutely sure this would end up as my GOTY but once I hit Act 3 it just ran all out of steam. I can only play for like 30 minutes before I either fall afsleep or just get bored and play something else. Now I just want it to end. Supposedly the ending is really good so I'm looking forward to that.

So far this Act is really doing nothing for me, although there were a few standout and beautiful sections. Exploring the sister's convent and church was great.

Also had to turn writing sounds off because the printer characters' "writing" sound is very off putting.

Hope it picks up soon. Or I reach the ending.

SCUMMbag

Oct 25, 2017
I went through Act 1 and Act 2 in just a few days and was absolutely sure this would end up as my GOTY but once I hit Act 3 it just ran all out of steam. I can only play for like 30 minutes before I either fall afsleep or just get bored and play something else. Now I just want it to end. Supposedly the ending is really good so I'm looking forward to that.

So far this Act is really doing nothing for me, although there were a few standout and beautiful sections. Exploring the sister's convent and church was great.

Also had to turn writing sounds off because the printer characters' "writing" sound is very off putting.

Hope it picks up soon. Or I reach the ending.

You're almost finished and at the point where the momentum will likely pull you to the end in one sitting.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
You're almost finished and at the point where the momentum will likely pull you to the end in one sitting.
You were right, credits are rolling now!
And what everyone was saying is true, the ending really delivers.

It's too bad Act 3 dragged so much, although I appreciate what it was building up to.

What a wonderful, weird, but interesting game. Glad I played it.

SCUMMbag

Oct 25, 2017
You were right, credits are rolling now!
And what everyone was saying is true, the ending really delivers.

It's too bad Act 3 dragged so much, although I appreciate what it was building up to.

What a wonderful, weird, but interesting game. Glad I played it.

I think act 3 had to be quite long for the payoff to work. I think it could have done with an additional B plot during this bit to stop it from feeling like you're meandering.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
Just started Chapter 4 and wanted to say that I definitely figured out who the murderer was and didn't fail every single persuasion and didn't run out of time and collect all my evidence 5 minutes before meeting with the Archdeacon.

hqdefault.jpg

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Just started this the other night and put a few hours in. Really enjoying it so far. I actually like the way they present the slight delay in dialogue and the spelling corrections. It makes it a really pleasant read and it tends to default to right in the sweet spot for me in reading speed. I won't be changing anything with the new update.

SCUMMbag

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I'm right at that point and it feels like there's still enough story to tell ahead.

There's plenty of story to left tell. Personally, I feel that it becomes much more engaging past this point in a "I don't want to put this down" kind of way.

I wouldn't worry about it ending abruptly. It's one of the most complete video game narratives I've seen in a long long time.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
There's plenty of story to left tell. Personally, I feel that it becomes much more engaging past this point in a "I don't want to put this down" kind of way.

I wouldn't worry about it ending abruptly. It's one of the most complete video game narratives I've seen in a long long time.

Nice, so I guess the story they're telling right now will be concluded. Thx.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
How many update does this game have?

I was about to start this game last week. 2 GB UPDATE. Let it download and work week started.

Another weekend time to play…. 4GB update. Holy shit. I just want to play

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Just finished Act I and not sure if I fucked up?

The game felt like nothing was happening for the first couple of hours and then suddenly when things start happening you have like 1-2 days to solve everything and it's not enough time. Felt like I needed one more day to finish any of these investigations.

I never figured out who wrote the notes. Are you supposed to have figured that out in Act I to figure out the true culprit or is this an on-going narrative beyond Act I that wasn't supposed to be solved yet?

I wanted to flesh out and figure out the investigation with
Lucky, and the grave by the old salt mines. But by the time I got that far there was like...no time left to get any more.

Same with digging up Gerhart's grave. I couldn't get the cipher until nighttime and couldn't get enough info to sneak into the library until the last night and then didn't have time to dig it up with anyone the next day before the archdeacon came.

Ended up just blaming Lucky and having him killed since none of the other suspects seemed likely and I didn't get far enough with him.

Just was a very unsatisfying finish. Makes me feel like I should restart the game over and redo Act I using a guide or something before pressing onwards? Or should I just press onwards and don't worry about fucking up Act I?

This game's confusing. During the lunch things I never know which person will give me useful information.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
No. You didn't fuck up. That's how the game is supposed to go. You purposely don't have enough time to check out all leads, and evidence you find can seem circumstantial.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yeah, which is very helpful. Yet in the dialogue all you can bring up is the screen with the photo. I mean, now I have two things to not remember: the name and the face!
I think by the end of act one you should have a good idea (I'm not sure where you're at). I did have a slight bit of confusion in later acts when some kids grow up, trying to remember who is who, but it's not too bad. Usually the context is good enough

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm still in the beginning, a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of people. Lovely game so far.
oh yeah there are a bunch, but I would say just enjoy the ride and you'll start to get more familiar. Especially as you have meals and there are more conversations. Just keep checking the codex and associate names to faces. You've got plenty of time to learn about the townspeople and abbey people.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I would've also appreciated the option to pull up the glossary mid conversation. Especially with the many timeskips, it's hard to keep track of all the faces and who is related to whom. Doesn't help that the dialogue boxes only show the NPC's name for their first line of dialogue. It would be easier to remember their names if it would always show who is speaking.

Additionally I really missed a log of some kind, a way to read past dialogue. Sometimes I accidentally skipped forward too quickly in a conversation or I had to make a choice and kind of forgot what we were talking about. I guess that's also on me for not paying enough attention, but it would've been nice to review what had been said before.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Just finished Act I and not sure if I fucked up?

The game felt like nothing was happening for the first couple of hours and then suddenly when things start happening you have like 1-2 days to solve everything and it's not enough time. Felt like I needed one more day to finish any of these investigations.

I never figured out who wrote the notes. Are you supposed to have figured that out in Act I to figure out the true culprit or is this an on-going narrative beyond Act I that wasn't supposed to be solved yet?

I wanted to flesh out and figure out the investigation with
Lucky, and the grave by the old salt mines. But by the time I got that far there was like...no time left to get any more.

Same with digging up Gerhart's grave. I couldn't get the cipher until nighttime and couldn't get enough info to sneak into the library until the last night and then didn't have time to dig it up with anyone the next day before the archdeacon came.

Ended up just blaming Lucky and having him killed since none of the other suspects seemed likely and I didn't get far enough with him.

Just was a very unsatisfying finish. Makes me feel like I should restart the game over and redo Act I using a guide or something before pressing onwards? Or should I just press onwards and don't worry about fucking up Act I?

This game's confusing. During the lunch things I never know which person will give me useful information.

No you didn't make a mistake, that's how the game is designed

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I am enjoying it so far but mannnn this game would really benefit from some more frequent music. It's eerily silent, I would say to the game's detriment. Like, it feels kind of like a bug...?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I am enjoying it so far but mannnn this game would really benefit from some more frequent music. It's eerily silent, I would say to the game's detriment. Like, it feels kind of like a bug...?
I agree it would've been nice to have more music, but def not a bug. It's mostly ambient noise a majority of the time.

Oct 4, 2020
Scotland
I know what you mean but I loved all the ambient noises in the game, felt that it made it really atmospheric. I also felt that the sparse use of music made it more impactful when it was used.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I love the ambient sounds too, and didn't feel that music was missing. Also, the Act 3 is my favourite lol.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Got to the murder in Act 2. These deadlines are kind of ridiculously tight for investigations. 1 day? Yeah, good luck me figuring this out.

I really couldn't get into the game at first. Like the game was painfully slow to play, but after about 4 hours it finally clicked and I'm enjoying it a good amount now. The intro was pretty tough to get into.

The QoL stuff they've added is helpful. I think the only things I'd still like is a run button for Andreas and a better way to go through the glossary because right now it's awful trying to find a term since it only shows like 12 per group.

Oh and I'd like something to tell me that talking to this person will end the current time period and move it to the next. Definitely had a few times where I accidently transitioned to the next time period and missed out on talking to people. But since there's only one save slot you can't do anything about it.

Feb 16, 2022
One thing that kinda bummed me out is that sometime during Act 2 I realize that, when it comes to persuasion that involves 2 different choices(for example, should I encourage person X to do thing Y, or discourage them) and you don't have enough modifiers to successfully choose the option you want, you can just choose the opposite, let it fail(due to the other option also not having enough modifiers), and get the outcome you wanted. I feel like this particular system is underbaked considering how thorough I was in playing and still coming up way short on these modifiers.

Nope. And the way its all set up
by the thread puller, it literally canonically be any of them. There is no wrong decision, just decisions andreas has to live with
I'm not so sure about that because upon my 2nd playthrough, I just remembered
that the note found in the Baron's hands were Lucky's. So unless the threadpuller meant to frame Lucky, it could only have been him or the person who delivered the note, who was likely Amelie.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I hit a bug in Act 2 which sucks.

I found the lemon note and confronted Brother Guy about it and he was about to explain himself re: why he was stealing the money and then the game glitched and the conversation flashed to a brief one second shot of a note and then the conversation ended. Like the entire conversation skipped. So I have no idea what his explanation was and I have no idea what his note said.

Which is gonna be super unhelpful in deciding who to accuse.

Also I feel like the dialogue checks are too harsh in this given how few rep opportunities there are with a lot of people. I think I've failed like 3/4ths of the dialogue choices. And it often completely shuts down an investigation of that person.