• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
its kinda interesting to see how they alter stuff from the main game, like the boss character is presumably an alternate kamoshida just doing baseball instead of volleyball, i assume just cause more popular in china maybe

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Yeah there is some nice lighting / reflections going on:

RKZfigX.png

XHGlkdH.png

Edit: Beaten with a gif above.

That looks a LOT better than P5.

Great lighting and reflections can make a game.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the lighting effects look really nice to be fair. Like the wet crossing at night looks great.
Yeah I'll give you this one, it does look nice, but I also question how much you'll actually get to walk around there because I know how these mobile games often work.
I dunno. There are some elements like the animation, some of the blatant reuse, and some objects that are obvious downgrades. But there's also lighting/shadows and environments that are obvious upgrades.

View: https://i.imgur.com/RSkHRWw.mp4

The school one looks worse in a way I'm not 100% sure how to describe. I'd call it too "clean" for lack of a better word. I pulled the below screenshot off of Google, but the way I would describe P5X's is too simple, clean (no relation to Kingdom Hearts), and primitive. I assume the P5X school is not Shujin, so it doesn't have to look exactly the same of course, but it looks like an absolute downgrade from Persona 5/Royal.

maxresdefault.jpg

It looks noticeably better than Persona 5 imo. Especially lighting wise.
Parts like the rainy crosswalk look great, but stuff like the school and even the dungeons and combat look noticeably worse. Animations in some cases have that overproduced "Mobile game" feeling to them, while others look incredibly cheap and out of place. The post-battle screen and loading screen with the train look like discount versions of the ones in P5.

DqVuEYX.jpg

P5R2.jpg

I think my biggest issue overall with the visuals is having that "clean" mobile game energy, with is something that always irked me.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
So did the original P5/P5R not release in China?

Apparently it did, but I doubt it sold very well at all. Hence, this game now exists.

I'm actually pretty taken aback at some of the positive buzz and excitement surrounding this announcement from Western fans. I mean to me this clearly looks like an officially sanctioned bootleg Persona 5 specifically made for the Chinese market because the console version will never sell well there.

My guess is that ATLUS has no interest in publishing this outside of China, or is at the very least hesitant, because of how similar it is to the real P5 and the only reason it's being made is so that the Chinese could have an "equivalent" game that is designed for their market.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
its kinda interesting to see how they alter stuff from the main game, like the boss character is presumably an alternate kamoshida just doing baseball instead of volleyball, i assume just cause more popular in china maybe
Yeah stuff like that makes it feel like a cheap imitation. The owl basically being Morgana...but an owl...and even turns into a PT Cruiser.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
The dude is incredibly boring. Even his thief costume black on black on black...

The girl is super cool though

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks pretty good visually, especially the underwater Velvet Room.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
User banned (1 month): Sinophobic rhetoric
When Persona fans are so desperate for a new announcement that they are getting excited for a Chinese knock-off.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'll give you this one, it does look nice, but I also question how much you'll actually get to walk around there because I know how these mobile games often work.
To be fair, quite a number of mobile games nowadays have more expansive exploration compared to any Persona. Heck, the publisher of this game is also the one behind Tower of Fantasy, which is an open-world mobile game.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Apparently it did, but I doubt it sold very well at all. Hence, this game now exists.

I'm actually pretty taken aback at some of the positive buzz and excitement surrounding this announcement from Western fans. I mean to me this clearly looks like an officially sanctioned bootleg Persona 5 specifically made for the Chinese market because the console version will never sell well there.

My guess is that ATLUS has no interest in publishing this outside of China, or is at the very least hesitant, because of how similar it is to the real P5 and the only reason it's being made is so that the Chinese could have an "equivalent" game that is designed for their market.

I'm not over the moon with this announcement, I didn't even like the original P5 that much, but I get the excitement. If Atlus came out and told us this was an official sequel to the P5 verse a la Strikers no one would bat an eye. Isn't the plot of that game ALREADY a retread of 5?

Just seeing new cool Personas and Soejima character designs after this long is a treat.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Why do you doubt Persona 5 sold well in China?

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
do you think it'll be region locked if it's coming to pc too? It could be a similar situation to Megaman X Dive.

Last edited:

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
This looks genuinely impressive for a mobile game, and I've never really considered myself a mobile hater. I hope it releases in the west one day

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
If Atlus came out and told us this was an official sequel to the P5 verse a la Strikers no one would bat an eye.

Bro if ATLUS tried to reveal this as an "official" game with that "new" MC wearing the same outfit as Joker and changed Morgana from a cat to an owl, it would be laziest and least creative game that had ever made. Strikers was a new adventure with the old cast. This looks like the same adventure with a "new" cast.

Why do you doubt Persona 5 sold well in China?

I just know consoles were banned in China until 2015 or so and it's dominated by PC and mobile.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

The school one looks worse in a way I'm not 100% sure how to describe. I'd call it too "clean" for lack of a better word. I pulled the below screenshot off of Google, but the way I would describe P5X's is too simple, clean (no relation to Kingdom Hearts), and primitive. I assume the P5X school is not Shujin, so it doesn't have to look exactly the same of course, but it looks like an absolute downgrade from Persona 5/Royal.

maxresdefault.jpg

Parts like the rainy crosswalk look great, but stuff like the school and even the dungeons and combat look noticeably worse. Animations in some cases have that overproduced "Mobile game" feeling to them, while others look incredibly cheap and out of place. The post-battle screen and loading screen with the train look like discount versions of the ones in P5.

DqVuEYX.jpg

P5R2.jpg

I think my biggest issue overall with the visuals is having that "clean" mobile game energy, with is something that always irked me.
I disagree tbh.

Even the school shot looks much better due to better lighting and reflections to me. And the animations also look better across the board with some of them in the cutscenes looking noticeably better than what we saw in P5. In terms of dungeons I think the design in what they've shown looks simpler/less complicated visually so I get where you are coming from but I think it still looks good.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Bro if ATLUS tried to reveal this as an "official" game with that "new" MC wearing the same outfit as Joker and changed Morgana from a cat to an owl, it would be laziest and least creative game that had ever made. Strikers was a new adventure with the old cast. This looks like the same adventure with a "new" cast

Bro, they literally sold the same adventure with a tacked on 15 hour DLC at the end two years later and people loved it.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree tbh.

Even the school shot looks much better due to better lighting and reflections to me. And the animations also look better across the board with some of them in the cutscenes looking noticeably better than what we saw in P5. In terms of dungeons I think the design in what they've shown looks simpler/less complicated visually so I get where you are coming from but I think it still looks good.
I'm gonna disagree with the animations, looks way less smooth and is missing the flourish from P5.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Bro, they literally sold the same adventure with a tacked on 15 hour DLC at the end two years later and people loved it.
Yeah that's called a "GOTY" edition and developers do it all the time, and you are completely missing my point. That it them selling you the old game and saying it's the old game PLUS more.

This is selling the old game and saying it's a new game because morgana is now an owl. If this was an "official" release for the Western/Japanese market it would basically be them throwing their hands in the air and giving up because they're not even trying anymore. But it's NOT that because... this is a cheap, mobile knock-off.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Yeah that's called a "GOTY" edition and developers do it all the time, and you are completely missing my point. That it them selling you the old game and saying it's the old game PLUS more.

This is selling the old game and saying it's a new game because morgana is now an owl.

I will agree with you if the game is a complete beat by beat retelling of the original P5, but I doubt that will be the case. Also, this is clearly not being advertised as something completely unrelated to the original 5.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna disagree with the animations, looks way less smooth and is missing the flourish from P5.
I don't know what to say then. The animation in 00:54 looks much better than anything we've seen in P5 from what I remember. P5 in-game cutscene animations looked kinda stilted, but here it looks very smooth. The one at 02:44 also looks good and smooth beyond what I remember from P5 proper. The rest of animations also look good.

Edit: Also the hair movement in gameplay and cutscene looks nice and something that we didn't see in P5. You can see an example of it at 01:08 when the train passes by.

This is selling the old game and saying it's a new game because morgana is now an owl. If this was an "official" release for the Western/Japanese market it would basically be them throwing their hands in the air and giving up because they're not even trying anymore. But it's NOT that because... this is a cheap, mobile knock-off.
And two years after Royal they sold it again at full price with no new additions, this time running at 60fps and people still praised it to high heavens and had no complaints.

If this was called Persona 5: What If and came out day and date globally people would've been all over it.

Last edited:

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
I will agree with you if the game is a complete beat by beat retelling of the original P5, but I doubt that will be the case. Also, this is clearly not being advertised as something completely unrelated to the original 5.

Even if this is a "new" story, it's probably the same game thematically with only surface-level differences in the narrative. Since there's a "morgana" equivalent, I'm guessing there is a "Kamoshia" equivalent, "Akechi" equivalent, etc. So I wouldn't find this to be an acceptable game for a console release. But as a free Gacha game, sure. But I'm not interested.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet sweet GaaS Gacha money.

Persona 5 but it never ends and has gambling.
That's kinda a different conversation altogether, no? Mr. Genuine said that this is a "Persona 5 specifically made for the Chinese market because the console version will never sell well there."

But if they just want to sell "a Persona 5 that's not the console version" then they've already done that.

If they want "sweet sweet GaaS Gacha money" then that doesn't necessarily apply specifically to Chinese market and how the console version of the original P5 didn't sell well there.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
If this was called Persona 5: What If and came out day and date globally people would've been all over it.

If people can really look at this and go "This looks interesting. I would totally pay $60 for this", then people really have no standards. But I guess ATLUS would be happy because they can continue making the same game but all they have to do is change the species of the animal character.

But thankfully the reality is that it's just a cheap mobile gacha.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
When Persona fans are so desperate for a new announcement that they are getting excited for a Chinese knock-off.

Persona Megafan here.

I agree with you. As soon as I saw this, the first thing on my radar was "mobile gacha bullshit." I don't understand why the hell there's any kind of excitement for this at all.

If anything, I'm upset because some of these designs deserve a better home than this game.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
If people can really look at this and go "This looks interesting. I would totally pay $60 for this", then people really have no standards. But I guess ATLUS would be happy because they can continue making the same game but all they have to do is change the species of the animal character.

I would not buy it for 60$ but the reality is that a sizeable amount of people would. People make fun of Atlus fans for this very reason in the daily.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Why are we calling a Persona 5 licensed spin-off a Chinese knockoff…?
Officially licensed doesn't mean creative or original. Which is what I meant.

I would not buy it for 60$ but the reality is that a sizeable amount of people would. People make fun of Atlus fans for this very reason in the daily.
Yeah and this might be a real problem. But I would like to think ATLUS Japan would think this doesn't fit the standards for an "official" release. Maybe we'll really find out when we see how similar or different P6 looks to P5.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Then I'd say you expect a lot from the fanbase that had no problem buying P5 three times already.

Also I don't see what part of this game looks "cheap" tbh. Looks very high quality in terms of production values relative to the main series.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we calling a Persona 5 licensed spin-off a Chinese knockoff…?

Def a lowkey kind of racist statement just because it's CN developed. Which I don't even get, CN developers have shown they can make some great things already.

Even if a lot of them are gacha yeah.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Also I don't see what part of this game looks "cheap" tbh. Looks very high quality in terms of production values relative to the main series.
I'm repeating myself many times now, but I'll clarify what I mean one last time. When I say this looks "cheap" or "bad", I mean it looks like they are copying and pasting P5 into a gacha game and changing surface level things like the species of Morgana and the decor of the Velvet room. But that's FINE for a mobile gacha. I just don't understand why people would be all that excited to play it and it just disturbs me that apparently some people would think this would be acceptable for a $60 console release.

Nov 1, 2017
Given the target country, surely the anti-authority themes of the original Personal 5 will be scrubbed out right?

"These Phantom Thieves will change the hearts of people with low social credit scores!"

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm repeating myself many times now, but I'll clarify what I mean one last time. When I say this looks "cheap" or "bad", I mean it looks like they are copying and pasting P5 into a gacha game and changing surface level things like the species of Morgana and the decor of the Velvet room. But that's FINE for a mobile gacha. I just don't understand why people would be all that excited to play it and it just disturbs me that apparently some people would think this would be acceptable for a $60 console release.
I'm gonna keep it real with you, I think you are really hung up on the "mobile gacha" part.

There was no part of the trailer itself that even gave me gacha vibes and I wouldn't have known this was gacha (or mobile only) if it wasn't part of the description that came with the news. The trailer itself just looks like another Persona 5 spin-off, but this time with a new cast. It actually looks really good and faithful to the Persona series overall with the gameplay bits and overall feel of it.

I think if we got the same trailer, but the description said internally developed by P-Studios and advertised it as a console/PC spin-off of P5, the reception would've been even better. No one would've bat an eye at this being another proper JRPG Persona. I doubt you'd get anyone telling you that it feels like a "gacha" or "mobile" game to them.

Nahobinbro

Jun 7, 2022
The quality of the art direction for the new characters, persona, and the new Velvet room are all pretty impressive - quite aside from how good the game looks for mobile.

PolygonalDude

Banned
Mar 1, 2022
I'm gonna keep it real with you, I think you are really hung up on the "mobile gacha" part.

There was no part of the trailer itself that even gave me gacha vibes and I wouldn't have known this was gacha (or mobile only) if it wasn't part of the description that came with the news. The trailer itself just looks like another Persona 5 spin-off, but this time with a new cast. It actually looks really good and faithful to the Persona series overall with the gameplay bits and overall feel of it.

I think if we got the same trailer, but the description said internally developed by P-Studios and advertised it as a console/PC spin-off of P5, the reception would've been even better. No one would've bat an eye at this being another proper JRPG Persona. I doubt you'd get anyone telling you that it feels like a "gacha" or "mobile" game to them.
Yep but if it never leaves CN region i will be super bummed

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I mean I'd play it. Would my expectations for it be as high as a Persona 6? Of course not. But it looks really impressive for what it is and I'd give it a shot as "More P5" to hold me over. Sounds like the odds of it getting released in America are slim to none though, so I'm just going to give a slightly sad nod and move on. Certainly wouldn't be the first time I don't get to play a Persona mobile game. Who here remembers "Persona 3 Social" and "Persona Mobile Online"?

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Given the target country, surely the anti-authority themes of the original Personal 5 will be scrubbed out right?

"These Phantom Thieves will change the hearts of people with low social credit scores!"
It's still set in Japan and the anti-authority themes in the original Persona 5 is pretty toothless, anyway. As long as the main character doesn't target a foreign politician from the west or something it's not likely the government would care.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018

There was no part of the trailer itself that even gave me gacha vibes and I wouldn't have known this was gacha (or mobile only) if it wasn't part of the description that came with the news. The trailer itself just looks like another Persona 5 spin-off this time with a new cast. It actually looks really good and faithful to the Persona series overall with the gameplay bits and overall feel of it.
I agree it doesn't "look" like a mobile gacha! I have nothing against gacha games! I don't care about that at all!

Where we disgree apparently is that the content of this trailer, meaning the characters and what can be gleaned from the "story" constitutes enough originality to be worthy of anything MORE than a free mobile game. To me it is TOO similar to P5 to be interested. That's all.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda a different conversation altogether, no? Mr. Genuine said that this is a "Persona 5 specifically made for the Chinese market because the console version will never sell well there."

But if they just want to sell "a Persona 5 that's not the console version" then they've already done that.

If they want "sweet sweet GaaS Gacha money" then that doesn't necessarily apply specifically to Chinese market and how the console version of the original P5 didn't sell well there.

Yeah, Sega/Atlus already has a global gacha with SMT Dx2 that's been running a few years. I don't know why they would make something so nice-looking as this and then limit potential revenue to just the Chinese market. But Atlus going to Atlus.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
What I want to understand is how gacha brings anything good to the table in this game? Does it ever bring? I feel like gacha design only makes things boring after a while.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Sega/Atlus already has a global gacha with SMT Dx2 that's been running a few years. I don't know why they would make something so nice-looking as this and then limit potential revenue to just the Chinese market. But Atlus going to Atlus.
The answer is this isn't Atlus. It's Perfect World. They're the distributor.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The combination of 3D anime models with semi-realistic settings/backgrounds were nice.

Maybe this could be where P6 using too.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Probably plot, her design reminds me of the original teaser image for this game.
image.png

That character can be seen at 3:04 in the gameplay trailer.

There is a lot to chew in this first official look. We got a glimpse of 6 full new party members. And all my kudos for all the new Persona designs. I adore every single one of them.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The answer is this isn't Atlus. It's Perfect World. They're the distributor.

That's not really the answer when Atlus made the choice to license it to them. Atlus made that decision to say, "Why don't we give it to these guys to make a Persona gacha title and then lock it to one country." "Sounds good, I'm sure it would be a failure in the global market"