• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's getting announced for Pokémon Day?

• Pokémon Gold & Silver Remakes/Reimaginings (traditional, Legends, Let's Go)

Votes: 127 40.7%
  • Pokémon Black & White Remakes/Reimaginings (traditional, Legends, Let's Go)

Votes: 169 54.2%
  • Another expansion for Pokémon Scarlet & Violet

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Pokémon Black 3 & White 3

Votes: 39 12.5%
  • A new Mystery Dungeon

Votes: 36 11.5%
  • A new Pokémon Spinoff

Votes: 87 27.9%
  • Re-releases of the Gameboy titles

Votes: 80 25.6%

• Total voters

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I still think posting every fake cover and 4chan myth does a disservice.

Personally I do not find them worthwhile and repeating the same false stories doesn't make them any more interesting.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
It's a dream combination because they're my two favorite regions, nothing more to it than that lol
I respect the honesty and simplicity of this response but I'll just use it to hash my thoughts out. Feel free to ignore.

This game concept feels like it only exists because of a meta compromise between competing speculation on whether they should or will make a Johto or a Unova game. I'm struggling to see how these two regions compliment each other, and how this idea functions or could exist outside of that context. Maybe I'm being overly literal but seeing people suddenly refer to it as "pipe dream" or "dream game" is what really throws me. I don't understand how anyone could've thought of this game before last week, or how zeal is being mustered over something that is partially sourced to a well known troll.
It's constant that some internet bullshit gets posted and then a fraction of it sounds amazing and people just keep running with it as if it's fact. It's constant and I just remember it being similar to all the stuff from a few years ago where people were convinced that Switch games would be released with every generation on them.
Pretty much in this vein, yeah.

Anxious Absol

Feb 15, 2024
I just don't see a combined Johto and Unova game happening. I guess we could get both a Johto game and a Unova game, but even that seems unlikely.

If we are somehow getting both, it's probably going to be ILCA BW remakes, Legends Unova, and a rerelease of RBY and GSC. This is the more likely scenario, but I still don't think it's going to happen.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
BW 1 and 2 remakes leading into BW 3 would be the ideal and likely the most money they could get. Release the later a few months after the first.

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
I don't understand why people think it's a dream combination. It seems completely arbitrary.
Well as In johto going to Kanto if u go north east across the sea from unova u will end up in johto based on the world map. In unova jasmine is visiting also. A connected remake for me would be a dream

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
BW 1 and 2 remakes leading into BW 3 would be the ideal and likely the most money they could get. Release the later a few months after the first.

Remakes this year setting up for B3W3 next year is about the only way I'd reconcile with the idea of standard remakes existing. If it's just remakes this year and then like Gen 10 next year I'm less understanding.

There's just a bunch of cool stuff they can do with B3W3, especially if significant time has passed. I would say at least a decade since it's been over a decade since B2W2 and they showed with Alola they are fine with doing a big time skip. We'd see continuation of growth in urban region, the kids from Blueberry can show up in their home cities, and of course we can finally finish the Original Dragon we only saw halfway through in B2W2.

There's also other threads they can pick up like Ingo's disappearance (I'd be 99% certain that Game Freak will have made Emmet also disappear after his brother disappeared, and people will be commenting that the Subway is shut down due to their vanishing lol). If Grimsley is still tripping in Alola he will need a replacement in the Elite Four (maybe Benga?). Bianca would for sure be wearing a labcoat by this point too lol. There's probably more they can follow up on and I might start thinking what else if truly BW remakes are announced next week.

They could also maybe have the game transfer in some data from the remakes so at the trilogy finale your Hilbert/Hilda, your Nate/Rosa and your B3W3 character all team up in the big finale, using your teams from previous BW/B2W2 remakes. Which would be a nice bow to wrap up the Unova story, as I doubt we'd be returning to Unova ever again after 3 years of Unova stuff (Indigo Disk, remakes, B3W3).

I've said it before, but I'd really like them to continue moving characters and regions forward more. So B3W3 would be ideal for doing that.

Sorry for rambling lol

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Is it bad that I'm kinda excited? I have no expectations but I'm ready for a new Pokemon regardless of what it ends up being
Super hyped

Also, a reminder: a week left to enter the Pokemon tournament and there's only about 20 spots left. Winner gets $300 and an analog pocket. Everyone guaranteed to play at least two games.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They'll blindside us all on Pokemon day and do a rereprinting of the Pokemon newspaper comic.

Wulava

Jul 18, 2022
Has anyone ever considered that we might get Pokemon Grey? A different retelling of BW, which will disregard the plot B2W2.

Imagine a story of BW but a B2W2 Unova.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Has anyone ever considered that we might get Pokemon Grey? A different retelling of BW, which will disregard the plot B2W2.

Imagine a story of BW but a B2W2 Unova.

That'd be too good to be true, it would heal my OCD and would make my receding hairline disappear, so I can't even entertain the idea.

Also, it would be kind of underwhelming to have normal Kyurem on the cover now that it's got two flashy forms. Unless it gets a new form. Or an evolution.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I still think posting every fake cover and 4chan myth does a disservice.

Personally I do not find them worthwhile and repeating the same false stories doesn't make them any more interesting.
Fake covers are mostly just fan mock-ups speculating on information probvided. They aren't being passed on as real, just a fun thought exercise for artists.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I actually hope we never see the original dragon and it remains a mystery forever. It makes it feel like there are consequences for the dragons' creation and that even by combining aspects of them, you can never put the whole back together again

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
If we did another Legends, I think focusing on Kyurem/the original dragon would be most interesting, as much as I'd love to go back to Johto via Celebi.

I'd be happy going back to Unova or Johto at all though. HG/SS -> B/W was probably the franchise peak for me.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
After not getting a "true form" Arceus in Legends, I'm keeping my expectations in check, even if the Original Dragon is more likely to actually happen. I was so sad.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
I enjoyed the hell out of it tbh

arrested-development-david-cross.gif
I finished a replay of brilliant diamond recently and I enjoyed it a lot even more than the DS games due to the QoL changes such as not having HM anymore. I really appreciate to have a classic Pokémon game, both in gameplay and graphics among the more modern switch Pokémon games.

Man, I may start another playthrough soon.

Jun 5, 2018
The downside to Pokémon being such a huge property, is it means everyone wants something different. We've all got our own preferences, and at some point or another, pokemon's given us our current favourite, only that could be anything, from a main series game in the last nearly 30 years, to the anime, tcg or a spin off, let alone something like coliseum, which gamefreak seems to want to bury.

This makes it impossible to please everyone no matter how hard you try, so instead it's important that they do their own thing, and listen when an overwhelmingly negative reception seems to come out, otherwise it's a loosing battle.

For me for example, I kept up heavily with the series until ultra sun/moon released, and now haven't finished any of the games since, despite buying them and trying(I don't even know all the Pokémon that have come out since gen 8). Now I find myself falling back to the older stuff pre DS era, which I enjoyed the most, since I have doubts anything new will really work for me anymore, for one reason or another.

But there's plenty of people who's favourite game is scarlet/violet, and that's fine, it means the series has changed, and it will continue to do so, we want to believe in ways that will provide our dream game, but as I've learned over the last 25 years, that's not likely to happen.

They have an impossible job here, that's why I think their priority should be to take their time on whatever new game they're working on, and not give themselves any added pressure by revealing it, and working on ways to make every core series game and direct spinoff accessible on the switch/ successor one day. That gives most people access to their favourite game, and removes problems like bank in the future.

Stuff like a remake for gen 2/5 feels unlikely, as does any arceus like sequel, not this soon. I'd be quite worried if they revealed anything like that now, because they'd effectively be one and done with that region for another 20 years, we only really get one shot.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
The downside to Pokémon being such a huge property, is it means everyone wants something different. We've all got our own preferences, and at some point or another, pokemon's given us our current favourite, only that could be anything, from a main series game in the last nearly 30 years, to the anime, tcg or a spin off, let alone something like coliseum, which gamefreak seems to want to bury.

This makes it impossible to please everyone no matter how hard you try, so instead it's important that they do their own thing, and listen when an overwhelmingly negative reception seems to come out, otherwise it's a loosing battle.

For me for example, I kept up heavily with the series until ultra sun/moon released, and now haven't finished any of the games since, despite buying them and trying(I don't even know all the Pokémon that have come out since gen 8). Now I find myself falling back to the older stuff pre DS era, which I enjoyed the most, since I have doubts anything new will really work for me anymore, for one reason or another.

But there's plenty of people who's favourite game is scarlet/violet, and that's fine, it means the series has changed, and it will continue to do so, we want to believe in ways that will provide our dream game, but as I've learned over the last 25 years, that's not likely to happen.

They have an impossible job here, that's why I think their priority should be to take their time on whatever new game they're working on, and not give themselves any added pressure by revealing it, and working on ways to make every core series game and direct spinoff accessible on the switch/ successor one day. That gives most people access to their favourite game, and removes problems like bank in the future.

Stuff like a remake for gen 2/5 feels unlikely, as does any arceus like sequel, not this soon. I'd be quite worried if they revealed anything like that now, because they'd effectively be one and done with that region for another 20 years, we only really get one shot.
Yeah I agree on most counts

I do think something experimental from the GF B team is the most likely, not tied to any previous experimental titles

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Just give me Let's Go Johto please.

That's the only game I have any confidence GF isn't going to fuck up.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

My main problem with Pokémon, is that at least for those of us that are older and have been here since Gen 1, is that they actually got us accustomed to some sort of pattern in the early gens, and at some point they kind of started this obsession of always wanting to be unpredictable with each game.

I think some changes, some progression is inevitable, and new things are exciting too, sometimes. I can't speak about other IPs but in the case of Pokémon I think that sort of predictability was fine, and not just fine but it was even part of its appeal. We had a sense of security, of what was gonna happen next, and we loved it. Things like getting B2W2 instead of Gray, might feel normal in hindsight or for some people it might've been exciting. To me and my OCD it was like 🫥 and that was just the beginning of a long string of "unpredictable" events each generation after that.

Pokémon as a franchise in general is so rich, and the Pokémon characters and just all the premises of the series like their typings, their abilities, their moves, even the items, etc, it all could lead to all sorts of ideas for different games and gameplay mechanics, visual styles, etc that could appeal to all kinds of audiences. If they feel like doing something different for a change, they should go on and create a new spin-off instead of changing in this case the mainline games for example which are already known and loved for being a certain way.

I'd love to see GameFreak develop a spin-off for example, invest all the time and effort they normally put on a main series, but go wild and break the restraints of having to keep some compatibility or the battle system, etc, and make a whole new series in the Pokémon world and sell it to us like the spin-off it is. Main series lovers may not like it, but it's ok, this isn't for them, but to appeal to a different audience.

Mainline games already built a huge fanbase since the early generations, what was the need to keep changing it to attract more people or other kind of people, when we could just get more proper spin-offs that appeal to those other audiences.

Just like Mario has the platform games, and then there's Mario Kart, Mario Party, the sports games, Pokémon should also have this kind of subseries, and up to Gen 4 that seemed to be the future, but spin-offs have gotten so little love since then, and actually devolved into mobile apps, and it's just sad.

Jun 5, 2018
My main problem with Pokémon, is that at least for those of us that are older and have been here since Gen 1, is that they actually got us accustomed to some sort of pattern in the early gens, and at some point they kind of started this obsession of always wanting to be unpredictable with each game.

I think some changes, some progression is inevitable, and new things are exciting too, sometimes. I can't speak about other IPs but in the case of Pokémon I think that sort of predictability was fine, and not just fine but it was even part of its appeal. We had a sense of security, of what was gonna happen next, and we loved it. Things like getting B2W2 instead of Gray, might feel normal in hindsight or for some people it might've been exciting. To me and my OCD it was like 🫥 and that was just the beginning of a long string of "unpredictable" events each generation after that.

Pokémon as a franchise in general is so rich, and the Pokémon characters and just all the premises of the series like their typings, their abilities, their moves, even the items, etc, it all could lead to all sorts of ideas for different games and gameplay mechanics, visual styles, etc that could appeal to all kinds of audiences. If they feel like doing something different for a change, they should go on and create a new spin-off instead of changing in this case the mainline games for example which are already known and loved for being a certain way.

I'd love to see GameFreak develop a spin-off for example, invest all the time and effort they normally put on a main series, but go wild and break the restraints of having to keep some compatibility or the battle system, etc, and make a whole new series in the Pokémon world and sell it to us like the spin-off it is. Main series lovers may not like it, but it's ok, this isn't for them, but to appeal to a different audience.

Mainline games already built a huge fanbase since the early generations, what was the need to keep changing it to attract more people or other kind of people, when we could just get more proper spin-offs that appeal to those other audiences.

Just like Mario has the platform games, and then there's Mario Kart, Mario Party, the sports games, Pokémon should also have this kind of subseries, and up to Gen 4 that seemed to be the future, but spin-offs have gotten so little love since then, and actually devolved into mobile apps, and it's just sad.
This is sort of what I mean, it's such a large franchise, that it's caused millions of divides like this, I just don't think it's something we can fix, they've got enough steam power to move on there own now, they've gone beyond the level where the genie can go back in the bottle so to speak. To be honest, I've sort of lost hope, nowadays I speculate between announcement and release, and then stop until the next one, because I know they won't cater to me, I've accepted that.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
I think a new remake by ILCA would be better than BDSP. Maybe I'm wrong, but iirc these games were rushed in a short time. I'm sure if they are given a bigger development time the games could be great.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I think a new remake by ILCA would be better than BDSP. Maybe I'm wrong, but iirc these games were rushed in a short time. I'm sure if they are given a bigger development time the games could be great.
ILCA does have their hands pretty full at the moment though, what with Sand Land and being a support studio and all. Granted, the former is gearing up to launch and I'm not entirely sure what their staffing situation looks like.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I legit think a good Legends game could carry this holiday. We'll see if that's what they have cooking, though.

I think it has to be that, but Im hoping for stronger concept of what Legends tried to do. Not looking forward to clumsy feeling boss battles and having to catch the same pokemon over and over for "research" as the primary content.