• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Good morning, PS Era. It's 8:25 AM CDT. I've been busy with my day job (yes, I do actually have a day job) the last few days, so I'm a little late making this post, but here goes.

This dude:

I am not sure where you get the 5% number. God of War is one of Sony's biggest titles. MGS5 was multiplatform. I personally do not believe we are looking at a 5% sales increase by adding the gigantic userbase of the PS4. Also to remember, GoW was originally a 2021 game, so the amount of PS5 owners is even less. I can guarantee you that Sony looked at the numbers, and this was by far the right decision from a business standpoint.

This dude has insight into Sony matters and has provided evidence to me verifying as such. Enough insight that he can hear the singing of the winter lanterns and view the lesser Amygdala. (This is just a Bloodborne joke. Not a hint at anything)

So yeah, he knows his stuff.

Carry on.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Good morning, PS Era. It's 8:25 AM CDT. I've been busy with my day job (yes, I do actually have a day job) the last few days, so I'm a little late making this post, but here goes.

This dude:

This dude has insight into Sony matters and has provided evidence to me verifying as such. Enough insight that he can hear the singing of the winter lanterns and view the lesser Amygdala. (This is just a Bloodborne joke. Not a hint at anything)

Carry on.
Welp! And he's def right it makes perfect sense.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

There was a plesiosaur (Loch Ness Monster) looking creature in the latter ends of the pre-show. Maybe that is it?

youtu.be

State of Play | Horizon Forbidden West Gameplay Reveal

Tune in from 9AM Pacific Time for a uniquely crafted countdown to the main event - starting at 2PM PT.Join Aloy as she braves the Forbidden West, a deadly fr...
seen, thank you

He mentioned the machine being very big and scary, so maybe we get to fight a larger version by the sea side lol

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
"Fortunately, we have product for people who don't want to play Horizon with Hero Lighting. It's called PS4".

Great news coming out for Horizon today :) I guess we never should have doubted the existence of a 60fps mode but it still feels damn good to have it confirmed

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

This dude:

Carry on.

Nice. So, as expected, there will most likely be a summer event from Sony.

Ashhong said:
Sony is 100% having some kind of event or presentation in the Summer. I know for a fact they are working on the GoW trailer for it. Likely June I believe

www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT19| The Returnal of Ratchet & Clank is on the Horizon (GET YOURSELF TO MARS IN POST # 14649) OT

This is still stunning. So many shots in the trailer are gorgeous as hell.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Mathijs won't confirm or deny that there are flying mounts, which should tell you a lot

The introduction of even more flying machines, like the Sunwing, have gotten players pretty excited over the idea of Aloy using them to fly. Will we be able to explore the Forbidden West by taking to the skies?

Mathijs de Jonge:
We are aware that this feature is very, very high on the wishlists of many gamers, but I cannot confirm or deny anything about this. I can only talk about what's in the actual gameplay demo that we showed.

www.hardwarezone.com.sg

Interview: Horizon Forbidden West's creators promise a highly ambitious sequel

Will Aloy finally get to fly on a machine? We talked to the creators of Horizon Forbidden West to find out.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Have they said anything about human enemy AI? Not only in Horizon, but in all Sony open world titles the enemy npc had horrible AI last gen, I assume because of the outdated CPU. I wonder if this is one of the things they could improve for the PS5 version?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

This dude:

Carry on.
Welp...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
www.videogameschronicle.com

Forget business sense, Sony’s cross-gen U-turn is disappointing for PS5’s potential | VGC

Sony’s PS4 announcements mean we’ll likely have to wait for Mark Cerny’s SSD future…

At the end of the day, this article kinda captures how I feel. I was really looking forward to games feeling different from last gen, especially since so many of last gen's games were held back by obvious design contrivances to hide loads and avoid loading screens. I've never been bothered by loading screens myself unless they're extremely extremely long and intrusive (Bloodborne at launch, for example), so the endless quest to minimize them by instead shoving repetitive and distracting "in-gameplay" elements into games to mask loads honestly makes games worse rather than better for me.

Unfortunately, it looks like by and large, we're going to be waiting a long time to see that kind of paradigm shift and the only real benefit to next-gen at this time is going to be increased graphical fidelity, which I honestly just don't get any excitement out of anymore. I'm past the point where an increase in screen resolution or texture quality has any effect on me - I need clear, demonstrable improvements in game design, game flow and WORLD design to really pique my excitement.

Sony should have been clearer that A) it would take a long time for that kind of design shift to "kick in" and that B) cross-gen would be a regular part of life even for major Sony games, rather than repeatedly springing "actually this game is also getting a PS4 version" on players in blog posts long after using "PS5 exclusive" or "we believe in generations" as a marketing thing to get one over on Xbox.

Just be honest and be clear with what your intentions and goals are, instead of angling for a quick marketing "win" against your competition. Save yourselves and your fans the headaches and the drama. It's better for everybody in the long run.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

This dude:

Carry on.
Not surprised but good to have official confirmation :)

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
I wouldn't rule Forbidden West having flying mounts because of PS4. Just Cause 4 has flying.

But it may cost a major dip in visual fidelity, pop-in or smooth frame-rate to accomplish that, and it would likely be slowed down to let the system catch up.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Are there any noticeable differences between the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game? Has this cross-generation development process proven to be limiting in any way?

Mathijs de Jonge:
I don't think the cross-generation development was limiting in any way. When we started with the concept of this game, we had so many great ideas that ended up being included - to the point that we didn't really think about hardware limitations or anything, we just wanted to design a really nice, unique experience for the player. An awesome adventure. That's how we also brainstormed all the quests and events the player is going to go through. I think that the big delta between these two consoles, apart from the 3D audio, quick loading and DualSense of course, is on the graphical side of things. On the PlayStation 5, we can add so much more detail graphically. We can see the tiny hairs on Aloy's face, for example. You can also see a ton of detail from far away.

I don't think many people notice in the demo, but you could see moss growing on the rocks. On the PlayStation 5, each individual strand of moss is rendered individually. So this machine is so powerful, and it can add so much more detail to the image. I think that's one of the biggest deltas, next to the processing power of the machine. We also use it for a specific lighting rig. This is a cinematic lighting rig that we normally only have time to use in cinematics. Because the PlayStation 5 is so much more powerful, we have it on all the time. During gameplay, there's a very high-quality rendering and lighting system on a lot. So there are all these extra features that make the game look even better.

this says a lot Here. Again most of these games designs were decided in pre-production which probably was in 2017. but they are now adding a ton of shit that not possible like moss growth, new lighting etc.

anyone expecting massive gameplay changes in these games it's no different than last gen. It takes time.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
The little hair on the skin of Aloy. In Gameinformer video they say they have a lees accurate fluid simulation on PS4. On the french interview they explain, they have part of the team dedicated to improve PS5 version.

Thats good news for ps5 owners, instead of "just" letting the horse power of the ps5 do all the work (better FPS and resolution) they are trying to improve that version as much as possible.
I imagine that will be the same for GoW and GT where there will be differences between both version other then the brute force of ps5.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Just checked this user's post history and yeah, everything he said about GoW turned out true. Also he said this:

www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT19| The Returnal of Ratchet & Clank is on the Horizon (GET YOURSELF TO MARS IN POST # 14649) OT

This is still stunning. So many shots in the trailer are gorgeous as hell.

I guess we will have a Sony event this month with GoW trailer.
I had to look it up and yea, they were also the user I talked with a few OTs back that mentioned GoW was planned for november and got delayed to spring (this was back in February) which lines up with Jason's comments about GoW's delay being made months ago.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Thats good news for ps5 owners, instead of "just" letting the horse power of the ps5 do all the work (better FPS and resolution) they are trying to improve that version as much as possible.
I imagine that will be the same for GoW and GT where there will be differences between both version other then the brute force of ps5.
Again I'll keep saying this is where them having to have a native PS5 version once the fork it they can a shitload of stuff.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
I think the most reasonable assumption is that all games will eventually be ported but the optimal time frame will be determined after a bit of experimentation. For example, releasing closer to launch generally means that you can price it higher as the game is still considered new in the mind of customers. I think we'll have to wait a bit more to find out because the next couple of years will surely be focused on backlog ports.
If the next couple of years is backlog ports and they have so far announced 1 port a year, you realize how long it would take for EVERY game to be ported?

Last edited:

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

This dude:

Carry on.
Asshong is Jim Ryan confirmed.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
If Forbidden West has flying mounts after all this crying

6SgEwqK.gif

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day, this article kinda captures how I feel. I was really looking forward to games feeling different from last gen, especially since so many of last gen's games were held back by obvious design contrivances to hide loads and avoid loading screens. I've never been bothered by loading screens myself unless they're extremely extremely long and intrusive (Bloodborne at launch, for example), so the endless quest to minimize them by instead shoving repetitive and distracting "in-gameplay" elements into games to mask loads honestly makes games worse rather than better for me.

Unfortunately, it looks like by and large, we're going to be waiting a long time to see that kind of paradigm shift and the only real benefit to next-gen at this time is going to be increased graphical fidelity, which I honestly just don't get any excitement out of anymore. I'm past the point where an increase in screen resolution or texture quality has any effect on me - I need clear, demonstrable improvements in game design, game flow and WORLD design to really pique my excitement.

Sony should have been clearer that A) it would take a long time for that kind of design shift to "kick in" and that B) cross-gen would be a regular part of life even for major Sony games, rather than repeatedly springing "actually this game is also getting a PS4 version" on players in blog posts long after using "PS5 exclusive" or "we believe in generations" as a marketing thing to get one over on Xbox.

Just be honest and be clear with what your intentions and goals are, instead of angling for a quick marketing "win" against your competition. Save yourselves and your fans the headaches and the drama. It's better for everybody in the long run.

You already have some of that with R&C but what works for R&C not going to work for all games and it will take time.
Also no system in history of console show what it can do in the early years aside from gfx .
To expect most games to really use the SSD fully in the first year or 2 was not going to happen.
We talking about 20 plus years of games design that people can throw out the window .

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Somehow i thought flying and "good" enemy AI is possible on PS4.
But maybe GTA5 just uses some kind of magic, like they did it already with the PS3 version.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
this says a lot Here. Again most of these games designs were decided in pre-production which probably was in 2017. but they are now adding a ton of shit that not possible like moss growth, new lighting etc.

anyone expecting massive gameplay changes in these games it's no different than last gen. It takes time.
The gameplay reveal told most ppl that looked at it objectively that this was gonna be the case.

And like its been stated before....I expect the same conversation when the God of War PS5 version reveal drops...."how are they gonna run this on a PS4"

Taking full advantage of the PS5 is coming, just not with God of War, HFW or GT7.

About the flying mounts....I guess we could look at Spider-Man for that, it can still happen, but will just be built around the limitations of a mechanical HDD. Spider-Man can still swing, but it coulda been faster. If that makes it I cant see it being radically different from PS4 to PS5.

I'm still amazed we are still on the SSD talk and Rift Apart is coming out next week.....thats PS5 only...doing things that seem impossible on PS4 without making some changes to the game design.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Are they really outstanding? Remember when they hyped up their May event last year and had all the insiders working crowd control.

Yeah, I think Microsoft does an amazing job with the kind of people who read ResetEra. The controlled leaks and their Twitter presence are all tailor-made to keep them in the conversation with the hardest of the hardcore. As I said previously, though, it's up for debate how much any of that actually matters.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The gameplay reveal told most ppl that looked at it objectively that this was gonna be the case.

And like its been stated before....I expect the same conversation when the God of War PS5 version reveal drops...."how are they gonna run this on a PS4"

Taking full advantage of the PS5 is coming, just not with God of War, HFW or GT7.

About the flying mounts....I guess we could look at Spider-Man for that, it can still happen, but will just be built around the limitations of a mechanical HDD. Spider-Man can still swing, but it coulda been faster. If that makes it I cant see it being radically different from PS4 to PS5.
And I will always point to these games starting pre-production at launch of the system, vs now with ALL the collective knowledge from all their studios of tricks and tips from PS4 for example the hand gliding mechanic didn't make it for the first game due to technical reasons but now it's there. That's just one example.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If the next couple of years is backlog ports and and have so far announced 1 port a year you realize how long it would take for EVERY game to be ported.

What they doing make sense we talking about 2 and 3 years old ports that selling for $50 \$40 when they $10 or $15 on PS.
I don't expect early or day 1 ports until console sales become less of a factor .

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Mathijs won't confirm or deny that there are flying mounts, which should tell you a lot

www.hardwarezone.com.sg

Interview: Horizon Forbidden West's creators promise a highly ambitious sequel

Will Aloy finally get to fly on a machine? We talked to the creators of Horizon Forbidden West to find out.
Speaking of these new traversal methods, how has the level design of this world changed to keep up with all of Aloy's new tools?

Mathijs de Jonge:
For Horizon Zero Dawn, we made an open world game because we want players to explore this world by themselves. You have options, choices to go in basically any direction you want. If you see something interesting, like a landmark, then the player is free to go to those locations and explore. This is a lot more open compared to a linear game where you're constantly pushed forward through a tunnel. That's what we did with the Killzone games, but now we want to get rid of the walls and give players freedom to explore these varied landscapes. In the first Horizon, we used a lot of the yellow climbing handholds, specifically placed by designers and artists so the player had one path to climb somewhere. For this game, we wanted to open that up more

This wasn't so clear in the State of Play, but in the open world of the Forbidden West, you can climb anywhere. You also don't have to ping the Focus all the time. As was explained, the Focus ping is only for places where the light conditions are bad. At night for example, when you cannot see climbing points immediately, you can ping it just to see more clearly. Even without the ping though, you can always climb up places. We added the glider so you can quickly go down as well, which really speeds up traversal. Now you don't have to go around mountains anymore, like in the previous game. It feels much, much more free.

Those mechanics intermingle with the rest of the game. You can also surprise enemies from above with the glider. You can even mix and match some of these mechanics as we saw in the gameplay demo, where we were using a grapple to spring into the air before switching to the glider. Instead of going further up by climbing, we also looked at ways to explore downwards - and that's why we looked into water exploration. We wanted to create a very beautiful world underneath the surface of the water, one that players would also want to explore, and that's why we added the diving mask and all the new swimming abilities, like the boost that you can use to go through currents. There is also a dodge mechanic that you can use to dodge away from machines. You can use smoke bombs in water to blind enemies and get away from them. There are more tools to use underwater as well, to help with traversal and getting around these dangerous enemies.
I recall someone felt having to ping before climbing affected gameplay, personally feel ping was to be used before engaging in a fight so you can gather info about enemies and environment.
I'm sure they'd be glad about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.