• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 23, 2019
People have voted with their wallets and they are satisfied with SwSh. It's not without its issues, but it is still a fun game and I can see why it is selling the way it is.

I'd say it's more due to being the first true console Pokemon game. Anecdote, but I know plenty of people who weren't interested in the older Pokemon games on 3DS getting excited and buying it on Switch and playing on the big screen at home.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Let's just remember that in Japan alone already this month it has sold just shy of 400k

So it very likely has beaten RS, XY and SM by now

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So we thinking G/S will be toppled, especially no 3rd Version to eat it's legs?

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
*Sigh*
What's the point...

The first Pokemon game I choose not to buy to show disatisfaction, and it goes on outsell the last 2 gens...
At least I'll have Rescue Team DX.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Let that sink in:

By the end of this year, Pokémon Sword and Shield will be the best sold Pokémon game of the last 20 years.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Certainly paints the hysteria over Pikachu & Eevee's "lackluster" sales in a new light, lol

Raids are a really smart addition, as is moving towards DLC instead of releasing replacement titles

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Good job on the boycott, guys!

Absolutely ridiculous. The most cynical, soulless games in the series selling the most since Gold and Silver.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
*Sigh*
What's the point...

The first Pokemon game I choose not to buy to show disatisfaction, and it goes on outsell the last 2 gens...
Mate, they're great games. They're not perfect but you should give them a shot, even if it's through second hand

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Their decision to go with DLC instead of a 3rd version is about to pay off tremendously

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Holy Crap with around 41 million Switches sold worldwide LTD that's an attach rate of about 41%. Absolute insanity that it is selling so well.

I actually really enjoyed the game even if it felt quite rushed. It's the first Pokemon I have actually gotten around to finishing since Diamond/Pearl. I'm hoping the DLC does a better job of managing end game content so there's more to do besides raids.

Edit:
Oh I see they released updated numbers for Switch as well it's at 52.48 million now. 30% is still damn impressive.

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
*Sigh*
What's the point...

Don't not buy something expecting others do the same, do it because you personally didn't want to spend $60 on something you didn't enjoy.

Sword/Shield is also the first Pokemon game in the mainline series that I haven't bought, but I'm under no illusions that it has any impact on the overall sales.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Certainly paints the hysteria over Pikachu & Eevee's "lackluster" sales in a new light, lol

Raids are a really smart addition, as is moving towards DLC instead of releasing replacement titles
I can see why Gamefreak seems reluctant to continue the Let's Go series

In hindsight it didn't make much sense, Pokemon is already simple enough for anyone to pick up and play

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Let that sink in:

By the end of this year, Pokémon Sword and Shield will be the best sold Pokémon game of the last 20 years.

PRetty impressive. I say giving the games a year to keep growing and not having a third version this year REALLY helps. Letting the DLC just elevate it higher makes so much sense.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I can see why Gamefreak seems reluctant to continue the Let's Go series

In hindsight it didn't make much sense, Pokemon is already simple enough for anyone to pick up and play
I wonder, though, if that bridge between Go and that initial push for Pokemon fans to start getting or saving up for the Switch translated into this incredible launch

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
im speechless..... so they never have to change

That's what I'm thinking too... On one hand it is nice to see my beloved childhood game series thrive more than ever, on the other hand there are by now so many oudated aspects of this games series and so many ways it could improve. With numbers like that we won't see much of an improvement, because they simply don't need to to make big bank.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
It's nuts but I'm not too surprised. The engagement for this game feels way higher than any of the previous titles in my social circle.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
230cefffc5df58a455ab391a4df6802d.gif

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Really impressive! Not the best Pokémon I've played, but the first to get me to complete a Pokédex. Go Dragapult!

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
With no new game out this year and an expansion pass, I think it's safe to call 20m lifetime a lock. First Pokemon game of the 21st century to accomplish this feat.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Let's Go was only lackluster in Japan really. The west carried that game.

SWSH has sold 4.2m in Japan so that's no longer a concern

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
Holy sh**.

Swsh is easily the best gen since Ruby and sapphire, and it totally deserves it.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Let's just remember that in Japan alone already this month it has sold just shy of 400k

So it very likely has beaten RS, XY and SM by now

The japanese fanbase is incredibly engaged in comparison to previous entries. Fanart everywhere especially from the new trainers, comics, sharing trainers OCs and gameplay clips from the overworld pokemon and camp that can even surpass the 100k likes.
Keep in mind that Twitter is used the most by Japan despite the population.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Gold/Silver will eventually be in play here. Historically it seems impossible but Switch software has been bucking history since the system came out so who the heck even knows anymore.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Nice! Like most folks I was pretty upset after the news of the national dex cut but after I picked it up and actually started playing it I wound up putting more time into Sword and Shield than any other game in the series since Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Mate, they're great games. They're not perfect but you should give them a shot, even if it's through second hand
Not after they took away my option to turn off the EXP Share.
I know what to expect gameplay wise.
Let's Go was... So goddamn bad. So goddamn easy, even when I gimped myself by avoiding partner Eevee in battle.
They just keep taking away features. I can't do this anymore.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Serebii tells people to buy Pokémon game, news at 11.
The japanese fanbase is incredibly engaged in comparison to previous entries. Fanart everywhere especially from the new trainers, comics, sharing trainers OCs and gameplay clips from the overworld pokemon and camp that can even surpass the 100k likes.
Keep in mind that Twitter is used the most by Japan despite the population.
That's bananas. I do think Sword and Shield nailed the new human character designs, especially the gym leaders.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
And to think this had more criticism than let's go Pikachu and eevee. Dexit was nothing major. Game Freak should be incredibly happy. Now imagine the expansion pass with nearly all the Pokémon back. This is gonna be the best selling Pokémon game ever.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
First pokemon game I bought since Red lol. I'm much more of a console gamer. I understand the issues people have with the game but having not played one in 20 years I enjoyed it, probably not getting the DLC though.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Let's Go was... So goddamn bad. So goddamn easy, even when I gimped myself by avoiding partner Eevee in battle.
Even with EXP share on, unless you spend ages grinding away you may find a challenge here and there. It's like USUM somewhat.

But to each their own. SWSH are my second favourite Pokémon games and you know how long I've been doing this :)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
No shame in abandoning something you used to love. I was obsessed with the simpsons for a while and then just totally dropped it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The National Dex stuff was never going to have an impact on sales and that was obvious. Those type of things pretty much never do.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh goodness imagine if they actually manage to convert even some of these buyers into Pokemon Home subscribers.