• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Also: Points for anyone who knows the Blood and Truth (?) guy's name in the banner without looking it up. I have no idea.

Uh, Blood McTruthBlood?

I'm hoping that Pixel Opus being removed means that what they're working on is getting ready to be revealed. I'm looking forward to their next project! Concrete Genie was so much fun, and I'm glad I finally sat down and beat it about a year ago, i think, after it being in my backlog for so long!

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Maybe I'm crazy but I don't see Sony going for a Kojima Productions acquisition. The dude is almost 60. He's got, what, like maybe 2 to 3 (at most) AAA dev cycles in front of him before he's into retirement age. What is KojiPro to Sony longer down the line when lots of fans have articulated very clearly that they don't want other people touching or messing with his stuff? That, and Sony already has Death Stranding. Konami isn't going to sell Metal Gear.

Seems like that money would be better suited going to a publisher like Capcom that has a bank of IP, if a big acquisition is in order.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe I'm crazy but I don't see Sony going for a Kojima Productions acquisition. The dude is almost 60. He's got, what, like maybe 2 to 3 (at most) AAA dev cycles in front of him before he's into retirement age. What is KojiPro to Sony longer down the line when lots of fans have articulated very clearly that they don't want other people touching or messing with his stuff? That, and Sony already has Death Stranding. Konami isn't going to sell Metal Gear.

Seems like that money would be better suited going to a publisher like Capcom that has a bank of IP, if a big acquisition is in order.
As always, a game studio is more than than the director.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
These are some epic (excuse the pun) partnerships but I had no idea unreal was used in the Mandalorian. That TV show is a visual spectacle. This deal is starting to look a lot more strategic than it did at first glance.

Yeah, without it, the StageCraft tech (the video wall) wouldn't work, as Unreal is rendered in real-time. ILM is obviously used to needing things to render for hours (or longer... much, much longer). By being real-time, the virtual sets can be brought up, altered, etc. in the blink of an eye. Thor: Love and Thunder and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania are both using it. Fun little fact, Takia Waititi and Peyton Reed, directors of those aforementioned movies, also directed episodes of The Mandalorian. So, they're already familiar with the tech.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
No problem

Head: White Mask
Chest: Twinned Armor
Arms: Bull-Goat Gauntlets
Legs: Bull-Goat Greaves

Talisman 1: Erdtree's Favor +2
Talisman 2: Dragoncrest Shield Talisman +1
Talisman 3: Lord of Blood's Exultation
Talisman 4: Rotten Winged Sword Insignia

Thank you! I'm gonna look and see what I got. i don't think i have the white mask, bull-goat gauntlets, and bull-goat greaves, but i believe i have all of those talismans, and i have the twinned armor already!

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh

This. Sony needs to secure bigger IP and MS will not stop. They've already lost Doom, ES, Fallout, Wolfenstein, Diablo, and many more. Even if they keep them multiplat like Destiny they should absolutely try and get a square or capcom because MS has shown it doesn't matter if the games are all more associated with your platform they will take it away. If another big IP publisher goes the MS route Sony just won't have the mainstays to compete anymore.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Why is there a Liverpool office? Publishing?

Toumari already answered. But there's a big game dev scene in the north west of England with a lot of places like Manchester and Cheshire nearby Liverpool making it a natural spot for all of this. Plus Sony have had a presence in Liverpool for years going back to the Psygnosis days.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm two years late but here we go.
IMG-20220413-101643587-HDR.jpg

Enjoy dude. I started a couple of weeks ago and I'm near the end now. It has been a crazy journey and an incredibly good game. I hope you enjoy!

Det

Jul 30, 2020
That's awesome. But needs more plants and colour. Some cool parts to this office. I could never imagine gyming at work though.

My old job when I was office based had a gym. It was quite handy and saved me time; usually went after knocking off for the day to skip the worst of rush-hour whilst getting a workout in. Only got home about 20mins later than I would have otherwise due to avoiding rush hour productively.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

One thing to keep in mind is that with or without Kojima, KojiPro is one of the only AAA capable Japanese developers not under Capcom, Square, or Nintendo. Whether or not Kojima stays on, it's worth noting that they've shown with Death Stranding that they can ship a big budget, technically proficient game in a reasonable time frame. That isn't something particularly common in the Japanese dev scene and you can't really argue that it's all Kojima.

Now, as for why Kojima might sell up:
- if he cares about his employees then he won't want to disband the company when he retires. He'll want them set up somewhere they can keep going without him.
- He's always wanted to make movies so access to PS Productions and potentially SPE could appeal to him.

That isn't to say I think he's selling, just that there's plenty of reasons that kind of deal could feasibly happen. It would also be relatively cheap, in theory a few hundred mill at most, and wouldn't prevent them making bigger purchase in addition to.

Last edited:

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Damn lol I love the combat in Horizon FW but these arena challenges really are something. I'm still in the beginning but it's rough already.

"Wear armor thats weak against the slitherfang, and here's some weak weapons" is not fun. It would be okay if the damn thing didnt cost you so much money just to try.
Getting the slitherfangs plama cannisters to pop out, like how much damage do i have to do on the caps for those things to pop out lol

Fighting machines out in the world feels much more straightforward, smooth, and fun. TBF I'm probably not going in with the right strategy but still: whole arena doesn't seem worth it lol

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017

Same thing could have been said with Naughty Dog founders, they retired and still Naughty Dog went on to make amazing games without them.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Well, you are right but in case of Kojima Productions I think Kojima being there as an author is important factor. If Kojima retires you are left with Productions 🤔

if Sony would ever acquire them, the name Kojima Productions would stick with Sony.

And honestly, i was in the same mindset that Kojima Productions without Hideo Kojima would make little sense in the future, but after thinking more about it, i think it's the better option than building a new japanese studio from the ground up. (which is far riskier)
You would have a AAA experience japanese Studio with a name and legacy behind it + all the talent (and i am sure Hideo Kojima would want to make sure that the studio with his name continues to be successful in the future)

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
Druckmann been an edgelord for a long time.

Then what does that make the global film industry?

Yeah, without it, the StageCraft tech (the video wall) wouldn't work, as Unreal is rendered in real-time. ILM is obviously used to needing things to render for hours (or longer... much, much longer). By being real-time, the virtual sets can be brought up, altered, etc. in the blink of an eye. Thor: Love and Thunder and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania are both using it. Fun little fact, Takia Waititi and Peyton Reed, directors of those aforementioned movies, also directed episodes of The Mandalorian. So, they're already familiar with the tech.

I'm not ashamed to say that I didn't know unreal was that integral. I never paid much attention to the engine beyond our hobby.

I appreciate the info.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
if Sony would ever acquire them, the name Kojima Productions would stick with Sony.

And honestly, i was in the same mindset that Kojima Productions without Hideo Kojima would make little sense in the future, but after thinking more about it, i think it's the better option than building a new japanese studio from the ground up. (which is far riskier)
You would have a AAA experience japanese Studio with a name and legacy behind it + all the talent (and i am sure Hideo Kojima would want to make sure that the studio with his name continues to be successful in the future)

I don't think it's worth it. The studio is only notable because of the guy at the front of it. And I'm sure a fair few people would bail the second Kojima retires.

Like why buy a studio known ONLY for the games of one creator if that one creator's just gonna leave? "Kojima Productions, Minus The One Person Anyone Cares About" just feels wasteful. They have no important IP, they have no franchises they can shepherd, they're just a font for Kojima's creative whims.

If Kojima can get his team to put out some games WITHOUT HIM before he leaves that can prove they have what it takes, things might change, but right now, where the entire studio's output hinges on him? No.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure Kojima will find a successor in due time.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's worth it. The studio is only notable because of the guy at the front of it. And I'm sure a fair few people would bail the second Kojima retires.

Like why buy a studio known ONLY for the games of one creator if that one creator's just gonna leave? "Kojima Productions, Minus The One Person Anyone Cares About" just feels wasteful. They have no important IP, they have no franchises they can shepherd, they're just a font for Kojima's creative whims.

If Kojima can get his team to put out some games WITHOUT HIM before he leaves that can prove they have what it takes, things might change, but right now, where the entire studio's output hinges on him? No.

because the Studio is full of talented people from Konami/the previous Kojima Productions that followed Kojima.
It's a established japanese Studio with Experience on AAA Games and working together with Sony (PlayStation Collaborations, Network, VASG)
Of course people might bail, others will join. But i don't think the Studio would fall apart the moment Kojima retires.
It makes more sense to invest in this team and help them to grow bigger and set the foundation for the future than starting a Studio from zero in a struggling japanese labour market .
I am sure Kojima would wan't to ensure that his legacy will go on if he ever agress to a PlayStation acquisition, by installing the next Director(s) who are in line with his type of games.

Not saying Sony will/should acquire Kojima Productions, or that it's likely. I just don't believe the argument Kojima Productions without Hideo Kojima is nothing worth holds weight.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

But absent leadership, it's all for naught. Japan Studio had plenty of talent and AAA experience and look at what all of that amounted to.

I think it'll be difficult for someone to really share a similar vision for games as Kojima. I mean, I don't care about Death Stranding, but it's a uniquely Kojima game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
because the Studio is full of talented people from Konami/the previous Kojima Productions that followed Kojima.
It's a established japanese Studio with Experience on AAA Games and working together with Sony (PlayStation Collaborations, Network, VASG)
Of course people might bail, others will join. But i don't think the Studio would fall apart the moment Kojima retires.
It makes more sense to invest in this team and help them to grow bigger and set the foundation for the future than starting a Studio from zero in a struggling japanese labour market .
I am sure Kojima would wan't to ensure that his legacy will go on if he ever agress to a PlayStation acquisition, by installing the next Director(s) who are in line with his type of games.

Not saying Sony will/should acquire Kojima Productions, or that it's likely. I just don't believe the argument Kojima Productions without Hideo Kojima is nothing worth holds weight.

I honestly kind of doubt it. Kojima has never shown much interest or talent in elevating and empowering his teams to the point they can function without him. Every time he tried during the Konami years, he decided they weren't doing a good job and pulled rank to install himself as leader again.

Based on his history, I firmly believe that when he's ready to retire, he'll just be gone. He'd probably ask Sony to take his name off the studio, too - he's not gonna sell them his name and likeness.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
But absent leadership, it's all for naught. Japan Studio had plenty of talent and AAA experience and look at what all of that amounted to.

I think it'll be difficult for someone to really share a similar vision for games as Kojima. I mean, I don't care about Death Stranding, but it's a uniquely Kojima game.

Japan Studio always felt like some sort of Indie/house mini publisher for the japanese market with tons of games in development before Becker came. I wouldn't call them a studio focused on AAA Games. I also assume they failed to shift the studio structure into a more streamlined AAA Studio like the western ones (+ their games not moving the needle in Japan) and Sony decided to pull the plug and start fresh with Team Asobi.

And yes you will not replace Kojima, but that doesn't mean that a talented Studio can't do shit without him.

my point is: if Kojima would retire today, KJP would still be a much safer bet to establish a studio in the japanese market than building a complete new studio.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly kind of doubt it. Kojima has never shown much interest or talent in elevating and empowering his teams to the point they can function without him. Every time he tried during the Konami years, he decided they weren't doing a good job and pulled rank to install himself as leader again.

Based on his history, I firmly believe that when he's ready to retire, he'll just be gone. He'd probably ask Sony to take his name off the studio, too - he's not gonna sell them his name and likeness.
Well, I doubt Sony would need to break bank to get them so I see no issue with this. Take a gamble on him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Bungie still independent

Why would they buy Kojima's team and give him the same deal they gave Bungie? What's in it for Sony there? Bungie is an absolutely massive team with multiple franchises in the works and a large amount of experience in the GaaS field, with ambitions of expanding into multimedia. They're going to bring in a shitload of money for Sony (including pulling in money from other platforms) and help them get better at things they're having trouble breaking into.

By comparison, what would be the upside for Sony of doing that with Kojima?

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
So Sony allowed to publish Kojima the game himself on PC? They didn't publish it there.

Death Stranding deal was made with Andrew House, who saw PC as competition. At that point Sony wasn't interested in putting their games on PC so Kojima made a publishing deal with 505 Games instead.

PC version was likely a requirement from Kojima to sign the deal.

Damn lol I love the combat in Horizon FW but these arena challenges really are something. I'm still in the beginning but it's rough already.

"Wear armor thats weak against the slitherfang, and here's some weak weapons" is not fun. It would be okay if the damn thing didnt cost you so much money just to try.
Getting the slitherfangs plama cannisters to pop out, like how much damage do i have to do on the caps for those things to pop out lol

Fighting machines out in the world feels much more straightforward, smooth, and fun. TBF I'm probably not going in with the right strategy but still: whole arena doesn't seem worth it lol

It's awful.

By far my biggest disappointment with the game, I was really looking forward to it.

ryambo

Jan 31, 2022
Scotland
With all this talk about Kojima Pro, I just personally hope we see something with some kind of PSVR2 use in this next project.
I think he could really push that tech to interesting places horror or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.