• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I remember that when the PS5 came out in Australia for AU$549, there was a special bundle SKU called the Player Edition, which is what I got. It was AU$699, and for that extra $150 you got a second DS4, Killzone SF, and the PlayStation Camera. Two PS5 SKUs at $399 and $499 would likely translate to those same prices, but the latter would be much worse value than the Player Edition if all it had was doubled storage.
Since the PS5 is already out in australia, can you please insert the bloodborne disk and tell us about framepacing. Thank you.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
So with Sony going fully home working.
What do you think their plan will be for the next PS5 showing?

Pre-recorded conference call?

Or just releasing trailers?

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017

"We will be taking full advantage of ray-tracing on the next gen PS5, but obviously the PS4 can't handle that feature. "

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Just had a thought on how pushing clocks really hard on a first iteration console makes a lot of sense. When PS5 goes into 5nm or even 3nm down the line, they will be able to make 36CU units that can comfortably run at those clocks.

If it was 1.8Ghz for example, they would end up producing chips that they can handle much more than that, but will run under clocked for compatibility.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017

"We will be taking full advantage of ray-tracing on the next gen PS5, but obviously the PS4 can't handle that feature. "

I assume this is mainly for demonstrating the audio.
It sounds nice, but at the same time it's really sad that a third party developer randomly tweets a video about tech (likely) powerd by PS5 (too) but Sony couldn't even show a gif during their own "Road to PS5".

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
I assume this is mainly for demonstrating the audio.
It sounds nice, but at the same time it's really sad that a third party developer randomly tweets a video about tech (likely) powerd by PS5 (too) but Sony couldn't even show a gif during their own "Road to PS5".
No raytracing is for graphics, he literally telling "The main difference will be certain details in graphics". Also they are targeting 4k60 fps according to the dev.

Adum

May 30, 2019
For those worrying Sony has hurt their brand with their PR so far. IGN poll.

le7p71bnnap41.jpg
I tried looking for it, but couldn't find the actual IGN article. Do you know what the sample size was? That'd give good context.

No raytracing is for graphics, he literally telling "The main difference will be certain details in graphics". Also they are targeting 4k60 fps according to the dev.
I mean. I don't mean to be an armchair developer, but wouldn't it be pathetically easy to make a PS4 game run at 4k60 on PS5? I fully expect MS to aim for 4k120 on all their crossgen stuff.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
I was't implying the game is ugly or anything. I meant it's strange that Sony didn't provide tech videos during a deep dive yet here's a random tech video mentioning PS5.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I tried looking for it, but couldn't find the actual IGN article. Do you know what the sample size was? That'd give good context.

I mean. I don't mean to be an armchair developer, but wouldn't it be pathetically easy to make a PS4 game run at 4k60 on PS5? I fully expect MS to aim for 4k120 on all their crossgen stuff.
Lol..

Only if it were that simple.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
I'm expecting a form factor the size of a PS2 slim with a split thermosiphon made of unobtainium.

All consoles will require the Official PlayStation Submerging Mineral Oil Cooling Tank.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Here's the full gameplay trailer of the "Project Awakening" game, originally for PS4, that Coreteks mentioned in his video. He believes this could be PS5 gameplay footage with ray tracing.

Last edited:

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
An important part of the price discussion is that a big money maker is subscriptions. Taking a $100 loss is a much smaller risk than it ever has been. If a $100 loss means making $300 off subscriptions, then that's what they'll try doing.
Not that Sony can choose whatever price they want, but they can afford to lose a little bit more because they'll more than make up for it over the next few years.

$399 isn't out of the question and it might even be necessary with being undercut by Lockhart.
Making $300 off subscriptions over the generation? That seems pretty low. PS was boasting about early adopters spending $1800 over the life of ps4, something like $1100 for average user.

He was asked about differences between ps4 and ps5 and graphics are all there is to it?

Weren't those actual people?
They were. Someone mentioned that the different animations made for them would be too much effort for something as small as that presentation.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Lady Gaia could you give your thoughts on his conclusions?

It's a pretty dense video, and I bailed when it was starting to get more into speculation about the PC market toward the end but here are some quick notes I took while watching it:

It's far too easy to point to technology as the cure for economic recessions because both are something of a constant in human history. The real question is whether there's really any demonstrable causal relationship, or whether a continual growth trend driven by technology just looks particularly meaningful in the face of downturns. No real evidence is offered and I'm extremely dubious to say the least. The narrator is far too quick to attribute meaning to events such as a huge jump in AMD's stock price that are mirrored by the rest of the market in response to global events, not the rise of a new gaming generation as suggested in the video. In fact, you could quite reasonably claim that the inevitable recession is more likely to have a huge impact on this console generation than the other way around.

There are some good thoughts but, despite protesting that he doesn't care about who "wins" he also leans in just previously to say that he thinks Sony has won the console war with their SSD solution. That's not exactly dispassionate. Drawing conclusions still seems premature because there's so much we still don't know, but I think he's largely correct in the assessment that the Series X will do marginally better at high frame rates and resolutions while the PS5 is likely to excel at fetching assets that make up highly varied, immersive worlds. Still, he jumps to a lot of really odd conclusions, like Sony's clock speeds suggesting a lower power draw and smaller form factor. The 2.23GHz clock is anything but power friendly, so that's something of a head scratcher. Sony may well have a more compact design, but that will come down to their approach to cooling and obsession with industrial design.

The section on the relative expense of accessing memory relative to computation misses the incredibly relevant temporal component. Sure, fetching data from RAM takes more than a hundred times as much energy as doing computation with the resulting value, but it also takes several hundred times as long. It's likely less energy intensive amortized over time. It also fills a complete cache line, reducing the cost of sequential access. It's a little of an apples-to-oranges comparison without a whole lot more context and doesn't really relate as closely to the SSD story as he seems to think it does.

He does make some solid points about how specialized these designs are. They're not stock PC parts, and they're far from identical despite the common heritage. There seemed to be posters here who expected the two consoles to be virtually identical, and yet it's clear they're anything but. In fact, differences in the design philosophy are almost certain to have significant impact in areas we're not yet privy to. He doesn't really spend much time talking about the I/O architecture apart from top-line specs, and it's where a lot of the unknowns will play out. Differences in latency, memory bandwidth contention, and CPU utilization could be huge when you're streaming gigabytes a second in parallel with normal game activities. Small details in the designs we don't yet have the full picture around could have a significant impact on the gaming experience.

The hand-waving about Tempest being just AMD's TrueAudio Next flies in the face of Cerny's statements on the subject. I believe there really is a customized CU design with a local static memory architecture optimized for audio manipulation, just as stated in the Road to PS5 presentation.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Here's the full gameplay trailer of the "Project Awakening" game, originally for PS4, that Coreteks mentioned in his video. He believes this could be PS5 game footage with ray tracing.

I cannot see much that would be classed as RT but there is obviously some great GI going on here along with various animation effects but nothing looks RT like. Looks damn good and certainly more ps5 than ps4.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
He does make some solid points about how specialized these designs are. They're not stock PC parts, and they're far from identical despite the common heritage. There seemed to be posters here who expected the two consoles to be virtually identical, and yet it's clear they're anything but. In fact, differences in the design philosophy are almost certain to have significant impact in areas we're not yet privy to.

This is a interesting point that people seem to be missing .
You have some people saying these are just PC parts in a box but this gen is the return to more custom hardware .
Thinking about last gen most people expect both to do that again but this time they went more custom .
Both MS and Sony did more customization and in some ways you can say Sony is semi back to the old days compare to PS4.
It great that each trying to do there own thing since so many people were expecting the 2 systems to be very much alike .
There are in some ways but very different in others and it going to be interesting to see the games.

Adum

May 30, 2019
Thanks for the source, but they didn't show how many people voted. Disappointing. I don't like poll results without total number of votes.

Unless the base game was already 1080p60 on Xbox One S, it's not going to happen.
In terms of just pure maths, should be doable.

Absolute best case scenario, games on the base Xbox One runs at 1080/60
The Xbox Series X has a GPU that's 9x better than the Xbox One, so running the same game at native 4k should be fine. The Xbox Series X also has a CPU that -at minimum- is 4x better than the Xbox One so it shouldn't have a problem pushing twice the frames. The memory bandwidth is also around 6x more on the Series X. Would love a more technically proficient person to chime in here. If we were talking about PC parts, those spec multipliers would be easy to predict.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for the source, but they didn't show how many people voted. Disappointing. I don't like poll results without total number of votes.

In terms of just pure maths, should be doable.

Absolute best case scenario, games on the base Xbox One runs at 1080/60
The Xbox Series X has a GPU that's 9x better than the Xbox One, so running the same game at native 4k should be fine. The Xbox Series X also has a CPU that -at minimum- is 4x better than the Xbox One so it shouldn't have a problem pushing twice the frames. The memory bandwidth is also around 6x more on the Series X. Would love a more technically proficient person to chime in here. If we were talking about PC parts, those spec multipliers would be easy to predict.

If the base game is 1080/60 it could be doable. But it would have the exact same visuals to achieve that 4K@120 (if even possible). Same graphics just higher resolution and framerate. Not exactly something that I'm looking for in a next generation console.

Oct 25, 2017
And here i have to say i much more prefer MS plug & play, Vita memory card style proprietary approach. You know what expansion card/SSD you are buying, you plug it in expansion slot and it works.

Sony solution sounds more "consumer friendly" on paper cause it's not proprietary but consumers will have to look for what exactly? "PS5 certified" SSD expansion modules? Open console on the back in order to plug it in like with HDD now? That will be confusing for a bunch of non tech-savvy people who might buy wrong SSD and then wonder why it doesn't fit in/works etc.

This might pay off for Sony in a very, very long term when prices go down but i wish they did the same as MS and went with proprietary SSD solution and not this.
Wait until we see what MS charge for their expansion drives.
What Sony are doing is everything everyone wished Sony would've done with the Vita.
The last time MS had expansion drives they were double the standard storage price. But MS got away with it. Hardly any complaints and no lasting stigma.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Exciting times considering many of us believed the PS5 wouldn't be able to stand toe to toe with XSX, personally I'm happy they're so close with their own strengths.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wait until we see what MS charge for their expansion drives.
What Sony are doing is everything everyone wished Sony would've done with the Vita.
The last time MS had expansion drives they were double the standard storage price. But MS got away with it. Hardly any complaints and no lasting stigma.
Sony Spec SSD's are not going to be cheap either.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this is over $399 in this economy sales will be slow, add scarcity and they might as well delay this till next year

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How much are we talking you think? $100?
More like 200+ tbh. SSD's were not cheap on PC back in the day. Imagine a much higher spec one that Sony certifies works with PS5 and you are looking at similar money to whatever MS is doing. MS can at least have 3rd parties making expansion drives, since the tech already is around and already cheaper overall.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Where did I say "only"?
When you contrasted XSX with Sony's machine. Are you saying you actually meant "XSX is for 2 or 3 years down the line. PS5 sounds like it's for 2 or 3 years down the line, so it appeals to me more." That doesn't make much sense.

So unless I am missing something, doesn't this also mean that the game on the SSD is already in its compressed state? So basically like getting 100GB worth of gam in a 60GB container of sorts.
That's correct. But Blu-ray discs are the same way, already compressed. So it won't be an extra advantage from this gen to next. (Except possibly for Microsoft's BCPack.)

You are joking right?
Of course he isn't. It was a real audience.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
More like 200+ tbh. SSD's were not cheap on PC back in the day. Imagine a much higher spec one that Sony certifies works with PS5 and you are looking at similar money to whatever MS is doing. MS can at least have 3rd parties making expansion drives, since the tech already is around and already cheaper overall.
I agree. I think the difference will be that PS5-compatible SSDs will reduce in price with competitive brands creating for both PS5 AND PC compared to prices of the proprietary Series X SSDs.

Adum

May 30, 2019
Of course he isn't. It was a real audience.
That was a real headscratcher for me on my first watch. I only vaguely noticed the silhouettes and just assumed Sony had CGI'd them into the stream because they wanted it to seem like a real audience (weird, but ok). Only noticed that they were real people on my second watch. Damn, those audience members could give stealth ninjas a run for their money.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The vast majority will be absolutely fine nothing at all, just re-downloading something they intend to go back to, or with an external USB solution to offload games that they don't intend to play in the extremely near future. I'm not too worried about it taking ten minutes to offload a 100GB game onto storage that's significantly cheaper, and I suspect most people would feel similarly. For those who value high-speed access to a large library, the option will exist at a substantial premium.

I do hope both Sony and Microsoft recognize that this is going to be common enough that the system will have some built-in automatic storage management rather than having to manually direct what goes where and when.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It's a pretty dense video, and I bailed when it was starting to get more into speculation about the PC market toward the end but here are some quick notes I took while watching it:

It's far too easy to point to technology as the cure for economic recessions because both are something of a constant in human history. The real question is whether there's really any demonstrable causal relationship, or whether a continual growth trend driven by technology just looks particularly meaningful in the face of downturns. No real evidence is offered and I'm extremely dubious to say the least. The narrator is far too quick to attribute meaning to events such as a huge jump in AMD's stock price that are mirrored by the rest of the market in response to global events, not the rise of a new gaming generation as suggested in the video. In fact, you could quite reasonably claim that the inevitable recession is more likely to have a huge impact on this console generation than the other way around.

There are some good thoughts but, despite protesting that he doesn't care about who "wins" he also leans in just previously to say that he thinks Sony has won the console war with their SSD solution. That's not exactly dispassionate. Drawing conclusions still seems premature because there's so much we still don't know, but I think he's largely correct in the assessment that the Series X will do marginally better at high frame rates and resolutions while the PS5 is likely to excel at fetching assets that make up highly varied, immersive worlds. Still, he jumps to a lot of really odd conclusions, like Sony's clock speeds suggesting a lower power draw and smaller form factor. The 2.23GHz clock is anything but power friendly, so that's something of a head scratcher. Sony may well have a more compact design, but that will come down to their approach to cooling and obsession with industrial design.

The section on the relative expense of accessing memory relative to computation misses the incredibly relevant temporal component. Sure, fetching data from RAM takes more than a hundred times as much energy as doing computation with the resulting value, but it also takes several hundred times as long. It's likely less energy intensive amortized over time. It also fills a complete cache line, reducing the cost of sequential access. It's a little of an apples-to-oranges comparison without a whole lot more context and doesn't really relate as closely to the SSD story as he seems to think it does.

He does make some solid points about how specialized these designs are. They're not stock PC parts, and they're far from identical despite the common heritage. There seemed to be posters here who expected the two consoles to be virtually identical, and yet it's clear they're anything but. In fact, differences in the design philosophy are almost certain to have significant impact in areas we're not yet privy to. He doesn't really spend much time talking about the I/O architecture apart from top-line specs, and it's where a lot of the unknowns will play out. Differences in latency, memory bandwidth contention, and CPU utilization could be huge when you're streaming gigabytes a second in parallel with normal game activities. Small details in the designs we don't yet have the full picture around could have a significant impact on the gaming experience.

The hand-waving about Tempest being just AMD's TrueAudio Next flies in the face of Cerny's statements on the subject. I believe there really is a customized CU design with a local static memory architecture optimized for audio manipulation, just as stated in the Road to PS5 presentation.

Nifty, I've been waiting for your analysis. Thank you :)

Sojillo

Oct 29, 2017
A thought crossed my mind: MS could charge more for the ssd to offload the price of the console. They know that the ones purchasing the series X will surely buy an ssd.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Very sneaky! I see you!

He was asked about differences between ps4 and ps5 and graphics are all there is to it?
Yes...when it comes to the game he's developing. He's simply stating the difference between the two versions of the game he's developing (ps4 version vs ps5 version)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding expandable storage on the PS5 I wouldn't be surprised if Sony does have their own PS branded expansion drives you can purchase in addition to the open market solution they mentioned. That seems like the best of both worlds solution as enthusiasts get to shop around for better deals while the mainstream audience who might want more storage just has to go buy the Sony solution and doesn't have to worry about doing research and whatnot. Sony would no doubt price their solution a bit more than the average third party drive, but people will still gobble them up in droves meaning more profit for them anyways. I really can't see any reason why they wouldn't go that route, to be honest.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The vast majority will be absolutely fine nothing at all, just re-downloading something they intend to go back to, or with an external USB solution to offload games that they don't intend to play in the extremely near future. I'm not too worried about it taking ten minutes to offload a 100GB game onto storage that's significantly cheaper, and I suspect most people would feel similarly. For those who value high-speed access to a large library, the option will exist at a substantial premium.

I do hope both Sony and Microsoft recognize that this is going to be common enough that the system will have some built-in automatic storage management rather than having to manually direct what goes where and when.
Yeah, I certainly have no issue with keeping only my currently played games on the SSD and having other games backed up on an external HDD, it should be relatively quick to transfer them over and it's not like it's something you'd need to do every day. Plus there's the option to increase the storage size in the future if absolutely needed, but I could see the built-in SSD being enough for me for the entire gen.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If the base game is 1080/60 it could be doable. But it would have the exact same visuals to achieve that 4K@120 (if even possible). Same graphics just higher resolution and framerate. Not exactly something that I'm looking for in a next generation console.
Gears 5 is almost there (4k100 fps apparently) with improved settings and they were not using any of the new hardware features as the port was done in 2 weeks.

I feel like VRS + some ML upscaling could make this doable across the board even for games aiming 30 fps and sub 1080p on xbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.