Status
Not open for further replies.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
why would a dev do that though? why would they optimize or design their game around an SSD? There are also two other platforms, PC and Xbox. Don't think the SSD will provide any meaningful difference between those for multiplatform games, the XSX SSD is very fast after all. Maybe shorter loading times, that's it.
Because the majority of sales will come from playstation?.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
And here i have to say i much more prefer MS plug & play, Vita memory card style proprietary approach. You know what expansion card/SSD you are buying, you plug it in expansion slot and it works.

Sony solution sounds more "consumer friendly" on paper cause it's not proprietary but consumers will have to look for what exactly? "PS5 certified" SSD expansion modules? Open console on the back in order to plug it in like with HDD now? That will be confusing for a bunch of non tech-savvy people who might buy wrong SSD and then wonder why it doesn't fit in/works etc.

This might pay off for Sony in a very, very long term when prices go down but i wish they did the same as MS and went with proprietary SSD solution and not this.
Think you are making more out of nothing. I expect we would start seeing a lot of SSDs with a bold "PS5 compatible" sticker on it or something to that effect, and it's not the hardest thing to type PS5 SSD on amazon and get a list of compatible drives. I even expect to see sony endorsed official 3rd SSDs hit the market. There would be many of them, and like all cases like that would result in competition an price drops.

Off the shelf hardware is always better than proprietary hardware in my book. I haven't got an issue, either way, being that I would probably never be buying an SSD for the console anyways. Waste of money to me, I would sooner get a 2TB/4TB external USB drive and just do some house management every couple of months or so. Especially being that my PS4 games would also be on there.

And that open console at the back thingy is an exaggeration.. sony has been supporting user-upgradable hard drives for 2 generations now. Hasn't been a problem yet, don't know why it suddenly would. I am sure there would be a simple cover at the bottom of the console somewhere that you just open and have direct access to the SSD slot.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
why would a dev do that though? why would they optimize or design their game around an SSD? There are also two other platforms, PC and Xbox. Don't think the SSD will provide any meaningful difference between those for multiplatform games, the XSX SSD is very fast after all. Maybe shorter loading times, that's it.
Has it occurred to some that there are things the SSD would offer the devs that just makes building on the PS5 easier? Which means they have more time to focus on other things? That doing so wouldn't necessarily be about "optimizing" fr the PS5 but rather just using the natural advantages the machinery have?

Kinda like the rez difference likely to be present between the XSX and PS5. Devs don't have to "optimize" for the XSX to see a higher fps/framerate/RT. Those are just natural benefits of having more GPU compute.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I've been saying. Say it with me: I/O PIPELINE

Having an advantage here will make all the difference this gen.

I like that NVidia mantra that Sony has essentially adopted:

"Accelerator Design is Guided by Energy Cost:
-Arithmetic is Free
-Memory is Expensive
-Communication is Prohibitively Expensive"
Looking at that Custom I/O slide again, is it saying some things can be done before it hits the ram? I just realized that was a one way arrow, lol.
vnt68ul.jpg

I do agree with the dude in that clip about form factor. We havent seen it yet. That could explain some things.

And here i have to say i much more prefer MS plug & play, Vita memory card style proprietary approach. You know what expansion card/SSD you are buying, you plug it in expansion slot and it works.

Sony solution sounds more "consumer friendly" on paper cause it's not proprietary but consumers will have to look for what exactly? "PS5 certified" SSD expansion modules? Open console on the back in order to plug it in like with HDD now? That will be confusing for a bunch of non tech-savvy people who might buy wrong SSD and then wonder why it doesn't fit in/works etc.

This might pay off for Sony in a very, very long term when prices go down but i wish they did the same as MS and went with proprietary SSD solution and not this.
It wont be too much different than how it was on PS3 and PS4. The custom I/O, SSD thing is different tho.

MS basically did the propriety thing with the 360 hard drive, so both companies have precedence.

Think you are making more out of nothing. I expect we would start seeing a lot of SSDs with a bold "PS5 compatible" sticker on it or something to that effect, and it's not the hardest thing to type PS5 SSD on amazon and get a list of compatible drives. I even expect to see sony endorsed official 3rd SSDs hit the market. There would be many of them, and like all cases like that would result in competition an price drops.

Off the shelf hardware is always better than proprietary hardware in my book. I haven't got an issue, either way, being that I would probably never be buying an SSD for the console anyways. Waste of money to me, I would sooner get a 2TB/4TB external USB drive and just do some house management every couple of months or so. Especially being that my PS4 games would also be on there.

And that open console at the back thingy is an exaggeration.. sony has been supporting user-upgradable hard drives for 2 generations now. Hasn't been a problem yet, don't know why it suddenly would. I am sure there would be a simple cover at the bottom of the console somewhere that you just open and have direct access to the SSD slot.
I agree. Both approaches have their pros n cons but I have always preferred Sony's way for home consoles. They drooped the ball massively with the Vita tho. It should have used standard storage from day one.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I agree that both machine are close in terms of power. But point 4, i think, it's bullshit.
It's more than twice as fast, on a key component. If this were any other metric twice as fast people would be losing their minds, it seems to be down to the fact that nobody really understands yet what this level of speed will mean. The speed is so fast it basically brings down a massive barrier. XSX is fast as well but that 125% difference or whatever it is will make a difference. How can it not should be the question people are asking.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's more than twice as fast, on a key component. If this were any other metric twice as fast people would be losing their minds, it seems to be down to the fact that nobody really understands yet what this level of speed will mean. The speed is so fast it basically brings down a massive barrier. XSX is fast as well but that 125% difference or whatever it is will make a difference. How can it not should be the question people are asking.

Can I ask on what that will translate? Truth is that nobody knows, it can be something great it can be nothing. There will be other bottlenecks in place, otherwise why upgrade the rest when we can only increase ssd speeds?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I've said this before, but if the PS5 really is $399, I would hugely appreciate a $499 SKU with 1650GB and an extra DS5. That would be really nice.
Same here, but I'm hoping for a 1.65TB SKU even if the 0.83TB SKU is 499$. I'm willing to pay for comfort.

I also like MS's solution in 2020, but Sony's solution will probably be more attractive in 2024. A 1TB 7GB/s SSD is probably going to cost at least 250$ when the PS5 launches so MS's solution will probably be cheaper at launch. But as time goes by, PS5's open format will probably become more attractive.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Sign me up. They can even keep the extra DS5. Jut give me the option of double the storage at $499, It would actually a good way for them to make up some the money on the loss they would no doubt be taking selling at $399.

Don't give them bad ideas, I want my second controller!

Honestly I would probably get it either way too, but it would be a bit of a rort - there's no way doubling the capacity costs them any more than maybe $30-40. Then if a DS5 costs maybe $25-30 at the very high end (I've heard DS4s cost about $15 to make), that's still $30-40 more profit (or a $30-40 smaller loss?) on that SKU. Though some of that might have to make up for the extra costs that come with having 2 SKUs instead of one.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Same here, but I'm hoping for a 1.65TF SKU even if the 0.83TF SKU is 499$. I'm willing to pay for comfort.

I also like MS's solution in 2020, but Sony's solution will probably be more attractive in 2024. A 1TB 7GB/s SSD is probably going to cost at least 250$ when the PS5 launches so MS's solution will probably be cheaper at launch. But as time goes by, PS5's open format will probably become more attractive.
I think Sony simply can not afford to depend on 3rd parties for making those "PS5 certified" expansion SSDs and they'll have to make and sell their own expansion drives, probably in 2021 already. I have a feeling huge majority of mass market consumers will prefer to buy Sony made modules just to be safe! ( i'd do that for sure )

Pricing in that case will be very interesting.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Same here, but I'm hoping for a 1.65TF SKU even if the 0.83TF SKU is 499$. I'm willing to pay for comfort.

Yeah, that's valid. I'd likely be the same way.

I'm actually really interested to see the prices on those things - the history of proprietary storage from both Xbox AND PlayStation does not fill me with confidence.

le-seb

Oct 31, 2017
Oh man, those few last pages... IEC am cry.
It's about time people and businesses start using the proper naming conventions when talking about IT stuff.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Imagine a streaming system for a next-gen PS5 exclusive title be something akin to this pertaining to density of detail and pace:

"Is-such-a-thing-even-possible.gif"...

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019

It will certainly be interesting to see Sony's first party games to see what they can do with that insane SSD.

Horizon 2 will give a good indication I would imagine - open world games will get the biggest bump due to IO.

There are also rumours of GTAVI was well which are exciting.

It would be interesting if PS5 games are 1800p with temporal reconstruction to 4K while XSX games are native 4K but XSX games have worse pop in and texture streaming. What do you deem more important?

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
A bit different to all the spec talk, but I really want PS5 to have bluetooth!

Like I got the Gold headset, but I think my Sony wh-1000xm3 are much better. But I got to plug them in my controller. Would be great to have BT on PS5.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Can I ask on what that will translate? Truth is that nobody knows, it can be something great it can be nothing. There will be other bottlenecks in place, otherwise why upgrade the rest when we can only increase ssd speeds?
I think it should be enlightening when you see Cerny literally giving the example of the SSD being so fast you don't need to keep your full scene in RAM, you can literally stream data in based on the camera view and keep assets that are behind you for instance out of RAM. This could mean you use much higher assets because more of your RAM is actually being used directly for what is in view and not as a reserve for what isn't.

Now many games might not be suited to this design approach but that speed can still translate into higher detailed assets at all times in open world games. Maybe a mix between the two whereby your immediate surroundings have higher assets and stuff further out on the horizon in your field of view get higher assets too, with what's behind kept at a lower rate or not at all, and distant stuff streams in as you need it because you can.

Going at half the speed could basically break this impact and massively reduce what you can do. This speed is at such a threshold that new possibilities truly open up. If the TF count was double on one system there would be no doubt about the quantifiable difference that would make.

Developer gossip seems to bare this out, PS5 is doing something truly new and not really seen before and hey, even if it only gets fully utilised to the max by first party devs, are we for some reason not going to be excited to see what some of the best developers in the world can do when they unleash their talents on this and give us games that are silly not possible right now??? Games like GTAV on PS360 gen wouldn't have been possible without HDDs versus streaming slowly straight off disc. This SSD jump is so huge it's a leap I don't think we've ever seen before, of course it's going to impact game design and what's possible massively.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
And next gen games with 4K assets are just gonna get bigger...Sony will have to offer soon SKU with bigger SSD, probably in 2021 already?

Their storage/expansion solution ,together with anemic bandwidth are for me 2 disappointments from PS5 tech presentation.

They might actually get smaller for a little while at least.
A big thing they were talking about is how on current gen consoles, they required a lot of redundancy.

Not to mention both companies went to great lengths to have dedicated compression systems.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Don't give them bad ideas, I want my second controller!

Honestly I would probably get it either way too, but it would be a bit of a rort - there's no way doubling the capacity costs them any more than maybe $30-40. Then if a DS5 costs maybe $25-30 at the very high end (I've heard DS4s cost about $15 to make), that's still $30-40 more profit (or a $30-40 smaller loss?) on that SKU. Though some of that might have to make up for the extra costs that come with having 2 SKUs instead of one.
Lol...

No way they add the ds5 to it, just defeats the whole purpose and put them in an even bigger hole. Even with a higher capacity SKU, they still would be losing money on that specific SKU, just less.

Say PS5 825GB has a BOM of $450 and an MSRP of $399. They would be losing like $70/console (adding $20 for retailer cut and/or other associated costs).

Now say the 1.65TB version has a BOM of $490, and sony sells that so for $499. They still are losing like $10/unit.

In cases like that? what sony would probably do is skew manufacturing towards the higher capacity SKU for like the first 3 months after launch, in the period when the buyers picking it up are the least price-sensitive of the bunch and when you are still supply constrained. They still get to market it starting at $399, when in truth they are making 5 $499 units for every $399 unit shipped.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
It's more logical in this situation and, ironically, i think much more average consumer friendly who just has to buy Xbox memory card and plug it in like USB flash drive.

It's proprietary so probably won't be cheap, yeah, but i am very skeptical those "PS5 certified" expansion SSDs will be any cheaper for years to come...

They will be very expensive because you need 7GB/s SSD because of NVME standard only have two queues it is less efficient than the 5.5GB/s SSd insue. :( 1 TB will be at least 300/400 dollars Euros this fall.

c0c0suma

Banned
Jan 20, 2018
Lol...

No way they add the ds5 to it, just defeats the whole purpose and put them in an even bigger hole. Even with a higher capacity SKU, they still would be losing money on that specific SKU, just less.

Say PS5 825GB has a BOM of $450 and an MSRP of $399. They would be losing like $70/console (adding $20 for retailer cut and/or other associated costs).

Now say the 1.65TB version has a BOM of $490, and sony sells that so for $499. They still are losing like $10/unit.

In cases like that? what sony would probably do is skew manufacturing towards the higher capacity SKU for like the first 3 months after launch, in the period when the buyers picking it up are the least price-sensitive of the bunch and when you are still supply constrained. They still get to market it starting at $399, when in truth they are making 5 $499 units for every $399 unit shipped.
Retailer cut is much higher than 20bucks.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

3 generations actually. They have being doing this since PS2.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Imagine a streaming system for a next-gen PS5 exclusive title be something akin to this pertaining to density of detail and pace:

"Is-such-a-thing-even-possible.gif"...

If Horizon 2 opened JUST like this (without the space part obviously), with the camera swooping into the valley and as it does, Aloy flies in from off-screen on a Stormbird and the camera starts following her then switches straight into gameplay, I would flip my shit

Just imagine that for a second -- Horizon 2 literally starting you off by flying in at breakneck speeds over beautiful vistas. What a perfect way to show off the technology of the PS5.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
The more people talk about how the SSD is only going to be leveraged by first party titles the more disappointed I feel. I can't imagine that all third party developers will just say, "Series X is good enough speed and the cool demos Sony showed us doesn't light a fire inside us."

I hope we get third parties that give a go and think about porting to the "slower" system after getting something revolutionary up and running. It would be too sad if we only got 1 or 2 titles a year that pushed the PS5 to the limits.

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
Just how fast the ps5 ssd really is starts to hit home when you look at something like the Wii U, which had 12GB/s to VRAM. The PS3 had around 22GB/s.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
It will certainly be interesting to see Sony's first party games to see what they can do with that insane SSD.

Horizon 2 will give a good indication I would imagine - open world games will get the biggest bump due to IO.

It would be interesting if PS5 games are 1800p with temporal reconstruction to 4K while XSX games are native 4K but XSX games have worse pop in and texture streaming. What do you deem more important?
I don't know anything but I'd presume there wouldn't be pop in anymore on either next gen console. It's such a detrimental aspect of some modern games, the quickest way to ruin immersion. XSX still has a fast SSD. I'll be disappointed if AAA titles have any pop in whatsoever given the power at their disposal if I'm honest. If the choice has to be made then yeah I'd definitely rather have less/no pop in than native 4K.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
So Cerny said the ssd will have a direct impact on the speed at which we can travel.

The thought of a faster thumper in vr makes me giddy. While I'm not into traditional racing games, that too should get a nice boost.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I would happily pay an extra $100 for double the SSD storage on the PS5 because lord knows how expensive those pcie 4.0 7GB/s drives will cost....

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018

I don't know anything but I'd presume there wouldn't be pop in anymore on either next gen console. It's such a detrimental aspect of some modern games, the quickest way to ruin immersion. XSX still has a fast SSD. I'll be disappointed if AAA titles have any pop in whatsoever given the power at their disposal if I'm honest. If the choice has to be made then yeah I'd definitely rather have less/no pop in than native 4K.
A more accurate comparison would be 3510x1974.38 with better quality and detailed asset streaming vs 3840x2160(4k) with worse.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So...i have a doubt now
Pop-in and draw distance are HDD/SSD dependent and not gpu/cpu?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Honestly next gen games are going to be insane. Cannot wait. Sony made a huge PR blunder with using that tech deep dive as the reveal, they've left the door open for the console warriors to spread all this FUD.

If Sony can hit $399 with PS5 it will sell insanely well, but I think the lowest I would expect is $449 which is where I think they'll stick it, maybe with 3 months free PSN.

It was a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. The video had been recorded for GDC, but GDC among most all events got cancelled because of C19. That video would have leaked, or some of those tech slides, info would have and it would have been super confusing without someone with proper knowledge to decipher it.

Right now what sucks is Sony can't really do anything because of the pandemic. Probably had something planned for a reveal after GDC. But now it's kind of in the wind.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
And next gen games with 4K assets are just gonna get bigger...Sony will have to offer soon SKU with bigger SSD, probably in 2021 already?

Their storage/expansion solution , together with anemic bandwidth are for me 2 disappointments from PS5 tech presentation.
Doesn't all that compression talk play into this?

If the PS5 SSD is cable moving 9GB o data in a 5.5GB pipe every second, then surely that could indicate an at least 70- 80% compression?

So unless I am missing something, doesn't this also mean that the game on the SSD is already in its compressed state? So basically like getting 100GB worth of gam in a 60GB container of sorts.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
So...i have a doubt now
Pop-in and draw distance are HDD/SSD dependent and not gpu/cpu?

Combination of all three and also RAM, but limited by your slowest factor in practice.

You stream your assets from your drive into your RAM and from there they are rendered by the GPU and interact with game logic via CPU. That is how basically all rendering works, but the streaming asset is important where you have open worlds or graduated loading - which is basically every game today.

Some people have been talking about Sony trying to remove bottlenecks, design a system where nothing holds the system back and every component will be able to fire on all cylinders - which is why they invested heavily in the SSD IO which is by far the worst component of that process.

It was a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. The video had been recorded for GDC, but GDC among most all events got cancelled because of C19. That video would have leaked, or some of those tech slides, info would have and it would have been super confusing without someone with proper knowledge to decipher it.

Right now what sucks is Sony can't really do anything because of the pandemic. Probably had something planned for a reveal after GDC. But now it's kind of in the wind.

There isn't a problem with the technical deep dive, but that is something that should be coming after a public facing consumer centric reveal - "here is the PS5, it's over twice as powerful as PS4Pro, look at these amazing games that are running on it" should have come out before this.

They have launch games coming out on the thing in 6 months. They can show games if they wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.