Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2020
Italy
Wouldn't it be sad if SIE announced the closure of Bend Studio after the holidays especially when considering all these talks about "organic growth"? As it appears no one from their studio has been promoted to either a Game Director, Creative Director or Art Director position. They have been suspiciously silent about their studio ever since the announcement that John Garvin was retiring and Jeff Ross left.
Chill

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Why are we suddently talking about Bend Studio closing after Days Gone selling over 8M copies?
Weren't they hiring just a while ago?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Manchester Studio was hiring one day before closing.

Manchester Studio was flopping as far as i know. It was 5 year project that didn't pan out.

And that didn't answer my question. A studio thtat's been going since 1993, that gave us Syphon Filter, portable games like Resistance and Uncharted and expanded into a bigger studio for a surprise hit called Days Gone. Why are we talking about Bend Studio closing?

Like...there's literally no signs of that happening.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Manchester Studio was flopping as far as i know. It was 5 year project that didn't pan out.

And that didn't answer my question. A studio thtat's been going since 1993, that gave us Syphon Filter, portable games like Resistance and Uncharted and expanded into a bigger studio for a surprise hit called Days Gone. Why are we talking about Bend Studio closing?

Like...there's literally no signs of that happening.
I agree with u and I hope not. These guys have talent. They can make a new Uncharted if Sony doesn't want to continue with Days Gone.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at what I played this year, I'm amazed that my GOTY list is basically 8/10 PS exclusive games. This year feels amazing for people gaming on PS, even without counting DeS and MM.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So Sony makes the biggest Chad move in recent history by delisting Cyberpunk and I come into this thread and we're talking about closing studios. Welp.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
A recent Space Force letter of reprimand is truly a sight to behold. According to the letter and an accompanying memorandum for record, a Space Force member was 30 minutes late for a fitness lesson because he was scouting out nearby Target stores for the new PlayStation 5 console.

It gets better: when the Space Force member was reminded by his superior to get his ass to the fitness lesson, he responded "Yolo, PS5 > letters of discipline."

www.businessinsider.com

A Space Force member was busted down a rank for going to get a PlayStation 5 instead of to fitness training

"Yolo, PS5 > letters of discipline," said a Space Force member who until recently had the rank of senior airman.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
You've got to be sorry for the devs who are on the front lines working to fix this absolute mess of a situation, the higher ups at CDPR have failed them.
I can't say I'm surprised, drum up all the hype in the world for 7-8 years and this is the result.

Now you know why Rockstar only announces games when they're ready to be announced.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
promo130_1608257725eajuh.jpg

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Jun 19, 2020

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
1. SIE does not 'control' the hiring of individual roles within studios, lol. They manage headcount and budget, but whether or not a studio needs certain roles is not within Sony's realm to care because they don't run the studio day-to-day. The studio management at Bend could very well see that they do not need a dedicated CM,

2. The Art Director role is open in Bend's job site.

3. Just because no one was publicly elevated to be creative director/game director doesn't mean that job isn't being filled by someone. We never cared who the creative director was until Garvin said he's been out of the studio for over a year now, and in that span of time, they expanded the narrative team from a team of one to at least a team of two.

4. This isn't the first time we've had doom and gloom over Bend, remember when their LinkedIn studio page vanished. And is still not available today?

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
You've got to be sorry for the devs who are on the front lines working to fix this absolute mess of a situation, the higher ups at CDPR have failed them.
I can't say I'm surprised, drum up all the hype in the world for 7-8 years and this is the result.

Now you know why Rockstar only announces games when they're ready to be announced.
Ya that was the big mistake imo, announcing this game so early when they were already working on TW3, such an odd decision. They should have waited till this year to announce it, and launched early next year.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
DG sold very well if I remember correctly.
Probably more than the three infamous games combined. SP was allowed to keep getting better, and now they've got their breakthrough. Do t see why Sony wouldn't do the same.

ps: People can shit talk DG all they want. It still didn't get delisted. 😂

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
1. SIE does not 'control' the hiring of individual roles within studios, lol. They manage headcount and budget, but whether or not a studio needs certain roles is not within Sony's realm to care because they don't run the studio day-to-day. The studio management at Bend could very well see that they do not need a dedicated CM,

2. The Art Director role is open in Bend's job site.

3. Just because no one was publicly elevated to be creative director/game director doesn't mean that job isn't being filled by someone. We never cared who the creative director was until Garvin said he's been out of the studio for over a year now, and in that span of time, they expanded the narrative team from a team of one to at least a team of two.

4. This isn't the first time we've had doom and gloom over Bend, remember when their LinkedIn studio page vanished. And is still not available today?
They already had an Art Director, but his title was changed to Principal Concept Artist since September 2019. (https://www.linkedin.com/in/donaldyatomi) John Garvin was the CD on Days Gone. Also, Bend Studio company page on LinkedIn is still not available.

Last edited:

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Ya that was the big mistake imo, announcing this game so early when they were already working on TW3, such an odd decision. They should have waited till this year to announce it, and launched early next year.

They initially announced it as a conceptual project to attract people to join the company. It was also done to increase the company's notoriety and appeal.

That first trailer pretty much has nothing to do with what we got in the end besides the theme. Even the vibe is off.

Not only they misjudged their release window, but they kept delaying the launch which upset their investors and their fanboys. They released now because of investors and get on the game of the year lists with high scores for bonuses.

It's been a big YIKES all around. Compound that with their transphobic attitude and gamergate/alt right pandering, it's the perfect storm of karma I've seen in recent memory in this industry. CDPR are nowhere NEAR the likes of Rockstar, Naughty Dog and etc, even with them emulating the crunch culture in worse ways.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
They already had an Art Director, but his title was changed to Principal Concept Artist since September 2019. (https://www.linkedin.com/in/donaldyatomi) Bend Studio company page on LinkedIn is still not available.

Yeah, and ND's art director for TLOU2 is now no longer an art director, but a concept artist as well.

Roles can change as they finish up and move to another project. Or they deem that they need someone different. And in Bend's case, they clearly feel that way.

boards.greenhouse.io

Art Director

Bend, OR

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So is the new Playstation studios now a thing that shows up at the start of every game? It feels so fucking good to see it.

Been playing Sackboy (but on PS4) and it's fantastic. So damn charming. May eventually buy this opposed to renting.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
But you do realize that it makes no sense, right?
I hope so, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I just have a bad feeling about this one.
So is the new Playstation studios now a thing that shows up at the start of every game? It feels so fucking good to see it.

Been playing Sackboy (but on PS4) and it's fantastic. So damn charming. May eventually buy this opposed to renting.
Yes it is. It is supposed to replace the SIE Presents splash screen.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Dang, SIE has to be frustrated. Ridiculous that it's gotten to this point, but CDPR's Top Brass & Management absolutely deserves all the hits they're taking.

Kinda glad I only held a little interest in it. The only concern left would be that this eventually leads towards an MS acquisition.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
So Sony makes the biggest Chad move in recent history by delisting Cyberpunk and I come into this thread and we're talking about closing studios. Welp.
I do kinda get the concern, though. The last ten years have been pretty unexciting in terms of how Sony is running their studios. Their closures literally double the amount of aquisitions made.

Luckily their first-party output has never been stronger and are in a great spot right now.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope so, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I just have a bad feeling about this one.

Yes it is. It is supposed to replace the SIE Presents splash screen.
So they released their first AAA game after almost 15 years. Their game is on its way to sell 10 million copies when all is said and done. In a world/industry where it isn't easy to launch/start a new IP gaming franchise.
So the game sells great, receives good review scores, has tons of fans on social media and wins a couple of awards. Bend Studio is bigger than ever now and 3 years ago they got a new beautiful office.
And you have a bad feeling because..... one dev left 1 year ago and and another one a few weeks ago? After their big AAA was done.
Sorry, but I can't take this seriously.
I do kinda get the concern, though.
The studio released a hit and you get the concern that it's in trouble? Nah.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
meanwhile Death Stranding PC is getting review bombed. According to an italian site it's due to Cyberpunk content

Death Stranding user reviews

Metacritic aggregates music, game, tv, and movie reviews from the leading critics. Only Metacritic.com uses METASCORES, which let you know at a glance how each item was reviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.