• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will buy Final Fantasy XVI

• Yes (at launch)

Votes: 447 65.0%
  • Yes (at a later date)

Votes: 102 14.8%
  • Maybe (waiting for reviews and impressions)

Votes: 59 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 80 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
or Sci-fi like Cowboy Bebop. European fantasy has been done a lot I agree, just take the coolest things about it (Orges/Swords/Dragons/Lush Greenery) and keep it moving lol.

I'm just so sick of sci-fi settings already. This generation seems to be the decade of boring, empty games about spaceships and I haven't felt enthusiastic about anything that's been revealed in that genre so far.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I am personally seriously considering wait for previews/reviews for Part III in terms of contents in/outside of single-player. 🙄🤷

Lengthy emotional heavy game with just traditional single-player from beginning to the end like Part II that's already dragged in some parts (in my opinion) are not my priority anymore, considering not much variety in the endgame between stealth/aggressive gameplay again & again.

Since probably it won't have any multiplayer (again) as the next standalone multiplayer still being prepared because of the reassessment, I am hoping for more content varieties.

I am sure top studio like Naughty Dog could think of some fun activities they could create for Part III aside of main story such as, maybe, fighting hordes of mushroom zombies solo/co-op with high score leaderboards or horse racing or shooting range or poker/cards or anything. 🙄🤷🙏

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Barring a random State of Play popping up, the next event to keep an eye on should be the Destiny 2 Showcase on August 22nd. With The Final Shape being the end of the light/dark saga it could be quite exciting indeed.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a random State of Play pop up sometime this month. It's spaced far enough away from the May Showcase. If we are getting a second Showcase this year then it'd also be spaced far enough away from that.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I'm just so sick of sci-fi settings already. This generation seems to be the decade of boring, empty games about spaceships and I haven't felt enthusiastic about anything that's been revealed in that genre so far.
Not even Starfield??? lol

Honestly, I think it's just about execution. You can be as imaginative as you want in any setting. Like One Piece is supposed to be Earth right? But you have entire kingdoms of tiny fairies, sky islands, candy lands, and all types of crazy stuff.

If you can't be imaginative in space, then it's not going to be a good game lol.

I think one thing that holds the setting from being more unique is the idea of humanity's future in space is a foregone conclusion. Writers tend to apply today's problems in a projected future setting. The more we learn about space and the universe, the more endless and unapproachable it feels IMO. Earth has so much canvas for storytelling as is, and we just go from planet to planet like everything revolves around human conflict, so that's all you find a gazillion miles into space.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Barring a random State of Play popping up, the next event to keep an eye on should be the Destiny 2 Showcase on August 22nd. With The Final Shape being the end of the light/dark saga it could be quite exciting indeed.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a random State of Play pop up sometime this month. It's spaced far enough away from the May Showcase. If we are getting a second Showcase this year then it'd also be spaced far enough away from that.
Getting an August/September State of Play wouldn't be surprising to me. Have another big marketing blitz for Spider-Man in September and give more details on Helldivers 2 (I assume this will release after SM2). I will definitely sleep on the Destiny 2 Showcase lol. Have no interest in the lore of that IP.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Getting an August/September State of Play wouldn't be surprising to me. Have another big marketing blitz for Spider-Man in September and give more details on Helldivers 2 (I assume this will release after SM2). I will definitely sleep on the Destiny 2 Showcase lol. Have no interest in the lore of that IP.

Nonono, you mean a September Showcase 😉
#TeamSecondShowcase2023!

Ahh, there we go! State of Play incoming! 😄

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021
Excited for it despite the state Destiny 2 is currently in. Big moment in time for the game

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Talking of ND releases, what do you think happened to the rumoured Part II Director's Cut? Did it ever really exist or are they waiting to coincide with whenever they release the MP, or maybe even the eventual PC release?

So place your bets, whose new game gets a reveal first - Cory or Neil? Both very well could be a new IP from their respective studios. Corys last game shipped in 2018 and Neils last game shipped in 2020. ND is definitely multi-project now and Santa Monica seems to be as well.

My guess? They both get a reveal at the same event - probably next year.
Cory. In addition to shipping a game earlier, he hasn't also been involved in writing/producing a TV series.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
Most sci-fi in games is kinda lame and samey. I feel like fantasy has a much more wide berth of expression going on at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I love both genres, but to me sci-fi is much more memorable in literature.

I never played a game that evoked the works of Tchaikovsky, Iain Banks, Ann Leckie or Yoon Ha Lee.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Talking of ND releases, what do you think happened to the rumoured Part II Director's Cut? Did it ever really exist or are they waiting to coincide with whenever they release the MP, or maybe even the eventual PC release?

It'll happen, the only question is "when".

Most sci-fi in games is kinda lame and samey. I feel like fantasy has a much more wide berth of expression going on at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I love both genres, but to me sci-fi is much more memorable in literature.

I never played a game that evoked the works of Tchaikovsky, Iain Banks, Ann Leckie or Yoon Ha Lee.

Pretty much. Basically all video game sci-fi just looks the same. None of it is anywhere near as abstract or as genre-bending as the best sci-fi books tend to be. Basically all of it is just "we really like Aliens" or "we really like Star Trek".

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
So place your bets, whose new game gets a reveal first - Cory or Neil? Both very well could be a new IP from their respective studios. Corys last game shipped in 2018 and Neils last game shipped in 2020. ND is definitely multi-project now and Santa Monica seems to be as well.

My guess? They both get a reveal at the same event - probably next year.
Cory's game will be revealed first next year and Neil will be announce in 2025 with a release date in 2026.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
An Uncharted 1 Remake sounds infinitely more appealing to me than TLOU3.
Depends on what kind of 'Remake' it'll have, if it's exist someday.

If it's a full fledged like VII Remake/RE4 2023 for example, then I all up for it.

If it's just like Part I...

giphy.webp

I'll save my money & my YouTube at 4K 60fps is ready.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Tom Henderson originally mentioned hearing about it early last year. More recently he noted he hasn't heard anything about it lately. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen though. TLOU Part 2 doesn't have a PC release as of yet and it's HIGHLY probable that ND will release that closer to the second season of the HBO show, just like they did with Part 1. If there's a PC version, that means there will be an enhanced PS5 version too. Whether they call it a remaster/remake/directors cut though, is anyones guess.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, another place your bets. Which will we see a new trailer of first? Project Awakening or Wild?

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
I wonder where GoT2 will be announced. The supposed second showcase or a random State of Play as a "one more thing"?

Cannot wait to see how it looks like on PS5 hardware.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
I want both a new Uncharted (ideally with Cassie Drake as lead) and Part III. The only thing I have been for a long time and remain tired of is open world games. And people that are overly opinionated and actually impossible to satisfy.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I want both a new Uncharted (ideally with Cassie Drake as lead) and Part III. The only thing I have been for a long time and remain tired of is open world games. And people that are overly opinionated and actually impossible to satisfy.
Very done with open world.

But I want ND to move on from UC and TLOU.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Probably in the minority but I kind of don't want another Uncharted or TLOU. Would love something else from ND. I still think they'd be excellent at Survival Horror. A heavy narrative focused survival horror game would be a dream

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Probably in the minority but I kind of don't want another Uncharted or TLOU. Would love something else from ND. I still think they'd be excellent at Survival Horror. A heavy narrative focused survival horror game would be a dream
ND actually could make a killer horror game ngl. They flirted with horror in the TLOU series but it's mostly an apocalyptic survival action game with horror elements to it.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/vaccaro3d/status/1663653922651901952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1663653922651901952%7Ctwgr%5Eb648f104f4bcad17ef5248d1425cdfb081824fa0%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fvizioneck.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D1877.915

I think this is relevant to the discussion.

Full production for most games is around 2 years.

Naughty Dog can probably reasonably have three teams dedicated to pre production, and have a more steady release cycle going forward.

And Cory's game very well be done sooner than we think.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

View: https://twitter.com/vaccaro3d/status/1663653922651901952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1663653922651901952%7Ctwgr%5Eb648f104f4bcad17ef5248d1425cdfb081824fa0%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fvizioneck.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D1877.915

I think this is relevant to the discussion.

Full production for most games is around 2 years.

Naughty Dog can probably reasonably have three teams dedicated to pre production, and have a more steady release cycle going forward.

And Cory's game very well be done sooner than we think.

Yeah I'm pretty confident Cory's game is a 2025 release at the latest with the ND new IP in 2026.