Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

E_ckZdDVcAAnZZm

This poll from Playstation Japan's official twitter. The poll is for base Persona 5, not Royal

1st - Main Character
2nd - Makoto Niijima
3rd - Goro Akechi
4th - Futaba Sakura
5th - Yusuke Kitagawa
6th - Morgana
7th - Haru Okumura
8th - Ann Takamaki
9th - Ryuji Sakamoto

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
2nd Popular huh. I guess the Makoto ship is canon now

baseless interpretation, I know!

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Legit shocked that Akechi wasn't in 1st. Love that Makoto was high up but Ann and Ryuji got shortchanged

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Makes me want to eat some Tasty Pancakes to celebrate

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Akechi would have won, thought he usually sweeped JPN polls for some reason.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
yeah, no surprise here. Akechi is really popular in Japan

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
fuck akechi

yusuke should be lower. you cut him from the game and it wouldnt even matter.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's far from what would be my list. Makoto is near the bottom just above Haru and Akechi. Ann, Futaba, Joker and Ryuji near the top.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
Why is haru popular again? She didn't had major part in the story, if at all. Is it because the Japanese like the homely waifu type?

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
So now it's official that all the world loves Makoto, haha. And for many reasons she's the best girl. Too bad she's studying to become a cop and you know...

God I don't understand that Japanese fetish for Akechi and I'll never will.

Last edited:

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Queen always slays. How could she not be the canon choice when everybody is so obviously inferior to her?

Nov 21, 2017
Makoto is the best girl of the Phantom Thieves but I don't get the Japanese Persona fans obsession with Akechi.
I hated him that dude was a straight up murderer.

I still need to make time to play both Royal and Strikers though.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Makoto is cool as fuck stop saying mean things about her. She's also the only smart one in a sea of idiots that is the Phantom Thieves. Seriously it's astonishing how DUMB most of them are. I love it but still.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people surprised that Akechi is loved? Yall seen anime? Yall seen Super Sentai or Kamen Rider? Guys like that are always loved.

Only surprise for me is how low Ann is. Figured she'd be higher.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
I am lowkey not surprised Japan loves Akechi
There are people on this planet who unironically think Adachi is the best character of the series and the memes about it are flooding the Persona subreddits so I would ask "what is wrong with us" but then I remember some people would max the Ken Social Link in P3P.
Also why is Ann so low.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The MC's are always lame as hell on purpose, so always surprised as that. At least Makoto was second.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
LOL at Joker being #1, though I guess that is common and because of Joker/Akechi shippers. (Not judging.) Surprised at Makoto being #2. Guess having Ann as the fanservice magnet didn't payoff long term. I'm sad Kasumi is being excluded. Royal has been out for almost two years in Japan!

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I'm here to counterbalance the Haru hate. She was robbed. She should be higher.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Ryuji being dead last is kinda suprising. Feel the best friend usally does pretty well in these.

Nov 21, 2017
I'm curious what the Phantom Thieves ranking would be in the US and other western countries compared to the Japanese rankings.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Poor Ann. Gets done did dirty at every turn in the name of fan service, and she still comes in at the bottom of the ranks.

It always feels weird when the personality-less blank-slate main character wins these kinds of polls.