Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
But he wasn't scoring brownie points because people are complaining about the Xbox one holding back next generation (were you one of those ppl?). One complaint has been replaced with another.

Phil is the one who reverses the narrative on a dime. Projecting these flip flops to deflect criticism should be on a bingo board at this point.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Two things have become clear post-showcase:

- By "XGS games will be crossgen for the first couple year", they really meant "XGS doesn't have any games in the first couple years, except some yet-unreleased Xbox One games that are already announced." It's possible this could change, if MS has a Global Publishing game they haven't announced yet, but beyond that, it looks like ALL of their studios are accounted for with no games set to release in 2020 or 2021 outside of Psychonauts 2.

- Cross-gen absolutely holds back their games. Halo Infinite looks like it suffers a whole lot from being designed for Xbox One. And don't tell me it would have been impossible for Halo to target next-gen only because it's been in dev so long. Halo 1 was a launch title! Killzone Shadow Fall was clearly never a PS3 game either! It's quite possible, they just didn't do it.

There's a such thing as project scope. Halo 1 and Killzone: Shadow Fall, from day 1, were being developed for the respective consoles they released on. It will have been over 5 years since 343i released Halo 5 when Halo Infinite drops, and prior to that, they had never gone more than three years in between releasing games. I truly doubt that Microsoft went into Halo Infinite's development in 2015, knowing that their next generation would be launching in 5 years, and were like "that's the date we're shooting for!"

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
There's a such thing as project scope. Halo 1 and Killzone: Shadow Fall, from day 1, were being developed for the respective consoles they released on. It will have been over 5 years since 343i released Halo 5 when Halo Infinite drops, and prior to that, they had never gone more than three years in between releasing games. I truly doubt that Microsoft went into Halo Infinite's development in 2015, knowing that their next generation would be launching in 5 years, and were like "that's the date we're shooting for!"
Then perhaps they should have. And if they didn't, they could have switched gears 2 or 3 years in. They simply didn't, and we end up with this result.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that is true, there is no CEO position at Xbox.
I thought he was the highest head at Xbox.
Maybe, as you said, he is forced to say such things, somehow i feel sorry for him.

"Forced" is strong, I think he's just putting out fires maybe. All companies will happily lie to consumers, they don't lie to the shareholders. What Phil tells us all is very different from the company line is all. Credit where it's due, he's made some good changes, but this is the forth year they've had nothing for us... My benefit of the doubt is spent.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah but they def knew in 2016, and honestly I'm pretty sure MS started next gen planning at minimum since 2016-17.it takes years to plan these systems,esp when partnering with AMD and align with their roadmap.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
It is kind of...weird, that mentions of xbox one got deleted post-show from avowed and everwild's websites (or was that medium?). Wonder why it was listed there in the first place.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah but they def knew in 2016, and honestly I'm pretty sure MS started next gen planning at minimum since 2016-17.it takes years to plan these systems,esp when partnering with AMD and align with their roadmap.

It's pretty clear that Halo Infinite has had a development road map filled with issues. It's been heavily rumored for a while now, especially when lead developers on the project were leaving. Given their development history, and the holes they've had for release schedules this generation, I truly think they were planning on originally releasing this game in 2018-2019.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
The big one for me is the "boo hoo I hate console exclusivity" sob story then immediately announcing 20 of em lmao
He's doing PR. It is what it is
Most of their games are on PC. Xbox is going to have less and less exclusives.
Phil is the one who reverses the narrative on a dime. Projecting these flip flops to deflect criticism should be on a bingo board at this point.
He's experimenting. If it doesn't work he'll drastically change course and do something else. I don't have a problem with that, for the most part.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
"Forced" is strong, I think he's just putting out fires maybe. All companies will happily lie to consumers, they don't lie to the shareholders. What Phil tells us all is very different from the company line is all. Credit where it's due, he's made some good changes, but this is the forth year they've had nothing for us... My benefit of the doubt is spent.

Yes, maybe forced is to strong.
Of course they tell you what they think you want to hear, deep inside they are salesmen.
But overpromising some guidelines, with some vague words, can give someone a bad look.
Even more so if you make some little hints to the guidelines of other companies in the business.

And of course they are also trying to oversell ideas to shareholders, but with the same vague words.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

If they started dev in 2015 and had the "10 year Halo platform" plan in place from the start on top of developing a brand new engine, they absolutely should have known right then that they should not be supporting Xbox One. Do they plan on only developing Halo content for the next 10 years that has to support XB1? Thats insanity given the CPU and SSD jump between gens.

Also Halo CE wasn't originally developed for Xbox, it was made for Macs

AllBizness

Mar 22, 2020
Did they label themselves as pro-consumer? I feel that's more of a thing that people on the internet came up with. I feel people are being too harsh with Phil in particular. He's saying that some industry practices annoy him and that he doesn't see them as healthy way to grow your install base. That doesn't mean that market realities aren't forcing him to still use those practices or that the short term advantages of those practices aren't of use to him.
Then why say it? It's naive to think he was not aware of these obvious contradictions. If shit goes left he will be made the scapegoat and will be replaced. I hope he realizes that.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
If those games don't come out till 2022 or later what the hell have some of their studios been doing ? They knew they had a console coming right ?

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer : "All 1st party games will be crossgen for the next 2 years!"

Also Phil Spencer : "Most of our games come after 2022 btw"

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
If they started dev in 2015 and had the "10 year Halo platform" plan in place from the start on top of developing a brand new engine, they absolutely should have known right then that they should not be supporting Xbox One. Do they plan on only developing Halo content for the next 10 years that has to support XB1? Thats insanity given the CPU and SSD jump between gens.

Also Halo CE wasn't originally developed for Xbox, it was made for Macs

I've touched on this before, but when Microsoft says they have a 10 year platform in mind with Halo Infinite, it's not alluding to the game being Destiny esque. It's a soft reboot of the franchise, and instead of continuing on the story that's been ongoing for two decades, they've decided to soft reboot into a narrative splintered off from that - which they plan on continuing moving forward.

If those games don't come out till 2022 or later what the hell have some of their studios been doing ? They knew they had a console coming right ?

I think Microsoft and Sony are in completely different situations. I think Microsoft is ultimately a victim of their first party portfolio having been recently fleshed out.

1. 343 Industries
    1. Has been under Microsoft control since 2007. Their last game released in 2015, and there next game will be ready for the next generation later this year.
  2. Compulsion Games
    1. They were acquired by Microsoft in 2018, two years ago. Their last game released less than two years ago, and they're ultimately still supporting it. If they have a game in development, it's likely not very far along.
  3. Double Fine Productions
    1. They acquired the studio in 2019, and they were already actively in development with Psychonauts 2 which releases next year. They do typically have multiple games under development, and despite recent expansions, they're ultimately a pretty modestly sized studio. It wouldn't be surprising if we didn't see anything truly noteworthy from them until sometime in 2022-2023.
  4. inXile Games
    1. They were acquired in late 2018, and already had Wasteland 3 in development. Despite recent expansions, they're a pretty modest sized studio as well. It wouldn't be surprising if we didn't see anything from them until 2021-2022.
  5. Mojang Studios
    1. They've been under Microsoft control for a while now. They just released Minecraft Dungeons, but that game was pretty modest in scope - so we may see something new from them in the near future beyond post Dungeons support.
  6. Ninja Theory
    1. Microsoft acquired them in 2018, and with that - they already had games in development. One of those games being Bleeding Edge, which just released. Next is Hellblade 2, which is maybe 2-3 years into development - with the first year or so of that being very light development. It's feasible that they have something game play oriented to show regarding that game this year. They also have Project: Mara, which is also likely pretty early in development.
  7. Playground Games
    1. Microsoft acquired them in 2018, but that's ultimately meaningless, given that they were already intrinsically tied before tying the knot. Traditionally, they released a Forza Horizon game every two years since the first, with the last Forza Horizon being in 2018. So there's a chance that Forza Horizon 5 surprisingly drops this year, or at the very least, at some point within the console's first year of launching.
    2. They have a new studio now, that was starting to be formed in 2017, and still isn't fully formed. Obviously, some development has taken place, but this game is still likely a 2021-2022 title at best.
  8. Rare
    1. They've been under Microsoft's control for a long time now, so that's meaningless. They're a nice sized studio, and released Sea of Thieves in 2018. They're still actively developing that game, which includes both content and giving it the next generation treatment.
    2. They've also announced Everwild, which seems fairly early in development, so it's anyone's guess as to when that'll drop. I suppose there's a chance that they have another game in development, especially if its in lockstep with some type of support studio, but it wouldn't be surprising if this was the entire scope of their development for a while.
  9. The Coalition
    1. They're a really nice sized studio, and they released Gears 5 last year in 2019. Given the size of the studio, there's a chance that they have something close to unveiling, but it wouldn't be surprising if that weren't the case.
  10. The Initiative
    1. This studio was formed in 2018, and is still being fleshed out. The game they have in development is 2-3 years along, with a significant portion of that likely being light development given that it was probably a small nucleus of people. It might be ready to show off this year, or it could next year.
  11. Turn 10 Studios
    1. They've been under Microsoft since their inception nearly 20 years ago, and they typically release a new Forza every 2 years without fail. This is the first time where that hasn't been the case, with the last game being released in 2017. I'd imagine that the game is likely far enough along to have gameplay to show, and will likely release within the first year of the Series X's launch.
  12. Undead Labs
    1. They've been with Microsoft since 2018, but similar to Playground Games, they were basically a 1st party studio in all ways but name. They are a pretty small studio, but have expanded recently, and they dropped State of Decay 2 in 2018. Given that there was 5 years in between State of Decay 1 and 2, the size of the studio, and the fact that they announced the game with a CG trailer - I would assume that their next game is likely not dropping until around 2022.
  13. Obsidian Entertainment
    1. They've been with Microsoft since 2018, and they just released The Outer Worlds late 2019. They also already had Grounded in development before being acquired with Microsoft. They're a decent sized studio that has been expanded recently, but with that in mind, I would imagine that Avowed couldn't be any more than 2ish years in development. MAYBE more if Microsoft was already tasking them to make it before acquiring them, but regardless, I'd say that 2022 is likely the earliest we see anything from them outside of Outer World's post release content and Grounded.
This was a very long winded way of saying that based on Microsoft's acquisition history and the projects that those studios were already accountable for, with respect to Xbox's recent release history - it's not surprising that some things may be far off. Based off of the before mentioned analysis, I would say that the majority of Microsoft's impending games are going to be from their publishing arm or unknown acquisitions. I do think Microsoft's first party is in a very good place, but it's going to be a few years before we see the fruit of their labor when it comes to games developed purely under Microsoft's control and funding.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Then perhaps they should have. And if they didn't, they could have switched gears 2 or 3 years in. They simply didn't, and we end up with this result.
To be fair, I doubt MS can afford Halo releasing exclusively on a newly launched console. It would be a huge sacrifice financially and a bad look for their biggest IP. Halo 1 was the first game of an IP that no one knew before that point.

I think MS's approach with Halo infinite is the best they could do based on the fact that it's been 5 years since last Halo and the IP needing a large user base. What's unfortunate is that they don't have any other big title to showcase the power of the console. It does look like none of the titles that are well in development are targeting the Series X.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
But he wasn't scoring brownie points because people are complaining about the Xbox one holding back next generation (were you one of those ppl?). One complaint has been replaced with another.

He wanted to sell XGS games being cross gen for a couple of years as a point of differentiation when it really was "we don't have much XGS games in the first two years." He pushed a point that he knew he wouldn't have to back up in any meaningful way because he already knew the timelines of XGS games and how most would fall outside of that two year window.

That's not a complaint. That's me saying how about we don't take every single PR thing Phil says in the future without perhaps considering that its a cover for a defiency.

Sort of like how Jim Ryan will downplay BC because their BC isn't up to par.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I doubt MS can afford Halo releasing exclusively on a newly launched console. It would be a huge sacrifice financially and a bad look for their biggest IP. Halo 1 was the first game of an IP that no one knew before that point.

I think MS's approach with Halo infinite is the best they could do based on the fact that it's been 5 years since last Halo and the IP needing a large user base. What's unfortunate is that they don't have any other big title to showcase the power of the console. It does look like none of the titles that are well in development are targeting the Series X.

Well, clearly, it would be better for the game to release alongside the console. And I don't know why they couldn't afford to put it out on PC and Series X only when their whole strategy revolves around deemphasizing consoles anyway. And Halo 1 was exclusive to a brand new, unproven console.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Their promise was that the titles releasing soon would be cross gen, inherently so I would imagine, since they would have been in dev for both platforms already. I do think that there promise was a little hollow in the end, but it's fine. It's expected even... it's just not the cross gen support that some seemingly wanted. Ultimately if you want to play next gen games for any reasonable length of time, you're going to have to shell out on new hardware, I think the appeal for a lot of people was that they wouldn't have to.

It puts PC in an even stronger spot if anything. Since all of those games, even those that don't release on X1, will see a PC release. Everything they're doing seems like a big win for PC gamers.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Two things have become clear post-showcase:

- By "XGS games will be crossgen for the first couple year", they really meant "XGS doesn't have any games in the first couple years, except some yet-unreleased Xbox One games that are already announced." It's possible this could change, if MS has a Global Publishing game they haven't announced yet, but beyond that, it looks like ALL of their studios are accounted for with no games set to release in 2020 or 2021 outside of Psychonauts 2.

- Cross-gen absolutely holds back their games. Halo Infinite looks like it suffers a whole lot from being designed for Xbox One. And don't tell me it would have been impossible for Halo to target next-gen only because it's been in dev so long. Halo 1 was a launch title! Killzone Shadow Fall was clearly never a PS3 game either! It's quite possible, they just didn't do it.

It takes a lot of confidence in your audience's sympathy to spin a gap in your own software pipeline as a pro/anti consumer issue against your competitor.

A more candid approach earlier on might still have elicited disappointment but at least it wouldn't have set fire to his credibility. It's baffling why he would offer narratives with such a limited shelf life. And to store up the fallout until closer to launch to boot. He knew the penny had to drop eventually.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Well, clearly, it would be better for the game to release alongside the console. And I don't know why they couldn't afford to put it out on PC and Series X only when their whole strategy revolves around deemphasizing consoles anyway. And Halo 1 was exclusive to a brand new, unproven console.
No matter how much they are deemphasizing consoles right now it won't change the fact that releasing a new Halo title on a console with no install base and PC where Halo's presence has been rocky in the past, will severely limit sales. Especially when GamePass on PC is still on a cheap beta state.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
It takes a lot of confidence in your audience's sympathy to spin a gap in your own software pipeline as a pro/anti consumer issue against your competitor.

A more candid approach earlier on might still have elicited disappointment but at least it wouldn't have set fire to his credibility. It's baffling why he would offer narratives with such a limited shelf life. And to store up the fallout until closer to launch to boot. He knew the penny had to drop eventually.

My hopeful guess is that they either have some deals lined up with independent devs to pad out their first 12-24 months, but I honestly can't think of many candidates to work with them.

My more realistic guess is that they'll very aggressively pursue deals with publishers to bring games to Game Pass soon after their initial release, but that'll prove costly.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
No matter how much they are deemphasizing consoles right now it won't change the fact that releasing a new Halo title on a console with no install base and PC where Halo's presence has been rocky in the past will severely limit sales. Especially when GamePass on PC is still on a cheap beta state.

I would have to imagine a smarter move would have been to prioritize quality of the game, even if it limits their audience. More than likely, if the game turned out amazing, it would become such a must-buy that people would pick it up with the console even if they bought it 12 months later.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Maybe someone can correct me, but this was the list I got from an article

Presumably crossgen...

Halo infinte
The Gunk
PSO2
Tetris Effect (2020)
Crossfire X
Grounded
The Medium
Outerwilds DLC
Psyconauts 2
Tell Me Why
As Dusk Falls
Echogeneration
Exomecha
Balan Wonderland

Presumably XSX only...

Avowed
Fable
Warhammer Darktide (2021)
Stalker 2
State of decay 3

Unclear

Everwild
Forza Motorsport

Does that seem right? So aside from Darktide, I doubt any of the 5-6 others come in 2021, some of them honestly look like 23 titles.

Does make you wonder if they have games for 2021 though

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I would have to imagine a smarter move would have been to prioritize quality of the game, even if it limits their audience. More than likely, if the game turned out amazing, it would become such a must-buy that people would pick it up with the console even if they bought it 12 months later.
True but then you have the issue of IP relevance. Especially when there is a TV series in the works. Anyway, imagine if Series X didn't have Halo this holiday season...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
THIS RIGHT HERE. This is why certain acts of the Xbox brass annoys me. They feed into the competition when an Opportunity presents itself. Then when it's thrown back at them, they turn into the "Can't we all just get along" gamer.

i feel Phil's intentions are good, but he's as PR as they come. Like another post said, every year Xbox says this press conference is the best one yet! After saying it again and again it rings hollow. Now after 2 XSX press conferences, it's all smoke. They will say whatever in the moment cause it really doesn't hold any consequences. They're stuck in 3rd, they have nothing to lose.

Pretty much. Xbox really loves to lean into fanning fanboy flames when it's convenient for them to do so - beyond their marketing statements, they also LOVE partnering with extreme fanboys for podcasts and other community outreach projects - but they get super defensive whenever they're on the back foot or when people call them out for making false promises.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I meant relevance in regards to the time passed since the latest release.

Ah, well I'm not suggesting they should have delayed the game past 2020 / whatever's the tv show's release date, I'm just saying if Xbox One is the reason the game looks so visually poor, they should have cancelled that version a long time ago.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Killzone Shadow Fall was clearly never a PS3 game either! It's quite possible, they just didn't do it.
That's disingenuous, because Halo Infinite was in development for 5 years and Killzone Shadow Fall for 2 years. As I recall Halo Infinite development started before Series X, while PS4 was in mid development when production of Killzone started.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
That's disingenuous, because Halo Infinite was in development for 5 years and Killzone Shadow Fall for 2 years. As I recall Halo Infinite development started before Series X, while PS4 was in mid development when production of Killzone started.

Well sure, if we subscribe to the idea that design was locked in 5 years ago, it would have been hard for them to target next-gen specs... but they could have done that or developed the game on PC / alongside the new console over time. There's ways they could have done this, it's absolutely not impossible. Like I said, the original Halo did exactly that!

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

You dont... seriously believe that right? Guerilla has multiple teams. They were prototyping Horizon in 2011

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
My hopeful guess is that they either have some deals lined up with independent devs to pad out their first 12-24 months, but I honestly can't think of many candidates to work with them.

My more realistic guess is that they'll very aggressively pursue deals with publishers to bring games to Game Pass soon after their initial release, but that'll prove costly.
I expect them to sign a huge deal with a publisher like thq Nordic at some point where all their games launch day 1 on game pass

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm glad that a bunch of Xbox games announced are for Xbox Series X.

The big pro-consumer moves Microsoft is making are:

GamePass
Backwards Compatibility
xCloud / playing Xbox games on other devices
Lockhart / Series S, a console that will let you play all the next-gen Xbox games but won't cost nearly as much as a Series X or a PS5.

Xbox One needs to die ASAP. The faster Microsoft decouples Xbox One from Xbox Series X (aside from BC) the better IMO.

That said, Phil says some things that don't actually happen. Like Project Scorpio (Xbox One X) at E3 2016. They said Scorpio would support "High fidelity VR"
But in 2017 as Xbox One X was nearing, Phil backed away from VR publicly.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing I've learned about Xbox marketing over the past 15 years or so that the platform has existed, it's that it seems to have inherited the rather combative spirit Sega of America had in the '90s. Almost all of their marketing tends to be built around their competition: "our console is more powerful", "we don't do things the way THEY do", "we think [thing] is anti-consumer", etc. The identity of the Xbox platform always seems to exist as a counterpoint to Playstation in this weird next-generation "Genesis does what Nintendon't" kind of manner.

Phil Spencer in particular is a very smooth talker and he's very good at positioning those kinds of contrast-marketing talking points in a way that makes him sound reasonable and pleasant to an observer. He loves to tell people what they want to hear, and that's fine, that's PR's job, but the problem arises when your PR talking point is something YOU KNOW you'll be contradicting very shortly but you proceed down that path anyway.

And Phil has walked into a bunch of those bear traps this past year or so when he could've easily avoided them by just being a little bit more honest in the first place.

recent marketing just feels like papering over the cracks. Howdo you have a 7 year long generation and not be able to plan a couple exclusives for launch window to buy the new box? Worse than that it might be two years before you have exclusives ready. So instead you have to play distraction games which get holes poked in them as soon as they have to show things so why do it?

all this Phil turning the boat around - isn't having meaningful content for your platform kinda job one there?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, he's saying games that are actually on both consoles wont be held back by being on Xbox One. This is different than the games just not being cross gen at all which is what this topic is about. So he's saying games like Halo will meet the ambitions that the team had despite being on both platforms.

Do you genuinely believe that 343i is able to meet their ambitions for Halo Infinite with the much lower performance and especially the mechanical hard drive of the Xbox One when the XSX exists and will be out when their game comes out?

Ultimately 343i is limited in their vision for Halo Infinite because they have to account for the Xbox One. This isn't something that can be rebuffed I don't believe. If you compare Halo to something like Miles Morales or the new Ratchet and Clank, Insomniac will be able to do whatever they have the time, creativity, and skill to do. They aren't limited by the PS4. They have the freedom to make the game they want to make, within reason.

So respectfully, I don't agree with your assertions. It just sounds like reiterating PR speak.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion and just pure speculation, but I believe that Forza Horizon 5 will sub in for Forza Motorsport in 2021. Playground has two studios, one working on Fable, the other presumably on Forza Horizon 5.

motorsport seems more like 2022. No real footage other than a couple of small scenes rendered not in real-time so not necessarily indicative of what it'll look like. They repeated the same one corner over and over from different angles with only one car model with different lint jobs. It's super early. Even Dan Greenawalt said it was early. And xsx only so holiday 2022 earliest based in MS statements about cross gen

did playground used to piggyback on the T10 engine? So motorsport would go first then horizon built off that? If so horizon is even further out - but maybe they are more separated teams now? Bloody hope so - I don't want to wait until 2023 for Fh5

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
There was a handfull or more games shown that are also gonna be on xb1 . There was also a handful of games shown that are probably a year or two away that aren't gonna be on xb1 .

Not really anything to be upset about here imo .

As for timed exclusives ....sony is not going to stop doing it so why would MS?

Nobody likes it but it is what it is . Its gonna happen on all platforms so not sure why people are mad about that either .

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Well, you always got fanboys on a forum and those nitpick everything Spencer, Cerny, ... say in their inteviews. I think you can highlight the confusion these statements by Xbox caused, but I think some people are jumping to conclusions with Booty statement back then.
True, but i think nitpicking is different from this particular case. MS PR, with Spencer as the clear lead, had been quite vocal, using interviews, statements, social media, going beyond the usual PR that paint their product as better as possible. Has used the pro consumer flag, which as a side effect, i would say intentionally, makes others, well, less pro consumer. So it is not only making you product look the better you can, which is fair, but also generating the opposite side for the competition. How many threads have we had about this guy lately?
So in a forum that people make a big deal of really tiny things, i find it quite normal that he receives a bit of backlash.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
He wanted to sell XGS games being cross gen for a couple of years as a point of differentiation when it really was "we don't have much XGS games in the first two years." He pushed a point that he knew he wouldn't have to back up in any meaningful way because he already knew the timelines of XGS games and how most would fall outside of that two year window.

That's not a complaint. That's me saying how about we don't take every single PR thing Phil says in the future without perhaps considering that its a cover for a defiency.

Sort of like how Jim Ryan will downplay BC because their BC isn't up to par.

Wasn't the reponse on ResetEra from Xbox fans: "'Most of their games will be releasing after that transition period!''

The only two surprises in that regard are Forza Motorsport and Everwild. No Xbox fan was expecting cross-gen Avowed, Fable or Hellblade 2.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It's always a lose-lose with Xbox, huh?

"Cross-gen? HE'S HOLDING BACK PROGRESS!"

now

"Where's all the cross-gen?! Phil broke his promise!!"

And as always, now gaming "media" are picking up this narrative to spread the cynicism.

Or it shifted from, "cross gen will hold games back!" for many - and when I look at Halo Infinite it's like...yeah I see it - to, "wait you're supporting cross gen because you don't really have much for two years."

Can you actually not see how both complaints have validity and they aren't contradictory?

I know I'm on the precipice of console warring so I want to be careful, but I don't understand why there is this undercurrent of being willfully obtuse about the criticism some have with Microsoft's approach to next gen, their PR for it and how it's somewhat hypocritical, and how those two things are related.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is hilarious.

Matt Booty made his comments back in 2019 and people got wildly hyperbolic. "MS isnt making next gen games, oh no!" "Xbox one is going to hold back the generation"

Rational thinkers said "calm down, there will be cross gen to start with, but by the end of 2021 we'll get next gen exclusives." This really isnt some radical strategy.

Now it turns out the rational interpretation of Booty's words is somehow just as offensive as the hyperbolic interpretation.

Last edited:

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
motorsport seems more like 2022. No real footage other than a couple of small scenes rendered not in real-time so not necessarily indicative of what it'll look like. They repeated the same one corner over and over from different angles with only one car model with different lint jobs. It's super early. Even Dan Greenawalt said it was early. And xsx only so holiday 2022 earliest based in MS statements about cross gen

did playground used to piggyback on the T10 engine?
Both studios use ForzaTech, which is T10's game engine. Having said that, while it is T10's engine, Playground also contributes to it.

So motorsport would go first then horizon built off that? If so horizon is even further out - but maybe they are more separated teams now? Bloody hope so - I don't want to wait until 2023 for Fh5
Not necessarily. It's quite possible that Playground will use a modified FH4 engine for Forza Horizon 5. This is likely why Horizon 4. and not Motorsport 7, was given Series X support at launch. Playground will buy Turn 10 an extra year of development on Motorsport and ForzaTech 2.0 (or whatever iteration it's on now). Horizon 6 is when we will see the Forza Horizon series running on Turn 10's latest ForzaTech game engine.

So long and short of it:

2021:
Forza Horizon 5 (built on a tweaked Forza Horizon 4 game engine)

2022:
Forza Motorsport (built on an overhauled ForzaTech engine for Series X)

2023:
Forza Horizon 6 (based on the 2022 Motorsport engine)