• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I prefer

• Devil May Cry

Votes: 550 51.0%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 529 49.0%

• Total voters

malyse

Community Resetter
Pretty high profile games stemming from the same original source. Devil May Cry is the original but it's been more hit and miss. Bayonetta is more consistent but will almost certainly be lower fidelity graphically if not smaller scale altogether.

Which one will score higher on average?
If they released on the same day and you could only get one, which would you get?
Who would win if Dante and Bayonetta fought?

------

EDIT: I know we haven't really seen Bayonetta yet. This is more "which do you have higher expectations of" than "after detailed analysis of the two, which do you think will be the greater product". More feels, less thinks.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I'll just vote for "the game that will contribute most to their franchise " dmc5.
Bayonetta 1 and 2 are such a complete package. Can't see what they could focus on in 3 to add to it.
DMC on the other hand really needs a good campaign and that only is enough.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure DMCV will score higher and I don't have a Switch yet, so I'd get DMC if they were out at the same time. That being said, I'm still hyped for Bayonetta 3. I'm glad it's still going.

Bayonetta is stronger than Dante.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I think Bayonetta will score higher.

I will get DMC5 day 1, and I won't be getting Bayonetta 3 because I did not enjoy either of the first 2 games that I played on Switch earlier this year.

It's hard to tell who would win before we see either of their new arsenals.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Who will be directing Bayo 3?

Bayo 1 towers over any DMC game imo but I wasn't too hot about the second game.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Not really fair to compare these two...

But...

I prefer Bayonetta just a tad bit more than Dante. DMC has had way more games tho. Bayo only has 2 so far.

Bayo has Witch Time while Dante has Devil Trigger.

Bayo has hair transformations while Dante has an arsenal.

Bayo would prolly lose if she wasn't going 100 percent.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point im more interested in DMC V, but critically I think Bayo3 will do better because it will get a bump from being an exclusive title to the switch.

Both will do well I think though

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
We haven't seen much of Bayonetta 3...

I mean DMC5 looks godlike but I'm reserving judgement. Will end up playing both.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Found bayo 2 to be extremely forgettable. 3 needs to be way more ambitious to compete with dmc v

Score : bayo 3 probably. if 2 can get those scores for whatever it is, its a safe bet bayo 3 can too.
Same day release : DMC v for me .
Who would win= i dunno.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Kamiya won't be directing Bayonetta 3 right? IIRC he said he was working on a new project but I'm not 100% sure.

If that's the case then Devil May Cry 5, even if I'm not entirely confident in Itsuno when you consider the game as a whole.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
We haven't even seen a single second of Bayonetta 3 gameplay yet.

That being said, Bayo 1 is my favourite game of all time so I'd be kinda biased to vote for it.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Has a DMC game broke 90? Bayonetta 2 has a 92 on Metacritic and would have won game of the year if it wasn't for the Wii U. Dragon Age Inquisition won it that year, a good game but over rated for it's day.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Which one will score higher on average?
Looking at Metacritic, Bayo.
If they released on the same day and you could only get one, which would you get?
Bayo I guess. Capcom games drop quickly in price.
Who would win if Dante and Bayonetta fought?
They would fight then become friends, no winner. If you mean abilities, Bayo is stronger.

edit: oh and DMC will have better sales obviously. I don't think Bayo being on weaker hardware means that "scale" will be lower. If you've played the previous games or W101, you know that hardware power is not an issue there...

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I don't care about "scores" but I'm anticipating Bayo3 more.

It would be an extremely welcome surprise if they could improve the awful story of Bayo2 and also actually utilize some decent antialiasing.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about Bayo 3 is that you can't really expect it to push boundaries due to the hardware it's exclusive to.

DMC5 is going all out, and how.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I'm sure DMCV will score higher and I don't have a Switch yet, so I'd get DMC if they were out at the same time. That being said, I'm still hyped for Bayonetta 3. I'm glad it's still going.

Bayonetta is stronger than Dante.

Why do you think it will score higher. We haven't seen anything aside from a CG trailer from Bayo 3. On MC Devil May Cry 1 has a 94 but every other game in the franchise is 85 or lower.

Either way, both games will be bought Day 1!

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Loved all the DMC games, but I'm more looking forward to a new Bayonetta. I think it'll score higher too, but you never know.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The thing about Bayo 3 is that you can't really expect it to push boundaries due to the hardware it's exclusive to.

You mean like BotW? This is a nonsense opinion, you you don't need top of the line hardware to push gameplay boundaries. it can help a lot in certain manners but it's far from the hard cap your implying.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I never played a DMC game so DMCV will be my first. Kinda excited about it but the character Nero looks.....slow and not fast as Bayonetta. ....

I didn't really like Bayonetta 1, I loved 2 though but playing back to back I kinda feel like they should go a complete new direction for bayonetta 3 so I'm curious to see where they're gonna take it..
( Gimme open world Bayonetta 3 pls, just take the scalebound assets and put bayonetta in there instead Platinum !!!)

Anyway Bayonetta would beat Dante, I'd get both. DMCV might be better metacritic I feel like

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm very curious what Bayonetta 3 does. It's been ages since the last DMC so there's a lot of room in what it can do. While Bayo 3 could either go the route of 2 where it just improves on what was there last while not offering a big change or goes all out in trying something new again for the genre.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Historically, Bayo games both score higher and are more enjoyable to me than DMC.

Neither franchise have a game that surpasses Ninja Gaiden Black tho.

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
After my personal disappointment that was Bayonetta2, I have a lot of hype for the return of the king and very little hopes for B3 if they follow that direction.
Still I think B3 will score higher because seeing the reviews of the second, and that it's a Nintendo exclusive and the other a multiplatform.
A fight between the two? That's a funny concept.
But it's clear: all of Bayonetta's special powers and weapons come of summoning demons to help her, and what's Dante's job? Killing demons.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I typically prefer Bayonetta, but I imagine they're both going to be fantastic games that will make for a great year of character action games. I hope they find a good way to have some of the accessibility features from Bayonetta 2 with the perfect combat from Bayonetta 1.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Both Bayo 1&2 were incredible experience. I was surprised to see how gorgeous Bayo 2 was. It had some slowdown in places. But it was like watching running water over glass.

On the other hand, the last DMC was largely forgettable to me.

I believe Bayonetta 3 will be a much more memorable experience than DMC.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno how anyone can have an opinion about Bayonetta 3 at all, if everything we know so far is that it exists.

As for my very on opinion on DMC V, after i already didn't like it's art style, don't like Nero and don't like the new female char, and after playing the Gamescom demo, i'm not sure if i'll get it at all.

Same applies for Bayo 3, the not getting thing, until i know more to be able to get an opinion about the game.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
My vote goes to DMC5

What we saw in Gamescom is amazing and we yet to see two other protagonists (Dante + V) so I'm confident

Itsuno and his team did an incredible job

On the other hand

I have enormous faith in PG but Bayonetta is a game that requires technical power to achieve its potential of "Climax Action" ... something Switch can't provide. It'll be great I'm sure.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Man I dunno. I clicked DMC before reading the OP properly but the critics loved Bayo 2 and called it one of the best games of last gen, but I thought it was such a step down from 1.

There's a different metric at play for a lot of character action stuff when it comes to critic reviews. It's got a lot to do with how well these games present themselves on an initial playthrough

On the other than DMCV has a hell of a lot more promise in terms of doing some different shit even if it's all just tech stuff that the Switch probably can't do. Like dynamically destructing environments during boss fights, making all that Bayo style spectacle actually properly integrate into the heat of combat. So it could have something for everyone there.

I never played a DMC game so DMCV will be my first. Kinda excited about it but the character Nero looks.....slow and not fast as Bayonetta. ....

He looks slower cause he is, but I think also he's got more things to do than Bayo. Bayo is about DPS-ing wicked weaves with few interruptions, the actual individual attacks you do don't matter as much. Nero is much slower, but you pick and choose your own attacks for each combo and everything is much more authored by the player.

But if speed is ever an issue the Turbo mode in these games bring them right up to Bayonetta's speed. And Dante will be even faster still

ASk me that question when I see even a plib of footage from Bayo 3 lol.

Graphics isn't everything you know.
Not just graphics, there are things happening in the environment in DMCV that the Switch can't do.

Also DMC4 had a difficulty mode for spawning around 100 enemies on screen, if DMCV has that then that's another thing

edit: better example of crazy enemy count https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQF4IC6EAbA

Last edited:

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Bayo for now. DMC5 footage was a tad underwhelming for me particularly in terms of spectacle from gamescom though that's probably because it's early game stuff.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even sure why some are discussing sales. It will literally be impossible for Bayonetta 3 to outsell DMC V. Not only is DMC on three platforms versus one, it's a more popular series in general.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

Which boundaries is it pushing? DMCV looks great, but levels and gameplay are still the same as the rest of the genre so far from what we've seen.