• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I have...

• A PlayStation and no PlayStation Plus

Votes: 209 13.9%
  • A PlayStation with PlayStation Plus Essential

Votes: 308 20.4%
  • A PlayStation with PlayStation Plus Extra

Votes: 313 20.8%
  • A PlayStation with PlayStation Plus Premium

Votes: 532 35.3%
  • No PlayStation: The Dark World

Votes: 145 9.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Considering they were very against the Activision deal which hangs on a thread because of cloud gaming concerns.
A case they're no longer a part of? Is Sony living this rent free rn that a CEO talking about their cloud future immediately has people going to an acquisition they're no longer involved in?

Sheesh

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
A case they're no longer a part of? Is Sony living this rent free rn that a CEO talking about their cloud future immediately has people going to an acquisition they're no longer involved in?

Sheesh
I mean I don't want to make this the acquisition thread but it is notable when one of the biggest opponents of the deal as well as the largest player in console gaming basically disagrees with the CMA as well.

This thread and many other parts of the internet literally speculated that Sony was actually hiding a bunch of games because they didn't want to seem to be aggressive during the acquisition. So I do think Sony talking about their "future" is indeed relevant to such deal.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Well, their opposition stemed from potentially losing Activision-Blizzard content, namely Call of Duty. I don't recall them having any issues with cloud usage, which makes sense since they're not as heavily invested in that.
I don't disagree that they likely don't really have an issue with cloud gaming. I'm just saying it's funny because cloud is why the deal is most likely to die and Sony is basically saying cloud isn't that big of a deal and it won't be for a while.

Rintaro_kyoka

Aug 4, 2022
What's interesting about the timing?
People seems to forget that Kenichiro Yoshida said that he wanted to make PS games available outside of the console which is a niche market compared to others (Which make the people hating on Jim Ryan for PC initiative even dumber because it would have happened no matter who was in charge of SIE) years ago, this news is still in line with his intent back then this is not surprising.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I don't want to make this the acquisition thread but it is notable when one of the biggest opponents of the deal as well as the largest player in console gaming basically disagrees with the CMA as well.

This thread and many other parts of the internet literally speculated that Sony was actually hiding a bunch of games because they didn't want to seem to be aggressive during the acquisition. So I do think Sony talking about their "future" is indeed relevant to such deal.
Seems like you were already halfway there by how quickly you responded about the deal in regards to what's interesting about the timing.
giphy.webp

People seems to forget that Kenichiro Yoshida said that he wanted to make PS games available outside of the console which is a niche market compared to others (Which make the people hating on Jim Ryan for PC initiative even dumber because it would have happened no matter who was in charge of SIE), this news is still in line with his intent back then this is not surprising.
That's the normal way to think about it.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I don't disagree that they likely don't really have an issue with cloud gaming. I'm just saying it's funny because cloud is why the deal is most likely to die and Sony is basically saying cloud isn't that big of a deal and it won't be for a while.
Cloud gaming is a separate market to Sony though, thus it's not much of a threat to consoles in that regard, which is what the CMA found out as well. In context, it makes a lot of sense why Sony wouldn't feel threatened by cloud. They're not saying it's not a big deal at all. They're just saying it's not a threat to PlayStation and likely won't be for some time.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Seems like you were already halfway there by how quickly you responded about the deal in regards to what's interesting about the timing.
giphy.webp
It is indeed interesting timing considering the implications of cloud elsewhere in the gaming industry. You getting defensive over the comment and me explaining isn't proof of anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering they were very against the Activision deal which hangs on a thread because of cloud gaming concerns.

Clearly they know Concord is a CoD killer and don't care about the deal anymore.

Or not everything is in response to the deal unless you chose to view it that way. He's literally just saying it's not a threat to consoles currently because of technological hurdles. That's not even disagreeing with what the CMA's argument is IIRC.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It is indeed interesting timing considering the implications of cloud elsewhere in the gaming industry. You getting defensive over the comment and me explaining isn't proof of anything.
Not getting defensive over anything lol. Just noticing a similar mindset that lead to vivftp's thread on the same article getting bombarded with lazy drive-by posts.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Not getting defensive over anything lol. Just noticing a similar mindset that lead to vivftp's thread on the same article getting bombarded with lazy drive-by posts.
The mindset that the largest deal in gaming history is being hung by a string to cloud gaming and thinking it's interesting that Sony chief is coming out saying cloud gaming isn't a threat? Is this like a massive leap to get to that mindset?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Sony's opposition to the Activision Deal was in relation to them as a console platform. They've barely tipped their little toe in the streaming business and that article just states that they're will big hurdles if they want to take a dip.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The mindset that the largest deal in gaming history is being hung by a string to cloud gaming and thinking it's interesting that Sony chief is coming out saying cloud gaming isn't a threat? Is this like a massive leap to get to that mindset?
To attach the Sony CEO's comments explaining their plans and processes on how they want to tackle cloud gaming to a deal they're no longer involved in is a bit of a leap yeah. Though that leap can easily be made if your mindset heavily revolves around said deal they're no longer involved in, in which case, that's just being rent free.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I think you're misinterpreting the CMA's arguments lol. Cloud gaming is a relatively nascent market that has tons of room for growth. MS has a huge cloud infrastructure via Azure (one of the biggest in the world). They have Xbox Game Pass, a very easily accessible method of cloud gaming for millions of consumers that will rapidly expand as the years go on. ABK giving them tons of content on an already big assortment of studios. CMA is worried this might result in MS getting a monopoly in cloud gaming so they're pumping the breaks on the deal. Sony being unfazed by cloud gaming with regards to it being a threat doesn't really contradict what the CMA is saying.

Anyway, that's all I really want to say about the acquisition in a non-acquisition thread. I wouldn't read too much into this comment from the Sony chief imo.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
To attach the Sony CEO's comments explaining their plans and processes on how they want to tackle cloud gaming to a deal they're no longer involved in is a bit of a leap yeah. Though that leap can easily be made if your mindset heavily revolves around said deal they're no longer involved of in which case, that's just being rent free.
I feel like a common sentiment I saw around the PlayStation community was that the real reason Sony didn't have an event last year was because they didn't want to seem aggressive to regulators with a ton of third party exclusives lol. This is the biggest deal in gaming history, I don't see how having the chief of one of the biggest gaming companies talking about a particular thing that is also adjacent to the deal is a massive leap. Just comes off as defensive to think that, rather than thinking vice versa is "rent free".

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a common sentiment I saw around the PlayStation community was that the real reason Sony didn't have an event last year was because they didn't want to seem aggressive with a ton of third party exclusives.
Grubb already said they didn't do an event last year because their teams were not ready to show though that didn't stop them from having some solid SoPs. I'm only responding to this part though as I'd rather this thread not get shat up any more than it needs to with acquisition talk Sony no longer has an involvement in.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Grubb already said they didn't do an event last year because their teams were not ready to show though that didn't stop them from having some solid SoPs. I'm only responding to this part though as I'd rather this thread not get shat up any more than it needs to with acquisition talk Sony no longer has an involvement in.
That's fine. Just wanted to point out that even in the article, the last five paragraphs are literally about the deal. Sony chief is rent free for FT too I guess?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's fine. Just wanted to point out that even in the article, the last five paragraphs are literally about the deal. Sony chief is rent free for FT too I guess?
Because FT asked about how the deal would impact Sony cause y'know, they did have a large involvement at one point raising a stink about console gaming, which Yoshida declined to comment on. This just feels like grasping at straws at this point.

It's probably best for the OT if you stop derailing with this acquisition talk when there's a dedicated thread for it cause I'm not gonna engage in it beyond this reply.

Will they announce the new PS5 Digital Edition at a showcase or a blogpost and/or trailer?
Blog post after FF16 cools down leading up to Spider-Man 2 for sure.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
^ UC4's combat encounters felt to me like ND were sorta affected by the criticism that Nate was a mass murderer. The encounters were smaller and more focused, and I think I enjoyed the 'realism' a lot more. What's funny though is that a Joseph Anderson video essay pointed out how in UC4 in particular Nate nearly always starts off the encounters killing people who are usually just there to excavate something lol.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
^ UC4's combat encounters felt to me like ND were sorta affected by the criticism that Nate was a mass murderer. The encounters were smaller and more focused, and I think I enjoyed the 'realism' a lot more. What's funny though is that a Joseph Anderson video essay pointed out how in UC4 in particular Nate nearly always starts off the encounters killing people who are usually just there to excavate something lol.
Part of it's just the obvious TLoU design philosophy bleeding in, the encounters were a lot more structured so you didn't need endless goons, except for a couple of spots in the game.

Although it was reported that Amy's initial design pitch was to have Nate not pick up a gun for like half the game or something because the criticism had gotten to her. Who knows how much of that survived.

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
Isn't that because it's from the remaster? I don't recall it being so good on the PS4.
It might be from the remaster but smoke effects are as good as the one you see here on PS4. Can't forget how awesome this game looked while I was playing it for the first time. I think they only changed resolution, shadow quality, FPS and draw distance for the remaster keeping everything else same.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Speaking of mass murderers, the biggest body count in gaming has to be Kiryu Kazuma lol. I've been playing Yakuza and he easily maims more people than Nate/Spidey/Batman/Jin.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Well, canonically speaking, the Dragon of Dojima never killed anyone, that's part of his legend.

It's also debatable.
Yeah the katana I just pushed into someone's stomach will only tickle them.

It's just a, ridiculous, conceit of the world same as Nate not caring about killing thugs or Batman or a Jedi never killing anyone.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
This most bizzare version of this action movie conceit is still Batman's tank in Arkham Knight. What were you thinking Rocksteady?

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Not going to link the tweet here. But saw a tweet with a clip from Jaffe's podcast with Geoff hinting at Twisted Metal tv show trailer might be at SGF.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Part of it's just the obvious TLoU design philosophy bleeding in, the encounters were a lot more structured so you didn't need endless goons, except for a couple of spots in the game.

Although it was reported that Amy's initial design pitch was to have Nate not pick up a gun for like half the game or something because the criticism had gotten to her. Who knows how much of that survived.
The Amy Hennig version of Uncharted 4 is so fascinating to me. As you say, they were apparently planning for a huge chunk of the game to not feature any gun combat at all, they were totally revamping the climbing system to include a stamina system so that Drake could fall to his death, etc. It sounded like they were going back to the drawing board and revamping some of the fundamental concepts of Uncharted.

Maybe it was a complete disaster which is why they ultimately reverted to doing a traditional, iterative sequel, but I'd love to learn more about the original version.

Status
Not open for further replies.