• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The National Dex stuff was never going to have an impact on sales and that was obvious. Those type of things pretty much never do.
Yeah, it was an extremely vocal small minority.

I've seen the analytics. It's mostly the same 20 to 30 people on Pokémon posts, on Serebii posts etc. regurgitating the same point.

Sure, people were mad at first, enmass, but it died down.

How is it confusing? These games are so much worse than gen 4 and 5.
Subjective. I consider them better.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
My first Pokémon game since gold, but also my last. Fucking waste of time. Some monsters look literally like trash and... yeah, the story. Whatever. Congratulations, maybe in 10 years.

Jun 2, 2019
How is it confusing? These games are so much worse than gen 4 and 5.

But they aren't. They really aren't. I have been playing the series since the start, and found the gameplay loop and QoL improvements to me SwSh one of the better games of the series. Is just so much more satisfactory to play, it has become my main Switch game, wich is saying something given my library

gaiadyne

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is better than X/Y and Sun/Moon so I'm pleased with these results. Game wasn't nearly as bad as the pre-release drama made it seem like.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Well deserved. Best Pokémon title in several years and a ton of really smart design choices that have me excited for the future of the franchise (just improve the online UX plz).

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Oof. Happy for the other titles from Ninty that are quality but I do wish something would light the fire under GF asses. Even if the general audience liked S&S fine at this rate the franchise will be in this eternal stagnation mode.

I do hope the next titles can bring the hype.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad Pokemon going console was so unsuccessful.

Time to release a 4ds.
Funny enough that's the reason why I was able to contribute to the big ass number lol. I haven't had a Nintendo handheld since I was a kid, and the last Pokemon I had was Gold. Once I knew a new proper Pokémon game was coming out on switch, I bought it day 1 and I've enjoyed the hell out of it.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Not after they took away my option to turn off the EXP Share.
I know what to expect gameplay wise.
Let's Go was... So goddamn bad. So goddamn easy, even when I gimped myself by avoiding partner Eevee in battle.
They just keep taking away features. I can't do this anymore.

Ignore the candies and you'll definitely be kept on your toes in the game: The EXP share is pretty nerfed all things considered and serves as a good QOL improvement akin to EXP sharing in the later PMD games. It's easily my favorite of the base pair games to date so it may be worth a look after the DLC launches. Or stick to PMD DX since dear me I reallllly want that game to do 5 million or more the spinoffs need that

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
For comparison, here are the numbers for launch to December 31st in respective launch years since launches were worldwide
X/Y: 11.61 million
ORAS: 9.35 million
Sun/Moon: 14.69 million
USUM: 7.17 million
Let's Go: 10 million

SM was in a bigger userbase and during GO hype.

This is nuts

Not to mention that Sun and Moon had their legs cut by USUM the bext year, while SWSH have DLC which will help legs. Excited to see the final total on these.

Oct 31, 2017
The only game in the series that I've been interested in enough to try is Colosseum because it seemed ambitious and different from the rest. Guess it's going to stay that way.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it would've sold 32 million if my beloved Carbink (see avatar) were in there

Unless Carbink is in the Expansion Pass. Or maybe Pokemon: Carbink Edition.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
But they aren't. They really aren't. I have been playing the series since the start, and found the gameplay loop and QoL improvements to me SwSh one of the better games of the series. Is just so much more satisfactory to play, it has become my main Switch game, wich is saying something given my library
I've been playing since the start too, and I don't see it that way at all, but oh well. Just my opinion. I'm done with this.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Now imagine if they do a re-release with the DLC included early next year.

This could end up being the best selling entry since the original Red and Blue

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oof. Happy for the other titles from Ninty that are quality but I do wish something would light the fire under GF asses. Even if the general audience liked S&S fine at this rate the franchise will be in this eternal stagnation mode.

I do hope the next titles can bring the hype.
That has happened. A lot of the design decisions in Generation 7 were in response to Yo-kai Watch being considerable competition. Those design choices are things people dislike.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I used to rank gen 4 highly, but them a few months ago and my opinion changed. Those games have like the opposite problem of what the common complaints for gen 8 are.

Well deserved. Best Pokémon title in several years and a ton of really smart design choices that have me excited for the future of the franchise (just improve the online UX plz).
Yeah, I'm personally happy with the game, though I would like to see certain things improved.

They saved 60 dollars to spend on other activities.
Many of them probably ended up buying the games anyways lol

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's a jawdropping number tbh.

Glas that they are building on this success with the DLC. Really excited for this and what's to come for the franchise.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
ooof, that will learn em a lesson to those Gamefreak guys....

and some people will jump in on DLC release.

Im Glad, like obviously a lot of people I didnt care about dexit, liked the game and the gym battles and trainer animations are the hypest ever, maybe they knew what they were doing. totally deserved.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I think they're one of the strongest first pairs in a generation we've gotten. I enjoy them more than X/Y and S/M, but they feel a little too streamlined for my tastes. I love the games but I hope the lack of exploration and dungeons is something addressed in gen 9 (though it already seems like one of the expansions is addressing this, so here's hoping).

I can't believe we're in a timeline where we might be getting sales on par with the 90's games in 2020 . Absolutely insane, I'm happy for gamefreak.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
let's be honest. They probably spent $60 or more on Pokémon SwSh despite their protests.
Many of them probably ended up buying the games anyways lol
As if they didn't cave anyway if they're posting 24/7 on r/pokemon
I was assuming "Dexiter" here meant anyone who complained about the removal of the National Dex and not weird obsessive twitter refuse.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
man i really hope this goes on the sell more then GS now, what a turn of events that would be

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
I wonder, though, if that bridge between Go and that initial push for Pokemon fans to start getting or saving up for the Switch translated into this incredible launch

It definitely worked for me personally. Let's Go got me back on the Pokémon train - my first since ruby/sapphire. Just an accessible bit of nostalgia to ease me back into the series. And then I bought Pokémon Sword in opening week (and since ordered the dlc). GameFreak know what they're doing!

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Hot damn. Guess the idea of this doing usual Pokémon numbers goes out the window. I can see this doing 20 million now.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're one of the strongest first pairs in a generation we've gotten. I enjoy them more than X/Y and S/M, but they feel a little too streamlined for my tastes. I love the games but I hope the lack of exploration and dungeons is something addressed in gen 9 (though it already seems like one of the expansions is addressing this, so here's hoping).

I can't believe we're in a timeline where we might be getting sales on par with the 90's games in 2020 . Absolutely insane, I'm happy for gamefreak.
My guess is that the big thing for gen 9 will be expanding the Wild Area concept and doing more "complex" level design with it.

I was assuming "Dexiter" here meant anyone who complained about the removal of the National Dex and not weird obsessive twitter refuse.
Yeah, and you have people that either ended up caving or stopped caring and bought it anyways.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game and easily the best generation since Diamond and Pearl, I couldn't even finish the other ones out of boredom (especially Black and White). The game looks nice and runs (refering to load times and offline mostly) pretty well too.
They added a lot of nice QOL features like changeable natures or the way random encounters work.

Here is to the expansion pass!