• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astrophiel

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I picked up Ultra Sun on a whim, knowing basically nothing about any of the changes introduced after only making into to Route 8 on my Moon playthrough before putting it down for other games. So far I'm enjoying it a lot more than Moon but everyone seems to say there's hardly any differences. Should I go back to Moon once I finish up my US playthrough?

Oct 27, 2017
Beta 1 of my Pokemon Roaming Red ROM Hack is now available, you can check my OT over at Pokecommunity: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9797343

This has been sounding great since the beginning. I'll be honest: I have a ton of stuff on my plate right now, so I won't be able to give your hack a try. But once I'm done with catching up for GOTY, I'll try injecting your hack into a Red ROM for 3DS VC. Besides, I want to wait a bit before starting, since you will probably add more things and fix bugs in the near future, right?

Would it be possible to port it to Blue and, especially, Yellow? I know that's probably way down in your priority list ATM, but it would be cool to have a free-roaming Yellow one day :)

Oct 26, 2017
This has been sounding great since the beginning. I'll be honest: I have a ton of stuff on my plate right now, so I won't be able to give your hack a try. But once I'm done with catching up for GOTY, I'll try injecting your hack into a Red ROM for 3DS VC. Besides, I want to wait a bit before starting, since you will probably add more things and fix bugs in the near future, right?

Would it be possible to port it to Blue and, especially, Yellow? I know that's probably way down in your priority list ATM, but it would be cool to have a free-roaming Yellow one day :)

Yes, I'll be adding features as I get feedback from players or come up with new things myself. Any bugs that are found I'll try to fix of course.

In terms of porting things over to another base, I've been thinking about maybe making a version that is based on Pokemon Red++. Though Yellow is a good idea as well.
At any rate porting will have to wait until I'm pretty much done with the vanilla Red version.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'll be adding features as I get feedback from players or come up with new things myself. Any bugs that are found I'll try to fix of course.

In terms of porting things over to another base, I've been thinking about maybe making a version that is based on Pokemon Red++. Though Yellow is a good idea as well.
At any rate porting will have to wait until I'm pretty much done with the vanilla Red version.
I'll help test too if you want

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been watching S/M for a bit...but, uh, are they like basically rushing through it?

I loved the series because it was a fun and gentle show, kind of weird they seem to be hitting all the end-game beats already. Are they just gonna blow off Ula'Ula and Poni?

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been watching S/M for a bit...but, uh, are they like basically rushing through it?

I loved the series because it was a fun and gentle show, kind of weird they seem to be hitting all the end-game beats already. Are they just gonna blow off Ula'Ula and Poni?
Gladion's done the Kommo-o trial, so I don't think it's likely that Ash does that one. I can see them going back and doing Ula'Ula in greater depth and adapting Mina's trial from USUM, but even then that only really leaves us with three Island Trials, two Grand Trials, and whatever they end up deciding to do with the league and Team Skull.

It's pretty bizarre. I wonder what possible reason they could have to be rushing all this stuff...

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How different are the remake games from their original versions outside of presentation? I assume quite a bit from things I hear. I'm just wondering cause if I want to catch up on the series, I don't know if there's a reason to play, say, Gold or Silver as well as their remakes, or instead just go for Heartgold and Soulsilver and leave it at that. Are they different enough from each other that they both warrant a playthrough?

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
How different are the remake games from their original versions outside of presentation? I assume quite a bit from things I hear. I'm just wondering cause if I want to catch up on the series, I don't know if there's a reason to play, say, Gold or Silver as well as their remakes, or instead just go for Heartgold and Soulsilver and leave it at that. Are they different enough from each other that they both warrant a playthrough?

There are quite a lot of differences with the remakes, especially once you beat the Elite Four, since at that point they'll be a ton of Pokemon not in the original games. Aside from new/updated content, there are a bunch of mechanical differences that make playing the games different on varying levels. It kinda depends on how much time you want to invest and what your preferences are to best make a recommendation (both in regards to whether you should play them both or, if only one, which version).

In general, the series opens up as it progresses and more of the focus shifts toward the metagame/multiplayer after you beat the game. The early games are much more RPG in nature, involve more limited resources and resource management. The later games, and remakes by that extension, have a ton of quality of life improvements, but the story campaigns have also become "easier" as a result.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
There are definitely reasons to play both. They tend to not only update things but also change some into completely different versions

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone else having issues trying to log on to Global Link? It has been in maintenance for me for over a week.

Desuteq

Oct 27, 2017
California, United States
Is anyone else having issues trying to log on to Global Link? It has been in maintenance for me for over a week.

Nah, haven't had any issues on my end. It's been working fine for me since Ultra Moon/Sun released on 17/11/17. Are you trying to link your game(s) since you're mentioning the maintenance mode? Or are you talking about using GL's features with SuMo? If it's the former have you tried using the website in a different browser or in the 'incognito' modes? If that IS what you're trying to do and that does work for you, clear your cache/cookies for the site from your browser and relaunch the browser entirely, SHOULD fix it, though that's not 100%.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really enjoying USUM.

Once I get to the Battle Agency and get a feel for it I might start a thread for it, since I've seen on /vp/ it seems to be far more enjoyable if you find people who are doing it rather than randomly try to play with folks---though I'm still kind of confused how it works based on descriptions. Not even sure when it unlocks.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, haven't had any issues on my end. It's been working fine for me since Ultra Moon/Sun released on 17/11/17. Are you trying to link your game(s) since you're mentioning the maintenance mode? Or are you talking about using GL's features with SuMo? If it's the former have you tried using the website in a different browser or in the 'incognito' modes? If that IS what you're trying to do and that does work for you, clear your cache/cookies for the site from your browser and relaunch the browser entirely, SHOULD fix it, though that's not 100%.

I've been trying on different browsers, and even different devices, and it's still the same. Just tried clearing my cookies but it's still the same.

This is weird.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh that's right... I need to watch the Pokemon anime! Is there a legal way to watch it online? Sun and Moon.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
So I just had a weird experience in Pokemon Moon (want to finish Moon before starting Ultra Moon).

Found a place after the Electric Trial, just down the mountain with some grass.

Found a ditto that was kind of hard to catch along with some other Pokemon that I was able to get.

Then there was Beldum... fucking Beldum.

I don't think I have ever had as much trouble catching a non-legendary Pokemon as I did with this Beldum. And I don't mean finding it, I mean just what I said, 'catching' it.

First round: Quick Ball failed, using Snorlax's hold back and got it near enough dead, a few Ultras and NOPE, Take down killed it via recoil.

I then remembered I had Gengar and Take Down (and thus recoil wouldn't work) so I found another Beldum, hold back until it was almost dead (literally, about 1 - 10hp), switch to Gengar. Ultra Balls throw (quick ball didn't work again). and struggle recoil. :(

Found another one, Quick Ball failed so I went with the same strategy and again, 1 - 10hp. I even tried to get creative.

Long Story short, several Nestballs, a level ball, a pokeball and Gretball and 20+ ultraballs later (this 20 includes some of the Ultraballs from my previous attempts) and I finally caught it.

I have never had a non-legendary pokemon give me this much trouble catching it. finding them, sure but catching them... never.

But hey, at least I got it finally.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Beldum line has a stupidly low catch rate.

Takes me back to spending hours trying to catch a wild Metagross in the Giant Chasm's rustling grass in White.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Yep Beldum has catch rates comparable to legendaries. I guess it's because the first game it was in it wasn't available as a wild Pokemon.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Why that wasn't changed from D/P onward, I'll never know.

It's not like that it's an oversight. The Beldum line can be caught in multiple games. And they repeatedly change the catch rate between games for legendaries.

synic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
There were so many games I wanted to play over the 4 day weekend. I mostly played Ultra Moon. Haha.

Question, is it worthwhile to still pick up Platinum? For some.reason I started a Pokemon Yellow game on my 3DS and I feel like I should get Platinum as well to check out the "Ultimate" version of that series.

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
So I just had a weird experience in Pokemon Moon (want to finish Moon before starting Ultra Moon).

Found a place after the Electric Trial, just down the mountain with some grass.

Found a ditto that was kind of hard to catch along with some other Pokemon that I was able to get.

Then there was Beldum... fucking Beldum.
For this kind of pokemons, I often keep them at full health and I put them to sleep.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
There were so many games I wanted to play over the 4 day weekend. I mostly played Ultra Moon. Haha.

Question, is it worthwhile to still pick up Platinum? For some.reason I started a Pokemon Yellow game on my 3DS and I feel like I should get Platinum as well to check out the "Ultimate" version of that series.
Platinum is one of the best Pokemon games in the series! I definitely recommend it!!

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
no dedicated TCG OT?

Recently began collecting them again after about 15 years. Always regretted my mom throwing my old cards away so it was time to fix that injustice. Ended up buying a whole base set 1 collection. Had some dutch cards but that's fine as that's how I remembered it. Bought some newer TCG booster cards a few days ago as well and was surprised how great the new cards looked visually. Still planning to buy the entire fossil and jungle set though when I can afford it/Price is right.

Probably will need a tin box or something to store all the duplicates I don't care too much about but also still don't want to throw away. (maybe selling them later).

Not really planning to go deck building for the time being. I feel horribly lost trying to make a modern deck in the current meta (not to mention it's pretty costly I assume). But collecting is nice enough on it's own.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
^ Does not seem like the TCG OT made it over to this thread sadly. I collect every now and then too, the modern cards that is since Sun Moon ignited that fire for me. I do it cause the cards are pretty but I do need to sell them soon I guess since I won't be playing. I enjoy the collecting aspect overall though.

Also this happened.
CVezssF.jpg

Dunno why I dint wait guys... I said I would and it was there... on the shelf... and I always wanted Super Mystery Dungeon in Japanese... dang. Definitely finishing Nier:A and Chrono Trigger first though!

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
no dedicated TCG OT?

Recently began collecting them again after about 15 years. Always regretted my mom throwing my old cards away so it was time to fix that injustice. Ended up buying a whole base set 1 collection. Had some dutch cards but that's fine as that's how I remembered it. Bought some newer TCG booster cards a few days ago as well and was surprised how great the new cards looked visually. Still planning to buy the entire fossil and jungle set though when I can afford it/Price is right.

Probably will need a tin box or something to store all the duplicates I don't care too much about but also still don't want to throw away. (maybe selling them later).

Not really planning to go deck building for the time being. I feel horribly lost trying to make a modern deck in the current meta (not to mention it's pretty costly I assume). But collecting is nice enough on it's own.
Recently got back into the tcg as well, this was my haul the other day (i've been incredibly lucky with the mini packs especially)

23916073_10214563000452684_3630322219458453080_n.jpg

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
God dammit you make me jealous as fuck lol. Nice. That's like a 100 euro's?
50€ for each "box" and 9€ for each mini pack

I'm waiting for a friend to do some unpacking together this next saturday morning since she bought pretty much the same stuff
Anyway i got a bit tempted so i opened one of the Mewtwo minipacks and so far and it's already lookin pretty good
24129590_10214567230718438_3850377922502858262_n.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
It just occurred to me that the Gen 8 game being on Switch means that the Gen 4 remake will likely be on Switch as well.

Lit

Oct 27, 2017
Ultra moon
they took out the shooting star watching scene with Lillie!! So long lesbian island adventure ;-;

It's weird how young the protagonist, Hau and Lillie are in this game. Red was 10, sure, but the very low fidelity of the world helped maintaining the illusion. But the better graphics of the 3DS games, especially USuMo, constantly remind me that my character is 11. At least characters from previous 3DS Pokémon were a bit older. 14, 16 and so.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
It's weird how young the protagonist, Hau and Lillie are in this game. Red was 10, sure, but the very low fidelity of the world helped maintaining the illusion. But the better graphics of the 3DS games, especially USuMo, constantly remind me that my character is 11. At least characters from previous 3DS Pokémon were a bit older. 14, 16 and so.
It is a bit odd. I really wish they'd release a game so you could play as an older character. I feel like I know a bit too much about pokemon to be 11:P