• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first Pokemon game so all the various stats are super confusing to me.
I was surprised when it extended outside the hexagon, but I suppose that's normal. I still have a ton of health candy so I guess I'll see how high it can go.
if this is your first pokemon game, all you need to know is:
  • ignore IVs. unless you're gonna play competitive, this doesn't make a difference for you
  • Awakening Values will not be returning for next year's game. it replaced effort values (evs) for a more broken mechanic. you can also ignore this if you want more of a challenge, but might have to use them for Master Trainers

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Does anyone know if I transfer a Pikachu from Go with Surf will he have it in Lets Go?

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry you feel that way. Cheer up mate.

For me I think the simplistic combat is a breath of fresh air as someone who thinks the meta had turned sour from gen 6 onwards.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe that the meta in the regular series is perfect by any means and it can be improved upon. I just identify my favorite Pokémon with certain abilities and moves and I miss the depth those Pokémon have when I try to use them in Let's Go.

What went sour for you in the gen 6 meta? I'm curious as gen 6 is when I came back to the series after a long hiatus.

I also didn't mean to be so hostile in my last post, my bad for that.

Well, unless you're disabled then screw you.

That needs to be addressed in the next Let's Go game.

I am disabled and I was trying to be cheeky with that line. Looks like I failed.

I haven't connected this game to my tv because of the forced motion controls. Sometimes I even struggle with the force gyro controls because you have to be still or they kick in.

Even if Game Freak addresses it in the next Let's Go game I won't be buying it because gen 8 would be out at that point.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a survey from Nintendo about Let's Go. I really told them what I liked! I said I liked that Lillie isn't in this game! Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Nintendo.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
There's no interest because anyone who is interested in the meta game will stick to Ultra Sun and Moon or simply wait till gen 8.

Let's Go won't have a thriving meta game scene.
Eh, you underestimate the broad demographics of the fanbase. It's also not a zero-sum game. People can enjoy different formats, just like how singles and doubles have different appeals. Need I remind you that only doubles is an officially supported format, so singles isn't exactly a thriving format in USUM either relative to doubles. As for LGPE, it has its quirks. It's the only meta where you can use Eevee-S, Pikachu-S and Melmetal, and where you can use multiple Mega evolutions in a team. I don't see why GF can't foster both scenes, especially when they announce a sequel to LG.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe that the meta in the regular series is perfect by any means and it can be improved upon. I just identify my favorite Pokémon with certain abilities and moves and I miss the depth those Pokémon have when I try to use them in Let's Go.

What went sour for you in the gen 6 meta? I'm curious as gen 6 is when I came back to the series after a long hiatus.

I also didn't mean to be so hostile in my last post, my bad for that.
No need to apologize. I was giving you a hard time by being a smart ass. I apologize for that.

Depth is perfectly fine, and I welcome it, but starting with Gen 5, they started to plant the seeds and power creep the new Pokemon to stay relevant. It was still acceptable since the Dream World opened new possibilities for old Pokemon, which coincidentally started the weather wars. I didn't really like the focus on weather, since rain was so much more unbalanced than the other ones and I'm saying that as a fan of water Pokemon. With Gen 6, it really became apparent that GF didn't give a fuck about singles. Mega evolutions were mostly fine in doubles, but when unleashed in singles, their even more powercreeped stats combined with broken abilities basically sent singles to its death knell. The nerf of Mega Kangaskhan was too little too late. The existing focus on team preview and 3v3 meant that singles were a huge gamble, unlike doubles where 4v4 out of 6 wasn't as risky. That's when GF lost me.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
DtnAeXPUUAEm1Dp.jpg

Pokedex completed apart from Melmetal :D.

Also bonus pic:

Highest XP I've gotten yet

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No need to apologize. I was giving you a hard time by being a smart ass. I apologize for that.

Depth is perfectly fine, and I welcome it, but starting with Gen 5, they started to plant the seeds and power creep the new Pokemon to stay relevant. It was still acceptable since the Dream World opened new possibilities for old Pokemon, which coincidentally started the weather wars. I didn't really like the focus on weather, since rain was so much more unbalanced than the other ones and I'm saying that as a fan of water Pokemon. With Gen 6, it really became apparent that GF didn't give a fuck about singles. Mega evolutions were mostly fine in doubles, but when unleashed in singles, their even more powercreeped stats combined with broken abilities basically sent singles to its death knell. The nerf of Mega Kangaskhan was too little too late. The existing focus on team preview and 3v3 meant that singles were a huge gamble, unlike doubles where 4v4 out of 6 wasn't as risky. That's when GF lost me.

Ah, you're speaking a language I understand. I agree.

One thing I wish Game Freak would do when they release another remake or a Let's Go game is they would rebalance the stats and abilities to the Pokémon in that regions National Dex.

The whole reason I'm into Pokémon games is because of the singles meta. I loved gen 6 because of the PSS and how easy it was to get a 6v6 battles vs a random. I put in thousands of hours in gen 6 because of the PSS. In gen 7 when they took the PSS out I wish they would've put in in 6v6 option in the Battle Spot because I hate that I can lose a battle at the team preview screen.

For example,

My current record in Sun Battle Spot is 35 or 34 wins 29 loses. I'm not ashame of that record but what bothers me is that half of my loses came from me being unable to predict which Pokémon my opponent would bring.

It's hard to do power creeps right without leaving behind the dozens if not hundreds of previously viable Pokémon in singles but it's impossible to do power creep right when like you said Game Freak doesn't give a fuck.

I wish there was a way to communicate to Game Freak that it would be nice to have a 6v6 option in the Battle Spot Singles and that it would be cool if they revisit older Pokémon and rebalance them stat and ability wise.

Side Note:

Electivire is so close to being a break out monster of the meta game. Game Freak just needs to give him just alittle more stat wise and he will be a terror. 5 of my wins in Battle Spot came on the back of my Electivire sweeping my opponents entire 3 Pokémon Team after he a Motor Drive boost from an unsuspecting Tapu Koko.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a way to communicate to Game Freak that it would be nice to have a 6v6 option in the Battle Spot Singles and that it would be cool if they revisit older Pokémon and rebalance them stat and ability wise.
Thank you. That's all I want. That Game Freak pays attention to other formats and puts more effort into balancing them. Why not introduce a 6v6 Singles World Championship? It doesn't take away from the Doubles World Championship, just like it doesn't take away from the TCG World Championship. Just like in certain sports, for example tennis or badminton, where Singles and Doubles exist, and even Mixed Doubles. I don't see why that can't be applied to Pokemon. It would grow the competitive scene and eventually the brand. It's win-win.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. That's all I want. That Game Freak pays attention to other formats and puts more effort into balancing them. Why not introduce a 6v6 Singles World Championship? It doesn't take away from the Doubles World Championship, just like it doesn't take away from the TCG World Championship. Just like in certain sports, for example tennis or badminton, where Singles and Doubles exist, and even Mixed Doubles. I don't see why that can't be applied to Pokemon. It would grow the competitive scene and eventually the brand. It's win-win.
I think their main argument is time. it would take longer than doubles unless they shorten all the timers. like from have 30-45min matches and have turn times at 30secs

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think their main argument is time. it would take longer than doubles unless they shorten all the timers. like from have 30-45min matches and have turn times at 30secs
I think they tried to fix it by eliminating leftovers and weather in LGPE. Face it, the reasons why Singles took a long ass time is because of lefties/weather animations every turn to visualize what's happening. By eliminating held items and EVs, it also eliminates ways to specialize and stall, as with Eviolite boosting certain unevolved Pokemon to extreme heights.The LGPE meta is surprisingly pacy because of that, as well as the removal of Wish, Moonlight, Synthesis and Slack Off. I thought the lack of Rapid Spin and Defog were detriments to the meta, but it did make games finish in a more reasonable pace. I still don't agree with the fact that certain types got royally screwed by Stealth Rock but so be it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they tried to fix it by eliminating leftovers and weather in LGPE. Face it, the reasons why Singles took a long ass time is because of lefties/weather animations every turn to visualize what's happening. By eliminating held items and EVs, it also eliminates ways to specialize and stall, as with Eviolite boosting certain unevolved Pokemon to extreme heights.The LGPE meta is surprisingly pacy because of that, as well as the removal of Wish, Moonlight, Synthesis and Slack Off. I thought the lack of Rapid Spin and Defog were detriments to the meta, but it did make games finish in a more reasonable pace. I still don't agree with the fact that certain types got royally screwed by Stealth Rock but so be it.
stuff like leftovers and weather can be sped up. especially weather, as there's no reason to have a constant reminder when there's already a visual effect and an on-screen turn counter. as for LG's stuff, that's more because they wanted to cull the number of options as they did pokemon. what was added was largely for giving new typings some representation rather than any meta reason.

removing EVs was counteracted by the absolutely busted AVs. stalling is more prevalent due to +200 HP/Def/Sp.Def. but that same reason is why people don't generally play in an AV-boosted match

point is, they never gave a shit about singles once they introduced doubles, and LG isn't any proof that they're starting to care. especially when "competitive metagame" has never been brought up. the best way to speed up competitive singles is probably to reduce it to 4v4 like doubles or 3v3

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone here be willing to help me evolve all of my trade-evolution Pokemon (5 total, including Alolan Graveler)?

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Leftovers and Weather animation is going to solve itself as the tech in the hardware improves. That reminder of leftovers and weather was due more to the tech the games were based on.

Just how they're Sleep clause in play Game Freak can put in a stall clause in place to keep people showing up with a Evo Chasnsey, Alamomola, Gliscor, Casteel, and Mega Sableye. I actually face this team in Battle Spot. It sucked. They're ways to fix singles without having to take away from what's been added. Game Freak just needs to be actively involved.

stuff like leftovers and weather can be sped up. especially weather, as there's no reason to have a constant reminder when there's already a visual effect and an on-screen turn counter. as for LG's stuff, that's more because they wanted to cull the number of options as they did pokemon. what was added was largely for giving new typings some representation rather than any meta reason.

removing EVs was counteracted by the absolutely busted AVs. stalling is more prevalent due to +200 HP/Def/Sp.Def. but that same reason is why people don't generally play in an AV-boosted match

point is, they never gave a shit about singles once they introduced doubles, and LG isn't any proof that they're starting to care. especially when "competitive metagame" has never been brought up. the best way to speed up competitive singles is probably to reduce it to 4v4 like doubles or 3v3

I'm currently playing 3v3 Singles Rating in Battle Spot and it's not fun. Only using half of your team means you can lose the Battle in the team preview screen before the battle begins. That happens to me a lot. Those games could run long also if someone is using a Stall team and they're a lot of people running Stall in Battle Spot.

I prefer it if Game Freak would support 6v6 and created and their own rule set for it. I don't need Game Freak to worry about my time. I need them to care about a healthy 6v6 meta as much as I and others do. Game Freak has nothing to lose by supporting 6v6 in their own game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing 3v3 Singles Rating in Battle Spot and it's not fun. Only using half of your team means you can lose the Battle in the team preview screen before the battle begins. That happens to me a lot. Those games could run long also if someone is using a Stall team and they're a lot of people running Stall in Battle Spot.

I prefer it if Game Freak would support 6v6 and created and their own rule set for it. I don't need Game Freak to worry about my time. I need them to care about a healthy 6v6 meta as much as I and others do. Game Freak has nothing to lose by supporting 6v6 in their own game.
the only way you're gonna get GF to care about singles balance is for them to actually make Singles a tourney format. and 6v6 takes a while, even without stalling. best thing they can do is make time more limited to speed things up

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I am new to Pokemon so bare with me.
I was battling with Mewtwo and was using my Alolan Rattata who is a dark type. Mewtwo is a phsycic type and shoud not affect dark types. However, he beat me with one hit. Does it mean he used a non-psycic move or is there something else I am not understanding? If that's the case, should I repeat the battles hoping that he may use a psycic move that has no effect or is the AI smartar than that :p

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
I am new to Pokemon so bare with me.
I was battling with Mewtwo and was using my Alolan Rattata who is a dark type. Mewtwo is a phsycic type and shoud not affect dark types. However, he beat me with one hit. Does it mean he used a non-psycic move or is there something else I am not understanding? If that's the case, should I repeat the battles hoping that he may use a psycic move that has no effect or is the AI smartar than that :p
Mewtwo also knows Swift which is a normal type move, only ghost types are immune to normal moves

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Anyone got an Ekans and Meowth they're willing to trade for? I got Growlithe, Oddish, Sandshrew, Mankey, Omanyte or Kabuto to offer!

Last edited:

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Please tell me I'm not the only one there who loves shiny hunting but only full odds (no catch combo and such), especially in Let's Go as you can already encounter so many Pokémon in a short period of time.
I don't have a problem with hunting using odds increasing methods, I just want to be sure not to be "alone" with this :')

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Why do people spend whole days searching for one shiny Pokémon just for looks? Sorry don't mean to insult anybody, but I am curious about that.

Your favorite pokemon looking even cooler.

I have been in fucking Rock Tunnel all day

I had a streak of 200+ Graveler with no Khan sighting.

I find out and it refuses to be caught and runs

1% spawn rate is the dumbest fucking thins ever.

I was just casually showing a friend the game while I was in Rock Tunnel and Kengis Khan just showed up in front me me, we were like wow! Holy shit!

Last edited:

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only way you're gonna get GF to care about singles balance is for them to actually make Singles a tourney format. and 6v6 takes a while, even without stalling. best thing they can do is make time more limited to speed things up

All I can say is that the people who currently play and love the 6v6 format doesn't mind the time sink per match too much. Of course it can be improved upon like shortening certain animations and limiting to amount of Stall Pokémon per team.

I have mix feeling in making the time shorter but I would gladly except that if it means getting proper 6v6 support .

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just beat the Elite Four yesterday. They weren't exactly pushovers either. Took down my Pikachu a couple of times and I had to resort on my other teammates: Rhydon, Venasaur, Blastoise and Charizard.

It's funny, cause this is the first Kanto focused game that I've actually completed to the end. I really loved this game.

And now to wait for Gen 8. :P

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone trade me a Mewtwo and a Meowth that I can trade right back?

Getting a bit sick of shiny hunting this Mewtwo and a Shiny Charm would make me feel a lot better. I could trade a shiny Psyduck or something so you know I wouldn't steal your Mewtwo.

Also, does having a lure activated increase your chance of a legendary being shiny?