• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
If they announce that we're getting Regi's next then I can safely power up a Latios as I'll have ample time to build up my rare candies again :p

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Did another Latios raid. Didn't catch it. So I guess I missed out on it. Shame, but I know I'll get my chance again. At least I got a Ho-Oh

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I am like 9 for 9 on Ho-oh catches since they came back. Pinapped 7 of them too. 2 shinies + a hundo. I'm still leveling up that hundo, need a lot more rare candies. lol

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017
Latios has been my best catch rate (other than Mewtwo) but also my worst IV boss

2 Raids today which is probably all I'll manage and my numbers are 18/21 - however I only have 1 above 90 (and that's only a 91)

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Finally got a shiny from this event. It was an Omanyte. Gonna grind hard today and hopefully I'll pick up one more. If not, 1 shiny and two perfect Kabutos along with a ton of Geodude candy isn't a bad haul from this event.

Oh, and I just caught a perfect Mawile. That's a good start to the day.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
69th Aerodactyl and still no shiny. Still about 5 or 6 more local quest sightings I should be able to grab before the event ends. Whatever happens, I'm probably taking a break* after this.

* This probably won't happen

Hupfen

Oct 27, 2017
Burnaby but basically close enough lol

I'll check out the Discord and see if on the weekend I can get some raids done. I have a lot of active raids where I am but no one ever participates and I didn't have enough time to head downtown.

I've managed to get all caught and evolved so I'm good for the event pokemon! It's Larvitar next right? for like a small period of time?

I'm in Burnaby myself, managed to get on a few raids via the Burnaby/New West discord. Better off doing the Science World ones, though; the discord feels like a lot of lower-participation raids so you'd better be high level.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Managed to do another Latios raid and got it. And a 96% one, too. So happy.
And then I randomly checked my gyms and saw that I have an Ex raid and I was like whooot? Turns out it's tomorrow. I have no idea when I got that. If I wouldn't have seen this now I would have missed it all along lol.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Aerodactyl #75 was the shiny. Got three more after that were nothing to speak of.

Also had a shiny Aron visit me at work just before I set out to hit up my EX raid today.

Got back to work and just as I'm sitting down, I got another EX raid invite, for the same day as the invite I got yesterday (literally only three hours apart, in neighboring cities). What?

Managed to do another Latios raid and got it. And a 96% one, too. So happy.
And then I randomly checked my gyms and saw that I have an Ex raid and I was like whooot? Turns out it's tomorrow. I have no idea when I got that. If I wouldn't have seen this now I would have missed it all along lol.
Easiest way to check if you have an EX Raid coming is to look at your items. EX Raid passes appear right below premium raid passes and you can tap them to pop up the invitation again.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
never got a shiny kabuto or omanyte, and they were spawning constantly the last couple days once the stupid trees went away. sucks. back to the boring venonat and snubbull spawns i guess.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that was decent enough. Finished up Cradily and Milotic, hatched a Wynaut, made some progress on Slaking and got up to level 34. With that event finished up I'm up to 150/96/114, besides regionals missing only:

- Azuril, which is a crapshoot
- Absol, which I hope I will be able to get from quests now that Niantic made it available out of raids
- Slaking, for which I need 45 candies more

So between walking with buddy and occasional raids I'm really down to grinding Slakoth. Which is really just fine by me for now as I struggle whether I want to pursue filling up dex in future generations or not as I'm getting tired of the game after 2 since launch. I guess there's still Ralts candies to grind for Gallade, but I have candies for all the other evolutions ready, but I'm really starting to get bored.

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
Well, that was decent enough. Finished up Cradily and Milotic, hatched a Wynaut, made some progress on Slaking and got up to level 34. With that event finished up I'm up to 150/96/114, besides regionals missing only:

- Azuril, which is a crapshoot
- Absol, which I hope I will be able to get from quests now that Niantic made it available out of raids
- Slaking, for which I need 45 candies more

So between walking with buddy and occasional raids I'm really down to grinding Slakoth. Which is really just fine by me for now as I struggle whether I want to pursue filling up dex in future generations or not as I'm getting tired of the game after 2 since launch. I guess there's still Ralts candies to grind for Gallade, but I have candies for all the other evolutions ready, but I'm really starting to get bored.

For the Absol its the Excellent Throw quest i believe. Hard to find where that quest pops up though.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been incredibly lucky. My latest shinies (outside of CD) are: Omanyte, 2 Kabutos, Aerodactyl, 2 Ho-Ohs, 3 Medities, Makuhita.

No shiny Wailmer during Earth Event, but did get a shiny Magikarp

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Burnaby myself, managed to get on a few raids via the Burnaby/New West discord. Better off doing the Science World ones, though; the discord feels like a lot of lower-participation raids so you'd better be high level.
What is considered a decent level for raiding? Like if I join I want to make sure I'm qualified and not going to be kicked or anythinf xD

Otherwise Ill try for downtown though I'm definitely going to miss Latias.

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
I really should have hustled that last 400m to get one more Lugia buddy candy before the event ended.

Hupfen

Oct 27, 2017
What is considered a decent level for raiding? Like if I join I want to make sure I'm qualified and not going to be kicked or anythinf xD

30s is solid, mid-30s doubly so. The raids I've done with that discord's groups were pretty sparsely attended, so if folks are rolling in with 20s the odds of success go way down.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

I really don't feel there is a minimum level as long as you are upfront about it. Any raid group you join should either be able to handle it or judge if there isn't enough muscle present to succeed.

Raiding is one of the fastest ways to level up, so it's not something I would intentionally deny to anyone.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
30s is solid, mid-30s doubly so. The raids I've done with that discord's groups were pretty sparsely attended, so if folks are rolling in with 20s the odds of success go way down.
I really don't feel there is a minimum level as long as you are upfront about it. Any raid group you join should either be able to handle it or judge if there isn't enough muscle present to succeed.

Raiding is one of the fastest ways to level up, so it's not something I would intentionally deny to anyone.
Hmm okay thank you both! I'm 25 so not sure how well I will fair in raid groups but I'm working on leveling up and maybe I'll get lucky and have some willing groups.

I just did my first solo raid against a Sableye which was fun. It makes me wish higher tier could be solo'd with patience lol

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I did my first two raids tonight with a local LINE group. I'm only level 18, so if you have an active enough group I wouldn't worry about your level.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Finally got enough Lotad candy today from grinding out the last bit of bonus buddy candy, and JUST before I hit 124 I hatched a Chimecho. Now all I'm missing are regionals and non-released Pokémon.

Bring on gen 4!

Or at least Smeargle? lol

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
This fucking piece of shit game is never gonna give me a metal coat is it .Have 26 evolution items and not one of them is a metal coat. This game suxxxxx. *Keeps playing*

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of new/returning players too. Not just on ERA. That's cool. Feel free to ask us questions!

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Hmm okay thank you both! I'm 25 so not sure how well I will fair in raid groups but I'm working on leveling up and maybe I'll get lucky and have some willing groups.

I just did my first solo raid against a Sableye which was fun. It makes me wish higher tier could be solo'd with patience lol
Getting to do tier 3 solo raids was to most fun I had with this game. Getting better teams and finally being able to do one tier 3 raid after the other feels so good. Was my main motivation to play for a long time.

As for raids with other people - don't worry, the more people the better. No one is going to kick you out or anything

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I'm seeing a lot of new/returning players too. Not just on ERA. That's cool. Feel free to ask us questions!
I "returned" last week. I was level 5 with like 30 registered pokemon and hadn't touched the game since release 2 years ago. Now I'm level 20 and have earned my first cash for defending a few times. Games has better wild searching mechanics now, back then it would only tell you how far or close you are. Also did we have the missions/research stuff then?

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Got my 100% latios a couple days ago. happy with that.

Got about 20 Ho-Hos, not one shiny or even a particularly good one ;(

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I "returned" last week. I was level 5 with like 30 registered pokemon and hadn't touched the game since release 2 years ago. Now I'm level 20 and have earned my first cash for defending a few times. Games has better wild searching mechanics now, back then it would only tell you how far or close you are. Also did we have the missions/research stuff then?
Nope. Research is very recent, like 2-3 months.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
No, the quests have been added a few month back, they're pretty new.
Cool to see new players. Let's see if it will get even more with the release of Let's go getting closer.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
No, the quests have been added a few month back, they're pretty new.
Cool to see new players. Let's see if it will get even more with the release of Let's go getting closer.
I'm impressed there are a lot of active people in my area, ok so I live in an overcrowded area, center of Athens but I expected the game to be almost dead after 2 years. The other night, almost midnight, I beat a gym and before I got home another player took it back. And that other gym near my home is always full, I never have the chance to place my pokemon...

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017

This is one of those things I see posted on here a lot - and co-incidentally had someone new join our Whatsapp group yesterday and ask what level they had to be to join in the raids - the answer for our group was 'any' and I would think its the same for most other groups.

The only time levels really comes into it is if we're low on people and trying to work out if we have enough to do a boss , if we have enough then it does not matter if the next person to want to do it is level 5 or level 40.

If your at a low level you can be carried through the raid - as you progress you will be able to help out more and you'll keep improving and then when you get to the higher levels you will be helping out the other newbies.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
We have an option where you can add your level to your username, so if you tell the bot you're going to join a raid, other players will see your level and can assume if it can be beaten or not. Of course it doesn't always paint the whole picture. I've seen high level players who still use their recommended team because they don't know any better and so you get awkward situations where Lugia is trying to chip away Mewtwo lol

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just caught my 3rd shiny ho-oh. Funny thing is I'm also 10 for 10 for Ho-Ohs (since they came back), which includes a 100%. I pinapped 8 of them too. Some unbelievable luck

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, just let people know you probably won't be able to help much since you just got back into the game and are lv25. That let's people try to figure out if there are enough people or not. You can do basically any raid with 7 or so people which means there are at least 13 - 15 extra slots to get carried on. Raids are the best way to get some high level Pokémon to contribute in other raids with so good to do 'em!

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
My coworkers and I set out to do two Ho-Oh raids before lunch but wound up doing four because two new raids came up while we were out that were nearby and convenient. The first three fit nicely in a single lucky egg, and the fourth (which only me and my coworkers ran, no one else) was the one that got the shiny for the one coworker that didn't have one yet.

Wondering what the next tier 5 raid will be with just a day and change left on Ho-Oh, but I wouldn't mind a break.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Missed out on a Ralts by a couple of streets on my way to work this morning. It hurts. Could've gotten it if I'd left home a few minutes earlier.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
My coworkers and I set out to do two Ho-Oh raids before lunch but wound up doing four because two new raids came up while we were out that were nearby and convenient. The first three fit nicely in a single lucky egg, and the fourth (which only me and my coworkers ran, no one else) was the one that got the shiny for the one coworker that didn't have one yet.

Wondering what the next tier 5 raid will be with just a day and change left on Ho-Oh, but I wouldn't mind a break.
Similar experience for me, did 4 raids over lunch. But still no shiny :(

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Jumped back into this game about a month ago and have been raiding a lot. Our local group is really active on discord, with 8-18 people showing up for legendary raids regularly.

Unfortunately, couldn't get any shiny fossil pokemon but did hatch a lot of Bagons and Beldums so have been alternating those as buddies to build up candies. What do you guys use to find out who's the best attackers and defenders per type, etc? Who should I focus as my buddy right now? Beldum, Bagon, Slakoth, or should I throw on Larvitar to get more candies in before next weekend?

Did finally make it to Level 6/8 for Mew last night. I was having such a tough time running into ghost pokemon and nests changed JUST as I got to 5/8 so missed on easy Shuppets. I did manage to get a shiny, 100% Ho-Oh. Ho-Oh doesnt seem to be too meta relevant, unfortunately.

I do have like 170 rare candies and 11 of each TM. Just not sure what to use them on, but theyre taking up precious space in my inventory. I think rare candies are probably best saved for Legendaries but I only have Zapdos, Articuno, Ho-Oh, and Latias (my one Mewtwo try didnt work out). Zapdos seems to be the most relevant but is it worth it? I dont think either of mine are really good anyways,

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
Jumped back into this game about a month ago and have been raiding a lot. Our local group is really active on discord, with 8-18 people showing up for legendary raids regularly.

Unfortunately, couldn't get any shiny fossil pokemon but did hatch a lot of Bagons and Beldums so have been alternating those as buddies to build up candies. What do you guys use to find out who's the best attackers and defenders per type, etc? Who should I focus as my buddy right now? Beldum, Bagon, Slakoth, or should I throw on Larvitar to get more candies in before next weekend?

Did finally make it to Level 6/8 for Mew last night. I was having such a tough time running into ghost pokemon and nests changed JUST as I got to 5/8 so missed on easy Shuppets. I did manage to get a shiny, 100% Ho-Oh. Ho-Oh doesnt seem to be too meta relevant, unfortunately.

I do have like 170 rare candies and 11 of each TM. Just not sure what to use them on, but theyre taking up precious space in my inventory. I think rare candies are probably best saved for Legendaries but I only have Zapdos, Articuno, Ho-Oh, and Latias (my one Mewtwo try didnt work out). Zapdos seems to be the most relevant but is it worth it? I dont think either of mine are really good anyways,
You should save your candies for when Kyogre or Rayquaza come back or when you do get a Mewtwo

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kyogre esp. That one is VERY useful. It's the best water attacker in the game. Hopefully won't be too long until they come back. Even when not being type advantage, I use it. I mainly use it over fire types against Mawhile and it's a beast.

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017
What do you guys use to find out who's the best attackers and defenders per type, etc?

There are a lot of websites that have this information and a number of the IV checker programs have a battle option which will give you your best personalized team against a boss

https://www.pokebattler.com/

Is a good general source of information as is the pokemon go reddit and the Silph road reddit pages

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/

Who should I focus as my buddy right now? Beldum, Bagon, Slakoth, or should I throw on Larvitar to get more candies in before next weekend?

Assuming your missing the dex entries you cant go far wrong with them but depending on your level and what you have there maybe other more meta relevant choices - the issue we have right now is we dont know what the next bosses are - ask the same question in a few days and you may get a different answer but if you were a new player my top choices for buddies would be :

Geodude - A candy every km and Golem is still one of the best Rock attackers (even though Tyranitars special move will out perform them)
Machop - Machamps are the best fighters and are very meta relevant now (and if the Regi's are next they are what you want on your team) - 3k per candy
Larvitar - Because even with the Community day coming up you can never have too many Larvitar candies

Did finally make it to Level 6/8 for Mew last night. I was having such a tough time running into ghost pokemon and nests changed JUST as I got to 5/8 so missed on easy Shuppets

Ghosts (at least around this area) tend to spawn late at night (after about 22:00) or early in the morning (before 8:00am) just keep your eye out for them

Worth using on Legendaries - yes from your list Zapdos is a good choice but so too is Latias if you dont have any other good dragons - again best advice is probably to hold off for a day or two to see what comes - also although you may have the candies Stardust will probably be what limits you powering stuff right to the top.

For knowing what is good - either use an IV checker (CalkyIV on Android or Poke Genie on iOS) or just get to know what the appraisals mean for your team

When you appraise a pokemon you will get :
'overall' - for this your looking for Wonder / Battle with the best of them / Amazes which means that its over 80%
You will then get the 'top' stat (or set) again you want all 3 but ideally attack
Then you get the last comment which will tell you the overall number of those top stats - for this you want - Blown away / best / exceeds

What i will say for IV's are that they can be useful but dont think that just because something is not a 100% (or a 90%+) that its not a usefull thing to have - especially as your leveling up

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, rare candies are better served for legendaries since they take 20km to walk as a buddy, whereas Beldum and Bagon only require 5km. I'd wait until Raikou becomes a quest reward, who is generally better than Zapdos, unless you think Zapdos is cool af like I do. Dragonite/Salamence can do the job as well as Rayquaza. Kyogre is a great generalist but isn't going to be spectacular in future legendary raids or anything. Mewtwo will be at the very least useful against the pixies. I'd pay attention to the Larvitar community day as Tyranitar is always useful to have.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, thanks for all the help. FWIW, I'm level 33. I have been using PokeGenie but just found out about Pokemeter on iOS today. Though it seems PokeGenie is the defacto? I only use it to appraise, never checked out any of the other features. Totally get that IVs shouldnt be the be all end all, I just dont quite know what I should be keeping while combating limited bag space.

I'm currently sitting on 500K+ dust and could stand to add some depth, I'm just paranoid of wasting it. At the same time, I've only got one or two of most meta relevant pokemon but I'm slowly getting into the rhythm of things via osmosis with the local group. I'll definitely work to be in here some more :) I try to check Silph Road daily.

My local group was very down on Latias so I didn't think it'd be too worth it, but I'll reevaluate mine. I have about 2 or 3. Only have a single dragonite currently, 100% IVs but bad moveset (though that was pre-TMs). Have a 98 dratini that I could evolve with some of the rare candies.

Excited for the legendary raid changes coming soon, really hoping to get my hands on the Gen 3 box legends. Though I also hope they bring the dogs back in some capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.