Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Is this you asking for something Legend of Dragoon? lol

But for real, if Japan Studios next Game isn't SH i am not going to be dissapointed or anything. I was super on board for that because of Toyama but with him gone now i don't really believe in the rumors myself anymore. My only fear is that they literally have... well nothing in the pipeline right now besides a new Astro Game.
nah I know SIE Japan won't ever make a JRPG and I know LoD won't ever get revived, at most maybe the highest thing is a PSN avatar maybe way into the future. SIE Japan won't ever make an inhouse big budget JRPG, this is the reality, any belief otherwise is just make belief, regardless if SIE Japan is successful or not successful in the future.

I just want to see what SIE Japan does in the future, if they can dip their toes in bigger projects like other WWS.

If that is more AstroBot but bigger and better then good, if it is a new I.P, then good, if it is any genre they want even a horror game that is a spiritual successor to Siren and Silent Hill, then good as well.

As long as they find their groove and grow as a studio, I am okay with it and hope for it. As long as they are making and continuing their own I.Ps or rather SIE I.Ps.

I.Ps they have control over, I.Ps that by growing them they contribute to their own long term growth. This isn't about being truly "exclusive" idc if said I.Ps go on any type of platform, as long as said platform doesn't restrict development and ambition.

As long as it isn't them scaling down or being chained up to be someone else I.P work house that isn't even theirs to begin with.

I get fandoms loving franchises and wanting to see more of said franchise regardless of who is making it but I just want growth to be something that the studio fully controls for I.Ps/franchises they own, made and love. To see success in that and not waste away said prospects under some other companies I.Ps were your freedom and growth is limited.

Last edited:

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone! Just joined Era after reading the thread for awhile. Will be hanging around the PS thread for the most part. For those fortunate enough to get a PS5 for launch, what's been your favorite launch game? Demon's Souls was the first SoulsBorne game to click for me and I loved it.
Astro by far, with Demon's Souls and Miles second and third respectively.

Also, welcome! :)

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
being a work shop for another companies dead and old I.Ps, isn't investing in new ideas though 🤧

let new people head up teams, give them budget, let them create their dream games and see where it goes

regardless of the genre or if it is a new I.P or not

better to build your own properties and franchises then waste away doing someone else a favour

after they ditch you, even with the experience you'd have to grow your own franchise and its userbase from zero again, time that could've been spent on doing that in the first place instead of babysitting another company instead as if they owe you something when in reality they just want the quickest way to regain earning a ton of bucks and couldn't care less about how much love you put into their abandon franchises when deciding to move on with said success

success you could've at least tried with your own I.Ps, new or old instead
Is this you asking for something Legend of Dragoon? lol

But for real, if Japan Studios next Game isn't SH i am not going to be dissapointed or anything. I was super on board for that because of Toyama but with him gone now i don't really believe in the rumors myself anymore. My only fear is that they literally have... well nothing in the pipeline right now besides a new Astro Game.
We know that Tsutomu Kouno is directing a game at Japan Studio and it could be the project that Shuhei Yoshida said at E3 2015 that he was really excited about it. If i remember correctly he said that Japan Studio was now producing a really great project.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
New enemy?

Cactus horde.

Demonight.

Ep9nXsuW4AMl5Pm

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
We know that Tsutomu Kouno is directing a game at Japan Studio and it could be the project that Shuhei Yoshida said at E3 2015 that he was really excited about it. If i remember correctly he said that Japan Studio was now producing a really great project.
Maybe that project is cancelled? As I recall someone from Japan Studio said the project will be revealed in 2018 or 2019 but it still hasn't been revealed yet.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Sony just letting these people go. Bloodborne and just now Demons' Souls Remake are hella successful.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
So i guess there is actually no big project in the works at JS huh? Main projects from now on gonna be Astrobot and the localization of future Ghost Games?

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I WANT A FUCKING PS5 ALREADY

I CANT WAIT UNTIL MAY!

Fuck this pandemic man.

this has to be the worst console launch ever.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if Japan Studio became "Astro's studio" going forward. Probably those who disagree with the idea had the door open to leave. The studio will likely continue to support other games, as a new division just for that was created in early 2020.

At least we'll get more Astro in regular basis, I think.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Is there like conflict with the new studio head or something? It's sad to see all these people left

:(

Nicolas Doucet (Astro's Bot Director) were named head of Japan Studio earlier this year. As I said to a few posts above, it wouldn't be difficult to see the entire studio focusing on more Astro games (or that type of game, he also directed Eyepet, Playroom and etc), leaving little room for new IPs/Ideas

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I WANT A FUCKING PS5 ALREADY

I CANT WAIT UNTIL MAY!

Fuck this pandemic man.

this has to be the worst console launch ever.

I live in a small country and starting to think we won't get restock before spring (April) at earliest. After pre-orders we got no restock here for over a month so far. I want one in time for Returnal release. Sigh.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol at people thinking Bloomberg is "vindicated" now when it was a inflammatory headline to begin with. I guess, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Oct 7, 2020
Italy
Japan Studio will focus much more on Astrobot, VR and more common AAA titles from now on. Toyama hinted at it in an interview he made for his new studio. Unfortunately all the games the studio has made in recent memory have been good but commercial failures.

You can't pretend for Sony to focus where the money does not go. They'll try to create a common thread among all their studios with AAA, Single player and story driven games. The variety will come from the indie partnerships that have been great so far while the purely Japanese titles will come from partnerships with big publishers and devs there.

Oct 7, 2020
Italy
Why is Sony just letting these people go. Bloodborne and just now Demons' Souls Remake are hella successful.
Bloodborne and Demon's souls were made by From Software and Bluepoint, Japan Studio was just a support studio and you need far fewer people than you think for it. All games Japan Studio has made recently have been critical successes, but commercial failures.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm fine with SIE Japan becoming a Astro/VR & Support studio. Sony is going to need stronger first party devs working on PSVR2 with the increase competition of Oculus (can't believe we lost RAD and Sanzaru T_T).

As far as I can tell these are the only first party devs that are willing to work on VR: Insomniac (Stormland), Japan (Astro), London (Blood), Mm (Dreams VR Mode), Pixelopus (Concrete VR Mode) and Polyphony (GTS VR mode).
cover-photo-2.jpg

Time to let the JRPG dream die, its in SE/Falcom/Atlus hands now.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I'm waiting the day when PS Studios from Western/Europe to take RPG genre with Japanese aesthetics & success with it for the irony.

Any minute now...

giphy.webp

Deleted member 62769

Jan 6, 2020
Merry Christmas everyone! (We celebrate the 24th in Sweden)

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Some of you should relax a bit. Changes with new leadership are always normal. When Shu took up his previous position he also canceled several projects and a lot of talent left Sony

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm so sad Jim Ryan is destroying Japan Studio. It was one of the best aspects of playstation. The studio was kind of big 200+ developers. I can't understand they doing that.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
It's incredibly sad that Japan is so full of talent and 3rd party games from Japan are by absolute fav out there, but I couldn't care less about what happens to Japan studio. Polyphony Digital will stay running which is all I care about, besides that I honestly can't think of the last game Japan Studio made which I enjoyed. How we have had so many years of no AAA game from that studio is baffling to me, those experimental games from them just don't do it for me and I hope we do get big production value games from them in the future.

But we won't, so whatever really.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the people that left either hadn't produced a single hit critically or commercially for over a decade or were just support for Sony's second party ventures, I wouldn't be worried about Japan Studios. If you look at what they developed in house for console the past decade, you get Knack, GR2 and the Last Guardian (which took ages to be released). The latter is the only great game and even then Ueda and his creative team had already long left the company. Pupeteer was great and the people involved are still there and Gavin directed DS remake.

The young blood there also produced Astrobot and I'm sure they've got other things cooking.

People will still take the bloomberg article as gospel despite other western Sony studios constantly changing staff over the years, even the highly successful ones. Sony just launched PS5 with two great games involving Japan studio but some people will pretend its not true.

Last edited:

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
It seems pretty clear that Sony wants to develop bigger AAA games in Japan that are more focused on its western market. Toyama's games were not of this type. (Smaller games with greater creative freedom).
The Polyphony Digital workforce increase is a good indication of this.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I hate how part of resetera is now having this weird fixation with hires and lay offs(and also this whole thing of searching developers LinkedIns).
"The Iniative hires one of the artists of X game"
"Nintendo looking for a Designer for Metroid"
"Someone leaves Sony"
This is insufferable, not dismissing what this people did at the company etc etc, it's probably a bummer seeing old people leaving, but almost everyone is repleacabe, those are teams with dozens, hundrends and even thousands sometimes, like c'mon.

Last edited:

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I hate how part of resetera is now having this weird fixation with hires and lay offs(and also this whole thing of searching developers LinkedIns).
"The Iniative hires one of the artists of X game"
"Nintendo looking for a Designer for Metroid"
"Someone leaves Sony"
This is insufferable, not dismissing what this people done at the company etc etc, it's probably a bummer seeing old people leaving, but almost everyone is repleacabe, those are teams with dozens, hundrends and even thousands sometimes, like c'mon.

Yeah most of it is literally 'business as usual'. That said, there are some more senior (as in, position) people that might implicate something. Kojima leaving Konami for example.. or a hypothetical Miyamoto leaving Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.