• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you ever played a Persona 3 game before?

• Yes! I have played a different version of Persona 3 in the past!

Votes: 898 68.6%
  • No! Persona 3 Reload will be my first time experiencing Persona 3!

Votes: 411 31.4%

• Total voters

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, I'm really happy that the Sun Arcana exists. The game has felt really, really easy on the normal difficulty in the second half of the game as your team has their skills and Theorgy's unlocked, and it's allowed me to fuse things like Messiah while in the high 80s instead of having to do a boring grind for a few more levels. Feels really balanced for when in the game you get it- it would really warp the early part of the game if you could get it then, but when you do get it, it's more about just finishing stuff up

Also, after Fusing Messiah, I was going through to see what Persona's I was still missing from the compendium. and discovered that I somehow never managed to get Lvl 3 Nekomata?!?

How / when do you unlock teammates slinks ? I starting June and still haven't any. Sanada just joined back the team.
Most of them don't have formal S-links (only Yukari, Mitsuru, and Fuuka), and those don't unlock till much later in the game. The "linked episodes" which serve as the replacements for all the other party members open up over the course of the game, and you will get messages from them (and see "!!" on the map screen to indicate them) when it's time for one of their episodes

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How / when do you unlock teammates slinks ? I starting June and still haven't any. Sanada just joined back the team.
The 3 female party members are locked behind one of the 3 stats (charm, courage, academics) and you can't social link them until you max their corresponding stat and after a specific story moment for each.

The guys… lol. This is P3, where the writers didn't think people would actually want to social link the male party members (this gets fixed in FeMC route and P4 onwards). Since they're trying to be faithful to the original P3, you still can't social link your male party members, however there are "linked episodes" with the male party members now, where you can hangs out with them in pseudo social links. The character will text you in game about hanging out, so make sure you check your phone everyday, since when they do show up, they're time sensitive and if you miss out on one, you miss out on the rest of the chain.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
They still couldn't be bothered to (nov 4th spoilers)
animate the party fighting Aigis, or to show how Koromaru escapes.

On the other hand, I think this scene solidifies Mitsuru's new VA as better than the original. On the whole, the only VA I'm still not sold on being either as good or better than the original cast is Yukari's.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018
The 3 female party members are locked behind one of the 3 stats (charm, courage, academics) and you can't social link them until you max their corresponding stat and after a specific story moment for each.

The guys… lol. This is P3, where the writers didn't think people would actually want to social link the male party members (this gets fixed in FeMC route and P4 onwards). Since they're trying to be faithful to the original P3, you still can't social link your male party members, however there are "linked episodes" with the male party members now, where you can hangs out with them in pseudo social links. The character will text you in game about hanging out, so make sure you check your phone everyday, since when they do show up, they're time sensitive and if you miss out on one, you miss out on the rest of the chain.
It's more that Hashino never had an actual friendship with a woman, which is wild.

THAT CERTAINLY MAKES ME FEEL BETTER. COME TO THIN OF IT, IT SEEMS LIKE YOU CAN ONLY FORGE THAT KIND OF FRIENDSHIP WITH SOCIAL LINKS OF THE SAME GENDER. OPPOSITE GENDER SOCIAL LINKS WILL REVERSE QUICKLY. DOES THIS MEAN TRUE FRIENDSHIPS BETWEEN PEOPLE OF OPPOSITE GENDER DO NOT EXIST?

HASHINO: I've never successfully forged a true friendship with a girl in real life.

SOEJIMA: Neither have I.

HASHINO: I guess that means we couldn't implement it into the game because we don't know what it's like. (laughs)

SOEJIMA: Now that I'm on my thirties, I'm more open to the notion that it is possible, though. Back in high school, I admit I couldn't look at girls that way.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
There's one thing that's been bothering me since the June mission. Can't quite put my finger on what exactly is the problem, but something about the story doesn't quite add up, I think.
It probably meant to feel like that, but I can't help but think that SEES is... suspiciously well funded. They own a dorm and have a high tech Command Room in it. They can get branded combat gear made. And they basically have a pet police officer to help sweep everything suspicious under the carpet. What, exactly, is SEES? Because, yeah, we fight Shadows and that has to be done, but... I'm getting an XCOM vibe from SEES. That it wasn't so much created to fight Shadows, but already existed and was activated when the Shadows appeared.

Or re-activated I suppose. I don't think we're the first SEES team.
Gonna be interesting to see if I nailed it. I caught the moment in P5, so let's see if I'm two for two here.

Feb 16, 2022
They really laid Ryoji x MC romantic undertones much, much thicker here huh. Ryoji just openly said he wanted to be more than friends, though your only options are to say you don't get what he means.

wamoss

Aug 11, 2022
Kinda wish I didn't replay p3p last year cause I'm having a hard time keeping my attention whenever story happens. Just not enough new to keep my attention I'm finding.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's one thing that's been bothering me since the June mission. Can't quite put my finger on what exactly is the problem, but something about the story doesn't quite add up, I think.
It probably meant to feel like that, but I can't help but think that SEES is... suspiciously well funded. They own a dorm and have a high tech Command Room in it. They can get branded combat gear made. And they basically have a pet police officer to help sweep everything suspicious under the carpet. What, exactly, is SEES? Because, yeah, we fight Shadows and that has to be done, but... I'm getting an XCOM vibe from SEES. That it wasn't so much created to fight Shadows, but already existed and was activated when the Shadows appeared.

Or re-activated I suppose. I don't think we're the first SEES team.
Gonna be interesting to see if I nailed it. I caught the moment in P5, so let's see if I'm two for two here.
I mean I thought it was clear from the start that the Kirijo family was funding them, they make it pretty obvious from the get go that Mitsuru comes from a rich family that also owns the school

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
Just finished the game. First time I've beaten Persona 3 in about 12 or 13 years.

The ending still lands.

No, you're crying.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
One more level until I get Siegfried
God I fused him over the weekand and he's definitely the Yoshitsune of this game, he completely invalidates most content going forward.

I do recall people who played Wow who talked liked Maya back in the day tho

View: https://x.com/HannyahZ/status/1759256666380308510?s=20

Zoomers will not see the gates of heaven. /s

I fucking love Maya's Leet Speak, brings me back to a simpler time.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
18dc27fa6227-screenshot-Url.jpg

bless her

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Siegfried is awesome
If you can, try and get all the Slash Boost/Crit Boost skills on him.

Mine is something like

Deathbound
Brave Blade
Charge
Slash Boost
Slash Amp
Crit Rate Amp
Crit Rate Boost
Apt Pupil

You could swap Charge out for a boost to mutli-target attacks, as it will further boost Deathbound (and more importantly Scarlet Havoc), you can just charge with a different persona (Or use Fuuka / Koromaru Theurgy)

I almost fucking 1 shot Jin and Takaya with a Scarlet Havoc, shit's fucking brrrrroken.

Stunner911

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wakanda

Mine is something like

Deathbound
Brave Blade
Charge
Slash Boost
Slash Amp
Crit Rate Amp
Crit Rate Boost
Apt Pupil

You could swap Charge out for a boost to mutli-target attacks, as it will further boost Deathbound (and more importantly Scarlet Havoc), you can just charge with a different persona (Or use Fuuka / Koromaru Theurgy)
I'm trying to find a slash boost card now

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017

Mine is something like

Deathbound
Brave Blade
Charge
Slash Boost
Slash Amp
Crit Rate Amp
Crit Rate Boost
Apt Pupil

I almost fucking 1 shot Jin and Takaya with a Scarlet Havoc, shit's fucking brrrrroken.

Is brave blade preferable to Blades of Fury? I have blades of fury instead of brave blade because I'm also rocking multi-target boost.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I missed "In high demand" in my playthrough I'm pretty sure. I'm on 1/21 right now... Honestly it feels bugged because I'm pretty sure I hit 5, but I'm not 100% sure since there is no tracking for it anywhere.

I wonder how long it would take to speedrun the trophy on NG+?

Niimu

Apr 5, 2022
Just finished my playthrough, still the Persona game with the highest highs and lowest lows... but damn no other game in the series comes close to the best stuff P3 has to offer, it's such an out of this world game when it's at its best. No wonder it was such a formative experience the first time I played it.

Tamaa

May 16, 2021
Beat it for the first time (I didn't play any version the game before). Stellar game overhaul. I did prefer Persona 5 tho.
My cons :
- Instant kill moves are still dumb to me.
- Some social links stories are just... meh. And I didn't like the fact that the male party members didn't get one. Sure they got the linked episodes, but still.
- Very slow start, like Persona 5.
- The ending is dumb as f*ck. Why does he die ? I didn't expect this, but I guess killing the MC was still a thing back in the days. I always hate these. Especially in these types of games where you build relationships. What's the point of romancing someone ? And everyone came to the rooftop and just discovered Yuki... dead ? That's a shame because I really loved the story. The twists were all great.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Beat it for the first time (I didn't play any version the game before). Stellar game overhaul. I did prefer Persona 5 tho.
My cons :
- Instant kill moves are still dumb to me.
- Some social links stories are just... meh. And I didn't like the fact that the male party members didn't get one. Sure they got the linked episodes, but still.
- Very slow start, like Persona 5.
- The ending is dumb as f*ck. Why does he die ? I didn't expect this, but I guess killing the MC was still a thing back in the days. I always hate these. Especially in these types of games where you build relationships. What's the point of romancing someone ? And everyone came to the rooftop and just discovered Yuki... dead ? That's a shame because I really loved the story. The twists were all great.

For the last part...

The game makes it a point where death is it's reoccurring theme, not only the acceptance of death but it's acknowledgement. The original release had the Latin phrase "Memento Mori", which basically means that everyone will eventually die, and that you should make the most of your time on Earth before this happens. This is reflected with the numerous deaths in the game, either in the backstory of characters or during the game's plot. The protagonist dies at the end, but both he and Aigis seem to have accepted it and he passes on with a calm smile.

The protagonist used their life force to seal Nyx away, but due to the promise they made with their friends, they are able to hang onto life until graduation day to make true to that promise. If you remember, one of the classroom questions in P3 brings up that there is commonly a sense of euphoria shortly before death, and that's pretty much what this is.

Last edited:

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland

View: https://youtu.be/er7HNmcsj_Y?si=n1UFppMg8hbbmaU0

It was always right there from the beginning.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I totally forgot that for the July full moon fights, Yukari forces herself into your party. I replaced her with Mitsuru as soon as I could and she's more than 10 levels below everyone else, so I effectively am doing both of these fights with just 3 people. God I hate her.

1 gift from TheWildCard

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from TheWildCard TheWildCard!

This is a three-day raffle that will expire in 72 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

TheWildCard said:
Thanks for the last give away! Turns out I already had the same a code for the same dlc set , so here's another chance for the rest of you!

These are our awesome prizes:

• PlayStation 5 (NA) PlayStation 5 (NA): Person 3 Reload DLC Pack - Won by MegamanFreak MegamanFreak (8 entries)

Whisu

May 19, 2021

Please, read this reddit post about P3 themes and ending. In my opinion, it's a perfect summary of the story and the ending.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Whisu already linked you to an amazing post that explains it, so I'll just say this - Memento Mori. Remember that you will die. Persona 3 is all about making the most of your time with what time you have left. Everything, from the story, to the social links, to the characters, to the ending, is a reflection of that theme and it is omnipresent across the game. The protagonist made the most of his limited time, and it meant the world. Quite literally.

Or as Lotus Juice says in the opening song CARPE DIEM! NO TIME TO WASTE!

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Putting crit rate boost, Crit Rate Amp, Auto Rebellion, charge, and Apt pupil on one physical persona might as well cause the credits to roll. Holy fuck, everything dies.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow

Everybody deflected you to some essays but I will give something simplier.

what's the point of relationships in your own life, since you are going to die one day?

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
The SEES battle suits, are they new ? I don't remember the crew changing to these outfits in the original ?
What about the Theurgy jauge ? It seems new to me.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The SEES battle suits, are they new ? I don't remember the crew changing to these outfits in the original ?
What about the Theurgy jauge ? It seems new to me.
both are new, though some existing mechanics are now tied to the theurgy gauge like the fusion spells are now the MC's theurgy skills once you've registered the correct persona

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Gotta say, Junpei is starting to get on my nerves. I really hope he has a redeeming moment later, because right now, he's kinda a jerk.
Of course it's Junpei who wants to go annoy women on the beach. And then I get roped into it. If he's supposed to be a lovable idiot he needs more lovable and less idiot to balance it out. Though, I suppose, technically, I won the "operation". I mean, I got a hug from a girl and got to bring her home and she is awesome. She's also a robot and a lockpicking alarm clock, but that's just details.

Aigis is a fan favorite, isn't she? Because she sure shot up the list of "party members I like" really fast. What's her thing combat-wise, anyway? Everything physical and buffs?

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

View: https://twitter.com/REALMadMax1960/status/1759726697887219883

I know it's obviously a long long way off having everything (if ever) but wow. It both looks better and is going quicker than I ever thought it would.

This is going to be a pretty cool fan mod. Hopefully when they get the chance to rewrite some of FeMC's Social Links (I'm looking at you, Ken & Maiko), they'll go and fix some things to make it not even remotely weird.

Also, Theodore's 3D model already exists from the Persona 3 Dancing game, so that's one thing they can check off the list for.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Despite the modern coat of paint, tartarus still feels like its about 100 floors too much. The tedium has completely set in for me and there's still quite a few months to go..
Annoyingly, with how easy the game is, that "dungeon crawling" feeling is also kinda gone, because i dont feel challenged in the slightest, it just feels like busywork now.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/REALMadMax1960/status/1759726697887219883

I know it's obviously a long long way off having everything (if ever) but wow. It both looks better and is going quicker than I ever thought it would.

They're running up on the limits of what mods can do; after this they'd have to make voicework and artwork that doesn't exist.

But it's still incredibly impressive what they have so far. I bet if they forsake voice acting, it may be possible to at least implement a few other things. Maybe even the social links or battle elements. I love how FeMC is winking in the glass on the status menu. That's a nice touch.

Part of me wishes that Atlus would go the full distance and release FeMC DLC. I know it's not likely to happen due to the sheer volume of work, but I want it to happen at this point.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
10/4...

Strength and Fortune were pretty rough. First time I had to go back and change out my team. Went in with Junpei, Aigis and Akihiko the first time....

Now I prepare myself for the scene... Hope I don't cry.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
When my gf got to this segment she skipped it altogether and didn't want to give it an honest shot, to be fair she got into the franchise with 4 and 5 which handle these kind of joke situations a little worse, but Reload changed it from the original to be not shitty, considering the original had the final woman depicted with facial hair so it was a "eww" childish factor. But I don't get why the scene as a whole in reload is seen with such negativity. Its just them hitting on women, is it that bad? Or is it a matter a matter of people assuming the worst an anime game a chance with it's tropes and what not? Because like I said, I remember 4 and 5 being far more childish about it, while Reload is just "oh we failed to rizz these women" with no childish spin

Feb 16, 2022
Whisu already linked you to an amazing post that explains it, so I'll just say this - Memento Mori. Remember that you will die. Persona 3 is all about making the most of your time with what time you have left. Everything, from the story, to the social links, to the characters, to the ending, is a reflection of that theme and it is omnipresent across the game. The protagonist made the most of his limited time, and it meant the world. Quite literally.

Or as Lotus Juice says in the opening song CARPE DIEM! NO TIME TO WASTE!

An interesting tidbit about "Memento Mori" being in the opening that I've read is that, apparently, the development team didn't intend for the opening to have that phrase featured, it was all done by the animators because they felt it fits the "death" theme. The dev team liked it so they kept it.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
An interesting tidbit about "Memento Mori" being in the opening that I've read is that, apparently, the development team didn't intend for the opening to have that phrase featured, it was all done by the animators because they felt it fits the "death" theme. The dev team liked it so they kept it.

That makes sense. I've always gotten the impression of a disconnect between the animated cutscenes in the original game and the actual in game content. The animated cutscenes give the game a VERY early 2000s vibe that the game itself doesn't quite have. I wonder if that was the animators adding their touch too.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
When my gf got to this segment she skipped it altogether and didn't want to give it an honest shot, to be fair she got into the franchise with 4 and 5 which handle these kind of joke situations a little worse, but Reload changed it from the original to be not shitty, considering the original had the final woman depicted with facial hair so it was a "eww" childish factor. But I don't get why the scene as a whole in reload is seen with such negativity. Its just them hitting on women, is it that bad? Or is it a matter a matter of people assuming the worst an anime game a chance with it's tropes and what not? Because like I said, I remember 4 and 5 being far more childish about it, while Reload is just "oh we failed to rizz these women" with no childish spin

For me, it was definitely the original release of Persona 3/FES/Portable containing transphobia, due to the boys immediately being turned off by the reveal that the woman they were talking to was a trans woman (and everything that followed afterwards). I'm so glad that sequence was changed for all versions of the game so now that character is instead a quack of a conspiracy theorist and the boys runaway in terror because of her crackpot theories.

For the rest? I think it's pretty funny that the boys have no game and they all failed at Junpei's half-baked plan of getting tail during that beach episode.