• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
For the RDNA 2 thing - just in case before everyone freaks out - PS5 isn't full RDNA 2 but RDNA 2 custom. Base RDNA 2 + custom developped features by Sony themselves. That means the PS5 has equivalent custom features to the full RDNA 2 of the Series X/S.

Now the big question is : which custom features are the bests ? Xbox ones (lol) or PlayStation ones ? And the answer to that is : we'll see when both consoles are out and we can compare on multiplat games.
It's pretty simple really. Those RDNA2 features are made with DirectX in mind, an API developed for MS mainly for Windows and a version of it for Xbox.

PlayStation doesn't use or need that API, it has its own since forever. Obviously AMD works with Sony on those features based on the PlayStation API and not DirectX.

There's really nothing new here. We'll hear more about RDNA2 implementation on PS5 after release probably. Fingers crossed for another Cerny talk.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Bugsnax being a PS+ game now means I've got some spare cash to go towards a different launch game. Maybe I'm getting Miles Morales after all 🤔

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
yeah we've known this since March, but that tweet from MS was designed in a lab to stir the pot in places like this
Yeah but it's just marketing in reality PS5 games are on par or more feature complete look at the Devil May Cry ray tracing situation. Everyone should let the warriors have their day they got a pr win. I'll say what i said in that thread i welcome Microsoft showing off the full rdna 2 difference compared to PS5 games ......I'm sure Sony is up to the challenge i think they want to prove that TFlops aren't the end all be all it's more about talent, budget, API's and smart hardware.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
For the RDNA 2 thing - just in case before everyone freaks out - PS5 isn't full RDNA 2 but RDNA 2 custom. Base RDNA 2 + custom developped features by Sony themselves. That means the PS5 has equivalent custom features to the full RDNA 2 of the Series X/S.

Now the big question is : which custom features are the bests ? Xbox ones (lol) or PlayStation ones ? And the answer to that is : we'll see when both consoles are out and we can compare on multiplat games.
Anyone with a damn brain that isnt fanboyified should understand this but you know how it goes for wars. Sony famously will customize their silicon to the n'th degree to get as much low level performance as possible and also try their own solutions for things. I do know one thing that is going to be interesting is raytracing performance because i feel like that's def one custom divergence sony went vs MS, and possibly some other things.
always appreciate your posts as always.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Days Gone with a huge 1.70 update (25GB)
Holy shit this is big.
Maybe it is a patch to make the game good.
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Oh boy. They mustve added higher res textures etc as well for it to be that big.

do we know how these patches are affecting the actual game install size after being updated? i'd be surprised if this actually added 25gb to the game install if it's doing stuff like optimizing the load times and whatnot.

idk if we've seen before/after examples of the other games that have been surprise patched

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
PSVR with the adapter will require two of the PS5's USB ports, right? So that'll leave the two front ports for a headset dongle and external harddrive.

That's how I currently have my PS4 Pro set up, so pretty much the exact same thing. Ideally I was hoping to move my external drive to a rear USB slot to minimize the cable clutter.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
It's pretty simple really. Those RDNA2 features are made with DirectX in mind, an API developed for MS mainly for Windows and a version of it for Xbox.

PlayStation doesn't use or need that API, it has its own since forever. Obviously AMD works with Sony on those features based on the PlayStation API and not DirectX.

There's really nothing new here. We'll hear more about RDNA2 implementation on PS5 after release probably. Fingers crossed for another Cerny talk.
It is simple, but some are going wild over this as if this represents a massive disadvantage for the PS5 or something. War never changes

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
If Sony wants to favor organic growth over acquisitions they can at least bolster Japan studios so that it starts putting out large games like Guerilla, Naighty Dog, and SSM do. They need a first party that can do Capcom/Square Enix style games.
I'm sure some of us here said wanting like this, including me...

But would they & when?

🙄🤷

Status
Not open for further replies.