Which will you throw in the PC Storage first?

• Pikachu

Votes: 590 16.2%
  • Eevee

Votes: 571 15.7%
  • Your hopes and dreams

Votes: 2,083 57.4%
  • Jmon

Votes: 387 10.7%

• Total voters

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How does that whole Meltan Mystery Box thing work when connecting Go to Let's Go? Got a few people who'd like a Mystery Box. I am, apparently, about to become that guy for a group of Go players.

So do multiple people each get that Mystery Box when they send a Pokémon to me, or is it only the first person to send one that does? Is the first transfer limit on the phone or in Let's Go? and do we know how long the refresh delay is until you can get another one?
You can only receive a mystery box and spawn Meltan once a week. Not sure if that is limited to one Go account or not.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The fact I'm here stories of people becoming "The guy with the mystery box for Meltan" about the place sorta is pointing towards Go players not really being that bothered for this. At least with the more serious groups. It's really coming down that lapsed players group, isn't it? Whether the game will overpeform or underperform (Ain't gonna bomb, pokemon never does).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game freak now has a proper Twitter and YouTube account. Looks like it'll also be used for pokemon promotion

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Game freak now has a proper Twitter and YouTube account. Looks like it'll also be used for pokemon promotion

Could they be preparing their social media and YT for the 2019 game too? Gaining followers and attention for when they want to announce some stuff (as well as their new game TOWN)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could they be preparing their social media and YT for the 2019 game too? Gaining followers and attention for when they want to announce some stuff (as well as their new game TOWN)
It's why I tacked on the "also", since they already have two pokemon media accounts (Pokemon and Nintendo). But promotion for Town probably won't start until next year (and after it gets a proper name)

CybilBennett

Dec 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I pre-ordered this game. I don't understand the cynicism. We go through this every time a new game comes out that changes things up and then it ends up doing millions in sales anyway.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
You can only receive a mystery box and spawn Meltan once a week. Not sure if that is limited to one Go account or not.
As I understand it, each Pokémon Go account can receive a box per week, but the game has no limitations to how many it can send. This is probably done to avoid limiting families with multiple Go players but a single Switch, since this game is so family-oriented.

The fact I'm here stories of people becoming "The guy with the mystery box for Meltan" about the place sorta is pointing towards Go players not really being that bothered for this. At least with the more serious groups. It's really coming down that lapsed players group, isn't it? Whether the game will overpeform or underperform (Ain't gonna bomb, pokemon never does).
They might have their expectations in check; this will obviously do well enough and will surely help sell Switches, but not going to sell like water.

Last edited:

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I pre-ordered this game. I don't understand the cynicism. We go through this every time a new game comes out that changes things up and then it ends up doing millions in sales anyway.

- Removal of 656 Pokemon
- Removal of abilities
- Removal of hold items
- Removal of breeding and egg moves
- Removal of Z moves
- Alolan forms and Mega evolutions are present despite not being part of Yellow
- Online requiring paid subscription despite missing Wonder Trade, GTS, Battle Spot
- No wild battles
- Forced Go catching
- Gyro controls are always on, even in handheld mode
- No pro controller support
- Mew is exclusive to Pokeball Plus which costs $50
- Gym gating requiring you show a type advantage Pokemon
- Tile based map design
- Replacing Blue with friendly rival
- Game is a full price title

Do you understand now?

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
This isn't a core Pokemon game. It's the first game of a new mainline series aimed towards GO players and kids.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
- Removal of 656 Pokemon
- Removal of abilities
- Removal of hold items
- Removal of Z moves
- No wild battles
- Forced Go catching

- Tile based map design

I'm glad for many of that actually especially the removed stuff

a non-bloated pokemon game is exactly what I need after gen 7

I only agree with the bolded.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I understand the Pro is great controller, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around its necessity in a game with a maximum of three controller inputs.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
We are one week away from the release of the game. Aren't you guys tired to have the same argument over and over again ?

I saw that a lot of people shared their future teams, but with the way the PC is handled I am wondering if experimentation is made easier ?

More than a 6 Pokemon team, I think I am going to play with more Pokemon during my adventure than usual.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
- Removal of 656 Pokemon
- Removal of abilities
- Removal of hold items
- Removal of Z moves
- Online requiring paid subscription despite missing Wonder Trade, GTS, Battle Spot
- No wild battles
- Forced Go catching
- Tile based map design

A lot of this really doesn't matter. The removal of abilities, hold items, breeding and (questionably) z-moves or z-move substitutes is disappointing, granted, but the struck through stuff is just fluff. Does it really matter that you can't catch every Pokemon ever in a remake of Yellow? Is it really outrageous that you have to pay for Online to access online? Is it really that bothersome to use the joycon for a game that requires minimal inputs? What does it matter if a gym makes you show a Pokemon with a type advantage if you carry a personal PC in your bag at all times?

The bold stuff is actually a positive imo and I genuinely hope a more advanced take on this feature makes it in to gen 8.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
There are no Z-moves? Thank God.

Those and Mega Evolutions always felt like pointless additions.

I'm cool with no abilities. It never affected how I played the game, with the exception of Sturdy, because that just got in the way.

CaseyVGCx

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I think people need to understand that wild battles =/= random encounters.

IMO, overworld pokemon + wild battles is the best of two worlds. I wouldn't even mind having the Go catching, if having the battle made the catching easier. Funny enough the legendary/mythical Pokemon in LGO is the representation of this idea to an extent.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I personally quite like the Pokemon on the overworld and hope it stays like that for next gen. I just wish battles were normal all around and also wish we had a more clear idea of how these EV candies work.

But I'm sure that will all be worked out once the game comes out.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, people who equate mechanical depth with bloat are weird.

And you still have mechanical bloat with all of the moves being in the game (They've gotten a lot more complex since Gen 1). Megas and Alolans (Pokemon can change type mid-match now? This Vulpix is Ice Type?), Natures, EVs and IVs (And whatever candies do on top of that) etc.

Realistically, the game should actually be adding stuff to make learning this easier. Why isn't there somewhere were you can see what all the natures are and what they do, how does your pokemon evolve, if it does evolve (What level, or if it requires an Evolution Stone, if it can Mega Evolve, etc..), moves that a pokemon can learn from levels and TMs. This stuff should be in the game, you shouldn't need to search up Celebi or Bulbapedia for this knowledge.

If only there was some Pokemon Database device Professor Oak could create... some kind of Pokedex that could hold all this information a trainer would need and would be accessible from the pause menu when a trainer needs to look stuff up about their pokemon...

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I think people need to understand that wild battles =/= random encounters.

IMO, overworld pokemon + wild battles is the best of two worlds. I wouldn't even mind having the Go catching, if having the battle made the catching easier. Funny enough the legendary/mythical Pokemon in LGO is the representation of this idea to an extent.
This. If you hated random encounters then overworld Pokemon encounters already fixes that. They didn't need to remove the ability to battle the Pokemon entirely.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
And you still have mechanical bloat with all of the moves being the game (They've gotten a lot more complex since Gen 1). Megas and Alolans (Pokemon can change type mid-match now? This Vulpix is Ice Type?), Natures, EVs and IVs (And whatever candies do on top of that).

Realistically, the game should actually be adding stuff to make learning this easier. Why isn't there somewhere were you can see what all the natures are and what they do, how does your pokemon evolve, if it does evolve (What level, or if it requires an Evolution Stone, if it can Mega Evolve, etc..), moves that a pokemon can learn from levels and TMs. This stuff should be in the game, you shouldn't need to search up Celebi or Bulbapedia for this knowledge.

If only there was some Pokemon Database device Professor Oak could create... some kind of Pokedex that could hold all this information a trainer would need and would be accessible from the pause menu when a trainer needs to look stuff up about their pokemon...

I had hoped that Mega Evolution was out of the game.

CaseyVGCx

Oct 27, 2017
Boston

They really want you to buy their strategy guide.

I strongly agree that the game does a terrible job at explaining the mechanics or just basic information in general.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
And you still have mechanical bloat with all of the moves being the game (They've gotten a lot more complex since Gen 1). Megas and Alolans (Pokemon can change type mid-match now? This Vulpix is Ice Type?), Natures, EVs and IVs (And whatever candies do on top of that).

I'm pretty sure there's always an NPC that tells you what natures are, how IV/EVs affect your pokémon, even if they don't explicitly and technically explain this. EVs are even visible in the UI now, via Super Training or the stat screen in LGPE. They even went as far as giving you candies explicitly telling you what they do. It's all in the game.
It's also important to note that IVs, EVs and natures are only really important for competitive. During the main game, they're trivial. So there's no need to throw an information dump on the player upfront about features they don't have to care about.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really feeling any negativity towards these games. In all honesty, the absence of some of those things (a metric fuckton of Pokémon, namely) is a positive for me, while things like no breeding and no Pro Controller support don't bother me too much. And I'm really excited to try the new catching system and Go connectivity features. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just preordered Let's Go Pikachu this morning on the eShop. Can't wait for next Friday!

Nov 1, 2017
If Gen 8 also has overworld encounters, I hope they make them actually look good. It's so cheap and tacky in this.

I preferred how they worked in SuMo and ORAS, since your imagination can fill in the gaps left by the games' rudimentary animation instead of seeing Pidgeys straight up bumping into everything. :/

And why are people still acting like we want all of the Pokemon to be obtainable ffs. The largest regional dex was 400+ Pokemon, but it's usually around 300. Is that really too much? That's only 50 more than G/S.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

Too damn true.

For all their intentions, Pokemon games don't seem particularly accessible to me. Why can't I just select e.g. abilities and am shown an in-depth explanation? Why can't I select a nature and can click some option that shows me a table of all existing natures?

I mean, I haven't played GameFreak's titles in a while but even whenever I play fan games, like Reborn, I have several pages from Pokemondb.net on my second screen because, man, there's just so much information I want to know that's just not readily available in the games. Since Reborn features all currently available Pokemon I was super happy to find a mod that displays Pokemon typing somewhere next to their HP bars. With 800 something Pokemon and a lot of types it can be next to impossible to access many Pokemon's types. Especially fairy ones.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I'll mainly be playing this on the bus to and from work. I don't really want to feel stressed out so I'm actually content with the more casual nature.

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
How does online play works ? Can I play against other people on online that I don't know or do they have to be my friends ?

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've bought every Pokemon game and I'm still conflicted about this one. I'm irrationally (mostly) angry about the changes and I've played Red/FireRed dozens of times so I doubt I have much to gain from an all-around lesser version of the game (sans graphics). I also don't want to support this kind of development but I doubt my decision to buy/not buy it will make a difference.
On the other hand it'll be hard to wait another year for the next game.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for this game. Gonna be such a chill breeze of an experience

Hopefully it doesn't get boring

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
- Removal of 656 Pokemon
- Removal of abilities
- Removal of hold items
- Removal of Z moves

But also...

Hmm

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
some posts here exemplify the problem gamefreak will have: some people don't want to come back.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Unfortunately this is just the beginning (yes, since May!), wait for the review thread and any sales info we get about the game. Insults, arguments and bans all over the place I expect.

I really, really hate the removal of even simple things like abilities and held items in this game, but man am I not looking forward to the hell that will be the sales thread for this game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really hate the removal of even simple things like abilities and held items in this game, but man am I not looking forward to the hell that will be the sales thread for this game.
don't forget the condescending attitudes when gen 8 is revealed

"see! you got your game despite all your bitching"
"finally, a pokemon game without the baby talk"

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
- Removal of 656 Pokemon
- Removal of abilities
- Removal of hold items
- Removal of Z moves

But also...

Hmm

I think some people see that as a negative as a means of pointing out some of the hypocrisy of the game. They stated they wanted to go back to just what was in yellow, and have cut out damn near everything they could, but randomly chose to include some of the newer stuff.