• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Pokemon Switch Come Out This Year?

• Yes

Votes: 554 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 181 17.0%
  • Lol

Votes: 332 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseyVGCx

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Wow, 300 pages and 200+ of them are absolutely nothing and the few that are "something" are just rumors and educated speculation of those rumors but not even 33% of the thread. Maybe it's a better idea to just let this thread die until real news are out.

o7uSOmD.png

????

Yes, even though most of the "rumors" and "leaks" are BS and random twitter posts. It's just better to have all those potentially fake rumors in this thread. If the rumor/leaks/news was actually confirmed and was actually from a good source, most likely there would be a new thread based on that.

Just let people have their fun and be hyped. If people are disappointed in the case of fake rumors/news, that's their fault for believing in a non-legit or unofficial source.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Reversal mountain looks pretty great, especially im B2.
86.png

I really love the look of gen 4 and 5 in mountain areas and the way elevation looks. Victory road in BW2 also looks really cool.
maxresdefault.jpg
Yeah, BW2 can look really great. In some areas I think it looks better than HGSS, but it's very inconsistent.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
ORAS announcement was weird as hell

To this day I don't know what were they thinking when they decided to upload this "footage":

They didn't even bother with the audio!

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
ORAS announcement was weird as hell

To this day I don't know what were they thinking when they decided to upload this "footage":

They didn't even bother with the audio!

This was such an uninspiring and stupid first reveal for in-game stuff.

Seeing Ethan/Hibiki/HGSS MC walking around in New Bark Town where they took the winds of a new beginning theme literally with the effects, and seeing Chikorita walk around made me 100% sure it was going to be an amazing game lol. Blew my mind.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This was such an uninspiring and stupid first reveal for in-game stuff.

Seeing Ethan/Hibiki/HGSS MC walking around in New Bark Town where they took the winds of a new beginning theme literally with the effects, and seeing Chikorita walk around made me 100% sure it was going to be an amazing game lol. Blew my mind.
Yea, the first shot should have been from the intro with brendan or may on the bike and seeing latias overhead.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the next Pokemon direct to feature nothing but 3DS spinoff news and no mention to be made of Pokemon switch at all. Then some guy from GF will be interviewed and act really surprised when the internet has a collective shit fit.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No matter what the next Pokémon games are we'll all buy it. It'll suck of course if they don't meet any persons expectations, but we'll still buy it.

If it's gen 8 I'm buying day 1. If it's contemporary Kanto I'm buying it day 1. If it's diamon and pearl remake I'm buying it day 1. I need my new Pokémon fix lol

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
No matter what the next Pokémon games are we'll all buy it. It'll suck of course if they don't meet any persons expectations, but we'll still buy it.

If it's gen 8 I'm buying day 1. If it's contemporary Kanto I'm buying it day 1. If it's diamon and pearl remake I'm buying it day 1. I need my new Pokémon fix lol

I mean i bitch now about "ugh Kanto again" but i'd buy it anyways I'm a sucker for Pokemon.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

If it's just a frlg remake in gen 7 engine I'm not.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Gen 8: will buy regardless of if they fail to make the strides in world-design, production values, and presentation they desperately need to make as long as there is a decent-sized batch of new monsters (including variants) and an appropriate amount of campaign/postgame content

- Gen 7 taking place in an old region with less than ~50-60 new monsters: will be my first ever hard pass on getting a Pokemon game at launch unless it takes aforementioned improvements to the way the game world is developed

- Gen 4 remakes: will buy pretty much regardless because my expectations for remakes are a little more lenient

Getting a new Pokemon fix will mean nothing to me unless there is a substantial amount of new, a huge leap forward in their map-crafting and overall presentation efforts, a campaign that isn't a combination of piss-easy and underwhelmingly short, or some mix of these three things.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I remember when people were theorizing that it was a sequel based off the "explore a dramatic new world" along with the different looking Groudon and Kyogre
Just goes to show that the marketing speak in all the reveals is meaningless.

"It all comes together" with Sun & Moon, for example. This caused some people to think the series was about to end and be rebooted. It's not. One YouTuber went mad with his theory based on this, doing long videos explaining Pokémon is about to end/reboot.
"The more you battle with your Pokémon, the stronger your bond becomes" with X & Y. What the hell does that even mean?

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

"It all comes together" with Sun & Moon, for example. This caused some people to think the series was about to end and be rebooted. It's not. One YouTuber went mad with his theory based on this, doing long videos explaining Pokémon is about to end/reboot.
"The more you battle with your Pokémon, the stronger your bond becomes" with X & Y. What the hell does that even mean?

lol, poor Lockstin. I remember those videos.
That was some 12/10, A+ theorycrafting though (GF should hire him).

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah in the recent titles, GF has been a fan of including their new mechanic in the logos. Something I kind of wish was carried over to the English versions.
I hate the fact that we're forever stuck with the gawdy 90's logo in the west while Japan and Korea get new logos every game.
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum all released on DS, an extraordinarily popular system that almost everyone owned. They were some of the best selling and widely played Pokemon games ever, and it is still very easy to get a copy of the games. Especially in Japan, where older games take longer to stop being supplied. You can walk into a Gamestop and you'll still probably find the game there. In Japan, I can only imagine it's the same deal. They also are very close to modern Pokemon, as they released after Wifi. The 3DS is also still being supported by Nintendo, and is compatible with D/P/Pt. The average person interested in Pokemon can play the game with next to no issue.

Comparatively, Ruby and Sapphire released on Game Boy Advance, which, while popular, sold considerably less than the DS. By 2013, when ORAS likely began development, it was no longer reasonable to assume local retailers would have copies of the game readily available. The DS was no longer really supported by Nintendo, and the 3DS had no compatibility with Game Boy Advance. Certain Pokemon in Gen 3 were difficult to obtain legitimately at that point, as those games were not released with Wifi, and some didn't return often for later titles.

If people want to play Gen 4, they can find the original extremely easily. Also, FireRed and LeafGreen are older than D/P/Pt, and are pretty much guaranteed to sell way better. They also are not compatible with Wifi either. If Game Freak wants to continue being traditionalist, they will remake Gen 1 again. If they want to break the mold, they will likely focus their efforts on making an evolved Pokemon game with higher production values. Either way, Gen 4 is not a priority.

Plus, ORAS was likely a much easier game to develop, since you could very easily reuse assets from XY on a popular console where revenue was basically free in comparison to developing a high budget Switch title. The Switch is a perfect time to start breaking out of the yearly mold, and remaking Gen 4 instead of Gen 1 doesn't really make any sense.

Way more people are interested in a gigantic revamp of Gen 1, or a new take on Pokemon.

Addendum:
i also think sinnoh is a really poor region in general. not only did d/p have problems with game speed, hm bloat, and poor type balance, the region is a nightmare to explore and has lackluster aesthetics. it also didn't capture the feeling of adventure like the games before it. it's too mellow and the plotline is too out of pocket for a pokemon game.
Availability isn't the reason they do remakes, and if it was a new Kanto game would be further off since they recently released the Gen 1 games on 3DS.
Remakes are made for multiple reasons;
1. They make money
2. As time passes people get nostalgia for older games
3. They can make it easier to obtain some older Pokemon
4. It allows them to bring older games into the modern standard
5. They can introduce new fans to games they missed

It doesn't matter if you can still find the Gen 4 games, that is a non factor for doing a remake, Gens 1 and 2 sold far better than Gen 4 and that didn't stop those from being remade.
Also new Gen 1 games wouldn't stop them from remaking Gen 4. It feels like you are arguing against the first Switch games being Gen 4 remakes, but pretty much nobody is suggesting that they will be, they're just talking about what could be done when they do get remade, because it will happen eventually.
You say we don't need Gen 4 remakes, but the series has changed a lot since that Gen and who knows how much different it will be in Gen 8, the Gen that we will likely get the DP remakes.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
lol, poor Lockstin. I remember those videos.
That was some 12/10, A+ theorycrafting though (GF should hire him).
He made a fair few leaps, like saying the release date was evidence. Then using the anime as evidence thinking it ended with a certain episode just because we didn't have titles beyond that episode at that point.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
HGSS reveal was perfect, simply because of the involvement of Pokemon Sunday and the insanity revolving the lead up to the reveals. This whole twitter storm is tame in actuality if you were around back then. For a week, I shit you not a whole week, the forums where up in arms because half of the members thought a new game one year after platinum was too soon and if it is it won't be Johto remakes, and the other half were sure Johto remakes were coming for sure. Why a week, and why did I mention Pokemon Sunday? Because the whole debate was based on an episode preview that promised news, with them celebrating the news with Gold and Silver Foil party poppers ornamenting the stage. Its why I will never not see clues where there shouldn't be TPCi and especially Pokemon Japan has a very notorious history.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's just a frlg remake in gen 7 engine I'm not.

- Gen 8: will buy regardless of if they fail to make the strides in world-design, production values, and presentation they desperately need to make as long as there is a decent-sized batch of new monsters (including variants) and an appropriate amount of campaign/postgame content

- Gen 7 taking place in an old region with less than ~50-60 new monsters: will be my first ever hard pass on getting a Pokemon game at launch unless it takes aforementioned improvements to the way the game world is developed

- Gen 4 remakes: will buy pretty much regardless because my expectations for remakes are a little more lenient

Getting a new Pokemon fix will mean nothing to me unless there is a substantial amount of new, a huge leap forward in their map-crafting and overall presentation efforts, a campaign that isn't a combination of piss-easy and underwhelmingly short, or some mix of these three things.

Did you guys buy US/UM? Because I sure as heck didn't buy it.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
He made a fair few leaps, like saying the release date was evidence. Then using the anime as evidence thinking it ended with a certain episode just because we didn't have titles beyond that episode at that point.

A few Farfetch'd :P ideas sure, but the whole alchemy / flower / hawai lore theory crafting was very well done.

Superbadr

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
So, it just struck me:

-Doesn't Game Freak have to distribute Eternal Floette eventually before Gen8?

-Werent they visiting french caves AGAIN last year?

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, it just struck me:

-Doesn't Game Freak have to distribute Eternal Floette eventually before Gen8?

-Werent they visiting french caves AGAIN last year?
I mean, Eternal Floette was coded into Gen VI and didn't end up getting released, so I frankly wouldn't be surprised if Game Freak have straight-up abandoned that idea.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you guys buy US/UM? Because I sure as heck didn't buy it.

I did, but I don't think that has a whole lot to do with my expectations for a game on new hardware following two generations basically defined by the hardware limitations.

I more or less did a blackout for USUM, so I didn't exactly know what was coming when I got US. I expected typical third version fare, which was kind of fine for me since there were still new Pokémon I wanted to play the campaign with, and also move tutors were something I was wanting. I walked away from it somewhere between having got what I expected and mildly disappointed. I think it's by far the most lackluster third version ever for me.

Just because I bought third versions or you skipped them doesn't mean Kanto in HD SM engine is suddenly a great idea. Independent from my thoughts on USUM, Pokémon Switch really needs to aspire to be much more than it was on 3DS, and that means in terms of breadth of content for all kinds of players, online and offline.

Whether or not it's a """""New Generation,""""" it's a new game on hardware that lends it potential its literally never had. Kanto in SM HD would be almost laughable if many of the sensibilities from the 3DS games come along. At the very least there would have to be a huge chunk of Pokémon and campaign content for it to be something that interests me.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
That wasn't even the reveal haha, this was

Came the day before the FY 2013/4 investor meeting...

Wow, this is horrible. Not even the usual music in the background? Did they make that video like on the day they have uploaded it or what lol

If someone posted it on 4chan back then no one would believe them that this could be a legit announcement from Nintendo.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Independent from the twitter "leakers", completely lacking of any insider knowledge and in general just a really ezctiable fan. But today I have a strong feeling if the game is 2018, we will get a Pokemon Direcrt announcement for Wednesday or Thursday. If not today, tomorrow.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I remember having discussions on smaller boards about how they were maybe teasing a revamp of the friendship system.

Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.