• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I just noticed that with your post. Hype deflated a bit. I might still be interested depending on the game line-up. This announcement doesn't surprise me at all. After seeing the success Nintendo had, they would just be leaving money on the table if they didn't jump in as well.

I also worry about games that have the option. Crash 1 works fine with the d-pad because it was built around it but if this collection has Crash 3, for example, I would hate using a d-pad for that.

They really need to announce the full line-up.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 3 getting (finally) a re-release just fuels my desire for a Tekken Arcade Collection

T3, TTT, T5DR, T6BR and TTT2U in 4K
*starts salivating*

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda cool. But not listing the other 15 games makes it hard to pre-order. literally a leap of faith of you'll like it or not. That and why are they not dualshocks? RIP playing ape escape on this.

The release is in December.

I'm sure they will have trailers revealing the other games leading up to release to generate hype.

Velka

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt it but still...
16314-suikoden-ii-playstation-front-cover.jpg

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I noticed in the video it has the flap on the back where the parallel connector was in earlier models. I wonder if there are any connections hidden behind which might allow downloading/transferring more games?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The release is in December.

I'm sure they will have trailers revealing the other games leading up to release to generate hype.

I mean sure. But personally I don't really need a hype cycle for a bunch of games I've probably already played lol. It ain't like they're gonna be adding a long lost game or something.

Just a weird way to go about a "limited" Console.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Really need to see the full game list for this. No analog sticks (which means no Ape Escape) and no power supply are already a little annoying, but the PS1 does have some great games.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. I never had a PSX (friends did in college) so I don't have a close connection to the system, but depending on the rest of the games, I might be tempted.

May 5, 2018
Oh wait these game series' make me wonder if they have a shot on the Playstation Classic: Hot Shots Golf and MLB The Show. Hot Shots' chances are good but a little weird since the first game was developed by the current Mario Golf and Tennis dev Camelot, so they'd probably put 2 in there. However, it was one of the few Hot Shots Golf games to let the Santa Monica studio to create Western cartoon designs to appeal to the West:
th

Now that Everybody's Golf has gone all in on the anime art style World Wide, would the console have the Japanese aethestic that 2 got only in Japan?
For MLB sure it can be argued those games didn't get good until the PS3 and PS4 era's but Sony does have the licensing rights to publish the Sim MLB games (More arcade-y games like RBI Baseball have MLB teams and are on other systems). Wonder if any of the ld 989 Studios MLB games make the cut?

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Every player in said industry is into making money. Sony have a well established and celebrated history of retro titles across generations of consoles. It's a no brainer to leverage demand in the market that Nintendo helped create.

It will go nicely next to my NES and SNES classics, that's for sure.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I am waiting for one of these companies to go beyond just the "Classics" idea and release a Retro Console. It would support the entire back catalogue up to the last generation. Make it online so the purchases are tied to an account. If they want to sell the nostalgia of old hardware shell designs, release them as special editions and produce controller replicas.

Nintendo could basically do this with old Wii U hardware. Reconfigure the thing so it's a harddrive but can still play GameCube, Wii, and Wii U files. No emulation necessary.

I fill like this would make a great pillar for their businesses. Whatever nostalgia a generation has, it's covered by this Retro Console. You upgrade it every mid-gen so it supports the last console.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm in for this, depending on the games. Booting up PlayStation for the first time was a very big "woah" moment in my gaming life.

I am nervous about how this will all look on current TV setups though. Same with a potential N64 mini. These early 3D games are rough.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I think everyone has their pet list of games they'd want to be in it in order to get it.

For me, I'd really want Symphony of the Night (probably likely if they can get Konami on board), MGS (same), and Chrono Cross (less likely).

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I could see PS2 classic in 2020, since that's the 20th anniversary.

I hope this means Sony knows we want Ps1 games on PS4.

Honestly can't see how they would manage it. Low cost mobile hardware isn't at the level where it can reliably emulate PS2 games and I honestly don't see it being there in 2020. Heck Sony's own PS2 emulation on the PS3/4 has some issues and barely runs above native res.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Not even close to being in on this, my PS3 still functions and I'd rather just buy PS1 games from PSN and play them at 480P on a crt.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone has their pet list of games they'd want to be in it in order to get it.

For me, I'd really want Symphony of the Night (probably likely if they can get Konami on board), MGS (same), and Chrono Cross (less likely).
Symphony is a staple PSX title. One of the finest games on the platform. I can't imagine a classic system release like this without it. Same for Metal Gear Solid.

I'm curious to see what kind of display options are available as well, I'd be surprised if Sony didn't build in some of the smoothing options available on the PS2 and PS3 here.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Considering that the PlayStation is the only console that Chrono Cross was ever released on & with it being on PSN, I can definitely see it being a part of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.