• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Next OT Name

• Let the games do the talking

Votes: 156 26.4%
  • Go woke, record broke

Votes: 189 31.9%
  • A penguin designed by Apple

Votes: 82 13.9%
  • We Kena't wait.

Votes: 48 8.1%
  • A Standalone Thread.

Votes: 31 5.2%
  • It feels like Miles away

Votes: 74 12.5%
  • Who is she?

Votes: 12 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah okay. Thats what I thought I remembered reading from Grubb's tweets as well! But there was so much speculation today I was confused lol. Doesn't help the thread moves so fast lmao.

God, I hope so. We waited long enough. And Sony was quiet long enough. Today is the day! :)

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Smell that? This is the one!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You gotta play RDR2 then.
The saddest scene is when my horse dies. I was devastated.

RDR2 doesn't bother me that much because it's the wild west. It's kinda thematically necessary for the Western genre.

I am not super interested in any other games forcing me to ride a horse around.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
RDR2 doesn't bother me that much because it's the wild west. It's kinda thematically necessary for the Western genre.

Agreed. It is also super hard to do well.
Urban fantasy game sounds nice :) ND making a RPG..... man... a man can dream :P
A wide linear character driven RPG from ND with an actual story and not just save the freaking world plot used for the 10000th time. A man can dream.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
AGREED ON ALL OF THIS.

Including the horse part. Horses are so bloody boring.
i think insomniac makes the only open world games I'm interested in. most of what you do in those games is go from destination a to b so at least make that the most enjoyable part of the gameplay. Swinging in Spider-Man or grinding in sunset overdrive > holding/tapping the gallop button forever or using fast travel.

Oct 25, 2017

It dawned on me I was tired of horses too. I was lowkey sick horizons mounts are just glorified horses really hope they do more for the sequel(or just let me fly)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. It is also super hard to do well.

Pretty much. So much of modern games is just downtime, forcing the player to listen to podcasts or watch youtube video while waiting for a horse to take them somewhere meaningful. It's just not well-executed 99% of the time.

i think insomniac makes the only open world games I'm interested in. most of what you do in those games is go from destination a to b so at least make that the most enjoyable part of the gameplay. Swinging in Spider-Man or grinding in sunset overdrive > holding/tapping the gallop button forever or using fast travel.

Agreed. Insomniac nailed it for sure, but inFamous had it, Just Cause had it, and Crackdown had it too. Traversal is so important and so few games care about it these days.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
Can't wait!
PS5 meeting, and later a coffee while watching to the Digital Foundry video, with the guys ranting about first impressions.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
If your game has roads and traversal.

put a skateboard in the game.

ellie on a skateboard. Hire me, ND.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Yep. No open-world. Wide-linear is perfect. "Saving the world" or their "country" should still be the goal, tho.
No saving the country. That is why I like ND games. They are actually character driven where there are real human motivations and not a plot point as a protagonist. I would hate it if they went the generic route now.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No saving the country. That is why I like ND games. They are actually character driven where there are real human motivations and not a plot point as a protagonist. I would hate it if they went the generic route now.
I mean, take a look at Game of Thrones or A Song of Ice and Fire. So much is happening, but in the end, one of the main goals is to save "the world" :P

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Wow, I spent 10 minutes talking on the livestream chat on youtube and it was kinda nice. No console wars, just nice people waiting for the show and speculating. Sadly it derailed a bit after the first mention of Xbox. BEWARE OF TLOU2 SPOILERS.

Last edited:

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Pretty much. So much of modern games is just downtime, forcing the player to listen to podcasts or watch youtube video while waiting for a horse to take them somewhere meaningful. It's just not well-executed 99% of the time.
The only way it can be well executed is if you have a dynmaic world as vibrant as RDR 2's open worlds, which pretty much only Rockstar can make on the planet. They have spoiled all open world games for me now.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
I mean, take a look at Game of Thrones or A Song of Ice and Fire. So much is happening, but in the end, one of the main goals is to save "the world" :P
It is definitely not the goal in A Song of Ice and Fire, that story is not yet complete. The TV show is a travesty that I am not acknowledging the existence of.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
The only way it can be well executed is if you have a dynmaic world as vibrant as RDR 2's open worlds, which pretty much only Rockstar can make on the planet. They have spoiled all open world games for me now.
The production values in rdr2 will be unmatched until gta 6. I used to load that game up just to walk around.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I spent 10 minutes talking on the livestream chat on youtube and it was kinda nice. No console wars, just nice people waiting for the show and speculating. Sadly it derailed a bit after the first mention of Xbox. I recommend.
I'm suprised that is was nice for 10 minutes. Normally it's becoming terrible after 10 seconds :P

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020

I think Red Dead 2 Horses also work well, because if you aren't careful you can die really fast. You and your Horse.
I remember jumping off from a Hill that i thought wasn't really high. Well i was wrong and my Horse almost died and so did I. When i went out into the Mountains i was terrified to ride fast because i could have easily died out there. When you are sliding down something you are acutally careful, not to oversteer, while in other Games you just press the Stick forward. That's what made RDR2 Horses really engaging imo, compared to Assassin's Creed Horses for example.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I spent 10 minutes talking on the livestream chat on youtube and it was kinda nice. No console wars, just nice people waiting for the show and speculating. Sadly it derailed a bit after the first mention of Xbox. I recommend.
Wow, what if someone dropped TLOU2 spoilers?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is definitely not the goal in A Song of Ice and Fire, that story is not yet complete. The TV show is a travesty that I am not acknowledging the existence of.
A huge and powerful evil (undead) force wants to destroy everything the lives. Sounds like "world saving" to me ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

s y

Nov 8, 2017
If ghosts flops and sucker punch doesn't want to go through the trouble of making a new IP......

im just saying....

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
A huge and powerful evil (undead) force wants to destroy everything the lives. Sounds like "world saving" to me ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

The motivations of the Others are not actually clear in the books, nor have they really factored into the main plot directly outside of the prologue.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
This is pure conjecture and has never, and I mean never been discussed in the books. The story for all we know may be about what the characters do as the world is destroyed around them actively (as I imagine Joel's backstory in TLoU would be).

Status
Not open for further replies.