• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"As liberal as most"

Covering for racist cops and opportunistically scamming community leaders on his Douglas Plan...

I guess you yourself could try to make these defining traits of your idea of "liberal." As a leftist myself, I will refrain from comment. đź‘€

We need someone to pull a Tulsi on his ass for that.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
If it's gotta be pete it's gotta be pete and I'll be out there voting for him, but yeah...he does seem really opportunistic and like he's not running because he really has some vision he wants to work toward. I have regular contact with some older white liberals and they do all like Pete, and it's basically because he sounds good. He talks smart and stuff. And he does! He talks very smart-like.

I think the case with some older white liberals and center-left voters is that they're pretty comfortable with the long-term status quo, deep down they think climate change will just work out one way or the other, medicare is working alright for them, and they ultimately, after Trump, just want a president on TV that can cogently express coherent thoughts in full sentences and that they can look at and listen to and say "yeah, I like that guy." And I think Pete looks pretty good from that perspective.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
petes a smart dude.
I feel like sometimes we're kidding ourselves when we believe for half a second that we will get someone like Bernie or Warren into the Whitehouse.
You think the rich are just gonna let us do that?

We have to start small.
It shouldn't only be Berne/warren/the squad in congress representing progressives. We need to start electing more of those candidates nationwide before we even think we can get the presidency.
Just look at all the precursors to trump.
the cons didn't just start with him, they've been going mask off for decades.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
It's impossible for Pete to win the primary due to his basically nonexistent black support. If this doesn't fade (and there's still time for that to happen, he's just the current fresh face after Warren's drop), then it could be good in one sense - by beating Biden, he punctures Biden's main selling point, that he's inevitable. That might cause voters in other states to reassess who they support.

Hopefully Bernie (or Warren) would benefit.

That said, fuck Pete.
This is kind of my take, too. Warren screwed up with her healthcare plan, and he's now the fresh face that some people have moved to as people got disillusioned. Hoping Warren can make a comeback.

Her first 100 days plan for healthcare that came out ~yesterday was a step in the right direction, but it also somehow resulted in her having a position on healthcare than the public option, so ...ugh. I'm surprised we didn't have a thread on this, actually.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of my take, too. Warren screwed up with her healthcare plan, and he's now the fresh face that some people have moved to as people got disillusioned. Hoping Warren can make a comeback.

Her first 100 days plan for healthcare that came out ~yesterday was a step in the right direction, but it also somehow resulted in her having a position on healthcare than the public option, so ...ugh. I'm surprised we didn't have a thread on this, actually.
I'm shocked there wasn't a thread in here as well

I would expect there to be a 10 page thread that eventually get closed

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Who the hell is this guy? Never heard of him? Did he solely only campaign in Iowa or something?
I've got some Iowa friends who love him, so I think probably yes. Its kinda a smart idea. Iowa's caucus is first (and he doesn't have much chance of besting Sanders/Warrens in their home areas). He gets publicitiy out of this. It helps boost him enough to keep raising money elsewhere and continue.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird how he's managed to evade some of the criticisms other candidates have received, while absorbing some of the praise other candidates have deserved. ....
and on the flip side, Pete's intellect seems to have been disproportionately hyped in a race that includes people like Elizabeth Warren.

Psst. Pete is from Harvard. He's even a Rhodes scholar. Basically there is no way to compete with the cultural and marketing cachet of that educational background in America. Warren might as well went to Trump university. None of the candidates can compete with that background directly.

Here's another thing you aren't noticing. Pete is from the midwest. When Americans think of intellectual elites...they think of the coasts.

Pete by being an elite of the midwest will garner more hype as the new great white hope of the poor so to speak.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
It's impossible for Pete to win the primary due to his basically nonexistent black support. If this doesn't fade (and there's still time for that to happen, he's just the current fresh face after Warren's drop), then it could be good in one sense - by beating Biden, he punctures Biden's main selling point, that he's inevitable. That might cause voters in other states to reassess who they support.

Hopefully Bernie (or Warren) would benefit.

That said, fuck Pete.

yeah I'm not at all convinced Pete winning Iowa would ultimately lead to Biden steamrolling in SC, NV and Super Tuesday

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's not in my top three. But I'll easily back him if he's the candidate. I hope he's not, but I'm not gonna shit on the Trump contender at this point.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Mike Huckabee won Iowa, Bernie won Iowa. It's just one small state. It only matters to clear out some of the really low percentage people hopefully with no funds.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
BrasĂ­lia Brazil
Eric Swalwell of all people ethered Pete in the second debate.

Now that Pete is flavor of the month, let´s see how he handles the pressure and the fact that he´s fake on almost every issue. Somebody will take him out and i have a feeling Tulsi is going after him.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If he does, it's less because of Democrats lack of unification and more about how terrible half of it's citizens are.

Iowa is the first state to hold primary voting. It has a large effect on subsequent primaries because the winner gets more coverage. Snowball effect happens.

Ted Cruz, Santorum, Tom Harkin (who?), Bob Dole (1988), Dick Gephardt, George Bush Sr (1980) all won Iowa and went down in flames later.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Some other state should create a law that says they must hold the first caucus or primary and keep moving it to before Iowa's date.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
Hurts Biden more than anybody else.

Buttigieg's near-zero support among black voters dooms him long term.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in a minority on this one clearly but I've been keeping an eye on Buttigieg since he announced his candidacy. Happy to see his campaign start to make some serious waves. He's rightly positioned himself to attack Warren for her vague M4A plan and seems to have capitalized on the skepticism towards her candidacy after its eventual release.

Will happily pivot back to Warren or Sanders if he's unable to follow through in Iowa though.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be a big debate. Also, given his favor ability numbers, I don't think the progressive wings attacks as seen in this thread and Twitter are very effective (Despite what the echo chamber tells you ).

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Who knew folks are drawn to a candidate that's willing to be honest about healthcare.

Its still Iowa. Just like Warren, his minority support is awful. The real takeaway here is twitter liberals remain out of touch.
Warren has much better minority support than Pete by several miles lmao what are you smoking