• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Got a new platinum trophy and this time it is Prince of Persia Lost Crown. The game is good so the platinum trophy is just doing almost everything and there is no time waster trophy in there. But the game is so good that I went beyond the plat and got 100 % on my save file.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
Platinum for Rollerdrome done. It's nice to have smaller games like this to play as a reset after massive games. Super fun and very arcady. Also makes me want a new Tony hawk game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But you even understand that you're not the typical PlayStation consumer. Just reading your outlook on the brand and catalog over the year(s) here.

The reality is the system is selling incredibly well because there are a lot of games on PlayStation that people do want to play. Is 2024 their best year? Absolutely not.

Is it some five-alarm emergency that's going to sink the console and brand like some of its competitors have had over the last few generations? Not even close.

Edit: Specifically for you, I do understand that this has been a bummer of a generation so far and probably isn't likely to get much better. I think the AAA industry is kind of pivoting away from your preferences though, so I don't really know what will help the outlook there either.

The part that sucks is every game announcement season when it's just this endless sea of multiplayer shooters, boring sci-fi games and post-apocalyptic crap. It's like everybody with creative direction power in the industry is a fan of the same 3 80s movies and is desperate to recapture the feeling of those movies in their games lately.

And pretty shit to everyone else, but this was about whether Sony was meaningfully involved with the project, not whether you liked the games.

It's not 15 years, either. They've made it pretty clear that the last game should be out in 2027, so maybe 13 years at most if you start right from the very point the whole project was greenlit and went into pre-production.

For all you know, there may have been other, better games in that version of the timeline. And a lot of games spend a LONG time in pre-greenlight phase. 15 years for the sum total of time spent working on the trilogy will wind up being pretty close to spot on at the end of it all.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Forbidden West is great. I liked it a lot more than Ragnarok.

I loved Ragnarok but yeah the more I think about it the more that is the case for me as well. I feel so comfortable when playing this game. It has such nice vibes. The level design in Ragnarok can get really messy (Like in the foresty area) but here I did not have any issues

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The part that sucks is every game announcement season when it's just this endless sea of multiplayer shooters, boring sci-fi games and post-apocalyptic crap. It's like everybody with creative direction power in the industry is a fan of the same 3 80s movies and is desperate to recapture the feeling of those movies in their games lately.
I'm with you on a lot of that. I used to only play AAA games and felt fulfilled by it. But after so long, so many of those games run together and it feels like playing the same game with a new skin over and over.

I find myself playing way more smaller titles and indie titles as I get older because I just want to try something that feels new and novel. I don't care if the quality isn't as high or polished as the latest 200m budget third-person open world tower climbing shooter/slasher.

Like man, give me weird shit like Tokyo Jungle, or Puppeteer, or Folklore, or SOMETHING that feels different.

…but that ain't happening. Especially out of PlayStation first party. There's a slightly better chance out of Xbox first party now, but even there it's slim… like Pentiment or HiFi Rush.

Major publishers are just so risk averse that gaming does start to feel a little… Groundhog Day.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
What ever story they have for horizon 3 i really going miss Lance Reddick not being part of it .
Sylens was just so good and i don't think they can get anybody to match his character .

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
For all you know, there may have been other, better games in that version of the timeline. And a lot of games spend a LONG time in pre-greenlight phase. 15 years for the sum total of time spent working on the trilogy will wind up being pretty close to spot on at the end of it all.

Really? "But there might been better games!"? Lol. Given that the Remake project is the most I've enjoyed Final Fantasy in literal decades (and that Rebirth's critical reception lines up right with that), I'm comfortable assuming that no, this is the best timeline. Especially since the creatives at the head of it have made it VERY clear that this is exactly what they wanted to do with their time, so I really don't care how long it actually takes to make the project so long as they're creatively stimulated and fulfilled by it. At the very least, they aren't having to spend TOO long on it precisely because of the speedier process of making sequels.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Really? "But there might been better games!"? Lol. Given that the Remake project is the most I've enjoyed Final Fantasy in literal decades (and that Rebirth's critical reception lines up right with that), I'm comfortable assuming that no, this is the best timeline. Especially since the creatives at the head of it have made it VERY clear that this is exactly what they wanted to do with their time, so I really don't care how long it actually takes to make the project so long as they're creatively stimulated and fulfilled by it. At the very least, they aren't having to spend TOO long on it precisely because of the speedier process of making sequels.

Same for me it been nearly 2 decades since i enjoy FF as much i do now with the remake series .
So yeah i very happy with this time line lol .

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you on a lot of that. I used to only play AAA games and felt fulfilled by it. But after so long, so many of those games run together and it feels like playing the same game with a new skin over and over.

I find myself playing way more smaller titles and indie titles as I get older because I just want to try something that feels new and novel. I don't care if the quality isn't as high or polished as the latest 200m budget third-person open world tower climbing shooter/slasher.

Like man, give me weird shit like Tokyo Jungle, or Puppeteer, or Folklore, or SOMETHING that feels different.

…but that ain't happening. Especially out of PlayStation first party. There's a slightly better chance out of Xbox first party now, but even there it's slim… like Pentiment or HiFi Rush.

Major publishers are just so risk averse that gaming does start to feel a little… Groundhog Day.

I think one of the central issues I have is how it feels like EVERYBODY is cribbing out of the same notebook lately.

Like, I GET IT, game devs. You saw John Carpenter's The Thing at a friend's house when you were too young to watch it and it gave you nightmares. I get it. But maybe we don't need 500 different games inspired by The Thing, The Abyss, and David Cronenberg all coming out at the same time and competing with each other for players' attention.

That's just one example, but it's getting really tiring to see so many games clearly inspired by the same things, and it sucks we aren't getting a wider range of perspectives and inspirations. We need more diversity in game dev and publishing at ALL levels of production, but ESPECIALLY in terms of creative leads.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Same for me it been nearly 2 decades since i enjoy FF as much i do now with the remake series .
So yeah i very happy with this time line lol .

For real. Like, I've enjoyed the mainline FFs, but they do feel like they've become afraid to be as out-there as some of the older games used to be. The Remake project being built on FFVII, an especially weird and experimental title, really feels like a huge reason why it works. It benefits from the developers being, for lack of a better word, forced into taking things like a mentally unstable protagonist, a quadruped party member, a giant house enemy or even just a party-based combat system and making them work in a modern game. My greatest hope is that future FF games will take major inspiration from FFVIIR.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Is Media Molecule working on a new game? At least for a while? I know they supported Dreams for a bit but that was Feb 2020.

If so, it would be cool to see a new game from them or even LBP4 at a PlayStation showcase rumored for May

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is Media Molecule working on a new game? At least for a while? I know they supported Dreams for a bit but that was Feb 2020.

If so, it would be cool to see a new game from them or even LBP4 at a PlayStation showcase rumored for May

www.gameinformer.com

Dreams Live Support Ending As Media Molecule Shifts To New Project

The game won't recieve any more updates after September.

They are working on a new game. We have no idea what it is, but I don't think that we will hear anything about it for a few years.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Dang MediEvil 2 remake was a lie.

What makes it so sad is that Other Ocean was up for a remake of the second game as well as making MediEvil 3 and they even said the first remake passed the sales target Sony set up for them too.

Oh well.

Oct 25, 2017
Man if only Sony would've put this type of marketing towards Ronin instead of Stellar Blade. Ronin deserved better.

Rise of the Ronin had a live action commercial, this is K pop star music video on Youtube, it's not mainstream marketing.

RotR word of mouth was just mixed, there was no two ways about it, half the word of mouth conversations about the game upon release is that it looked liked a PS3 game, I don't think it did but that's where people took it. There were a lot more feature specific marketing videos for Ronin than for Stellar Blade that I saw.

I've seen a couple people say this and I really don't see a big difference between the two games in marketing material, Stellar Blade is clearly going to be carried by word of mouth due to it's character design

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
So some of these remake/remaster rumors were fake? I don't follow things closely enough but this leaker bs is so exhausting.

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I try to do but sometimes it's hard to tell it all apart if I'm not digging into articles past the headlines. So tedious lol, I hate it. I just want to know what's real and what to be excited about.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Another day of me requesting that Reddit, random Twitter people that guessed something correctly before and LinkedIn be banned as "sources" for reliable information

I keep saying the same thing. Randos on Twitter/Discord/Reddit throwing guesses out in the dark is nothing.

We can do that here and not have to worry about getting people's hopes up falsely.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Rise of the Ronin had a live action commercial, this is K pop star music video on Youtube, it's not mainstream marketing.

RotR word of mouth was just mixed, there was no two ways about it, half the word of mouth conversations about the game upon release is that it looked liked a PS3 game, I don't think it did but that's where people took it. There were a lot more feature specific marketing videos for Ronin than for Stellar Blade that I saw.

I've seen a couple people say this and I really don't see a big difference between the two games in marketing material, Stellar Blade is clearly going to be carried by word of mouth due to it's character design

It seem everytime we get a new some new SB marketing people say Ronin did not have just as much or as good.
It rather simple SB demo is why you seeing so much of it and it has good WOM from it .
Like half tweets you see from it on PS twitters is from the demo because people talking about the demo .
It just that simple .

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Dec 6, 2023
It seem everything we get a new some new SB marketing people say Ronin did not have just as much or as good.
It rather simple SB demo is why you seeing so much of it and it has good WOM from it .
Like half tweets you see from it on PS twitters is from the demo because people talking about the demo .
It just that simple .

True. People get way more excited about a game that they get to play for themselves. And that leads to more discussion, articles, coverage etc.
Proven franchises don't really need demos, and I know making them can take a lot of work, but it's totally worth it when you are putting out a game from a new IP and a relatevily unknown studio. Hope we see more of those in the future.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
True. People get way more excited about a game that they get to play for themselves. And that leads to more discussion, articles, coverage etc.
Proven franchises don't really need demos, and I know making them can take a lot of work, but it's totally worth it when you are putting out a game from a new IP and a relatevily unknown studio. Hope we see more of those in the future.

yep and thing is while open world demos hard to do you can do them.
You would think that Koei Tecmo would know this better than anyone since Nioh beta and demo is what push the game early on.
Allowing it to have some good WOM.

EPLirish

Jan 20, 2022
Sony gives PS very little even Bungie was bought with SIE money

Instead of paying for Bungie in full cash at one time, SIE borrowed the money to buy Bungie and paid in installments.

Sony doesn't seem to care about SIE. It's not a long time ago - they stressed that SIE's need to improve profit margins. then suddenly, they are willing to spend 20-25 billion joint bid in an all-cash deal to acquire Paramount, solely for Sony Pictures lol

Status
Not open for further replies.