• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the whole 2 regions thing just doesn't work for me unless they made it DLC or something. any effort that could go into building the second region can just be used to expand the main region. and at that point, wouldn't GF just make a remake of that old region?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I would love DLC. Gamefreak has had the opportunity to do it since XY, but they've stuck to Mythical Pokémon and free berries and stuff.

It would have to be something completely out there though, otherwise people would accuse them of ripping content out of the base game.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the only way DLC could really work given how things get structured and changed in enhanced versions (or sequel in Gen 5), the region would need to be robust and rather conclusive, or to phrase it differently, stick the landing.

Like... Gen 1 and 2 stuck the landing for the most part (in that you don't need Yellow or Crystal) , and then the rest of the series is really debatable.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
How many people are honestly expecting a "shield" region since Galar looks like a sword? Unless those islands covered by clouds come into play there is no obvious use for Surf. There's also a conspicuous pathway heading south from the main character's house.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How many people are honestly expecting a "shield" region since Galar looks like a sword? Unless those islands covered by clouds come into play there is no obvious use for Surf. There's also a conspicuous pathway heading south from the main character's house.

Kalos sort of looks like a shield, or the top of one.

Oct 25, 2017
Unova proved you really don't need a second region, just have more to a region after beating the main game. You beat the league in BW2 and still have several cities to visit and can easily spend another 50 hours exploring.

Kanto is pretty shitty as post game content too since everything there is still lower leveled than the champion you needed to beat to actually gain access. The problem isn't just that it was small, it's that it only delivered nostalgia instead of actually interesting gameplay while simultaneously crippling Johto's potential
Some of y'all were just born different. I can't.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the UK upside down (or rather a portion of it consisting of mostly England and maybe a bit of Scotland)

Feb 24, 2018
It looks like the UK upside down (or rather a portion of it consisting of mostly England and maybe a bit of Scotland)
Yeah it looks like England, flipped upside down and Wales cut off. With the botton looking like the borders and Cumbria and the Lake District.

Though something I've been wondering about, way before the games official announcement when people first spotted the Galar map in Let's Go that kicked off the (correct) rumour and belief that the game would be set in England their was a second smaller island that looked like Northern Island or the Isle of Man. Maybe it could be something like Battle Resort or Frontier in other games or a mini region like the Sevii Islands?

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
Remember to temper expectations:
69Yqo93.jpg

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it looks like England, flipped upside down and Wales cut off. With the botton looking like the borders and Cumbria and the Lake District.

Though something I've been wondering about, way before the games official announcement when people first spotted the Galar map in Let's Go that kicked off the (correct) rumour and belief that the game would be set in England their was a second smaller island that looked like Northern Island or the Isle of Man. Maybe it could be something like Battle Resort or Frontier in other games or a mini region like the Sevii Islands?
if there's no smaller island in the final game, we can't say that rumor (it wasn't even that, more of an assumption) was correct

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never understood complaints that Kanto in GSC was bad. It's not supposed to be a second main quest, it's post game content, of course it's gonna be more streamlined.

I liked that its way more open and that it assumes the player already knows this terrain, and has already become a champion, so they throw it like a large playground for them to do whatever they want. I love it, and Pokemon has sorely missed this kind of mindset for the past years.

It's only bad if you want it to be a main quest, which it's not. As post-game content, which it is, it's incredible and way bigger and meatier than anything we have ever seen since (except for HGSS, which threw a Battle Frontier on top of it).

If it happened today it would be celebrated as a huge feature, buuut since it's from gen 2, it's totally okay to shit over it.
My main problem with it is this: that despite seeming big, because y'know it's Kanto, an entire region of its own, it's in actuality a tiny amount of content.

And the reason for that is exactly because of what you say: it's not part of any main quest at all. There's no real obstacles or anything getting in your way. No evil team (well, beyond a very short detour with a TR grunt in the Power Plant/Cerulean, but that itself is super fast), no particular trainers you have to bother with on the roues between cities, or any of that. It basically just going from one Gym Leader to the next. And most of these gym leaders are about or lower level than the Elite Four/Champion. And then of course you already have all the HMs and stuff, so none of those are getting in your way. And mini-dungeons like Mt Moon/Rock Tunnel/Ghost Tower/Seafoam Islands/etc are all either not there at all or reduced in size.

So you're basically left with just rushing 8 trainers (the gym leaders), most of whom are weaker than trainers you've already fought and it's easy to just blast through pretty much the entirety of Kanto in about an hour or so, even casually because there's just so little there and it's not even on the same level as content you've already done before at that point, other than Blue who does get things backup to par.

Despite being an entirely separate region, there's not much "meat" there at all. And then because Kanto is there, Johto's own level curve and Pokémon variety suffered because of it, with actual new Johto-region Pokémon like the Houndour family, and Sneasel and Larvitar and stuff being thrown into Kanto and being pretty much unusable in the main game because of it (and meanwhile, Johto itself has locations dedicated to Kanto-region Pokémon like Bellsprout and Slowpoke instead of the new stuff).

There's definitely been a lot better side/post-game content than that. Not just the Battle Frontier in Emerald/Platinum/HGSS, but I'd also put stuff like the Pokémon World Tournament+PokéStar studios in Black 2/White 2 easily destroys Kanto in terms of meat.

I'd also be tempted to put the Battle Tree/Battle Maison/Battle Subway into that category as well, because yeah, they're just one "thing" but as Battle Tower clones they have a much larger pool of trainers/Pokémon to pull from and can easily last way longer than Kanto as a result, but that's a preference thing at that point. Kanto, even cut down as it was, certainly has the better presentation of content, being organized into the form of a separate region, but the Battle Tower clones nonetheless have the greater concentration of content, as well as being more challenging (and in the case of like XY's Battle Maison, due to have singles/doubles/triples/and rotation modes, better variety of content), and rewarding in its own way (BP for items for use online/to take you further in the Battle Tower clones). So it very much depends on what of those things you prefer, I suppose. Fake Edit: And yes, of course I'm aware that Crystal itself has its own Battle Tower. Just comparing the concept in general to that of a separate region like Kanto as a postgame.

But that aside, I'd definitely put B2W2 above GSC as well as HGSS/Emerald/Platinum in terms of post-game content even if that doesn't fly and one comes down on the presentation side. Kanto just doesn't have much meat to it, and I don't get the idea it has, because it's pretty much only the Gym Leaders themselves you have to worry about and there's just so little getting in your way and so little else to do there that it shouldn't take more than like an hour, or two max, or just blast through the entire thing even casually. There are lots of words to describe Kanto in GSC, but "meaty" isn't one of them, and that's ignoring stuff like Viridian Forest/Cinnabar/etc getting nerfed. There's just not much there period, so even if one completely loves it (which is completely alright! Don't get me wrong and I apologize if I'm coming off that way, because there's absolutely nothing wrong with loving it anyway, and I definitely don't mean to imply that at all if it seems that way. Just explaining my own feelings on it), just hearing it described as a meaty postgame of all things is just kind of strange to me.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I really do think the small island in the Let's Go map will be a present in S/S, but I also know that even if it is, it could very well just be a Battle Resort clone with only a single battle facility and little else.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
To each their own, I guess. I thought Kanto was a fantastic postgame that gives freedom to the player to explore however they want, lots of interesting little vignettes about how the characters and land have changed in those three years, remixes of almost every song, and there was still Mt. Silver and the Red battle, which is a legendary moment in the series.

I think it's really weird that you guys use low levels as an argument, because difficulty was never a highlight of this franchise and nobody seems to care that XY and SM were incredibly easy, instead saying that USUM is hard like that compensates for anything.

Also every generation has Pokemon that either can only be obtainable in the postgame or really late, making them unusable during the quest, but again, that's only a problem for GSC.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I like Kanto in G/S because at least it is something that I find moderately interesting, unlike things like Battle Frontier.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
GameExplain's map analysis got me really hyped to explore this world, I think the spectacle of a new Pokemon region in HD is enough for me to buy into, but I'm hoping they will incorporate more elements of nonlinearity into the exploration. Also, that London-esque city looks incredible.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
To each their own, I guess. I thought Kanto was a fantastic postgame that gives freedom to the player to explore however they want, lots of interesting little vignettes about how the characters and land have changed in those three years, remixes of almost every song, and there was still Mt. Silver and the Red battle, which is a legendary moment in the series.

I think it's really weird that you guys use low levels as an argument, because difficulty was never a highlight of this franchise and nobody seems to care that XY and SM were incredibly easy, instead saying that USUM is hard like that compensates for anything.

Also every generation has Pokemon that either can only be obtainable in the postgame or really late, making them unusable during the quest, but again, that's only a problem for GSC.
people do care about difficulty now a days and people do care about the most recent games being quite easy alot, people have been asking for difficulty options for awhile now and are still not getting them

also about the pokemon being locked behind the postgame, it's a problem for GSC cause most of the new pokemon introduced in Gen 2 are locked behind it. Next time you play a game set in Johto try beating the game only using a team of Gen 2 pokemon cause wither you end up with a team of nothing but the most basic pokemon or you just can't do it

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't Kanto (although it's definitely a hollow shell of RBG's Kanto), the problem is that Johto is undernourished and half-baked as a result of it being there.

I'd give you the point if Gold and Silver had a standard Pokémon-quality game experience before the League, but if you took Kanto out of those games they'd be the absolute worst in the series by a significant margin.

This pretty much, if you compare Johto to other region and it's clear that Johto feels like an expansion rather than a fully fleshed out region.

Thankfully Johto lore and myth helps saves it but it could have done so much more without Kanto dredging it down.

GameExplain's map analysis got me really hyped to explore this world, I think the spectacle of a new Pokemon region in HD is enough for me to buy into, but I'm hoping they will incorporate more elements of nonlinearity into the exploration. Also, that London-esque city looks incredible.

I feel that Derrick is mistaken in thinking that the industrial city is based on Newcastle as I think that it's more likely to be based on Manchester as not only do we have red building there but Manchester is more or less the birth place of the industrial revolution.

Other than that he did a fine job with his analysis.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing compares to shoving Murkrow and Houndour in some random patch of grass beside Celadon.

Gen 2 had a problem with distribution of new Pokemon in general. I get that it was the first sequel, but they didn't fix most of it in the remake. It was much worse than Alola's.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people do care about difficulty now a days and people do care about the most recent games being quite easy alot, people have been asking for difficulty options for awhile now and are still not getting them

also about the pokemon being locked behind the postgame, it's a problem for GSC cause most of the new pokemon introduced in Gen 2 are locked behind it. Next time you play a game set in Johto try beating the game only using a team of Gen 2 pokemon cause wither you end up with a team of nothing but the most basic pokemon or you just can't do it
Yes, and I should expand on this: it's not just about them being in the postgame, which is annoying enough, but understandable. Like, pseudo-legendaries are often found very late and so say stuff like Larvitar being very late in areas like Mt. Silver isn't too unusual. It's also not just about how it's not just the pseudos but also random stuff like Houndour that gets locked behind the postgame as well which is more annoying.

But on top this, the really annoying thing about this is the level balance there as well, or rather, the lack of it. By the time you get to Kanto, your team should be in the very high 40s, low level 50s, at least. And that's where the Kanto gym leaders' Pokémon are as well.

But what level are the new wild Pokémon? Like, in Route 7, outside Celadon, that Houndour I mentioned? Level 15. Why 15? Why not say low Level 40s, maybe like 5 levels lower than the nearby Gym Leaders or so to match how they were bumped up and the point of the game you're actually in; why the need to keep the wild Pokémon levels pseudo-consistent with what they were in Gen 1, but not the Gym Leaders or trainers in Kanto themselves or anything under the same logic? Who knows? The Gym Leaders' levels were bumped up because of the level curve, so why wasn't the level of the wild Pokémon, so you can use them if you want? And speaking of which, checking on Serebii real quick, Level 15 is lower level than anything can be found on that Route in Red/Blue and only matches the Abra that was found on the Route in Yellow, so the levels of the wild encounters on the Route actively got lower compared to Gen 1, despite the trainers levels and everything going up.

It's bizarre, and pretty much puts a stop to you using those Pokémon for absolutely no good reason at all, since they're so far, far, below the level of anything else for no discernible reason. If they were at least a decent level, you could do something with them, but at those levels? Unless you grind, grind, grind, they're put out of any consideration for even the last few games for no good reason at all, and that's what really sets me off about how GSC handles Pokémon distribution: that extra little insult-to-injury when you note the levels things are at, which is just completely all over the place, random, and makes no sense at all.

Again, it would be one thing if we were talking about pseudo-legendaries, gift Pokémon, Pokémon you specifically have to hatch from an egg/baby Pokémon, and stuff like that, but we're talking about non-pseudos and stuff that's flat-out found in the wild, that are still at random levels anyway. That's just bad design that I can find no reason for, it just doesn't make sense to me at all.

EDIT: I should clarify, this in particular is a bit of a personal subject for me because as a kid, prior to Gold/Silver coming out, I thought Houndour/Houndoom were really cool Pokémon and was looking forward to having them on my team. So when I actually got the games themselves and started looking for it, only to find out that they were shoved all the way next to Celadon City for some reason, and they were such a low, unreasonable level on top of that... I was naturally kind of annoyed, to put it mildly, and just couldn't understand why they would make it so hard to use such a cool Pokémon, and just shove it into a corner like that. One of my biggest disappointments with G/S was how they handled stuff like that for sure and just how disjointed that stuff was.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019
My main problem with it is this: that despite seeming big, because y'know it's Kanto, an entire region of its own, it's in actuality a tiny amount of content.

And the reason for that is exactly because of what you say: it's not part of any main quest at all. There's no real obstacles or anything getting in your way. No evil team (well, beyond a very short detour with a TR grunt in the Power Plant/Cerulean, but that itself is super fast), no particular trainers you have to bother with on the roues between cities, or any of that. It basically just going from one Gym Leader to the next. And most of these gym leaders are about or lower level than the Elite Four/Champion. And then of course you already have all the HMs and stuff, so none of those are getting in your way. And mini-dungeons like Mt Moon/Rock Tunnel/Ghost Tower/Seafoam Islands/etc are all either not there at all or reduced in size.

So you're basically left with just rushing 8 trainers (the gym leaders), most of whom are weaker than trainers you've already fought and it's easy to just blast through pretty much the entirety of Kanto in about an hour or so, even casually because there's just so little there and it's not even on the same level as content you've already done before at that point, other than Blue who does get things backup to par.

Despite being an entirely separate region, there's not much "meat" there at all. And then because Kanto is there, Johto's own level curve and Pokémon variety suffered because of it, with actual new Johto-region Pokémon like the Houndour family, and Sneasel and Larvitar and stuff being thrown into Kanto and being pretty much unusable in the main game because of it (and meanwhile, Johto itself has locations dedicated to Kanto-region Pokémon like Bellsprout and Slowpoke instead of the new stuff).

There's definitely been a lot better side/post-game content than that. Not just the Battle Frontier in Emerald/Platinum/HGSS, but I'd also put stuff like the Pokémon World Tournament+PokéStar studios in Black 2/White 2 easily destroys Kanto in terms of meat.

I'd also be tempted to put the Battle Tree/Battle Maison/Battle Subway into that category as well, because yeah, they're just one "thing" but as Battle Tower clones they have a much larger pool of trainers/Pokémon to pull from and can easily last way longer than Kanto as a result, but that's a preference thing at that point. Kanto, even cut down as it was, certainly has the better presentation of content, being organized into the form of a separate region, but the Battle Tower clones nonetheless have the greater concentration of content, as well as being more challenging (and in the case of like XY's Battle Maison, due to have singles/doubles/triples/and rotation modes, better variety of content), and rewarding in its own way (BP for items for use online/to take you further in the Battle Tower clones). So it very much depends on what of those things you prefer, I suppose. Fake Edit: And yes, of course I'm aware that Crystal itself has its own Battle Tower. Just comparing the concept in general to that of a separate region like Kanto as a postgame.

But that aside, I'd definitely put B2W2 above GSC as well as HGSS/Emerald/Platinum in terms of post-game content even if that doesn't fly and one comes down on the presentation side. Kanto just doesn't have much meat to it, and I don't get the idea it has, because it's pretty much only the Gym Leaders themselves you have to worry about and there's just so little getting in your way and so little else to do there that it shouldn't take more than like an hour, or two max, or just blast through the entire thing even casually. There are lots of words to describe Kanto in GSC, but "meaty" isn't one of them, and that's ignoring stuff like Viridian Forest/Cinnabar/etc getting nerfed. There's just not much there period, so even if one completely loves it (which is completely alright! Don't get me wrong and I apologize if I'm coming off that way, because there's absolutely nothing wrong with loving it anyway, and I definitely don't mean to imply that at all if it seems that way. Just explaining my own feelings on it), just hearing it described as a meaty postgame of all things is just kind of strange to me.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I totally agree with this.

I don't get why people praise HGSS so much. To me it's one of the worse games due to what you listed.

People constantly complain about XY and SM being easy. I think the older games are just as easy. I think both SM and USUM are harder than the earlier games because of the totems having boosted stats and seem to actually have a strategy. The post game areas in gen 5 and gen 7 have Pokémon that are higher in level than even the champion, in GSCHGSS, the wild Pokémon are much, much lower. Sometimes even lower than what they were in RBYFRLG, which makes no sense at all.

Yes, but they usually don't lock Pokémon from that generation into the post game. Gen 7 only had Sensu Style Oricoro locked, while Gen 2 had plenty. And with the awful level curve you had to grind a lot to make them usable.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People constantly complain about XY and SM being easy. I think the older games are just as easy. I think both SM and USUM are harder than the earlier games because of the totems having boosted stats and seem to actually have a strategy. The post game areas in gen 5 and gen 7 have Pokémon that are higher in level than even the champion, in GSCHGSS, the wild Pokémon are much, much lower. Sometimes even lower than what they were in RBYFRLG, which makes no sense at all.
I don't get why people say Totems are harder. If you beat the main one, the battle is over and you have Z-moves.

Also, it's hard to care about post game wild pokémon having higher level. At that point it's a trivial thing and I just want other type of challenges, like facilities.

Feb 22, 2019
I don't get why people say Totems are harder. If you beat the main one, the battle is over and you have Z-moves.

Also, it's hard to care about post game wild pokémon having higher level. At that point it's a trivial thing and I just want other type of challenges, like facilities.

I think they are harder than gyms at least. Gyms are just a case of of using a supereffective move to 1 hit everything and I don't remember any gym that actually had a strategy. The totems on the other hand didn't faint after just one attack (other than Alolan Raticate) due to their boosted stats. They were also 2v1 and had strategies. I thought Z-moves were cheap so I completely ignored them. Those do make most of the totems trivial I guess, but gyms wouldn't have been any different.

I guess, but I'd rather take high level Pokémon that you can train on for exp and even use in the Gen 5 post game, instead of extremely low levels like in GSCHGSS that can't be used for anything.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

fighting totems is more involved than gyms. totems was when GF had a good idea and realized "hey! bosses should have some kind of strategy!" and actually leveraged double battles they seemed to constantly ignore

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
That one Totem boss with the Castform assisting with Sunny Day is probably the first time I've struggled with an ingame challenge since D/P/P Cynthia. I thought it was great, though I don't think I'd want them to totally replace gym leaders.

I never understood complaints that Kanto in GSC was bad. It's not supposed to be a second main quest, it's post game content, of course it's gonna be more streamlined.

I liked that its way more open and that it assumes the player already knows this terrain, and has already become a champion, so they throw it like a large playground for them to do whatever they want. I love it, and Pokemon has sorely missed this kind of mindset for the past years.

It's only bad if you want it to be a main quest, which it's not. As post-game content, which it is, it's incredible and way bigger and meatier than anything we have ever seen since (except for HGSS, which threw a Battle Frontier on top of it).

If it happened today it would be celebrated as a huge feature, buuut since it's from gen 2, it's totally okay to shit over it.
Nobody hates the idea of two regions in one game, the problem is that GF's implmentation of it has been terrible so far. They had the chance to fix the level balance and pacing in HGSS but didn't, so people who shoot down the prospect are running off the knowledge that gamefreak still hasn't proven that they're capable of executing the concept well.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess, but I'd rather take high level Pokémon that you can train on for exp and even use in the Gen 5 post game, instead of extremely low levels like in GSCHGSS that can't be used for anything.
That I agree with. It's so ridiculous how HGSS basically has no way to grind outside the E4.

fighting totems is more involved than gyms. totems was when GF had a good idea and realized "hey! bosses should have some kind of strategy!" and actually leveraged double battles they seemed to constantly ignore
Still don't like it. To me Pokémon bosses should be human characters, gym leaders usually. Totems have no personality and are just big generic monsters that can be oneshot too easily.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still don't like it. To me Pokémon bosses should be human characters, gym leaders usually. Totems have no personality and are just big generic monsters that can be oneshot too easily.
I can say the same thing about gym leaders. at least they fixed the personality part, but they're still pitifully easy. Totems were an interesting change of pace after 20 years of the same shit.

but this whole totem/gym preference doesn't actually solve the problem here. the problem is GF doesn't bother to make things challenging

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Totems are harder than gyms because they use interesting strategies with summoned Pokemon..

That I agree with. It's so ridiculous how HGSS basically has no way to grind outside the E4.

Which is probably why we got Trial Captains.

Also, I don't think most people were easily oneshotting the totems.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The one time I got really fed up for not being able to beat a totem and tried oneshotting it with a Z-Move, it didn't get KO'd, healed the same turn, and beat me again.
Do you all grind like mad or what

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Yeah, I hope the that island that resembles Ireland in the Lets Go teaser, is like Pokemon Platinum's island, complete with the battle frontier, a villa you can own, with new unique areas with their own music, a legendary encounter like Heatran.

But all we will get is a clone of the battle maison from Kalos and nothing else.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is probably why we got Trial Captains.

Also, I don't think most people were easily oneshotting the totems.
I like the trial captains, but never liked how we couldn't fight them like the usual gym leader. We had Kahunas and all, but only having 4 was kinda meh.

I hope they just keep gym leaders and give them actual fun strategies or unique challenges.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Some of the totems were actually genuinly hard, and use actual strategy.

Like Lurantis. It's signature move is Solar Blade (like Solarbeam, but physical), which has a one turn charge to use it the second turn. In sunny weather you dont need that charging turn and can attack straight away.

Now Lurantis calls in Castform, which will use Sunny Day. Now Lurantis spams the fuck out of Solar Blade, a 120 base power move with no drawbacks (like having a chance to miss, or recoil damage). Which is likely going OHKO some of your pokemon if you're not prepared. It has a speed +2 boost from its aura so it likely outspeeds you too. And what's the ability that Lurantis has? Leaf Guard, which protects you from getting status conditions in sunny weather. So some cheeky toxic/protect stall isnt gonna work either.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I mean it does. It just involves the dumbest bullshit possible and I'm not even sure how a child could figure it out. It literally made me glad that the day/night features got nerfed because they went too far with the remake.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I like the trial captains, but never liked how we couldn't fight them like the usual gym leader. We had Kahunas and all, but only having 4 was kinda meh.

I hope they just keep gym leaders and give them actual fun strategies or unique challenges.
But you can fight all of them at some point after clearing their trials. Usually with bits of story or character building. It's just they're all optional battles except for Acerola and Ilima (though he still has a second optional battle too).

Edit: speaking for S/M only. Dunno about US/UM.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it does. It just involves the dumbest bullshit possible and I'm not even sure how a child could figure it out. It literally made me glad that the day/night features got nerfed because they went too far with the remake.
how

I don't remember doing anything else besides doing the E4 non-stop

But you can fight all of them at some point after clearing their trials. Usually with bits of story or character building. It's just they're all optional battles except for Acerola and Ilima (though he still has a second optional battle too).

Edit: speaking for S/M only. Dunno about US/UM.
I know, but still feels lacking. No stakes involved and all. Honestly, I grew up watching anime and always the coolest thing to me was the "group of villains that the protagonist needs to beat" and the gym leaders are that in Pokémon, so it always was one of my favorite aspects of the franchise and replacing them with generic monsters was boring to me, lol.

Never liked stuff like Battle Tower until Emerald added fixed leaders to facilities. Even the poor Battle Maison was better than stuff like Battle Tree to me just because it had a group of actual fixed "boss" characters (the chatelaine).

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'm actually in the middle of an HG playthrough and there's literally no way to feasibly grind for the E4 except for losing repeatedly... to the E4.

HGSS are still my favorite entries in the series even in spite of its faults, but that level curve is suuuuuuuuper fucked.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
how

I don't remember doing anything else besides doing the E4 non-stop

I know, but still feels lacking. No stakes involved and all. Honestly, I grew up watching anime and always the coolest thing to me was the "group of villains that the protagonist needs to beat" and the gym leaders are that in Pokémon, so it always was one of my favorite aspects of the franchise and replacing them with generic monsters was boring to me, lol.

Never liked stuff like Battle Tower until Emerald added fixed leaders to facilities. Even the poor Battle Maison was better than stuff like Battle Tree to me just because it had a group of actual fixed "boss" characters (the chatelaine).
I dont understand how anybody can say that. It's the gym leader that used the same generic pokemon, just a couple levels higher than the standard at that point.

Totems meanwhile were unique because of it's giant size, it's stat-raising aura, and the ability to call companion pokemon at will. It feels much more unique. Actually strategy is used ny them to battle, as I said in previous post.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand how anybody can say that. It's the gym leader that used the same generic pokemon, just a couple levels higher than the standard at that point.

Totems meanwhile were unique because of it's giant size, it's stat-raising aura, and the ability to call companion pokemon at will. It feels much more unique. Actually strategy is used ny them to battle, as I said in previous post.
Because gym leaders are actual characters with cool designs, personalities, background, partner Pokémon just like my character, etc. They're cool. A big Raticate? That's not cool. It's just a wild monster.

When I see at fanart like this I remember my fight with these characters and how cool and unique they are and how much they add to Pokémon, both in the games and other media (anime, manga, etc):

gymleaders.jpg

When I see a big Raticate I don't feel anything.

--

Also, personally I had no trouble at all with any totem in my SM playthrough. Maybe it was just me, but it felt as easy as the usual gym leader, but with fights sometimes lasting even less because you just need to defeat one monster.

Not saying the gym battles are balanced, but they are more memorable to me and sometimes there are like 1 or 2 per game that have some difficulty or at least a funny gimmick . I had a hard time with Viola in XY, for example (that was the only hard one tho lol) and Norman has the whole Protect/Detect tutorial thing in his fight in RSE.