• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If I had to guess the gacha would probably be for costumes and weapons like how Nier: Reincarnation works rather than being for actual characters or Personas since they are so integral to the story

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to guess the gacha would probably be for costumes and weapons like how Nier: Reincarnation works rather than being for actual characters or Personas since they are so integral to the story

No way.

I doubt very seriously the original Phantom Thieves are going to be available for free. You might even be able to pull ranked versions of your party members.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Games like Genshin Impact managed to nail the gatcha characters being a huge part of the story even if you didn't pull them. It's not great, and it's one of the reason people hate gatcha games, but they can absolutely pull if off if they want to.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
No way.

I doubt very seriously the original Phantom Thieves are going to be available for free. You might even be able to pull ranked versions of your party members.
Sorry ranked versions is basically what I meant, costumes are essentially different versions of the character with different skills, higher stats etc.

I was more saying that the characters themselves (the base versions most likely) would all be available from playing the story but you'd get better versions of them through the gacha and non-main characters like the phantom thieves or collab characters would be gacha only

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry ranked versions is basically what I meant, costumes are essentially different versions of the character with different skills, higher stats etc.

I was more saying that the characters themselves (the base versions most likely) would all be available from playing the story but you'd get better versions of them through the gacha and non-main characters like the phantom thieves or collab characters would be gacha only

Oh, okay. I understand now.

I think something like that is pretty likely.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, getting ranked/limited version of characters seems likely. I can also see them adding a lot of the confidants and side characters as party members through the gacha system as well. And ofc the Personas.

Nov 1, 2017
This seems like just a win/win for Atlus/Sega Sammy.

Someone looks at Persona 5, and feels like the great style would work for the Chinese market, but the thematic elements may not fly with the Chinese censors. Atlus makes a boatload on licensing fees while Perfect Worlds and Black Wings Studios takes on all the risk of essentially rebuilding Persona 5 for the Chinese mobile F2P market.

Atlus doesn't need to worry about diluting the Persona 5 brand because it's exclusive to China.

If people are impressed by how it looks, remember the original P5 targeted the PS3, and modern mobile games have leapfrogged that in terms of technology.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
OK so I watched the trailer again and saw that the featured female character is a baseball player who is being harassed by her teacher (telling her to get on her knees.) So it's Ann instead she plays baseball instead of volleyball and morgana is an owl instead of a cat.

This is why it's (probably) not releasing here. It's way too similar to the original game and it's intended for an audience that has not played P5.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
when i first heard this i did not know it would A be on PC and B be china only *ATM*

in my mind i thought p5 was always playable over there but when i think about the themes i doubt the CCP would be happy with the main themes of the game so i guess it makes sense for them to get the rights to make their own version , the more i look at it the more it really does look like a retelling of p5 first palace boss looks just like the baseball one in this

im just wondering how heavily gacha this will be will it be on the side of adding a small cast of new characters that just have different outfits to gacha for or will i be able to pull a 5 star Ann

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Insterested to see how they will adapt the calendar system to the game.
I'd guess it will be just replaced by a stamina system. And although days might progress there will be no in-universe calendar. There never seemed to be any calendar in the trailer, but there was this one icon with a hourglass and a number beside it in the map screen. Actual calendar specific holiday events likely will just follow real time like usual for mobile games.

Lui

Sep 22, 2022
when i first heard this i did not know it would A be on PC and B be china only *ATM*

in my mind i thought p5 was always playable over there but when i think about the themes i doubt the CCP would be happy with the main themes of the game so i guess it makes sense for them to get the rights to make their own version , the more i look at it the more it really does look like a retelling of p5 first palace boss looks just like the baseball one in this

im just wondering how heavily gacha this will be will it be on the side of adding a small cast of new characters that just have different outfits to gacha for or will i be able to pull a 5 star Ann
P5 is allowed in China. The only things they censored is like Ryuji's shoes

Lui

Sep 22, 2022
then im at a lost as to why this exist lol, did not know that seems like it was changed in the kr version as well looking it up
Like someone said above consoles in China were banned up until 2015 and P5 was only on ps4 up until only a couple months ago. Most Chinese gamers are on mobile and pc anyways so Atlus will probably make more money off a persona gacha game on mobile/pc than a game that was for most of its lifetime on console.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
OK so I watched the trailer again and saw that the featured female character is a baseball player who is being harassed by her teacher (telling her to get on her knees.) So it's Ann instead she plays baseball instead of volleyball and morgana is an owl instead of a cat.

This is why it's (probably) not releasing here. It's way too similar to the original game and it's intended for an audience that has not played P5.
Yeah this was something that made it come off as feeling like a cheap imitation
Wasn't China the reason the Raidou outfits were cut from all versions of the game in the 2022 release?

That's really weird. I made a "we have P5 at home" joke but I ended up not being far off.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this was something that made it come off as feeling like a cheap imitation

Wasn't China the reason the Raidou outfits were cut from all versions of the game in the 2022 release?
it was censored because of korea too because those uniforms have an insane amount of cultural baggage in countries that imperial japan colonized in an era a lot of japanese pop media still romanticizes.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
it was censored because of korea too because those uniforms have an insane amount of cultural baggage in countries that imperial japan colonized in an era a lot of japanese pop media still romanticizes.
I did find it really bizarre though that they took them out of ALL regional versions of P5R, and yet only the Chinese and Korean versions for Soul Hackers 2, the rest of the regions still had the Raidou costumes.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Huh its China only. Now that is an Atlus-ism taken to a whole new level lol

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I am left wondering if they will feature a bazillion new characters for the gacha banners or if they will just spam alt versions for the old+new cast.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
I did find it really bizarre though that they took them out of ALL regional versions of P5R, and yet only the Chinese and Korean versions for Soul Hackers 2, the rest of the regions still had the Raidou costumes.
maybe the complaints about them removing it from p5r informed how they did it for sh2 later on. though i am in the camp that they should probably just forget about raidou (or at least the taisho period setting), i find western fans are generally unsympathetic to the issue with his outfit.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
maybe the complaints about them removing it from p5r informed how they did it for sh2 later on. though i am in the camp that they should probably just forget about raidou (or at least the taisho period setting), i find western fans are generally unsympathetic to the issue with his outfit.
SH2 came out before P5R's 2022 rerelease.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Given the target country, surely the anti-authority themes of the original Personal 5 will be scrubbed out right?

"These Phantom Thieves will change the hearts of people with low social credit scores!"

FYI and off topic but there isn't really a social credit score system in China.

www.technologyreview.com

China just announced a new social credit law. Here’s what it means.

The West has largely gotten China’s social credit system wrong. But draft legislation introduced in November offers a more accurate picture of the reality.

Any form of scoring for social behaviour seems to only occur in very small cities, implemented by the local government. Nationwise there is no system and apparently their central government never talked about wanting one,

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
I'm actually pretty taken aback at some of the positive buzz and excitement surrounding this announcement from Western fans. I mean to me this clearly looks like an officially sanctioned bootleg Persona 5 specifically made for the Chinese market because the console version will never sell well there.

I feel dismayed people are positive about this tbh. Bootleg, cheap imitation knock off Persona 5 being this accepted just sucks.

It's basically taking a shit on P5 is how I see it, and yet people are cool with it.

Just call it anything else but Persona 5, because this is not it at all. They're just using and profiting off the original game's popularity. Why couldn't they just do something else, or their own thing?

In that case I have no idea what the point of this is then.

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
Wow, some of the designs really are cool. MC is mid, just a discount Joker. But the others look great additions to the P5 cast, even more so the the Strikers characters imo. The owl mascot and the girl rocking the Kill Bill look are dope.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I feel dismayed people are positive about this tbh. Bootleg, cheap imitation knock off Persona 5 being this accepted just sucks.

It's basically taking a shit on P5 is how I see it, and yet people are cool with it.

Just call it anything else but Persona 5, because this is not it at all. They're just using and profiting off the original game's popularity. Why couldn't they just do something else, or their own thing?

I find people like you to be ridiculous; this isn't just some Chinese company ripping off Atlus, running designs through a Soejima AI... It's made with Atlus, the designs are Soejima, and if they get Meguro to do new tracks for it, those will probably be great too; did you whine about people liking Strikers because you thought that was bootleg? It's called a spin off.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
I find people like you to be ridiculous; this isn't just some Chinese company ripping off Atlus, running designs through a Soejima AI... It's made with Atlus, the designs are Soejima, and if they get Meguro to do new tracks for it, those will probably be great too; did you whine about people liking Strikers because you thought that was bootleg? It's called a spin off.

They're literally rehashing P5 but with new characters.

They even changed "bad volleyball coach" to "bad baseball coach." They copied Joker's AoA portrait, and even the victory screen after you win a battle, which is exactly the same. If that's isn't rip off bootleg, then I don't know what is.

Strikers is an actual sequel using the original P5 cast, so that is an extremely bad example.

They made a game that is literally taking the ideas in P5, using a new cast for it, and then slapping P5 on it because they wanted to leverage its popularity.

Last edited:
It's a mobile game meant to capitalize on P5's popularity. There's nothing really weird about it. It actually looks pretty near in terms of production values, the main thing that turns me off is that it's a little too similar to P5. I've already had my fill of both classic and Royal P5, P5 one more time where the only fucntional difference are some new characters doesn't really appeal to me, especially if storylines from the first game are going to be rehashed (we don't need a second Kamoshida).

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
They're literally rehashing P5 but with new characters.

They even changed "bad volleyball coach" to "bad baseball coach." They copied Joker's AoA portrait, and even the victory screen after you win a battle. If that's isn't rip off bootleg, then I don't know what is.

Strikers is an actual sequel using the original P5 cast, so that is an extremely bad example.

They made a game that is literally taking the ideas in P5, using a new cast for it, and then slapping P5 on it because they wanted to leverage its popularity.

Seems a little soon to say the story is a complete retread, and even then taking concepts from one thing and remaining them isn't some new concept, especially in gaming. Also, most are excited by the designs, which are new, and the combat which is probably going to be different just due to the nature of gacha; I'm not seeing how that's some sort of insult to P5.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
I'm not seeing how that's some sort of insult to P5.

It relates to P5 in no way whatsoever, than just to imitate it.

It is, quite literally, a rip off.

Why is it called P5, if it has nothing to do with the original P5?

If the only link between the two is to have the original cast be stupid gacha prizes.. imagine being a guest in your own game...

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Okay wait, no. Ann doesn't play volleyball. None of the Phantom Thieves in the original is actually sports themed (not even Ryuji who was a runner). And we don't actually know whether Kine is Arai's teacher or if he's an actual baseball coach (because people's perception tends to be different than their actual profession. Kamoshida is a king, Madarame is a museum curator, etc). We don't even know that Kine is harassing her. About the only thing that's certain from the trailer is that Kine is an adult who does Arai wrong in some way, and that's basically every villain in the original game.

At this point it just seems that you assume a lot of things based on the belief that everything must have been an imitation.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

This confirms it. It's not related at all and the thieves are just units they'll sell with low pull rate I guess. Fully expect to see things like swimsuit Makoto, Ann, Joker etc and other variant units. The story looks the exact same too I mean come on you have a phys ed teacher as the first target again but instead of volleyball it is base ball. Character designs are amazing but it's a real shame this is just p5 with different assets.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
It relates to P5 in no way whatsoever, than just to imitate it.

It is, quite literally, a rip off.

Why is it called P5, if it has nothing to do with the original P5?

If the only link between the two is to have the original cast be stupid gacha prizes.. imagine being a guest in your own game...

I don't know what to tell you: I like the new designs, I hope there's new music, I want to see what the combat will be like, and I'm overall more interested in what they do new, more than I'm worried about what's the same. 🤷‍♂️

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
I don't know what to tell you: I like the new designs, I hope there's new music, I want to see what the combat will be like, and I'm overall more interested in what they do new, more than I'm worried about what's the same. 🤷‍♂️

If you like it, good for you?

That doesn't stop it from being what it truly is at heart: a game that just wants to profit, and rip off of, another's popularity instead of doing its own thing for lack of creativity.

They didn't even design the characters themselves. Soejima did.

People aren't "ridiculous", as you so kindly put it earlier, for not liking something to be cheaply imitated poorly, especially if it's something they like a lot. Not everyone jumps on board the moment something shiny and new appears.

It really isn't that hard to understand why a certain portion of P5 fans absolutely hate this, unless someone is dunking their heads in the sand being clueless and in denial to what is blatantly obvious...

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, "yellow safari jacket-blazer thing with a trench belt" doesn't really work, especially topped with the bow and skirt. I feel like this is showcasing how much Soejima gets fashion, and how a lot of character designers just...don't

Seriously, lol. I'd change schools. xP
beigesafarijacket_2.jpg
1679023024936689.png
maxresdefault.jpg