• I have nothing left except Spider-Man

Votes: 147 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
So whats everyone playing this weekend?

Going to continue my journey in 13 Sentinels, about half way through now.
Hoping to make some good progress this weekend.

Finishing NG+ in Miles Morales. While the gameplay is a definite refinement and step up from SM1 the story is such a downgrade, especially the developments in the latter half that for me even undermine Miles as a character himself. Phin, Kreiger, even Uncle Aaron just came across as flat and underdeveloped compared to Octavius, Li, Sable and Osborn. Ultimately it stopped what they were attempting with the redemption arcs from working. I wish they'd left that stuff to the side and focused more on the Harlem sidequests.

Genshin Impact - As always, I'll try and do the first part of the new main quest that were added in 4.1, some exploring, some sidequests.

Samurai Warriors 5 - finally unlocked all the characters, its a long road to completion but I play a stage or two every day or so and chip away at it.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon - in chapter 10, just re-orientating myself back into it after taking a break for a while.

Crisis Core - I'm nearing the end of the story, but still have a tonne of missions to do. Need to finish this one so I can move onto Intergrade to get that finished ready for Rebirth.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
Ok, so how good is Spider-Man Remastered? :o

Been playing this these past few days and it's so much fun. Just started Act 3 and hoooo boy this was fun. Just swinging through town, beating down criminals and Sable fuckers :D

Gonna focus on some of the remaining side stuff for now because I sure as hell will go for that Platinum!

I'm not too fond of super hero media and I don't really care about the characters and villains in the Spider-Man game, but as a video game this is just sublime. I had the same experience with Miles Morales!
Can't wait for Spider-Man 2. I think I gotta play it day-one.
I've been replaying it on Steam Deck and having a blast. After playing the old PS2 Spider-Man 2 game in the summer coming back to Insomniac's game is a big improvement because outside of the swinging that game has aged poorly in many areas especially the combat.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly I'm kind of between games right now since I finished my NG+ run on Lies of P and I'm all caught up on FFXIV content. Just waiting for the 20th so I have Mario and Spiders to play.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've been replaying it on Steam Deck and having a blast. After playing the old PS2 Spider-Man 2 game in the summer coming back to Insomniac's game is a big improvement because outside of the swinging that game has aged poorly in many areas especially the combat.
Camera in the old game is so bad as well (especially inside environments) plus wall crawling/stealth controls. I know people look back fondly on it for the web swinging (understandable, it is great), but I feel nostalgia tends to blind them on other parts of the game. Plus the game is super short... like, its only a couple of hours long for the main story, you could complete it on a weekend rental back in the day.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Camera in the old game is so bad as well (especially inside environments) plus wall crawling/stealth controls. I know people look back fondly on it for the web swinging (understandable, it is great), but I feel nostalgia tends to blind them on other parts of the game. Plus the game is super short... like, its only a couple of hours long for the main story, you could complete it on a weekend rental back in the day.

And let's be real, Tobey's voice acting in the game is extremely fucking bad. Like yeah, it's cute that they GOT him at all, but he's a terrible voice actor. It sounds like he recorded all of his lines in like two hours while in traffic.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Finished Yakuza 7 recently and I have to say that chapter 12 is one of the worst grinding experiences I've experienced in rpgs in a while. The level scaling in the game is pretty bad in the late game.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017

Nothing.

Had a pretty shitty end to my week so playing games is the last thing on my mind.

Looking forward to Star Rail though.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017

Went away for the weekend so playing Baiten Kaitos on Switch and Star Rail in between saving up Stellar Jade to not get Jingliu

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
Finished Yakuza 7 recently and I have to say that chapter 12 is one of the worst grinding experiences I've experienced in rpgs in a while. The level scaling in the game is pretty bad in the late game.
I am actually surprised to hear that. You're definitely not the first, but I did not hit any walls in my playthrough. Might be due to my obsession with the side quests before advancing the story too far.
The Majima fight was tough, but I beat that encounter on my second try.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022

Baldur's Gate 3. But I will definitely check out Callisto Protocol. I am really enjoying BG3 so far, but it's wild how I've barely made any progress 15+ hours in.
And some encounters are really tough.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I am actually surprised to hear that. You're definitely not the first, but I did not hit any walls in my playthrough. Might be due to my obsession with the side quests before advancing the story too far.
I didnt have issues either, there's plenty of stuff out there that you'll have access to by that point, and as long as you dont ignore them. The arena (which opens up right before those fights) can help you in so many ways - to upgrade weapons, cash, gear, leveling up... As long as your interacting with all those mechanics.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I now there was some talk earlier in this thread about Sony getting the FIFA license, and this is exactly why they shouldn't

www.resetera.com

PlayStation Had The Chance To Steal FIFA From EA In The '90s, But Passed

TimeExtension When we were speaking to Tom Stone, EA's former vice president of European marketing, recently for an article on The Making Of FIFA International Soccer, he told us about a memorable incident that happened in the run-up to renewing the license back in 1997, which could have seen...

What a scummy ass organization. And that's not even taking into account their recent nonsense with where the tournament is hosted.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt have issues either, there's plenty of stuff out there that you'll have access to by that point, and as long as you dont ignore them. The arena (which opens up right before those fights) can help you in so many ways - to upgrade weapons, cash, gear, leveling up... As long as your interacting with all those mechanics.

If you're not adequately levelled that fight will be a hard block unless you grind. You can get by just fine until that fight where the difficulty spikes tremendously, it's very much at odds with the rest of the game. It's a common blocker for a lot of people, myself included lol

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK

Callisto Protocol, I'm enjoying it. Far from the dumpster fire I was lead to believe. Sure it's not as good as dead space but it's enjoyable in its own bubble

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If you're not adequately levelled that fight will be a hard block unless you grind. You can get by just fine until that fight where the difficulty spikes tremendously, it's very much at odds with the rest of the game. It's a common blocker for a lot of people, myself included lol
See - you point out why I feel people had issues - "adequetly leveled". Its not just your level number... its more than that. Have you:
Gotten the best gear from the arena? Its basically the best in the game, even for True Tower Amon. Increases defense dramatically. You can get several sets from the arena - a quick blast through the levels they are located on will be vastly more beneficial than grinding for levels solely.

Used the stuff you get from said arena to power up your weapons more? They can be powered up tons so you dont have to hit max level so its just a matter of how much you wanna do them.

Have you diversified your job moves list so that you have ice/fire/electric/blade etc. attacks available to you? That's something that so many people miss as they insist on just using one job for the entire game, shooting themselves in the foot badly since boss weaknesses are elemental based later on.

Plus doing side stories to get summon attacks that afflict statuses, steal tons of money from enemies, inflict elemental damage blah blah balh.

Oh, and of course - Peerless Resolve. So many people just dont bother reading Ichiban's moves list and realise there's a move that saves you from KO if you cast it.

Of course rushing in under leveled wont help, but if people interact with all the mechanics available, you'll have a better time. Just grinding for hours is one way that it'll work, but its woefully inefficient and the worst way of playing the game, especially as the game goes out of its way to introduce all this stuff as part of the story.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

Absolutly nothing.

My weekend will be beach and catching up with movies I always keep not watching for some reason.

Watching Manchester by the Sea and Lost in Translation. I heard both are really cheerful movies

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019

I did many of the side quests along the way. The problem is not only the level spike but the "compulsory" battle arena being rather mandatory. The game simply becomes way too easy after chapter 12 if you did the battle arena to grind up (and you should for that boss fight, unless you want to spend over an hour on that fight).

The games level scaling was relatively fine until the end game I'd say. It definitely put me on the "wait and see" side for Infinite Wealth, but given its their second chance at this game design, hopeful that it'll be an improvement. Good game as a whole, and had my fun with the turn based combat, but I much prefer Yakuza 0 and 4, and their beat-em up system.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I did many of the side quests along the way. The problem is not only the level spike but the "compulsory" battle arena being rather mandatory. The game simply becomes way too easy after chapter 12 if you did the battle arena to grind up (and you should for that boss fight, unless you want to spend over an hour on that fight).

The games level scaling was relatively fine until the end game I'd say
Disagree on both these points. Its easy to find people who still struggled on chapter 14 and finale bosses (again, part because of Peerless resolve not being used, part because they still struggle with damage output).

The second point I completely disagree with. Level scaling early on is the reason why so many people (especially those rushing through the story) have the problem. The game is mind numbingly easy for the first 11 chapters. Maybe a slight bump in chapter 6's boss fight... but even then not much. You can easily power up, and enemies (especially the random encounters) are pushovers. If you choose to unlock Eri, or focus on Ichiban's hero job, you basically have a AOE move that kills the entire enemy party immediately.

Ideally 8 needs to introduce a big more challenge, earlier. While also making sure the bosses are kept at more sensible levels... that way they'll still be challenging, but without you needing to grind out stuff. Problem is, RGGS is averse to difficulty, which means they have a tendancy of making things way too easy no matter the difficulty, and while they are indeed aware of the issues with chapter 12 in 7, Im not 100% confident they'll learn the right lesson from that. I fear they'll go "fuck it" and make the entire game pathetically easy... just like they did with Yakuza 4 and further sequels.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
See - you point out why I feel people had issues - "adequetly leveled". Its not just your level number... its more than that. Have you:
Gotten the best gear from the arena? Its basically the best in the game, even for True Tower Amon. Increases defense dramatically. You can get several sets from the arena - a quick blast through the levels they are located on will be vastly more beneficial than grinding for levels solely.

Used the stuff you get from said arena to power up your weapons more? They can be powered up tons so you dont have to hit max level so its just a matter of how much you wanna do them.

Have you diversified your job moves list so that you have ice/fire/electric/blade etc. attacks available to you? That's something that so many people miss as they insist on just using one job for the entire game, shooting themselves in the foot badly since boss weaknesses are elemental based later on.

Plus doing side stories to get summon attacks that afflict statuses, steal tons of money from enemies, inflict elemental damage blah blah balh.

Oh, and of course - Peerless Resolve. So many people just dont bother reading Ichiban's moves list and realise there's a move that saves you from KO if you cast it.

Of course rushing in under leveled wont help, but if people interact with all the mechanics available, you'll have a better time. Just grinding for hours is one way that it'll work, but its woefully inefficient and the worst way of playing the game, especially as the game goes out of its way to introduce all this stuff as part of the story.

So when I say "levelled" it's kind of encompassing all of that; gear, levels, jobs etc. The reason why it's such a massive blocker for people is that the game doesn't really require so much from you until that point. It's basically a sharp turning point with an impossible wall and that's why you'll see people complaining about how they were forced to grind the arena. It never felt like a gradual build up and to me it felt like the game pushing you into the arena because it happens just after it's introduced.

It was never a massive issue for me personally because I loved the gameplay but I understand why so many people complained about this point in the game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So when I say "levelled" it's kind of encompassing all of that; gear, levels, jobs etc. The reason why it's such a massive blocker for people is that the game doesn't really require so much from you until that point. It's basically a sharp turning point with an impossible wall and that's why you'll see people complaining about how they were forced to grind the arena. It never felt like a gradual build up and to me it felt like the game pushing you into the arena because it happens just after it's introduced.

It was never a massive issue for me personally because I loved the gameplay but I understand why so many people complained about this point in the game.
See, thing is when I see people complain about grinding, it really is just about levels. Hence my points. There really are people that go the entire game without knowing the existence of Peerless Resolve (especially funny considering one of the "final" boss moves. But that's another story...

But as I said above, I see it more a failing of early chapters. They made the early game way too easy that people arent even suggested to mess about, let alone encouraged. So you'll have people run through the chapters without swapping jobs, forgetting you can power up weapons etc. and then suddenly they are stuck lol.
Its a legit issue, but I feel its more an issue with the early difficulty, not the spike. if it were a gradual curve it'd be better. Teach people about the benefits to all these things the game forces on you, rather than giving you a free ride. While 8 has already shown off impressive gains in terms of combat, I also wanna see them fix this aspect so that:
a) people wont hit a barrier 3/4 into the game
b) Im not forced to purposely level myself down for the first 10 chapters just to gimme a little challenge!

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022

The games level scaling was relatively fine until the end game I'd say. It definitely put me on the "wait and see" side for Infinite Wealth, but given its their second chance at this game design, hopeful that it'll be an improvement. Good game as a whole, and had my fun with the turn based combat, but I much prefer Yakuza 0 and 4, and their beat-em up system.
Like a Dragon was my first Yakuza game and it's undoubtedly my favorite. I just like the goofiness of many combat encounters. Played Yakuza 0 after that, which I really liked, but the combat didn't click as much for me. It's solid, but this is one of the rare cases, in which I prefer the turn-based combat.
But to each their own

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
See, thing is when I see people complain about grinding, it really is just about levels. Hence my points. There really are people that go the entire game without knowing the existence of Peerless Resolve (especially funny considering one of the "final" boss moves. But that's another story...

But as I said above, I see it more a failing of early chapters. They made the early game way too easy that people arent even suggested to mess about, let alone encouraged. So you'll have people run through the chapters without swapping jobs, forgetting you can power up weapons etc. and then suddenly they are stuck lol.
Its a legit issue, but I feel its more an issue with the early difficulty, not the spike. if it were a gradual curve it'd be better. Teach people about the benefits to all these things the game forces on you, rather than giving you a free ride. While 8 has already shown off impressive gains in terms of combat, I also wanna see them fix this aspect so that:
a) people wont hit a barrier 3/4 into the game
b) Im not forced to purposely level myself down for the first 10 chapters just to gimme a little challenge!

100% agree. It's why that boss fight in particular was so shocking because it whoops your ass like nothing in the game before lol It's one of those things that I feel like is a teething issue almost from the switch to a rpg. Definitely expect 8 to be a smoother experience overall.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Didn't get too much of a reaction from the Covid booster so I'm gonna be in a gaming mood for the weekend. I'll watch some playoff baseball as well. Spider-Man The City That Never Sleeps is pretty good so far. I forgot how funny J. Jonah Jameson was and it took me a little while to get used to the controls and combat, but overall I'm having a great time.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Today I should finish my first playthrough of RE 2 Remake. I hate horror games, but Capcom does great work with this series.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
BG3, i just started act 3, i don't want this game to end with how much i love it

At the end of Act 2. Act 2's final boss was epic. Certainly wasn't expecting
a 2nd phase boss after defeating Kethric. I was low on spells and everything. Loved how high stakes it was

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Disagree on both these points. Its easy to find people who still struggled on chapter 14 and finale bosses (again, part because of Peerless resolve not being used, part because they still struggle with damage output).

The second point I completely disagree with. Level scaling early on is the reason why so many people (especially those rushing through the story) have the problem. The game is mind numbingly easy for the first 11 chapters. Maybe a slight bump in chapter 6's boss fight... but even then not much. You can easily power up, and enemies (especially the random encounters) are pushovers. If you choose to unlock Eri, or focus on Ichiban's hero job, you basically have a AOE move that kills the entire enemy party immediately.

Ideally 8 needs to introduce a big more challenge, earlier. While also making sure the bosses are kept at more sensible levels... that way they'll still be challenging, but without you needing to grind out stuff. Problem is, RGGS is averse to difficulty, which means they have a tendancy of making things way too easy no matter the difficulty, and while they are indeed aware of the issues with chapter 12 in 7, Im not 100% confident they'll learn the right lesson from that. I fear they'll go "fuck it" and make the entire game pathetically easy... just like they did with Yakuza 4 and further sequels.

I don't see how any of this is the fault of the player. It's on the game to encourage you to try different tactics. I've seen a few posts above about how players not reading every skill, sure, but the game hardly encourages any of it until it's much later in the game and abruptly.

If you grind away levels, jobs, money and better gear, you'll sweep through everything post chapter 12 boss battle. Even the infamous final fight, you can manage without pearless resolve if you have a certain poundmate. Nothing in the game imo comes close to the chapter 12 fight. It's also a pretty shit mechanic that if Ichiban gets knocked out, it's game over.

Speaking of pearless resolve it completely negates the idea of job switching. Yes, you should experiment with different jobs, but at the end of the day, when half your squad works just fine or best with their initial jobs, that defeats the purpose.

I agree that level scaling from the start of the game is flawed because it's too easy but that doesn't mean what I said is false. You're practically on the level curve both for your jobs and character level wise pretty well for the majority of the game, with side quests here and there. It's absolutely bad game design that there's just a random spike in levels and force you to go through a lot of busy work out of the blue.

8 just needs to be a better designed game, I totally agree and I'm not going to jump in for a while. I really enjoyed 7 despite its flaws but I feel the game gets a massive pass from fans online and from the rpg community. I didn't see any of this discourse until I myself experienced the game and it's kind of shit.

Edit: for their first effort with a turn based rpg, it's a great experience as a whole. I hope they only get better.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutly nothing.

My weekend will be beach and catching up with movies I always keep not watching for some reason.

Watching Manchester by the Sea and Lost in Translation. I heard both are really cheerful movies
double-take-just.gif

Someone lied to you Angie.

Woozy

Feb 22, 2022
Absolutly nothing.

Lost in Translation is really good. Cheerful is not quite how I would describe it though 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.