• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I prefer

• Devil May Cry

Votes: 550 51.0%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 529 49.0%

• Total voters

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
YwM6nFl.gif

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Hard to say without really knowing anything about Bayonetta 3 but if the previous games are anything to go by, Bayonetta 3 will easily take this.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Not a big fan of Devil May Cry but I loved 1 and 3 so that one.

I can't stand Bayonetta's aesthetics, played the first one for a while and was big nope (not a fan of Devil May Cry tone either but it's at the edge of my boundaries I suppose).

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As a big DMC fan, I've just never been able to get into Bayonetta. I like the graphics, camera, and set-pieces, but something about it just doesn't work for me. I bought it for 360, PS3, and Steam. It's exceedingly weird, because I'm not sure exactly what's turning me off - and that's rare!

Maybe the fun costumes will get me into the Switch version.

Akiller

Oct 25, 2017
I would have waited for Bayo 3 gameplays before opening such a thread. Let alone saying Bayonetta will be better with just a teaser trailer shown.

And I love both series very much.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
huh? what mode are you talking about?

the dmc 4 build running the new mode was completely different from the original release and ran way worse on 2006 toasters.
Original DMC4 had LDK mode on PC as well, tho if he really ran it on a 2006 toaster that's kind of insane.

Like if it was 60 frames anyway, anything less isn't really playing DMC4.

Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta typically reviews better but personally the combat in DMC resonates with me more. I pretty much know that I'll enjoy DMC5 more.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
Weird results. DMC is the king, Bayonetta as fantastic as it is isn't as good as the best DMC games. Bayonetta 2 was a step down. DMC5 looks like the best action hack and slash game ever made. This is an easy one, it's DMC5.

At a guess I'd say it's turning out like this because Bayonetta is more consistent, accessible, and contemporary. Only two games, but both of them are really good, an enormously appealing (and eponymous) character, far more accessible gameplay and a Smash inclusion makes the series an easy one to like.

DMC on the other hand is all over the place in terms of genre, quality, protagonists, and re-imaginings, in addition to being a brutal experience for casual players. And the last 'true' DMC game by Capcom itself was ten years ago.

We should probably have this vote again after DMCV and B3 are in our hands, but if gamers react more positively to PlatinumGames' series than Capcom's in 2018, I can see quite a few reasons for doing so.

edit: I see the poll has evened out a lot more since I made this post, lol

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Weird results. DMC is the king, Bayonetta as fantastic as it is isn't as good as the best DMC games. Bayonetta 2 was a step down. DMC5 looks like the best action hack and slash game ever made. This is an easy one, it's DMC5.
I mean, the questions were review scores, personally buy first, and lore fight. For two of those, there's no real argument for DMC.
Of course in terms of sales and graphics DMCV will easily beat Bayo.
The poll is personal preferences and 50/50. Which would probably be the same if you added Ninja Gaiden to the poll, nothing wrong with that.
Well the last gen versions of DMC4 did not have Turbo Mode or LDK mode (PC only), so yeah it's definitely up for debate if the Switch could do that stuff.
And you could run it on a PC with the specs of the Switch. The issue was how limited in terms of RAM and other features the last gen was, whereas the Switch doesn't have those issues.

edit:
huh? what mode are you talking about?

the dmc 4 build running the new mode was completely different from the original release and ran way worse on 2006 toasters.
Legendary Dark Knight and Turbo were both on the original DMC4 PC version, not sure what you're talking about...
edit 2:
video from 7 years ago

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Not just graphics, there are things happening in the environment in DMCV that the Switch can't do.

Non-sense.

The Wonderful 101 was on the Wii U with over a 100 AI agents on screen and deformable terrain. Modern hardware is way beyond that kind of limitation now, even on Switch.

I mean, the questions were review scores, personally buy first, and lore fight. For two of those, there's no real argument for DMC.
Of course in terms of sales and graphics DMCV will easily beat Bayo.
The poll is personal preferences and 50/50. Which would probably be the same if you added Ninja Gaiden to the poll, nothing wrong with that.

And you could run it on a PC with the specs of the Switch. The issue was how limited in terms of RAM and other features the last gen was, whereas the Switch doesn't have those issues.

edit:

Legendary Dark Knight and Turbo were both on the original DMC4 PC version, not sure what you're talking about...
edit 2:
video from 7 years ago

I need proof of the 100 demon mode running well on a CPU comparable to the switch.

This would imply the Switch couldn't handle DMC4.

It's ridiculous, and at this point, I just block all of these lowballing, deliberately obtuse, thread-turding trolls. People on here love to grossly overstate the differences between the Switch and PSBox, when the reality is that there isn't a single non-exclusive title on those platforms, existing or forthcoming, that isn't possible on the Switch in some capacity. I mean, imagine talking about "things going on in the environment that the Switch can't handle", when you have even more things happening in the vast open world of LOZ: Breath Of The Wild (which, by the way, is a Wii U title at heart, and doesn't even scratch the surface of what the Switch is capable of). Imagine citing Devil May Cry 4, a 2007 title, when Bayonetta 1 & 2 are things on Nintendo platforms, or "lots of on-screen enemies", as if "Warriors" titles don't exist on the Wii U and Switch.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I personally prefer Bayonetta 3, but I think DMC V will be better and will obviously sell three times as much

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I will get both and probably love both, I have a feeling Bayonetta 3 will be superior. There are 3 things about dmc5 that has me worried, 1 is that they are completely reussing Nero's sword moves from dmc4 (and I am not too fond of that decision) and so far it looks like he wont have another weapon (since R2 does nothing, which could have been a weapon switch button) and they are focusing mlre on the whole robot arms thing.

Another thing is Nero's face, specially his "jaw/chin", looks ways off to me, he didnt have the face like that in dmc4.

And the final worry is about enemies' AI, I know we have only seen a demo and the enemies AI is hopefully like this on purpose or maybe these enemies are supposed to be like this at the beginning to show you the ropes and let you style on them, but so far I see the enemies are like past dmc games, in the sense that they are just standing there looking at you ready to be comboed while not being really aggressive.

Hopefully those 3 concerns get addressed, (I dont have much hope for Nero's face, but maybe they add a classic dmc4 costume that includes that game's model). So lets wait and see.

With that said, we havent seen Bayonetta 3 and probably wont see it for a while, but platinum games has been on point with that franchise (and action oriented games in general, look at Nier Automata) and now that they are being "baby sitted" by nintendo, that might help with budget, help with optimizing the game for switch and whatnot, we just have to wait and see.

And in all, doesnt matter how we look at it, we are in for one hell of a ride! 2 games of franchises considered the holy trinity of action games are coming!, here is hoping Ninja Gaiden makes a come back, make it happen sony/microsoft/nintendo!

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
's ridiculous, and at this point, I just block all of these lowballing, deliberately obtuse, thread-turding trolls. People on here love to grossly overstate the differences between the Switch and PSBox, when the reality is that there isn't a single non-exclusive title on those platforms, existing or forthcoming, that isn't possible on the Switch in some capaci

i mean the ffxv guy literally said they tried and couldnt get it to work up to their satisfaction.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Structurally, DMC5 seems to follow the same classic design of arena fight -> destroy all enemies -> gate open -> repeat. If Bayonetta 3 can be a little more ambitious than that, it could have the edge.
Even if Bayonetta 3 is very similar to Bayonetta 2, I found Bayonetta's combat system just more fluid, fun and responsive in general. Witchtime is just too satisfying to pull off.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta for me, but that's because I haven't played any DMC game yet.

I was temped to get the HD Trilogy, but considering all the horrible feedback the second game has, I feel lazy to buy a pack with a game I already know I should never play, or better to think it never happened.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I need proof of the 100 demon mode running well on a CPU comparable to the switch.
you wouldn't because there's exact equivalent in terms of CPU, just like the CPUs on PS4/X1 are pretty weak compared to any PC CPU nowadays.
But here's a banchmark on a pretty weak PC running at 80fps:

Or hell, something even older, 8 years ago:

edit: those benchmarks use the LDK difficulty btw.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I love both for different reasons. It depends on how I'm feeling that day.

Bayonetta 1, to me, is borderline perfect. Bayonetta 2 was an improvement in some ways but a step down in others. If Bayonetta 3 can learn the right lessons from both games, I think it can end up becoming the ultimate action game.

DMC5 looks nuts, but DMC4 was extremely scattershot and thinly spread despite it's fantastic combat mechanics. The fact that DMC5 has three playable characters has me worried; if one of them are below par in some way, it's going to reflect poorly on the game.

I trust Bayonetta 3 will be the consistently better game, but DMC5 has the biggest potential to surprise.

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring DMC2 I would argue that Bayonetta as a series hasn't been any more consistent than DMC. Bayo 2 is pretty mediocre even though it probably has the greatest initial playthrough campaign in the genre. DMC4 is the exact opposite with an awful campaign but probably the greatest combat in the genre. DMC 1 and 3 are pure masterpieces, but Bayonetta 1 is IMO the best full package out there. I'll have to call it a complete draw for now in terms of game quality since all the ups and downs kind of cancel each other out for me. Assuming Kamiya is back on Bayo 3 and DMC5 ends up as good as it currently seems I don't think either of these releases will change my stance either…

In terms of reviews Bayo will obviously take it home every day of the week – those games are made for 10/10 relatively shallow reviews (no offense, just in terms of time and depth most reviewers give to these games which is perfectly understandable) while DMC is tends to be slightly rougher around the edges and thus reviews a bit lower historically. The opposite probably goes for sales. Sexy anime coolguy is seemingly easier to market than threatening British dominatrix satan lady ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the gameplay of both Bayonettas to any of the DMC games. They're just more fun and enjoyable to play. But I prefer the themes and aesthetics of the DMC series, particularly the first game and much of the third.

I have no idea which will be better, DMC5 or Bayo 3, because we've seen much more of one than the other. I just hope they're both great.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure the last time this thread was made it got locked...anyway I've always preferred Devil May Cry personally. And it's hard to imagine Bayonetta beating Dante in a fight.

No way to really tell how good Bayonetta 3 will be though. We know nothing of the game.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
DMCV. I like the Bayonetta games, but I just prefer DMC in general - less QTE, less bullshit, better stories (or not as bad I guess). I'm also not a fan of Bayonetta's dial-a-combo system. I prefer DMC's system where you make combos from a set of existing special moves. DMCV having great graphics is also a nice plus.

Then there's also the fact Bayonetta 2's damage system is a pretty big step down from the first game (I remember someone creating a thread about it here - but basically the gist of it was that normal moves do shit-all damage and enemies dodge too much, so you're incentivised, especially on higher difficulties, to rely too much on Umbran Climax), but hopefully they fix that in 3.

If I ever get a Switch I'll definitely get Bayonetta 3 (hell, I bought a Wii U just for PlatinumGames' games), but I don't play enough games to justify spending 500 bucks on one right now either.

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It's ridiculous, and at this point, I just block all of these lowballing, deliberately obtuse, thread-turding trolls. People on here love to grossly overstate the differences between the Switch and PSBox, when the reality is that there isn't a single non-exclusive title on those platforms, existing or forthcoming, that isn't possible on the Switch in some capacity. I mean, imagine talking about "things going on in the environment that the Switch can't handle", when you have even more things happening in the vast open world of LOZ: Breath Of The Wild (which, by the way, is a Wii U title at heart, and doesn't even scratch the surface of what the Switch is capable of). Imagine citing Devil May Cry 4, a 2007 title, when Bayonetta 1 & 2 are things on Nintendo platforms, or "lots of on-screen enemies", as if "Warriors" titles don't exist on the Wii U and Switch.
Wow guy, that's quite a response to some people not understanding how a Switch could run something.

If you aren't blocking me I'm all ready to have explained to me where I'm wrong and I mean that in the least snide way possible. I'll eat the most crows but all I know is I played Bayo 1 and 2 back to back just recently and neither game holds 60fps with all the effects in those games, so I'm not able to see how the destructive environments and things in V could also be managed.

My reason for thinking it wasn't possible is cause that 2007 title didn't even manage to get the mode running on the consoles of the day, only PC. So I had expected that there was a power gap there between DMC4 PC/SE and the OG release which the Switch maybe isn't capable of managing.

If it is then fine and I'll happily eat crow pie but I don't get the whole attitude of being like 'fuk those trolls, they really are just trying to shit up these threads' cause that ain't my fucking intention at all. We're just trying to talk about games here dude

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Pretty sure the last time this thread was made it got locked...anyway I've always preferred Devil May Cry personally. And it's hard to imagine Bayonetta beating Dante in a fight.

No way to really tell how good Bayonetta 3 will be though. We know nothing of the game.

Yeah I remember that.

It was one of the first locked threads on ResetEra.

Really wish we could know anything about Bayonetta 3. Like, who the fuck is even directing that game?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
For those that don't remember that LKD and Turbo were in the old PC version of DMC4...
https://store.steampowered.com/app/45700/Devil_May_Cry_4/
Exclusive PC Features
  • Turbo mode will turn-up the action to insane speeds
  • "Legendary Dark Knight Mode" will harness advanced PC processing power and fill the screen with an unbelievable number of enemies for extra difficulty
My reason for thinking it wasn't possible is cause that 2007 title didn't even manage to get the mode running on the consoles of the day, only PC. So I had expected that there was a power gap there between DMC4 PC/SE and the OG release which the Switch maybe isn't capable of managing.

If it is then fine and I'll happily eat crow pie but I don't get the whole attitude of being like 'fuk those trolls, they really are just trying to shit up these threads' cause that ain't my fucking intention at all. We're just trying to talk about games here dude
Feel free to check that:
you wouldn't because there's exact equivalent in terms of CPU, just like the CPUs on PS4/X1 are pretty weak compared to any PC CPU nowadays.
But here's a banchmark on a pretty weak PC running at 80fps:

Or hell, something even older, 8 years ago:

edit: those benchmarks use the LDK difficulty btw.

MT Framework was a really good and scalable engine, and again, the issue with the old consoles was a lack of RAM and other weaknesses/missing features that the Switch doesn't have.
The PS4 and X1 are not breaking a sweat with DMC4SE, it's not some magic remaster compared to the old PC version.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Both are great series in an underpopulated genre, both do things differently enough to set them apart soooo I don't want to chose.

And we haven't seen shit from B3 yet, after B2 I'm expecting them to "course correct" (not that B2 was a bad game) the series so hopefully it'll be great.

And I'm hyped as hell for DMC5.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
We haven't seen Bayo 3 yet. But if it's as good as previous games, it'll be close, but I have to side with DMC5 on this one. Though make no mistake, I'm buying both. Here are my more detailed answers...
  1. DMC5
  2. DMC5
  3. Dante (Death Battle already proved it)