Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
The game I don't get is my favorite :(

I've actually liked ps plus quite a bit over the last year, so I don't want to complain too much about this month, but we really should have gotten Requiem too and MKX should be MK11. I think people would have been very happy with that, and not wondering what year it is like I was when I saw X.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
I've actually liked ps plus quite a bit over the last year, so I don't want to complain too much about this month, but we really should have gotten Requiem too and MKX should be MK11. I think people would have been very happy with that, and not wondering what year it is like I was when I saw X.
Yeah, I'm fine with how Plus has been this year. It's been pretty solid, so I don't really mind when we get a bad month. But when I saw Castlevania for Asia....that stings a little.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly surprised that so many Era members think this month's PS+ games are a disappointment, but at the same time the microcosm representation of the gaming audience at large has always been crap here. I haven't played multiplayer games in a long time, but getting Hell Let Loose, a hyped €39,99 game that's doing a great job on the PC, is a massive grab and will likely do big numbers with most PS+ subscribers.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I'm honestly surprised that so many Era members think this month's PS+ games are a disappointment, but at the same time the microcosm representation of the gaming audience at large has always been crap here. I haven't played multiplayer games in a long time, but getting Hell Let Loose, a hyped €39,99 game that's doing a great job on the PC, is a massive grab and will likely do big numbers with most PS+ subscribers.

It's more the ps4 games that are making it disappointing, I think. Hell Let Loose is indeed a good get, but a good chunk of plus users are still tethered to the ps4 and in comparison to the games we've been getting over the service over the last eighteen months or so, MKX is quite old (still very good, but also purchasable for about $5) and PGA is a golf game, which I'll try, but definitely has a rather niche appeal for a golf game.

I haven't personally played Hell Let Loose, but when I googled it, all I saw were positive reviews and impressions, so I'm hoping to enjoy it.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I would love to be a fly on the wall when it comes to these negotiations with studios, whether its M&A or just gaming deals. They need to make an hbo drama out of it

I want a scene of Jim ryan smashing his office phone and screaming about losing Starfield.

get-your-shit-together-gordon-ramsey.gif

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Most people are speculating Bluepoint Games. Even Serrano commented on twitter about it, expecting announcement soon.

Spreshal Nick is speculating Camouflaj.

I am speculating From Software and Netherrealm :D :D :D

Now, let's talk about games. Yesterday i finally finished Kena. What an amazing game. I can't understand why reviewers are complaining about repetitive enemies. That game had a large amount of bosses, actually more bosses than casual enemies. Animation, level design, exploration. It's a solid 9 for me.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Most people are speculating Bluepoint Games. Even Serrano commented on twitter about it, expecting announcement soon.

Now, let's talk about games. Yesterday i finally finished Kena. What an amazing game. I can't understand why reviewers are complaining about repetitive enemies. That game had a large amount of bosses, actually more bosses than casual enemies. Animation, level design, exploration. It's a solid 9 for me.

For such a short game too. I wouldn't be surprised if it has as much enemy types as some of the triple A games which are twice as long.

I'm crossing my fingers for emberlabs acquisition, that is the only studio i want to be bought, personally. I want to see what they can do with AAA budget and resources

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

The game is really really good.
But what I loved more from the game was the animation and the individual stories.
Taro story was hearthbreaking

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017

It's cool that there's a new release in there but Hell Let Loose is super niche. Not surprised that many people aren't excited about it.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
For such a short game too. I wouldn't be surprised if it has as much enemy types as some of the triple A games which are twice as long.

I'm crossing my fingers for emberlabs acquisition, that is the only studio i want to be bought, personally. I want to see what they can do with AAA budget and resources

That seems a bit early to me. It's likely Sony had an idea of the game they were getting (i.e. they thought it would be good) but it only released a week ago and unless negotiations were in place long before then I doubt we would see them sign anything soon.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
That seems a bit early to me. It's likely Sony had an idea of the game they were getting but it only released a week ago and unless negotiations were in place long before then I doubt we would see them sign anything soon.

I say that because they are probably getting a lot of offers right now. Housemarque said they had a number of buyers interested before sony pulled the trigger

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Nah make Sweet Tooth a woman if you want to see some real fireworks

Every new video I see of TLOU2 makes me feel like I was playing it wrong, haha.

Oh my God, yes. I can only imagine the thumbnails on some of the Youtube chud channels.

I actually imagine Jaffe making a video out of it lol
I guess you guys didn't beat TM2012. Sweet Tooth has a daughter that...turns into a killer clown too. I'm 100% sure Jaffe was involved with that part of the lore.

So yeah I know people hate Jaffe but he isn't an incel.

Also "switching" the gender of a long standing IP character is btw lazy. There are honest criticism in regards to it. Making ST a women would be lame. Him having a daughter follow his steps sounds better. I'd play a game with her for sure. Maybe both go on a killing spree this time. (Oh boy let's not give Sony ideas lol)

Anyways I hope we get some juicy acquisitions.

Rumor from MS they have already 2 other devs under their belt that they haven't revealed/announced.

2022 will be another bloodbath in regards to consolidation.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I say that because they are probably getting a lot of offers right now. Housemarque said they had a number of buyers interested before sony pulled the trigger

Oh yeah, I'm sure that's true. But I think that interest would mostly come now, rather than a few months ago, which is likely how long (at the least) it would take Ember to decide what they want to do and sign any sort of contract. That's why I wouldn't expect any decision on Ember anytime soon.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Oh yeah, I'm sure that's true. But I think that interest would mostly come now, rather than a few months ago, which is likely how long (at the least) it would take Ember to decide what they want to do and sign any sort of contract. That's why I wouldn't expect any decision on Ember anytime soon.

Out of the three its def the least likely. But they've already talked about utilizing the PS5 technology for its next game so it seems like this is the platform they've always wanted to be on

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I dunno if or when an acquisition may be announced or who it may be, but I've long maintained that all of these partnerships Sony has are auditions for those studios. Not just for how the game sells and reviews - those are important, but I think Sony are analyzing the studios in a variety of other ways. How efficient are they at meeting milestones? Staying within budget? How well do they interact with the rest of the PlayStation Studios and all of their back end support? What sort of fresh ideas and maybe even tech do they bring and could they add to PS?

For the studios, well of course a partnership gives them funding and a chance to build their game, but it also gives them a "taste of the good life" seeing what it's like to be a part of the PlayStation family and get the first party treatment. It lets an indie studio envision what they might be able to accomplish with such a huge backing and with so much support infrastructure behind them.

So when the stars align and both the studio and Sony are interested in sealing the deal, each party has a very deep understanding of the other so there are no surprises. It's a method I appreciate and like since I think it has a higher chance of letting the studio grow into something bigger and better, rather than fizzle out after numerous setbacks and eventually close.

redbomb6

Sep 22, 2021
The game is really really good.
But what I loved more from the game was the animation and the individual stories.
Taro story was hearthbreaking

I have mentioned this before. Kena isn't just a ps2 platformer or Zelda clone. The game is reminiscent of team ico games like shadow of the colossus and the last guardian in terms of atmosphere and world building. The puzzles are somewhat similar too. It's even somewhat clunky like those games.

The difference is that there's voice acting (I thought was mediocre) and high quality animations and actual combat. I thought the story was just alright but the world and characters were great just like in those old games. I would love to see what they could do in a sequel.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I have mentioned this before. Kena isn't just a ps2 platformer or Zelda clone. The game is reminiscent of team ico games like shadow of the colossus and the last guardian in terms of atmosphere and world building. The puzzles are somewhat similar too. It's even somewhat clunky like those games.

The difference is that there's voice acting (I thought was mediocre) and high quality animations and actual combat. I thought the story was just alright but the world and characters were great just like in those old games. I would love to see what they could do in a sequel.

I'd like to see them go full on ghibli in their next game. I'd love something open world in the same vain as Princess Mononoke.

78W.gif

I also hope they continue the trend of including PoC in their games

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, with SIE on their biggest acquisition spree ever in 2021 I do wonder what the ceiling is on this. What is their internal goal for having "enough" or will they keep going so long as suitable candidates are available and they have the available budget?

Very curious what PlayStation Studios will look like by the end of this gen with all the acquisitions, expansion of existing studios and (possible) creation of new studios.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Hmm, with SIE on their biggest acquisition spree ever in 2021 I do wonder what the ceiling is on this. What is their internal goal for having "enough" or will they keep going so long as suitable candidates are available and they have the available budget?

Very curious what PlayStation Studios will look like by the end of this gen with all the acquisitions, expansion of existing studios and (possible) creation of new studios.

23 studios 😛

Both hermen and Jim ryan expressed that they will have more 1st party stuff this gen. They want more 1st party releases and they want more diversity in games. Like streaming, i think every gaming platform is gonna emphasize their "originals" instead of relying on 3rd parties as much, owning IP is gonna be a big deal if streaming takes off and all these publishers pull their games from sony or microsoft platforms because they want their own streaming platform.

So i wouldn't be surprised if realistically they eventually ramp up the acquisitions. Not only that but they have the rest of sony proper focusing on gaming now, its similar to how microsoft is focusing on xbox this gen.

Everyone saw the explosion of gaming during teh pandemic and they want in

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria

We can just speculate. At this point all SIE's partners are possible acquisition targets:
- Bluepoint Games;
- Ember Labs;
- Lucid Games;
- Camouflaj;
- Haven;
- Deviation Games;
- Kojima Productions;

I don't mention Firewalk, because they are part of Probably Monsters.

Everything else is just speculation or dream (PlayStation actually owns Dreams, so we can dream about everything :D )

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Christopher Jufge

Its weird that they still dropped a 2021 date despite going through Judge's leave and COVID. Sony must have really thought that they could have still made the date.
Which means that they may not be too far behind, could be a Summer drop but Ragnarok's theme would fit so well with a Fall release too.

We can just speculate. At this point all SIE's partners are possible acquisition targets:
- Bluepoint Games;
- Ember Labs;
- Lucid Games;
- Camouflaj;
- Haven;
- Deviation Games;
- Kojima Productions;

I don't mention Firewalk, because they are part of Probably Monsters.

Everything else is just speculation or dream (PlayStation actually owns Dreams, so we can dream about everything :D )
There's also Arrowhead (Helldivers)

And if they are serious about VR (and want to avoid Facebook to swoop in for more devs), there's also:
-Impulse Gear (Farpoint)
-Polyarc (Moss)
-First Contact (Firewall)

Honestly I think they have a pretty good hold right now. Is only the VR side that's looking a bit lightweight in terms of devs.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see them go full on ghibli in their next game. I'd love something open world in the same vain as Princess Mononoke.

78W.gif

I also hope they continue the trend of including PoC in their games

Aren't the studio heads a pair of black guys - I think maybe brothers? Yeah, so I would hope too that having non-white protagonists would be a priority in future games. Kena feels like such an interesting peep into another culture outside of the usual videogame fare.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
I am more and more convinced that Sony will do another big showcase in early December (Maybe a PS Experience).
I think they have a lot more ready to show: Bluepoint, Arrowhead, Kojima, Tlou Factions, more Horizon 2, GT7 and GoW R content...

Status
Not open for further replies.