Votes: 527 26.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, didn't you see the Lapras leak? It's obviously going to be a game in the Orange Islands...
Professor Ivy in superior 3D? there's a case for it

230px-Professor_Ivy.png

After every gen is remade.
it's easier to just say "never", you know

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, they could actually reveal it at e3 this time, since they announced it there last year .

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I like how you say May is too late eventhough Joe posted a few pages earlier that they have shown a lot of stuff in May in the past lol. It's not over unless we don't hear anything by E3.
Real talk here, the reveal might be at E3. I have no insider knowledge, but I imagine that so long as we hear about the game by the end of E3 that it'll hit this year.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but that doesn't mean he knows everything, like even you're making the assumption that he's nudging people when he could just be expressing his views. Which therein lies the problem with people ITT: they're so ready to swiftly pigeonhole Joe as either 1) saying Gen 8 isn't happening because he made a simple thought regarding "what defines a generation?" or 2) questioning generational format meaning that a reboot is going to happen. Joe's thoughts on what defines a generation isn't limited to his thoughts as there are few in other boards that wonder whether the Pokemon Generations formula can be broken.

As for the latter, people believe things too easily. I remember when Eurogamer broke the Pokemon Stars rumours, that people thought it was guaranteed that it was going to be on the Switch, and as it turns out, we got Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Believing the Kanto bandwagon before we've seen any announcements is just asking for problems.

Expressing your views is fine but he's quite persistent with rejecting people's thoughts at times. That 'what defines a generation' wasn't a one-time thing, he said something along that line many, many times at any point a potential gen 8 thought was brought up, to the point where it became a joke of sorts. He's either really persistent about simple opinions, or actually knows things and wants people to consistently stay on the right track.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
What if the Lapras photo was made by somebody that had insider knowledge of the next game being set in Kanto, so they created an image with the knowledge that as Kanto leaks/rumours inevitably arose, their image would seem more and more real?

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
I have accepted the fact that there won't be a game this year, i recommend that you all do the same :(
Dude, May is where it's at. Lol

Because I'm bored.

Let me preface this with the statement I literally do not know when the games will be revealed.

May 15th 2006: First footage and details of Diamond & Pearl
May 15th 2008: Reveal of Pokémon Platinum
May 8th 2009: Reveal of Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver
May 15th 2010: First proper details on Pokémon Black & White
May 14th 2013: First proper details on Pokémon X & Y
May 7th 2014: Reveal of Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
May 10th 2016: First proper details on Pokémon Sun & Moon

Bonus notes:

May 15th 2005: Reveal of Pokémon XD: Gales of Darkness
May 15th 2007: Reveal of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Darkness & Explorers of Time
May 21st 2015: Reveal of Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

Bwahahahahaha

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The reveal of the first console (potentially non-remake) Pokemon game being so late just doesn't sit right with me. Notice that all the reveals in May have either been for remakes or more details on new games.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The reveal of the first console (potentially non-remake) Pokemon game being so late just doesn't sit right with me. Notice that all the reveals in May have either been for remakes or more details on new games.
Keep in mind that the hype levels for this game are off the charts. I could easily see them waiting for E3 and doing a huge blowout.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Considering that the game has already been announced at last E3 (even if it was just "we are working on it" announced) that would still line up with that list. Previous games would get names and nothing else IIRC before the actual details/gameplay was revealed in May.

What if the Lapras photo was made by somebody that had insider knowledge of the next game being set in Kanto, so they created an image with the knowledge that as Kanto leaks/rumours inevitably arose, their image would seem more and more real?
Making a fake image would only hurt their credibility. If they had insider knowledge it would be better to post what they know than to waste time making a screenshot that will be debunked.

Oct 26, 2017
Expressing your views is fine but he's quite persistent with rejecting people's thoughts at times. That 'what defines a generation' wasn't a one-time thing, he said something along that line many, many times at any point a potential gen 8 thought was brought up, to the point where it became a joke of sorts. He's either really persistent about simple opinions, or actually knows things and wants people to consistently stay on the right track.

Again, him being persistent is not a sign of anything other than him having his own opinions of how the Pokemon series should function. He and I have had many arguments about how Pokemon should be from a gameplay standpoint (particularly difficulty and region design), and he's been persistent that many of these ideas wouldn't work. Yet, I don't take his views to be representative of what the next game is going to encompass.

I think people are reading waaay too much into what Joe is saying.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there were already rumors of a return to Kanto before the photo "leaked." I don't think the faker (if it is a fake) would have needed any insider information.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Again, him being persistent is not a sign of anything other than him having his own opinions of how the Pokemon series should function. He and I have had many arguments about how Pokemon should be from a gameplay standpoint (particularly difficulty and region design), and he's been persistent that many of these ideas wouldn't work. Yet, I don't take his views to be representative of what the next game is going to encompass.

I think people are reading waaay too much into what Joe is saying.
Thank you for posting what I have been thinking for weeks but have been unable to find the words for lol

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
OK, I'm done. I officially give up on a 2018 release. It's too late by GF standards to show anything for new hardware and have it release in the same year. My guess is a very small teaser/ trailer at E3 revealing the names, the box cart legends, a glimpse of the look and a March 2019 release. We'll probably get full details around October/ November. My nightmare is over for now. I'm off the train.

US&UM was revealed in JUNE to be released in November of the same year

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
US&UM was revealed in JUNE to be released in November of the same year

Yea, was it not something like the week before E3 in that direct that made everybody so mad/worried that Switch would never ever get a Pokemon game, and was thus doomed ?

If there is on thing that Pokemon is consistent in, its that they do whatever they want, whenever they want(and now wherever they want too).

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Who actually runs the U.S. pokemon twitters? For all we know it's a College intern with too much free time on his hands.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
The sadist in me wants them to remake Kanto and make it like Pokémon Lillie where every 10 steps there's a low budget cutscene. Then everyone will be caught up with the current state of the Pokémon games.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
And this game may very well not be a new generation. People have been saying that for months now.
We'll find out. Nobody really knows anything concrete other than that there is a 50% chance of it coming this year. Everything at this point has been a bunch of wishes. If we don't have anything by the end of this month it ain't happening this year.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
We'll find out. Nobody really knows anything concrete other than that there is a 50% chance of it coming this year. Everything at this point has been a bunch of wishes. If we don't have anything by the end of this month it ain't happening this year.

And another completely made up deadline based on nothing. Who says they can't announce the game at E3 and release it in November?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
And another completely made up deadline based on nothing. Who says they can't announce the game at E3 and release it in November?
It's possible, just highly unlikely given how TPCi typically operates. Though I did mention that an E3 reveal would be more likely if Nintendo had more of a hand in this game's marketing.

That said, a reveal in June would also decrease the chances of it being a new generation.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Actually the more you think about, taking longer means it took longer to have something to show which means more work which means new gen

Tropical Freeze was revealed for the wiiu like 2 months before release and the game is 98% new assets

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I imagine the short notice is to temper expectations, given graphic fidelity and features won't be where they should be, which is likely why they are using a pre-existing region vs a brand new one.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't get the notion that the game wouldn't be announced at E3... If Nintendo wants it announced at E3 they'll announce it at E3. Its not like the past must dictate what happens in the future.... especially considering that this will be not your typical Pokemon game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the notion that the game wouldn't be announced at E3... If Nintendo wants it announced at E3 they'll announce it at E3. Its not like the past must dictate what happens in the future.... especially considering that this will be not your typical Pokemon game.

If TPC needs to announce it beforehand so they can start selling/marketing merchandise than you can bet that they would not wait for E3, regardless of what Nintendo wants.

It's certainly possible that this will be the one to buck the trend and get announced at E3, but it's not something as simple as "if Nintendo wants it to then it will".

Status
Not open for further replies.