Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Queen in second place at least, she'd be my first choice.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
fuck akechi

yusuke should be lower. you cut him from the game and it wouldnt even matter.
Agreed. Could have not cared less on either characters. Akechi's story was the absolute low point in P5 and in P5R
I literally ignored every meet-ups etc. with Akechi which apparently resulted me missing some additional story beats and areas - zero regrets, because again, I just can't find any redeemable quality on the character.

Would be curious to know where Yoshizawa and Maruki would have landed if those have been included in the poll. After finishing Royal, Yoshizawa was easily my favorite and Maruki was close behind.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
The voting was a weird group system. You could only vote for one character in each group. For instance, MC Ryuji and Ann were in the same group, and Akechi, Futaba and Haru were in another group. So you could vote for both the protagonist and Akechi, but not for two characters in the same group. That's why some of those results feel off.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Apparently the polling for was really dumb. From what I've read the poll was done like this

Characters were separated in 3 different polls so it wasn't a singular poll where you voted for your favorite.
- Joker/Ann/Ryuji
- Yusuke/Morgana/Makoto
- Futaba/Haru/Akechi

Explains why Joker is so high and why Ann and Ryuji are so low.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Ann and Haru are too far down for my liking--Makoto is exactly where she needs to be though.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Strikers poll puts Zenkichi at the top.
3RPmUEy.jpg

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the polling for was really dumb. From what I've read the poll was done like this

Characters were separated in 3 different polls so it wasn't a singular poll where you voted for your favorite.
- Joker/Ann/Ryuji
- Yusuke/Morgana/Makoto
- Futaba/Haru/Akechi

Oh that's extra dumb

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Makoto! How is Ryuji 9th, he's great haha.

Edit:

- Joker/Ann/Ryuji
- Yusuke/Morgana/Makoto
- Futaba/Haru/Akechi

Ahhh

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Fuck all the Ryuji haters. He has some of the best character development in the game and is a much better "comic relief" character than in previous iterations. I really don't get why folks seem so hot on Makoto. Her sister is far more compelling.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Wow...Akechi is a serial killer and all of his "likeable" qualities were literally a facade he put on to get close to the phantom thieves.

He is a garbage character and people should get a side eye if they say they like him the most, unless its just for his looks, I guess.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Akechi at 3 really?

I hated that character with a passion lol.

Also surprised they would vote the non-character character as number 1.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Wow...Akechi is a serial killer and all of his "likeable" qualities were literally a facade he put on to get close to the phantom thieves.

He is a garbage character and people should get a side eye if they say they like him the most, unless its just for his looks, I guess.
You know he's not real right

After royal he's deserving of top three. The type of character trope he is has always been ridiculously popular, I think era is the only place that is so against his character. I always assumed this was due to this place's aversion to anime tropes but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'd probably rank the characters like so. (I'm excluding Joker because obviously I'm going to like my self-insert character lol. And I'm excluding Royal and Strikers characters to keep it simple, even though I think they should be included.)

1) Makoto
Smart, cool and assertive. She brings some much needed maturity and logic to the party. Kind of crazy they don't make her the leader. I also love her fighting style and her motorcycle persona lol.

EjCYbcYUMAA0kso
EjPWs1lUYAM5vcE

2) Futaba
I relate to Futaba in a lot of ways. She loves computers and technology, but she has social anxiety that makes it hard for her to speak with people or go out to places she wants to go to. I'm not a total shut-in and haven't suffered the same kind of trauma she has, but I can empathize with her. She's way smarter than me, though -- I'm no super hacker. Also, she had one of the best palaces and story. Also, Also, I like little sister characters.

EjZ_E9JVoAEV2YU

EjZ_IYlUcAEt95u

3) Ann
For me, the best part of Persona 5 was the beginning of the game, when you're an outcast and you have a very small social network. It was refreshing compared to Persona 3 and 4. And I related to it a lot since I was also an outcast in high school and got into a lot of trouble. I transferred schools a lot and every time I did I felt more distant from everyone else. In my experience, the transfer kid does not become popular just because they're the new kid. I liked Ann because she saw through the bullshit and confided in me. Despite being a beautiful up and coming model, she did not hide behind a fake facade. She too was an outcast in ways, was deeply troubled, and needed help. I bonded with her early on and choose her for all of the special events/romance options throughout the course of the game.

EivWCnBUcAEi4VN

EjieyY-VcAAi--B

4) Akechi
Akechi is really irritating, though it's by design. He's your rival; he captivates audiences with his intelligence, charm and strong sense of justice. He constantly turns public opinion against you, grounding the Thieves whenever things start going to their heads. As the story progresses, things continue to get very tense between you, leading up to several major twists. It's just a real shame that the game decided to spoil these twists for you by giving some very unsubtle hints/scenes leading up to them. I hate that shit. I didn't play vanilla Persona 5, but to my understanding his character is fleshed out a lot more in the Royal version. So I can understand why people would especially hate him if they only played Vanilla.

I don't have any great screenshots of Akechi. I didn't care much for him for most of my playthrough. Once he started to grow on me, I think the Share button had been disabled by that point. 🤷‍♂️

5) Ryuji
Ryuji was great at the start of the game. He was your first friend at your new school. You reluctantly bond with him because you're both outcasts and you've got no one else. Even though he's kind of annoying, he's a good guy that got done dirty by corrupt adults and now he wants to get back at them. (This is a recurring theme throughout the game that sadly loses steam as it goes on and literally almost every character has the same basic motivation, but it was cool at first.) He reminded me a lot of some friends I made in high school. People who I at first put up with only because they were all I had, but they grew on me, even if it was just a little bit. It's a shame he got kind of cast off to the side and reduced to a joke character.

EjfLUvhU4AU9xmM

Ekt3OU2VMAAyEj_

6) Haru
Haru is a sweet girl, but to be honest I find her pretty boring. I like her costume and codename. I didn't really care about that much about the drama around her father's company and her position as heirass. I'm glad she got free from the creep fiance, though. Also, I deeply respect her love of coffee and cafe culture. I found it pretty weird that she was still okay with her persona powers and with hanging with the phantom thieves, even though her dad dies after her first mission.

EkIBiDuUcAE0Xua

7) Yusuke
I don't like Yusuke that much. His eccentric, starving artist bit gets old very fast. And don't even get me started on the creepy stuff with Ann. But I like his character design and sword moves. It's also interesting that he attends a different school, and his backstory was admittedly good.

8) Morgana
I hate Morgana so much. The way he always creeps on Ann. The way he always bullies Ryuji. But the final straw was all that drama bullshit that started around the beach vacation/Haru arc. Also, I wish I could erase his human form my memory.

Eij5a-jUcAA9kOQ

THANK YOU FOR COMING TO MY TED TALK! ♥

EifmW8pUwAAmGwb

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Yes? Not sure what in my post you think would be different if I believed he was real. Akechi is trash and a psychopath.
Because of your side-eye comment. People love villainous characters all the time, people especially love the exact type of villainous rival trope that Akechi represents, but that doesn't reflect on them because it's fiction.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Ryuji sucks so him being so low is good by me and also. I like Akechi , he's not my favorite character ever but I enjoy his character (especially in Royal, where he's pretty much top 3 character).

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Because of your side-eye comment. People love villainous characters all the time, people especially love the exact type of villainous rival trope that Akechi represents, but that doesn't reflect on them because it's fiction.
Sure! People like characters like Dracula, or rivals in Pokemon, or many other characters that have actual presentable personalities beyond liking to murder for the sake of it.

People who empathize with/most like characters equivalent to silence of the lambs Hannibal Lector or Goro Akechi, over the rest of the characters should probably get the side eye. It's always possible there isn't a realization that the character they "like" isn't actually Goro Akechi, but his fake personality he puts on, or just like them because they think they're hot and don't want to say that, and that's probably okay too.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Everybody says Ryuji sucks but if he was your friend he'd be the first person there to pick you up when you're down and if you got jumped at school he'd rush in without hesitation and get his ass kicked too if it meant you got hit a few less times. Dude's a loud moron but he's ready to die for his friends.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I can never understand why these polls include the MC when he is generally a silent character in the games. Akechi being so high on the list I understand, but still even after playing Royal I never really liked him. He is too much of a edgelord for my tastes.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Never understood the appeal of Akechi as a character, especially as a villain. Main character is barely a character, so that's weird also.

May 10, 2018
Seems about right. I know the poll is based on vanilla P5 but Royal Akechi is great and Makato has a nuclear motorcycle and is the FIST OF JUSTICE.,

Deleted member 10119

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2021

wtf is this slander.
He is by far one of the best written characters in this game outside of Kasumi and Futaba.

All the phantom thieves constantly talking about how high their Phan-site ratings are and how they are "reforming society" and "look at us! we're the Phantom thieves woooooot!" and all this other high and mighty bullshit.

Atleast Akechi had a goal that made sense. Everything he does is to get back at his father who dumped him as a child and led him to grow up having a shitty life. That "facade" goes away once you get his confidant rank high enough and he straight up tells you "i hate you".

He is a great character because he is not there to service the player's ego by being your friend, he has a goal and if you get in the way of that, he will shoot your ass. That makes him feel more like a person and less like a videogame character whose life orbits around the player like so many other games.

The base game Akechi is a "meh" character, so I can understand why people hate him, I did too. The new content at the end of Royal is what made him awesome and makes him top 3 easily.