Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Ghost for the first time on PS5 and I'm enjoying it so far, but man why tf is every single mongol archer in this game the fucking green arrow or some shit? Reloading and firing off arrows with insane speed and precision. It's pretty tilting.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Hmmm, having a strange one. I purchased Stardew Valley years ago on my main EU account. When I search for it on the store on PS5, I can't find it. When I search for it on the online store, there are two versions and I have to pay for both.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

Oct 31, 2017
They probably want to do more then function as a support studio for Sony's AAA western games

Japan Studio's glory days are long long gone

Could just be they were ready to try other things. The two who created Naughty Dog left Naughty Dog nearly two decades ago in 2004. From your normal employee to key people at the top, people leaving studios happens frequently and has for decades; it's not a new development.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Could just be they were ready to try other things. The two who created Naughty Dog left Naughty Dog nearly two decades ago in 2004. From your normal employee to key people at the top, people leaving studios happens frequently and has for decades; it's not a new development.

Can you imagine what this thread would've been like when Jason and Andy left ND at the same time? Good lord.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If I didn't know better, I could easily be convinced GoT is a cross gen title at the very least. This game always blows me away with every new environment I come across.

also the guiding wind is an incredible change for open world navigation. I actually am looking at the environment all the time instead of following icons

I wish we could get some dual sense support though. Feeling the shing of the blade during standoffs would be incredible.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sad Jim Ryan is destroying Japan Studio. It was one of the best aspects of playstation. The studio was kind of big 200+ developers. I can't understand they doing that.

How is he destroying JP studio ?
People don't want to admit but they have done shit all in 15 years .
While everyone of Sony other studios bring out hit or at least mid level stuff and get project done.
Gavin went over there to change stuff and enough did not happen .
Hopefully with this restructure and new head allow they to be better .

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I hate how part of resetera is now having this weird fixation with hires and lay offs(and also this whole thing of searching developers LinkedIns).
"The Iniative hires one of the artists of X game"
"Nintendo looking for a Designer for Metroid"
"Someone leaves Sony"
This is insufferable, not dismissing what this people did at the company etc etc, it's probably a bummer seeing old people leaving, but almost everyone is repleacabe, those are teams with dozens, hundrends and even thousands sometimes, like c'mon.
Yeah I hate this shit its weird as hell as well.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Decided I'm not waiting for whenever I get a PS5 for Ghost as I'm just going to end up buying games if I don't play something and I can manage 30 fine enough, goddamn what an opening.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Just woke up to the Toriyama news, I swear we had nothing to do with it XD

The people interpreting the departures as "They are ramping up to be a AAA studio" are jumping the shark just as much as the people worried that it's a bad omen. We just don't know either way.

Still, default optics for most people sure as hell are not "Omg, SIE Japan is ramping up for something great"

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

The people interpreting the departures as "They are ramping up to be a AAA studio" are jumping the shark just as much as the people worried that it's a bad omen. We just don't know either way.

Still, default optics for most people sure as hell are not "Omg, SIE Japan is ramping up for something great"

Truth is most did not even seem to notice what Japan studio was to tell the truth .

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Looks like SIE Japan should have no problem making Astro exclusives for both PS5 and VR, we don't have to go at each other's throats anymore 🤗

Not like there is going to be much competing over the studio's budget (that is if it's not getting slashed into oblivion)

(Inb4 Bluepoint bursts in Cool Aid Man style with a LoD remake)

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Still on the AAA/change in tactics belief.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
It worked for them for decades and it will continue to work in the future. Japan only has a few big publishers and they are not going anywhere, especially not after the Japanese government's crackdown on foreign takeovers. I think Sony have more than enough talent and key third party partners across the globe to continue to make their platform a success.
Working in the past doesn't mean it will work forever.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I just ignore posters who focus on this stuff. Thread is difficult to read at times with the amount of quotes going on that I cant see.

Personally I attribute merits of how good a game is based on how it plays overall, not to individuals working at/formally at a studio. It's a team effort always, and to think that posters on this forum seem to focus accountability for titles on individuals on how well a game is made is frankly pathetic.

huggyhomer

Dec 14, 2018
Hmmm, having a strange one. I purchased Stardew Valley years ago on my main EU account. When I search for it on the store on PS5, I can't find it. When I search for it on the online store, there are two versions and I have to pay for both.

Anyone experienced anything like this?
If I'm remembering correctly, when ConcernedApe had the publishing rights transferred back to him from Chucklefish something weird happened with the EU version and he is still having trouble publishing the game on the EU store.

Donqui

May 31, 2020
30th anniversary PS2 themed PlayStation 5 (fan made)
ps5-tema-ps2-04_jpg_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg
ps5-tema-ps2-02_jpg_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg
ps5-tema-ps2_jpg_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
30th anniversary PS2 themed PlayStation 5 (fan made)
ps5-tema-ps2-04_jpg_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg
ps5-tema-ps2-02_jpg_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg
ps5-tema-ps2_jpg_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg
That controller tho. I wonder if it would be a good move for Sony to consistently release special edition faceplates for PS5 instead of LE consoles, most ppl don't wanna have a bunch of the same console as much as just this limited time thing that looks cool. I think they could have a little success with special edition faceplates for all of their big IPs, deals with 3rd parties for faceplates, and maybe even a design your own kind of lab like MS.

Last edited:

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
This time three years ago we didn't know Asobi was a thing nor that Studio Japan were capable of making genuinely amazing 3D platformers.

There's this irrational persistent belief here that only devs you've heard of are capable of making good or interesting games.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the people that left either hadn't produced a single hit critically or commercially for over a decade or were just support for Sony's second party ventures, I wouldn't be worried about Japan Studios. If you look at what they developed in house for console the past decade, you get Knack, GR2 and the Last Guardian (which took ages to be released). The latter is the only great game and even then Ueda and his creative team had already long left the company. Pupeteer was great and the people involved are still there and Gavin directed DS remake.

The young blood there also produced Astrobot and I'm sure they've got other things cooking.

People will still take the bloomberg article as gospel despite other western Sony studios constantly changing staff over the years, even the highly successful ones. Sony just launched PS5 with two great games involving Japan studio but some people will pretend its not true.
Pretty much this.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
All the people in the credits for Astro's Playroom are still there and likely a ton of people as well. So I am fine.

If Astro can rise from said new faces or rather people who weren't the face of Japan Studio but have been there for a long time, then other I.Ps new and old can also rise as well regardless if you don't have some recognizable face leading the charge.

If anything it may lead to new ideas and more risk to prove themselves compared to the vets who mellowed down.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Fans suck at modeling and making renders, as usual. But yeah, a PS2 style of the PS5 would be nice. They can make one for the 25 years celebration of PS2.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This time three years ago we didn't know Asobi was a thing nor that Studio Japan were capable of making genuinely amazing 3D platformers.

There's this irrational persistent belief here that only devs you've heard of are capable of making good or interesting games.
Yeah and it very disrespectful l to the hundreds of other devs. I am so tired of this crap seriously it never ends in in thread its rarely every positive .

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
All the people in the credits for Astro's Playroom are still there and likely a ton of people as well. So I am fine.

If Astro can rise from said new faces or rather people who weren't the face of Japan Studio but have been there for a long time, then other I.Ps new and old can also rise as well regardless if you don't have some recognizable face leading the charge.

If anything it may lead to new ideas and more risk to prove themselves compared to the vets who mellowed down.
Yeah, it could be good. Astro Bot's been awesome and they could use some new big titles.

Another one is Gavin Moore who's been pretty productive and is still there having just done Demon's Souls with his Japan Studio team and Bluepoint. Though he's probably getting up there too in his career at this point given how long we've heard his name.

Yeah it's true that we don't know either way for sure so I guess we'll have to see, but for the time being that's what previous comments from inside like Shu had hinted at so I feel like there's more rumblings toward them being re-targeted toward attempting bigger titles with the chance of more impact than some of the doom and gloom Japan Studio's dying because some of the old team heads are leaving to create their own small studios. Which is actually another reason why I think them being tasked with targeting bigger games fits what's occurred, because otherwise they seemingly could have just stayed and continued to make smaller games with their smaller teams like they always have.

Either way, it's actually kind of surprising it's taken another 5-6 years for these bigger changes given what we heard from Allan Becker back in about 2014 when he revealed that he'd begun the process of reorganizing them a year or two earlier since before he got there there were apparently too many teams and too many projects being worked on all at once that not much was getting done.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Happy Holidays everyone! ;D
I really hope all of you are having a good time right now despite lockdown and 2020 in a whole.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
If I'm remembering correctly, when ConcernedApe had the publishing rights transferred back to him from Chucklefish something weird happened with the EU version and he is still having trouble publishing the game on the EU store.

Ah damn, that sucks but thanks for letting me know

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
If I didn't know better, I could easily be convinced GoT is a cross gen title at the very least. This game always blows me away with every new environment I come across.

also the guiding wind is an incredible change for open world navigation. I actually am looking at the environment all the time instead of following icons

I wish we could get some dual sense support though. Feeling the shing of the blade during standoffs would be incredible.
Yeah, it's kinda nuts how stunning it looks and performs.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's true that we don't know either way for sure so I guess we'll have to see, but for the time being that's what previous comments from inside like Shu had hinted at so I feel like there's more rumblings toward them being re-targeted toward attempting bigger titles with the chance of more impact than some of the doom and gloom Japan Studio's dying because some of the old team heads are leaving to create their own small studios. Which is actually another reason why I think them being tasked with targeting bigger games fits what's occurred, because otherwise they seemingly could have just stayed and continued to make smaller games with their smaller teams like they always have.

Either way, it's actually kind of surprising it's taken another 5-6 years for these bigger changes given what we heard from Allan Becker back in about 2014 when he revealed that he'd begun the process of reorganizing them a year or two earlier since before he got there there were apparently too many teams and too many projects being worked on all at once that not much was getting done.

You summed it nicely. I agree completely with this. We will just have to wait for things to manifest eventually from it, especially if such endeavors lead to new I.Ps which take even longer to manifest.

We might not even hear anything at all for 2021 which would make sense too especially with how Sony lately doesn't announce a game unless it is max a year apart from release.

Maybe others are right but if you look at this from another perspective it also points at what you're saying and imho even more so.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit, Toriyama leaving is the most concerning thing that has happened with Sony Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.