• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No, the game is meant for teenagers and adolescent.

The sixth (technically seventh, if you count P2 as two games) game in a 20-year franchise could stand to grow its concept a little bit instead of recycling the same one idea over and over again for four games in a row.

Especially when the previous game wanted to be about social injustice but wound up just being a bunch of loudmouth brats whining about "rotten adults" for 100 hours.

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
Not getting my hopes up too high but would be awesome if this is true. Would love to see P6 set in college this time.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Very exciting times. I wonder what the release schedule would be like for these. I reckon P3R and then P6 spaced out a bit further, though I could totally see them doing the opposite since we just got P3P and some people might need more time to cleanse the palette.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why even release P3P if you're just gonna remake 3?

Also, grown ass people for P6 pls.
I would love for the persona 6 team to be a bunch of fired or laid-off ex employees running a business out of a garage and the badguy be a super megacorp. That setup is perfect for a diverse team with various skills and fits right in line with how the social elements of persona are structured right down from individual relationships to "vacation moments" like team building retreats instead of field trips....... Actually ™ don't steal.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
LET'S FUCKING GOOOO

...if it's true. I'm skeptical of all insider talk from now on after those Wind Waker/Twilight Princess rumors. Buuut if it is true, LET'S FUCKING GOOOO

AnimeAvatar

Apr 28, 2021
Are they gonna be revealed at the same time or separately? Personally it would suck if they announced P3R first and P6 later down the line as that's the game I much more interested in.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
The sixth (technically seventh, if you count P2 as two games) game in a 20-year franchise could stand to grow its concept a little bit instead of recycling the same one idea over and over again for four games in a row.

Especially when the previous game wanted to be about social injustice but wound up just being a bunch of loudmouth brats whining about "rotten adults" for 100 hours.

If this was a franchise that releases every 2 years i would agree but Persona Mainline title happen every 4-5 years so its hard to get tired when there are only 2 main entries every decade.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Please no visual novel style for the remake. I hope it has everything but if I have to choose I'd rather have less content.

Jul 24, 2018
The reason they released Portable is so people can get a chance to play the female protagonist because she won't be in the remake. I sincerely doubt Atlus cares about putting that extra effort into the remake.

Aug 7, 2020

It happened to cover a lot of topics about social injustice throughout the eight dungeons you visit in the game. Second, it seems you're a massive Ryuji hater if that's your opinion about the game's story.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
P6 will totally still be set in high school, might as well get your moaning about it out of the way now

Aug 15, 2022

That's exactly how high schoolers talk about social injustice. Most of them have never seen real society, enaged with it, learned how it works with first-hand experience. They talk about social injustice like bread magically appear in their bowl. Or would you rather see grown-ups being a bunch of loudmouth brats? It's easy to increasee the age of a fictional character. Improving writing, that's hard.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The sixth game in a 20-year franchise could stand to grow its concept a little bit instead of recycling the same one idea over and over again for four games in a row.

I mean, you clearly didn't care for the games cast and setting, which is fine, but it's by far the most succcessful and decorated persona game, so unless the team is feeling extra adventurous, they are likely gonna keep at doing the thing that they found massive success in. I would be VERY surprised if it wasn't a high school setting again. And again, they can adjust the writing to exclude problematic stuff AND keep it about high schoolers.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
A salaryman protagonist would be perfect for this franchise, and it'll never happen.
Yeah, I've been saying office workers would work soooooo good for a long time. Not even old, but, like, early 20s. Different departments, management, side gigs, etc. It could work so well and it takes the creepiness out of romance social links since you won't be trying to make high school kids bang.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly how high schoolers talk about social injustice. Most of them have never seen real society, enaged with it, learned how it works with first-hand experience. They talk about social injustice like bread magically appear in their bowl. Or would you rather see grown-ups being a bunch of loudmouth brats? It's easy to increasee the age of a fictional character. Improving writing, that's hard.
literally nobody talks about social justice by yelling about rotten adults

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've been saying office workers would work soooooo good for a long time. Not even old, but, like, early 20s. Different departments, management, side gigs, etc. It could work so well and it takes the creepiness out of romance social links since you won't be trying to make high school kids bang.
Yep, office-based Persona would work perfectly, and it would refresh the formula a lot.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's because it's for teenagers lol

You realize that teenagers can think protagonists over the age of 17 are cool too, right? There is no hard rule that teenagers will only play games about teenagers.

And that's kind of the problem, the endlessly preachy "I have genuinely zero life experience, but I'm going to lecture everyone about how I FEEL, and the narrative will prove me right" shit just...I'm so tired of it. We need a new story from Persona. There are so many routes the series could take, and the fact the franchise remains imprisoned in the exact same setting over and over again, recycling the exact same tropes and social links like clockwork...it's just a bummer.

Like Transistor said, you could tell an absolutely fantastic story about a bunch of young twenty-somethings who are chafing against the realities of the modern adult world and striking back against contemporary work-until-you-die culture. It's right there for the taking, and Atlus refuses to acknowledge it. Even Persona 2 did a better job at this.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
No one in Persona talks like a real human being or even remotely like one

Aug 15, 2022
literally nobody talks about social justice by yelling about rotten adults
Ok, rotten boomers, which are, surprise surprise, adults.

And that's kind of the problem, the endlessly preachy "I have genuinely zero life experience, but I'm going to lecture everyone about how I FEEL, and the narrative will prove me right" shit just...I'm so tired of it. We need a new story from Persona. There are so many routes the series could take, and the fact the franchise remains imprisoned in the exact same setting over and over again, recycling the exact same tropes and social links like clockwork...it's just a bummer.

Like Transistor said, you could tell an absolutely fantastic story about a bunch of young twenty-somethings who are chafing against the realities of the modern adult world and striking back against contemporary work-until-you-die culture. It's right there for the taking, and Atlus refuses to acknowledge it. Even Persona 2 did a better job at this.
Isn't it just Persona 5? Persona 3 and 4 have different themes, and I don't see why Persona 6 can't. Keeping the high school setting doesn't mean it has to be a clone of P5. Also, as a young twenty-somethings who are chafing against the realities of the modern adult world and striking back against contemporary work-until-you-die culture, I must say I don't want to play as myself. Let me relive high school please. That was the last time I had no responsiblity and didn't worry about anything.

Why people want Persona to be so "deep" is what I don't get. It's supposed to be a fun nostalgia trip.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
a western indie game studio should make that game if Atlus won't make it. Isometric perspective, quality pixel art or ps1-like lo-fi crunchy models.

I'd buy it at a high price.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
You realize that teenagers can think protagonists over the age of 17 are cool too, right? There is no hard rule that teenagers will only play games about teenagers.

In Japan I have no idea tbh, 90% of devs do young protagonists for a reason

Remember they complained about Jin from GoT being too old and "ugly"?

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
after all this persona is done with surely we will get a digital devil saga 1-2 remaster or GASP a new smt spinoff not related to the other spinoffs?

a new eo would be nice too.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the code for Persona 3 was lost of bad or something and that's why they remastered P3P, is that not the case?

Antoo

May 1, 2019
offices workers sounds too boring imo. there's a reason why high school dramas are popular. there's a reason why the idea of school life mixed with fantasy (x-men, fuck jk rowling, etc.) has huge appeal. sure, it can be aged up to college i guess, but the idea of persona not being young adults in school makes it lose a lot of its charm.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're really deviating from the original with the Persona 3 remake or something? Would explain why they ported the Portable version.

Also, Persona will never leave high school, it's too tied into the appeal. Best we're getting is like first year of college or something.

TurkishDelight

C++ Developer at Microsoft
Banned
Oct 5, 2022
I hope Persona 6 release early , they can just do a little bit more detailed environment and still use same art style but in 4K.
And focus on world travelling aspect. I don't think any persona fan would care if graphics looks same as long as game is content rich and come out early

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
offices workers sounds too boring imo. theres a reason why high school dramas are popular. there's a reason why the idea of school life mixed with fantasy (x-men, fuck jk rowling, etc.) has huge appeal. sure, it can be aged up to college i guess, but the idea of persona not being young adults in school makes it lose a lose of its charm.

If I never have to help another student council president regain her self-confidence, or listen to another privileged brat whine about how MOM AND DAD EXPECT SO MUCH OUT OF ME for the rest of my life, it'll still be too soon. They have squeezed every single drop of blood out of high school social links, there is nothing left there.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Was watching a youtube video earlier that commented on the whole "Why is so much anime created with younger character in mind".
Basis ended up being that it's absolutely a part of marketing it and trying to capture a more generalized audience that might stay in the long term.
With that said, that's also a bit of a detriment since anime that "grows up with the audience" is rather few and far between.

In the case of Persona, that's absolutely the case we're in right now. You have fans that have been playing these games since Persona 3 and 4, and they're definitely not relating to the "High School" setting anymore. Even if the general themes can absolutely still apply to anyone.

All of the Persona games from 3-5 are available on every major platform now. So anyone can start their Persona journey officially now while a new game could slightly deviate to acknowledge those older fans.

Just to add some perspective, Persona 5 was 6 years ago. That's enough time that fans may very well be far past high school and wondering what's next.

--------------------

While I'll take whatever Atlus does next. I definitely prefer the idea of Persona looking into "What do you do after you're considered an adult by society". That weird gap when you're like 18-25 (Hell maybe even later depending on your life experiences) where you kinda still feel like a kid but can't necessarily be that anymore, is well worth exploring and would allow them to explore a lot of new material without drastically dropping the general idea of the series.

Society has changed a lot since Persona 3 came out and those ideas of "Where do I fit in" don't suddenly go away when you're an adult after-all.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
offices workers sounds too boring imo. there's a reason why high school dramas are popular. there's a reason why the idea of school life mixed with fantasy (x-men, fuck jk rowling, etc.) has huge appeal. sure, it can be aged up to college i guess, but the idea of persona not being young adults in school makes it lose a lot of its charm.

Yeah I'm a office worker and I hate it so much lol, at least Persona could make it more exciting I guess