Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, updated the OP a little bit. If anyone has any good ideas for further updating it, feel free to let me know. I also added that Trainer Tips "Returning Players" video that should be helpful for returning people.

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
It's good to have a brief period when I don't have to care about catching anything.

Definitely a Go+ day today.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Dunno if it needs to be in the OP but I find this image really helpful for figuring out if I want to keep a quest:
Jo1U31G.jpg

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017
I'm currently sitting on 500K+ dust and could stand to add some depth, I'm just paranoid of wasting it. At the same time, I've only got one or two of most meta relevant pokemon but I'm slowly getting into the rhythm of things via osmosis with the local group.

500k dust unfortunately can go very easily - the way i look at it is it costs roughly 75k dust to take something from level 20 ( egg or raid catch) to level 30 which is the normal 'base' point for powering up (when you get to level 30 the benefits of powering up go down vs the cost of doing it) so your 500k really is only 6 / 7 things from egg hatch to 30

Although it does not help to just sit on Dust as it does not take up bag space its back to hang around a little while to see whats next and what you want to do with it

After Community day you may find you want to power up some Tyranitars :-)

My local group was very down on Latias so I didn't think it'd be too worth it, but I'll reevaluate mine. I have about 2 or 3. Only have a single dragonite currently, 100% IVs but bad moveset (though that was pre-TMs). Have a 98 dratini that I could evolve with some of the rare candies.

Latias is a dragon that has access to Dragon moves (outrage being one of the best charge attacks) - in the 'dragon' tier she is out performed by Rayquaza and Dragonite but its still a strong attacker and if its one of the few legendary you have then you may as well use it

On the Charge / Fast TM front there will be some stuff that is a given and if you want to reduce your numbers my shortlist would be :

Machamp should have Counter / Dynamic Punch
Gyarados should have Waterfall / Hydro pump
Dragonite should have Dragon tail / Outrage (although if you have Draco Meteor from the community day you may want to keep it0
Latias should have Dragon Breath / Outrage

Although please check your stuff before using a TM on it - nothing worse than spending items on something to later find they were not worth it :-)

** edit **

FYI this may be where your local group got the 'down on Latias' thing from

https://articles.pokebattler.com/2018/04/03/latios-and-latias-raid-guide-and-infographic/

Which is basically saying its useless - however they have it listed as one of the top 5 counters for Latios and you dont have 3 of the others (Rayquaza / Salamance / Latios)

When I started playing the Legendary raids had just begun and the first things were the birds , for the birds you wanted a solid team of Rock fighters , and the best was Golem - however as a new player I did not have any golems and i was walking with my Geodude but that was 120 + KM away from being evolvable so my answer was SudoWoodo - Rock type , plentiful and at the time easy for me to catch

Some of the pages you read tend to assume you have access to everything that has ever been in the game and dont consider that some people will have missed out on them

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Got my 6th Mewtwo today. 82%. Getting a little bored of it tbh. Not sure if we'll see any new Ex raid bosses any time soon tho.
I suspect the next EX boss will be Deoxys, and probably won't happen until some time after the rest of the non-Legendary/Mythical Gen 3 Pokémon releases and the Celebi quest goes live, but I guess who knows.

Things are going to get interesting with Legendary and Mythical Pokémon real quick, as the number of both begins to explode. Will all Mythical Pokémon be distributed as Special Research quest rewards? Because Gen 4 alone has four Mythical Pokémon (as does Gen 5), though only two are particularly analogous to Mew (Manaphy and Shaymin). Another one of the four is Arceus, the God of Pokémon, so that to me seems like something more comparable to Mewtwo. But then Arceus is strongly linked to the Gen 3 mascot trio, so it would almost make more sense to release it as part of a quest that involves obtaining all three. And on that line of thought, the Gen 4 Legendary Regigigas actually is obtained in that exact sort of manner in the Diamond and Pearl. But then, would they be willing to include requirements of specific raid-exclusive Pokémon in a research quest? Because so far every quest, Special or otherwise, has been fully completable solo, and while they could drop the required Pokémon into the weekly research rewards, you'd still have a brick wall in those questlines once those Pokémon get pulled, so you could conceivably end up with players entirely unable to complete those quests, for at least several months.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope a Ho-Oh raid starts in my area soon and some people go. I would like to hopefully grab it before it leaves tomorrow but it's looking like unless I head downtown I might not be able to get it.

On the upside, I finish the week stamps tomorrow so Articuno is hopefully mine lol

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope a Ho-Oh raid starts in my area soon and some people go. I would like to hopefully grab it before it leaves tomorrow but it's looking like unless I head downtown I might not be able to get it.

On the upside, I finish the week stamps tomorrow so Articuno is hopefully mine lol
Keep in mind when they say it's a raid's last day, that means eggs stop appearing after 1 PM Pacific time on that day. If you have a choice of going into a population center (especially one with an active Discord or Groupme or whatever), that is definitely preferable to staying in a rural area.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind when they say it's a raid's last day, that means eggs stop appearing after 1 PM Pacific time on that day. If you have a choice of going into a population center (especially one with an active Discord or Groupme or whatever), that is definitely preferable to staying in a rural area.
Thing that sucks is a raid just opened up near me and a guy was looking for people but isn't accepting anyone under level 32. Ah well. It will be easier to find groups when I'm actually able to head downtown but I'll more than likely miss Ho-Oh.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that guy's an idiot and a jack-ass.
Even worse, I asked if anyone would be down to join up with a level 25 account to help me get a chance at Ho-Oh and no one responded in my discord lol At this point I'm taking this as a sign not to bother unless I can find an area with a lot of people gathered since they are more likely to be accepting I guess. It's a big of a downer but oh well. Next raid I will hopefully have an easier time finding groups.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Even worse, I asked if anyone would be down to join up with a level 25 account to help me get a chance at Ho-Oh and no one responded in my discord lol At this point I'm taking this as a sign not to bother unless I can find an area with a lot of people gathered since they are more likely to be accepting I guess. It's a big of a downer but oh well. Next raid I will hopefully have an easier time finding groups.
I'm legitimately not sure why you would decline people on level anyway. There's no reason to do so outside of literally just being a dick. Every extra person helps, even if they're low level, and even if you do absolutely nothing it doesn't hurt them.
Maybe try finding other raid groups? See if there's any Slack, Line, or Messenger groups in your area.

Musclebusted

Nov 3, 2017
We just had some drama on our raid page. It lead to some of the most toxic people leaving because the new admin would not let people be bullied. We also found out that one of our local spoofers was an alt account of the toxic guys...good times

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately not sure why you would decline people on level anyway. There's no reason to do so outside of literally just being a dick. Every extra person helps, even if they're low level, and even if you do absolutely nothing it doesn't hurt them.
Maybe try finding other raid groups? See if there's any Slack, Line, or Messenger groups in your area.
Update! Someone saw my level and was super kind enough to come out and help me. Funnily enough, the guy that refused me suddenly was asking to come because the player helping me had friends come with him. He warned me that the player who refused me is an asshole and that they came to help me get Ho-Oh. I ended up not catching it which sucks as most of my throws were Great but either way I'm happy I at least got to participate!

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Update! Someone saw my level and was super kind enough to come out and help me. Funnily enough, the guy that refused me suddenly was asking to come because the player helping me had friends come with him. He warned me that the player who refused me is an asshole and that they came to help me get Ho-Oh. I ended up not catching it which sucks as most of my throws were Great but either way I'm happy I at least got to participate!
You've got another day. Hopefully you have another chance to get out there!

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Yeah that guy sounds like a grade a dick jesus. Something to keep in mind when catching is curveballs matter a lot. More than getting a great (though a curve great is better). A curve gives you a 1.7x multiplier whereas a great I think is like 1.5 - 1.7 probably?

https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/catch-mechanics

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet!

Those of you that are returning: Grab those Magikarps! You will need it for the Special Research. Also, Kyogre is THE BEST Water pokemon right now (Gyarados btw is #2). So this is a Pokemon you want!

Edit: OP Updated

Last edited:

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
The article specifically mentions shiny Shellder, and along with Wailmer and Magikarp that's at least three shiny hunt targets. There may be more they aren't mentioning, as usual.

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
Ooh, I didn't even manage to catch Kyogre first time around.

Sounds like it's worth getting as many as possible.

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I got my Articuno today. Only took 1 ultra ball thankfully and now I can try for another next week.
You've got another day. Hopefully you have another chance to get out there!
If I'm lucky I might get another shot in 50 minutes!
Yeah that guy sounds like a grade a dick jesus. Something to keep in mind when catching is curveballs matter a lot. More than getting a great (though a curve great is better). A curve gives you a 1.7x multiplier whereas a great I think is like 1.5 - 1.7 probably?

https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/catch-mechanics
Thanks for the heads up! I usually throw curve balls as It's how I played originally but sometimes I'm shitty at it LOL

I'm going to see if I get another attempt in 50 minutes as one is spawning at the Whole Foods near Brentwood I believe.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Btw: All Quest Pokemon, including the Legendaries in Research Breakout have a 0% Flee Rate. So if you want to save on ultra balls and have plenty of reg Pokeballs, feel free to use reg pokeballs instead. I also pinap all of mine too.

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
Without a Raikou, my Kyogre Krew is pretty weak:

- I have a 1413 cp Zapdos with Charge Beam/Thunderbolt
- I have a 2639 cp Exeggutor with Confusion/Solarbeam
- 2367cp Venusaur with Vine Whip/Solarbeam

Is Frenzy Plant Venusaur gonna be better than Solarbeam?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Didn't expect the Gen 3 mascots to return so soon. Can't wait for Rayquaza to return. Only ever caught one because my girlfriend and I kept getting burned by raid groups and it got way too tiresome, so we kinda just gave up on it after getting one each.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
So excited for Water Festival and Kyogre becoming accessible again. Hoping to get a chance at all these shinies! I'm super low on balls now though, so will need to hit some stops up tonight.

500k dust unfortunately can go very easily - the way i look at it is it costs roughly 75k dust to take something from level 20 ( egg or raid catch) to level 30 which is the normal 'base' point for powering up (when you get to level 30 the benefits of powering up go down vs the cost of doing it) so your 500k really is only 6 / 7 things from egg hatch to 30

Although it does not help to just sit on Dust as it does not take up bag space its back to hang around a little while to see whats next and what you want to do with it

After Community day you may find you want to power up some Tyranitars :-)

Latias is a dragon that has access to Dragon moves (outrage being one of the best charge attacks) - in the 'dragon' tier she is out performed by Rayquaza and Dragonite but its still a strong attacker and if its one of the few legendary you have then you may as well use it

On the Charge / Fast TM front there will be some stuff that is a given and if you want to reduce your numbers my shortlist would be :

Machamp should have Counter / Dynamic Punch
Gyarados should have Waterfall / Hydro pump
Dragonite should have Dragon tail / Outrage (although if you have Draco Meteor from the community day you may want to keep it0
Latias should have Dragon Breath / Outrage

Although please check your stuff before using a TM on it - nothing worse than spending items on something to later find they were not worth it :-)

** edit **

FYI this may be where your local group got the 'down on Latias' thing from

https://articles.pokebattler.com/2018/04/03/latios-and-latias-raid-guide-and-infographic/

Which is basically saying its useless - however they have it listed as one of the top 5 counters for Latios and you dont have 3 of the others (Rayquaza / Salamance / Latios)

When I started playing the Legendary raids had just begun and the first things were the birds , for the birds you wanted a solid team of Rock fighters , and the best was Golem - however as a new player I did not have any golems and i was walking with my Geodude but that was 120 + KM away from being evolvable so my answer was SudoWoodo - Rock type , plentiful and at the time easy for me to catch

Some of the pages you read tend to assume you have access to everything that has ever been in the game and dont consider that some people will have missed out on them

You've been an excellent help, thanks again :)

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
It's super sad to hear about some of the luck on here RE: local raid groups. I am certainly counting my lucky stars, because I NEVER ONCE expected to have the kind of presence that we do where I live. So when are we going to have an ERA Raid Party Meetup :P

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme at least a little increase in Feebas spawn please. I didn't convert rare candies into Feebas candies to evolve yet and that would help me a lot with finishing Slakoth and being done with Gen 3.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
All hatches yield what? Hope I get double candy for hatches too. Still need Metagross, Flygon, Slaking and Salamence.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yes! This event is going to be awesome! Kyogre was one of the first legendaries I got and I only managed to catch three of them so getting some really good ones will be nice. Also maybe this will be the first shiny legendary I'm able to catch.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
hmm.. was looking to get back into this.

apparently it won't load on iOS 12 beta..

ok, fuck.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Gonna try for Shiny Kyogre, even though I think all my shiny luck got drained by Ho-oh. I also have an absolutely awful team for Kyogre raids.

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
I've done my best to pump-up an ok Kyogre squad.

It'll probably be fine, Kyogre will attract a good number of raiders.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I'm gonna pass on Ho-oh this morning to go for Kyogre. Don't care about shinies and Kyogre should be useful for battles so may as well go for as many of those as possible. If only this were October or November... I'd basically have a 100% weather boost rate in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.