Status
Not open for further replies.

eightg4

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
A. Yes, of course there's restrictions...not denying that.

However, we have never had I/O speeds like this in the modern gaming era since we transitioned to optical drives and HDDs. It's a massive leap forward

B. I disagree, they are not great at hiding it, and you can easily spot the limitations in game design almost everywhere.

C. It's not really a rendering issue at all. Once you get inside the game only has to render whats mostly in view.

Textures are a different matter. It's entirely an HDD issue. Games have tons of data waiting to be used in RAM because seek speeds are too slow, and it would be too jarring to wait a minute to load each time you go from indoors to outdoors

It most certainly is a massive deal and the doubters are in for a rude awakening

Hell yeah !

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
ROPS are part of ALL GPU's, take the Vega 64 which is Radeon GCN but still 64 ROPS. The only card above that now is the 2080Ti which is 14TF card with 16 more SM/CUs. Just increasing ROPS if not a limit is pointless, 64ROPS on the Series X as is will surface, napkin math example:-

4K = 8.3M Pixels x 120Hz = ~995M P/s
8K = 16.6M Pixels z 60Hz = ~995M P/s

SXS @ 64ROPS x 1825MHz = ~117GigaPixels/s (see Billion)
isnt 8k 4x the pixels of 4k?
iirc 8K is 7680x4320 = 33.17M pixels.
from my understanding the xK refers to the number of pixels on the larger axis, on 4k its 3840 pixels, on 8k its 7680, on 1080p its 1920 (as 1080p is 2K and not 1440p which is more like 2.5K)

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
from my understanding the xK refers to the number of pixels on the larger axis, on 4k its 3840 pixels, on 8k its 7680, on 1080p its 1920 (as 1080p is 2K and not 1440p which is more like 2.5K)

You are correct. 8k is 33.17M pixels, not 16.6M.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Here:
www.resetera.com

Coretek video about AMD strategy and the console

There resume of video is courtesy of nujabeans https://www.resetera.com/threads/playstation-5-system-architecture-deep-dive-ot-secret-agent-cerny.175780/post-30298317 This channel Coreteks focuses on PC gaming/GPU industry and doesn’t have any sort of “allegiance” to Microsoft or Sony. He...
No. You made a claim, please elaborate on the the issues you think is wrong.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Sure but that was a design decision made after testing and careful considerations from Microsoft. And it doesn't look like it's been an issue to me.
So again, I don't see why Microsoft wouldn't have more rasterisers if their testing showed they're needed to avoid being bottlenecked there with so many CUs.
You do a lot of simulations on a piece of hardware to figure out the balancing of these things.
Also, the number of ROPs and rasterisers is not necessarily tied. It usually scales together for obvious reasons but there's no technical reason a priori to have them strictly tied (it usually depends more on the underlying architecture than other factors).
Resolution is also increasing at a faster rate than geometry, which is one of the reasons RDNA usually has 4 ROPs per rasteriser.

If the SX and RDNA2 follows the same structure of RDNA1 (I don't see why not) the SX could end up having up to 96 ROP. I guess we'll have to wait and see how MS decided to arrange the dual CUs. We know RDNA1 has a max of 5 dual CUs per Shader Array, and we know we can have less than 5 but we don't know if it can be more than 5. If more is posible then then I guess they could have 7 dual CUs per array with with 2 shader engines for 64 ROP with 56 CUs. If more than 5 is not possible, we know less is possible so 2 shader engines with 5 dual CUs per srray and 1 with 4 dual CUs per array could be possible giving you 96 ROP with 56 CUs. It's all speculation until we know more about RDNA2 or SX SoC, but it's possible.

Last edited:

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
ROPS are part of ALL GPU's, take the Vega 64 which is Radeon GCN but still 64 ROPS. The only card above that now is the 2080Ti which is 14TF card with 16 more SM/CUs. Just increasing ROPS if not a limit is pointless, 64ROPS on the Series X as is will surface, napkin math example:-

4K = 8.3M Pixels x 120Hz = ~995M P/s
8K = 16.6M Pixels z 60Hz = ~995M P/s

SXS @ 64ROPS x 1825MHz = ~117GigaPixels/s (see Billion)

NAVI is fundamentally different from GCN is a lot of key areas, but we're approaching NDA territory here.

But the original point of the discussion stays. Different parts of the GPU can be scaled differently, especially so in NAVI that let go of some old GCN limitations.
PS5 rasteriser is *not* faster than Xbox from the released informations so far, and it's wrong to assume that it is just because the clock is higher.
Also, all modern GPUs are greatly oversized in ROP output anyway compared to what's actually needed. Pushing pixels out at the theoretical peak is a dream that in a real world AAA is extremely rare (and not for the entire game anyway) and it probably means something else is wrong.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NAVI is fundamentally different from GCN is a lot of key areas, but we're approaching NDA territory here.

But the original point of the discussion stays. Different parts of the GPU can be scaled differently, especially so in NAVI that let go of some old GCN limitations.
PS5 rasteriser is *not* faster than Xbox from the released informations so far, and it's wrong to assume that it is just because the clock is higher.
Also, all modern GPUs are greatly oversized in ROP output anyway compared to what's actually needed. Pushing pixels out at the theoretical peak is a dream that in a real world AAA is extremely rare (and not for the entire game anyway) and it probably means something else is wrong.
Your input is greatly appreciated, not only in ths thread but generally!

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
True, my napkin was folded lol.

Corrected 8K = ~33M Pixels x 60Hz = ~2Gigapixel/s

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Thanks at least we have an hint without NDA violation. ;)

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Really appreciate the input here, thanks for clarifying things.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Hah. Yes, I generally try to pick my battles in terms of when to get into technical details and when to stick with the big picture. I wasn't actually referring to the specific policy so much as the observation that you don't write code that reads from and writes to cache specifically. It's effectively a hardware optimization that should be largely transparent to the developer who thinks in terms of reading from and writing to addresses in RAM but receives free performance benefits as a side effect of the cache hierarchy.
We understand that.
I'm very curious about how any UMA-style consumer system handles virtual memory. I wonder if the new systems will let GPU read assets, say, sampling a texture, in memory mapped file style.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for such valuable post.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Doom Eternal seems to load much faster on SSD and there this time a difference between NVME SSD and SATA SSD probably a window to the future.

SATA SSD is 10 seconds.

If all games are optimized like this the less than 1 second look like possible on PS5.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Doom Eternal seems to load much faster on SSD and there this time a difference between NVME SSD and SATA SSD probably a window to the future.

SATA SSD is 10 seconds.

If all games are optimized like this the less than 1 second look like possible on PS5.

So this will possibly translate into Series X loading in a few seconds and PS5 loading a second or so quicker. Such a massive leap over those old HDD's. 30+ seconds for loading is beyond crazy but so many games do.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
So this will possibly translate into Series X loading in a few seconds and PS5 loading a second or so quicker. Such a massive leap over those old HDD's. 30+ seconds for loading is beyond crazy but so many games do.

Exactly, XSX and PS5 will have the advantage of realtime decompression data without demanding too much to the CPU but the assets will grow a lot too.

EDIT: Open world games will probably take longer to load too...

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Games will play and feel essentially the same. While the design needs sometimes to bend around current hw limitations, it's not nearly a blocker for 99% of the game or design as most ppl seems to think.
I think the amount of hidden loading screens is enough for me. The last third of GoW was too much on that front.
If GTA can stopped spawning the same 8 cars in a zone, it is great too.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018

That's a really interesting quote, thank you for pointing this aspect.
If I may ask, what's in your opinion the real output and TF peak that the consoles will push out on triple As?

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
because of Covid-19 I bought some games to play together with my girlfriend (who is a non-gamer). When we were playing some Crash Team Racing; one of the first things she said was "do you always have to wait this long before the race starts"?
Yeah, those Activision remasters (Crash / Spyro) have insane loading times.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If this is true then the PS5's SSD's performance lead is vastly overstated.
Not at all, loading times are just a small benefit of raw speed being faster.

If anything it has been a lot of downplaying of the difference.

The idea that the significant difference in dedicated I/O hardware and raw SSD speed will only benefit 1st party games or not have any noticeable benefits at all is based on the assumption that Sony made wrong architectural investments and we already have hints from the reputable sources that the opposite is true.

Adum

May 30, 2019
B. Most modern games are very good at hiding the preloading, to the point where you have to wonder if it's even an issue right now (adding the loading screen to let player know what's going on is an example of why these improvements can be somewhat questionable from UX/game design perspective).
I'm sorry but by modern games do you mean games made during the cartridge era? You're right, the Pokemon games on the old gameboys were really great and did a masterful job at that.

I know you're not talking about most titles released during the past few years because no one who's played a recent game would make a claim like that. One of the biggest AAA games right now -Destiny- has had it's entire game world design gimped because of slow HDD speeds. Even linear shooter games like CoD have fairly long loading screens if you die or when you first load up a level. Those fluff loading areas in Uncharted and GoW feel incredibly slow at times and sometimes break the flow of the game. And of course, I'm sure everyone enjoys the minute long loading screens in titles like GTAV and RDR2. Who doesn't enjoy periodically staring at a mostly static empty screen for 50-70 seconds with nothing else to do? Yeah, bring on that immersion baby!

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

SATA SSD is 10 seconds.

I don't know how damn slow that HDD is, but I never had loading times longer than 10s on PS4 with Doom Eternal .

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

The idea that the significant difference in dedicated I/O hardware and raw SSD speed will only benefit 1st party games or not have any noticeable benefits at all is based on the assumption that Sony made wrong architectural investments and we already have hints from the reputable sources that the opposite is true.

Mark Cerny told loading time is not the reason they work so much on a custom SSD. The I/O and Audio hybrid CU/SPU take some place on the SOC die too, they could probably have use it for a little bit more GPU power. Time will tell if it was good choice. Like always wait and see on the games.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

When it comes to loading it won't be a big difference few secs the most .
The bigger question was always what can the extra speed Sony SSD can do when making the game or helping out with .
Which may take a while to see or might not even matter time will tell .
Also extra few second won't matter to most but when you get accustom to a certain speed sometimes it can end up being annoying if something take longer lol.

Side note the SSD speed will also help with UI and QOL improvements so it's not only for games .

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
We know RDNA1 has a max of 5 dual CUs per Shader Array, and we know we can have less than 5 but we don't know if it can be more than 5.

We don't know that, no, the 5500 has 6 WGPs per SA.

If more is posible then then I guess they could have 7 dual CUs per array with with 2 shader engines for 64 ROP with 56 CUs.

That's what their CGI render of the chip layout implies. They could be lying there, though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't have the PS5 devkits, you can have detailed spec sheet and very detailed briefing by the platform holder about hardware capacity. This is the case of some developpers without title for the first 6 months of next generation. They maybe tailored there solution around what they heard from Sony or not. Time will tell.
Paper spec doesn't show actual performance. Especially with an unreleased GPU. Simple answer seems the most likely here, they'll throw whatever at the wall and see what sticks

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017

When it comes to loading it won't be a big difference few secs the most .
The bigger question was always what can the extra speed Sony SSD can do when making the game or helping out with .
Which may take a while to see or might not even matter time will tell .
Also extra few second won't matter to most but when you get accustom to a certain speed sometimes it can end up being annoying if something take longer lol.

Side note the SSD speed will also help with UI and QOL improvements so it's not only for games .
Thabks for the informative replies. I have to admit this has been the most condusing console launch in history for me.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017

I never said the PS5 was? not sure what this reponse is in relation to?
Plus you are now agreeming with my earlier statement on ROP count and being bound by it, which was what I said.
Reading your comment I can assume you are a Dev and as such the NDA, if so understood this was a conversation not wanting to force any breaking of that, thanks.

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Paper spec doesn't show actual performance. Especially with an unreleased GPU. Simple answer seems the most likely here, they'll throw whatever at the wall and see what sticks

It helps a lot and they have Navi GPU to so some test and use raytracing software. I would say wait and see this maybe not the only game at 4k at 60 fps with raytracing/Global illumination(maybe not full hybrid rendering and from dev with a devkit). The games will show if it is possible or not.

Edit: At least they have a target, Nice to see if they will reach or fail to reach it.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I think it's a possibility there's more L2 per CU on PS5, not more L2 than XSX period. This is based on the render we have of the Series X chip. To my eye, it seems to show that L2 for the 10 PHY takes up a smaller ratio of space than L2 for 8 PHY in Navi 5700. But not a smaller amount of space, so actual L2 amount would be about the same on both consoles. There are many possibly confounding factors, though: RDNA1 versus RDNA2, the partially-fanciful nature of the render, the lack of any similar shot for PS5, etc. So I wouldn't treat it as anything even close to confirmed. (In fact, I'd consider it too speculative to even mention if it weren't the case that Microsoft's E3 2019 video showed us way ahead of time exactly what the RAM layout would be. They're not afraid to put tech info in their marketing materials.)
I follow now. I'm inclined to believe it's real based on all their previous shots of such things.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
I never said the PS5 was? not sure what this reponse is in relation to?

Plus you are now agreeming with my earlier statement on ROP count and being bound by it??

A few different threads got mixed in.
My original statement in the thread was that the idea PS5 was 22% faster than Xbox at rasterisation is incorrect, and I said that's because the rasteriser is not a single block and it scales with the number of CUs (and even then, you're unlikely to be rasteriser bound).
Somehow someone (I don't even remember how) brought the ROP count in the mix, even tho it's unrelated to rasterisation.
I never disagreed with the statement that both won't be ROP bound in most cases or that they both will likely have 64 ROPs.
What I disagree with is that, *in theory*, nothing architecturally is preventing Navi/RDNA to change that number as the design is extremely modular and flexible compared to GCN.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
From what we learned PS5 should load most games about twice faster, maybe even faster.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I guess many - including myself - were conflating the geometry processor for the rasteriser. If rasterisation itself if done by the 'prim' units which seem bound to CU count, then that part of the 'top' of the pipeline won't be stronger on PS5.

I think it's fair to say that PS5 could be xx% faster at whatever that pre-rasterisation, centralised, 'geometry processor' is doing, though. Assuming PS5 and XSX follow that template. I assume it's responsible for pre-rasterisation geometry work - culling, 'mesh shading' etc?

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
A few different threads got mixed in.
My original statement in the thread was that the idea PS5 was 22% faster than Xbox at rasterisation is incorrect, and I said that's because the rasteriser is not a single block and it scales with the number of CUs (and even then, you're unlikely to be rasteriser bound).
Somehow someone (I don't even remember how) brought the ROP count in the mix, even tho it's unrelated to rasterisation.
I never disagreed with the statement that both won't be ROP bound in most cases or that they both will likely have 64 ROPs.
What I disagree with is that, *in theory*, nothing architecturally is preventing Navi/RDNA to change that number as the design is extremely modular and flexible compared to GCN.
Yep, I agree with that, they can design around IF a constraint but I think 64 is enough to not become an issue even at the higher CU and thus throughput.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I guess many - including myself - were conflating the geometry processor for the rasteriser. If rasterisation itself if done by the 'prim' units which seem bound to CU count, then that part of the 'top' of the pipeline won't be stronger on PS5.

I think it's fair to say that PS5 could be xx% faster at whatever that pre-rasterisation, centralised, 'geometry processor' is doing, though. Assuming PS5 and XSX follow that template. I assume it's responsible for pre-rasterisation geometry work - culling, 'mesh shading' etc?

I think mesh shading is linked to CUs but I am not sure.

EDIT:

Mesh Shader Possibilities – Nathan Reed’s coding blog

Pixels and polygons and shaders, oh my!

Mesh shaders represent a radical simplification of the geometry pipeline. With a mesh shader enabled, all the shader stages and fixed-function features described above are swept away. Instead, we get a clean, straightforward pipeline using a compute-shader-like programming model. Importantly, this new pipeline is both highly flexible—enough to handle the existing geometry tasks in a typical game, plus enable new techniques that are challenging to do on the GPU today—and it looks like it should be quite performance-friendly, with no apparent architectural barriers to efficient GPU execution.

Like a compute shader, a mesh shader defines work groups of parallel-running threads, and they can communicate via on-chip shared memory as well as wave intrinsics. In lieu of a draw call, the app launches some number of mesh shader work groups. Each work group is responsible for writing out a small, self-contained chunk of geometry, called a "meshlet", expressed in arrays of vertex attributes and corresponding indices. These meshlets then get tossed directly into the rasterizer, and Bob's your uncle.

Oct 27, 2017

This. Don't overlook what devs have been saying and how they have been reacting very happily.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Good thing its SSD performance lead isn't just about loading times then.

To use Cerny's example, The PS5 SSD and the custom hardware stack built around it to optimize and guarantee its performance means that you can stream in 2GB worth of data in a quarter of a second.

That's 2GB of data in 0.25 seconds.

Now even if the XSXhas the same hardware customizations built into its APU and (which it doesn't) that would mean that the PS5 can still stream in at last 1GB more data (this should actually be more compared the XSXbut keeping it simple for argument sake) in 0.25 seconds than in the XSX.

That's what all the fuss is really about.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think mesh shading is linked to CUs but I am not sure.

Yeah, it makes sense mesh shading would be running atop the cus I guess.

The whitepaper is a bit a mute on what the geometry processor does. From reading around other previews it sounds like it - along with the prim units - collaborate on pre-rasterisation tasks. That the geometry processor can be responsible for some assembly/fixed-function tessellation, and also coordination of the other prim units which also do assembly/tessellation work. A bit confusing! Some element of that work seems to be centralised though.

The other big caveat, as mentioned by others though, is that the resources in each shader array can vary per design. We can surmise PS5 and XSX are 'standard' in this regard, but it's possible their resource ratios may differ.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Now even if the XSX has the same hardware customizations built into its APU and (which it doesn't)

How we know this is true?

that would mean that the PS5 can still stream in at last 1GB more data (this should actually be more compared the XSXbut keeping it simple for argument sake) in 0.25 seconds than in the XSX.

This is true if we assume that both systems have to transfer the same amount of data in assets neaded to load a similar scene. In the case they don't, these straight raw speeds comparisons are meaningless until we see real world performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.